The Education Forum

Seymour Weitzman saw a different scope too

Hi Sandy, here's another part of the rifle to consider.....

Look at the size of the bolt in the top photo with Lt. Day holding the rifle above his head......now look at the size of the bolt(in a vertical position) in the tsbd rifle.....do they look identical to you?

A.J

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my final issue with these two images/possibly different rifles... look at where the bolt housing indentation is made in the stock...the small u shaped space.

In the tsbd rifle its directly above the trigger.....in the dpd station image its at least 3/4 of an inch forward of the trigger.

A.J

Also here's another thought......what if the rifle found in TSBD is the Klein's 36" mc but the rifle shown in dpd hq is a Klein's 40"mc and stays as the rifle in evidence. 

A.J

20220626_031218.jpg

Edited by Adam Johnson
Add image

8 hours ago, Adam Johnson said:

Hi Sandy, here's another part of the rifle to consider.....

Look at the size of the bolt in the top photo with Lt. Day holding the rifle above his head......now look at the size of the bolt(in a vertical position) in the tsbd rifle.....do they look identical to you?

A.J

Hi Adam,

In the photo with the guy looking down at the rifle, it appears to me that the bolt handle is neither up (vertical) nor down (normal). It's partway up. It looks like it is up just enough that I am looking at the knob at the end of the handle. In other words, the handle is horizontal and hidden behind that knob. Because of that I cannot tell how long the handle is.

The knob is a little bit above the bolt, and that is due to the bend in the handle. (I hope the way I worded this post is understandable.)

8 hours ago, Adam Johnson said:

Here's my final issue with these two images/possibly different rifles... look at where the bolt housing indentation is made in the stock...the small u shaped space.

In the tsbd rifle its directly above the trigger.....in the dpd station image its at least 3/4 of an inch forward of the trigger.

A.J

I think I have it figured out.

Look at the photo where the guy is holding the rifle above his head. The bolt is closed and its handle is down... the normal "loaded" position. And, yes, the handle is down in the small u shaped space in the stock.

Keep looking at that picture and imagine doing the following. Lift the handle and pull the bolt back. It stops. Right below the bolt handle is ANOTHER space in the stock. This one is like half a u. At this point the bolt handle is horizontal and we can't see it because it's behind that round knob. But it is  sticking up above the bolt a little due to the bend in the handle.

This is what we see in the other photo. The bolt handle is above the trigger because it is pulled back!

So, one must believe that Dallas County Sheriff Roger Craig is lying in the video below at the 12 minute mark when he describes constable Seymour Weitzman saying "it looks like a Mauser" upon seeing the rifle being held up by it's carrying strap by Captain Will Fritz...and then after walking up to get a six inch away look Craig quotes Weitzman as saying "it is a Mauser."

Craig got that close to the rifle himself and states that "stamped right on the barrel was 7.65 Mauser."

But this story by Craig was all a lie?

Made up for some personal gain reasons such as notoriety seeking?

Yet, there is no doubt that Craig "was" right there when Weitzman looked at the rifle and made the statements he made. Weitzman himself said in public interviews he did say exactly what Craig said he said.

Like a thousand other testimonies by people in some way connected to the overall story that contradict the WC summary, we are just left with two choices.

Believe Weitzman or Craig...or not believe.

Regards Roger Craig in this Two Men In Dallas Documentary and his recollection of the Seymour Weitzman found rifle I.D. story ... I choose to believe Craig.

mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CMuk4ZUG&r
71K views1 year ago

With Mark Lane and Roger Craig (1974

Edited by Joe Bauer

Hi Joe,

I'm actually saying that the rifle Lt.Day is pictured inspecting in the TSBD building and the rifle displayed at Dallas police hq later that night maybe 2 different rifles. Whether one was a mauser and one was a caucano, i cant say. Weissman i believe recanted his mauser statement at some point in late 63/64 but maybe that was under duress. 

A.J

20220628_063414.jpg

20220628_063520.jpg

18 hours ago, Adam Johnson said:

Hi Joe,

I'm actually saying that the rifle Lt.Day is pictured inspecting in the TSBD building and the rifle displayed at Dallas police hq later that night maybe 2 different rifles. Whether one was a mauser and one was a caucano, i cant say. Weissman i believe recanted his mauser statement at some point in late 63/64 but maybe that was under duress. 

A.J

20220628_063414.jpg

20220628_063520.jpg

Hard to tell if both pictured rifles are identical due to varying contrasts, but I think the highlighted differences are due to the upper featured rifle’s bolt handle being drawn back - as in a reload action - but not all the way, as the chamber doesn’t seem to be exposed. The bolt does seem to extend a wee bit further over the stock grip more on the upper pic.

In the Mark Lane "Two Men In Dallas" documentary we see and hear Sheriff Roger Craig describe Constable Seymour Weitzman's actions and words regards identifying the 6th floor found rifle while it was being held up by the strap by Captain Will Fritz.

First we know Craig was right there next to Weitzman at that time.

No debate there.

Craig tells us that Weitzman first blurted out "it looks like a Mauser, when Weitzman saw the rifle from at least a few feet away.

Craig then states something Weitzman left out in the video above where Weitzman confesses his "to my sorrow" sins in saying he "thought" the rifle was a Mauser.

And that is Weitzman walking up closer and examining the rifle "from just inches away"... and then "reaffirming" his first blurted out but farther away ID.

"It is a Mauser."

Indicating a "twice repeated" Mauser ID by Weitzman. One from feet away and one just inches away.

Craig ( himself just inches away) even claims you could see " 7.65 Mauser" stamped right on the barrel.

Can anyone here provide a close up picture of a Mauser showing that ID stamp on the barrel?

See the source image

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Can anyone here provide a close up picture of a Mauser showing that ID stamp on the barrel?

Hi Joe,

I dont doubt that Wietzman said what he said and roger craig said what he said. But mausers and carcanos look very similar....let me show you some pictures. Mausers were around in the 1st WW and WWII. Heres a pick of an MK98 the most common version of a mauser from 1944....you can see some barrel markings...

The second image is from a picture i had on file of mauser rifles from 1912 to 1948...note the decorative changes to the forestock(similar to carcano) also bolt indent in earlier year models and strap attachment points of later two models.

20220629_055920.jpg

20220629_055820.jpg

2 hours ago, Adam Johnson said:

Hi Joe,

I dont doubt that Wietzman said what he said and roger craig said what he said. But mausers and carcanos look very similar....let me show you some pictures. Mausers were around in the 1st WW and WWII. Heres a pick of an MK98 the most common version of a mauser from 1944....you can see some barrel markings...

The second image is from a picture i had on file of mauser rifles from 1912 to 1948...note the decorative changes to the forestock(similar to carcano) also bolt indent in earlier year models and strap attachment points of later two models.

20220629_055920.jpg

20220629_055820.jpg

Thank you.

In Pete's photo the Mauser stamp is so clear and obvious.