The Education Forum

A Statement Regarding the Future of the Forum

When you have an agreed a leader, that person should get in touch with me.

I will  introduce them to Invision.

Kathy has reminded me that the leader will need two bank accounts.All payments to Invision needs to be in a separate bank account. You should not use your personal account.

james

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, James R Gordon said:

I am in the UK and it might have been easier for me. The issues you make Cory were never issues for me.

Of course you can get in touch with Invision, but it might be easier if done through me.

James

Then tell them you don’t have funds and members need to be able to pay it directly.   

7 minutes ago, James R Gordon said:

I would suggest that time is running out.
I have made my last payment to Invision. Their next payment is due on September 4th.
During that time you need a leader that is acceptable to the membership and remaining admin members.
That person must have the agreement of Invision and able to demonstrate to Invision they can fund the EF.
Invision will need the person’s bank details so that Invision can take their monthly subscription from that person's bank account.
So there is a lot to get through and not a lot of time to complete it.

James

Just give me an address ( and party of payment ) to send my $50 check. I can get this out by tomorrow.

I feel guilty.

I have not sent any monetary donations to our great forum here ever. 

This forum has provided me with YEARS of the most fulfilling and enlightened engagement with an area of passionate interest that I have ever been involved with.

My wife regularly donates to public radio and specifically a local non-profit all volunteer FM station out of Cupertino that plays music she loves.

About time I did the same with the JFK Education and Debate forum which has provided me with thousands of hours of richly stimulating and informative engagement with some of the most highly esteemed and credentialed JFK researchers in the country.

I hope more than 10 of us respond to our forum in it's time of need!

The present admin tean I believe had just 2 weeks to take over.

How we achieved that was I was the finnancial leader and I paid the subscription until we got ourselves settled.

Donations are the way to go - but maybe that comes after someone has taken over. maybe for the first month or two that person funds the EF giving you time to organise donations.

James

To figure out who is going to take over, I suggest the following, which I am happy to do:

Create post on forum asking for people interested in taking over to state as such. 

The deadline for submissions will be this Friday at 12:00 noon Eastern.

After that, I will create a poll with the candidates and publish to the forum. Most votes will be the new "leader".

Sound like a plan?

The Paypal account sounds like a great idea. We need one person to manage it for The Education Forum, but not to have income for the EF to show up as personal income for tax purposes.

In Indiana, where I live, you can start a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation for a $50 filing fee. The corporation must have at least 3 directors, and a street address as a registered office within the State of Indiana.

Here are the procedures: ttps://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/forming-nonprofit-corporation-indiana-36062.html#:~:text=You%20will%20need%20to%20create%20and%20file%20nonprofit,articles.%20Or%2C%20you%20can%20file%20your%20articles%20online.

The current administrators can become the Board of Directors in the nonprofit corporation. That would likely be the quickest route to achieving incorporation, obtaining an EIN to open a business bank account, and getting the future of the Education Forum settled.

If someone has a better idea, I'm open to hearing it. But it seems a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation would be the route to pursue. But we need to do it quickly, if we're going to do it.

9 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Attached is IRS Publication 557. This deals with the different types of 501 C's. I don't think our purpose would qualify under 501 (c)(3). We may fit under a 501 (c)(7), but I am not sure that would work either. 

p557 (1).pdf 1.91 MB · 0 downloads

The Education Forum is MUCH more than the JFK Assassination Discussion Forum. We still have ALL of the education-related forums we had under the previous administration. So while this particular forum may occupy the most bandwidth, we are still an EDUCATION forum, as our name states. And educational nonprofits do qualify as 501(c)(3) organizations.

James,

If not familiar, a 501 (c)(3) is a way of obtaining a tax exempt status for a qualifying organization. The U.S. tax code is ridiculously complex and the publication previously referenced and attached helps to navigate through the process of obtaining a tax exempt status for an organization.

You don't just start an organization as a 501 (c)(3). You must first incorporate as a non profit corporation. Then you apply for tax exempt status. 

To me, this is unnecessary. We are not out to make a profit and our yearly receipts would in theory match our yearly expenditures. So why do we need to have a tax exempt status? Further, why would we need to incorporate in any official manner? It just complicates things and adds unnecessary expenditures and liabilities.

If we boil it down, we are simply trying to raise a certain amount of funds and then transfer those funds to Invision to maintain our subscription. 

It would be easiest for you or anyone to link the bank account used to pay Invision to a new PayPal account that is used only for receiving donations and paying Invision. We would do a campaign once a year where we solicit donations to fund the next year. Once we reach the amount needed, you would pay Invision the yearly fee. I don't see why it needs to be any more complicated than that.

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed, typing on mobile.

Two Points:-

Point 1

Thanks Ty your response was helpful even though I am not sure I fully understood it.

Point 2
I have heard back from Invision about creating an account in Paypal and making payments from that account.

Paypal can be used for our Account Credit feature, yes. That option would be on the checkout page of the feature, starting here:

https://invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/credit/

Once the credit is applied, monthly payments would be drawn from that credit balance automatically.

The other option is to manually use Paypal each month to pay the invoice when the renewal is due.

James