The Education Forum

Is there a listing or some sort of way to identify what companies or persons had offices in the Dal-Tex building?

I think at some point this question has been asked either here or formerly at JFK Lancer, but I can't remember the answer.  Someone had posted that there was a city directory or something of that nature also available.  I don't remember if that was online or only at the Dallas library or other local resource, but I thought I would try to round up any available information and try to file it away for reference.  Thanks in advance for any leads or info.

1 hour ago, Richard Price said:

I think at some point this question has been asked either here or formerly at JFK Lancer, but I can't remember the answer.  Someone had posted that there was a city directory or something of that nature also available.  I don't remember if that was online or only at the Dallas library or other local resource, but I thought I would try to round up any available information and try to file it away for reference.  Thanks in advance for any leads or info.

There is a complete 1963 Dallas City Directory online at Ancestry.com. They do a free trial too - definitely worth it. 

1 hour ago, Richard Price said:

This was once an area of great interest to me.

There was a book that had an extended section on the companies in the Dal-Tex. It was grossly overpriced. And was not highly respected.

So I asked around on this forum for more info on the Dal-Tex occupants. It was provided, as I recall, by Larry Hancock. So you might want to search this forum

Edited by Pat Speer

1 hour ago, Tom Gram said:

at the Dallas library

Some years ago I contacted the main Dallas library, who had a nominally priced reference/research service, who Xeroxed a few pages regarding one Stuart R. Martin for me from the 1963 City Directory. It only cost a few $$.

Richard, I am an Ancestry member. If you want me to look up anything there, I'd gladly assist. Feel free to drop me a message here

Joel D Gruhn

Edited by Joel D. Gruhn

Some of us spent considerable time researching companies in the DalTex;  the best source was a Dallas cross connect directory from that period which lists telephone numbers by street address.   I wrote about a few of the more interesting companies at some length in the final (Marilyn Belt; Dallas Uranium and Oil), paper back addition of Someone Would Have Talked and you might find my blog posting on DUO of interest:

https://larryhancock.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/dallas-uranium-and-oil-update/

.........make sure you read all the reader responses to the blog posts for more details...

And as it turned out in the end,  the one share owned by Hoover was the result of a promotional effort where several prominent individuals were issued shares simply as a business promotion by the State of Colorado where DUO was registered -

"The reason for Hoover having a single share is that he was one of a number of well known state and national figures who received a single share as a promotional mailing - if you dig far enough on my blog you will find some great research by one of my readers discussing that mailing program, intended to promote new Colorado businesses...why was DUO filed as a business in Colorado, that frustrated us for quite a time until Alan Kent tracked them down.  My guess was that it was to keep it out of state to conceal some of the stock multiplication sales that were being carried out.  Its important to note that DUO itself didn't bring attention to itself in the promotional mailing, it was a Colorado promotion of business in the state.

Thanks to all for the posted answers.  I was pretty sure it had been researched by some members, particularly Larry Hancock.  Thanks to Joel Gruhn for the tip on Ancestry.com.  I just ended a 6 month discounted membership with them, tracing my family back about 4 generations and plan on going back at some point to dig a little deeper and to finalize some sketchy info.  I appreciate all of the researchers on the forum.  I am like some of you, just clinging to my lower middle class status so I usually do everything I can in the "free" domains when my interest gets piqued in a particular area and then commit what funds I have available afterwards in order to flesh it out if possible.  Thanks again.  This will keep me going for a while, until life gets in the way again (or I get sidetracked by another topic on the forum).

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:

The National Archives also has many city directories.

I learned from one on New Orleans that George H. W.

Bush's CIA front Zapata Corporation had an office

in New Orleans in 1963. 

NARA has a ‘63 New Orleans directory? I’ll have to look into that.

The NOLA Library and the Jazz Museum are both missing ‘63, and I think it’s the same deal with Tulane. I’ve been trying to track one down for months. 

Not to distract from the thread topic, Dal-Tex business tenants.  But as it does involve that building. . . 

Does anyone here remember a story about a speculated second floor shooter by the fire escape?  The open window by the fire escape in the Altgens photo (?).

I read this Somewhere years ago.  It was supposedly by the shooter, spotter or rear guard (not right military term).  That the shot was taken from a broom/mop closet.  They had no problem exiting immediately off the back dock to a waiting car.  I don't think this is from the Files fairy tale and Nicoletti.  Maybe, something about one or two of the shots, back, head, miss?

It intrigued me enough on one visit to Dealy Plaza I went and stood below this window, after the fire escape was removed, for perspective.  The view made me think about sitting a few feet up in a tree stand hunting deer.  Almost a level shot with the limo descending in elevation down Elm Street.  Then I went around back to the dock doors, with railroad tracks across the street, a good distance to another building. 

In 2013 a week before the 50th I went in the Dal-Tex building to the then new snack/souvenir shop on the elevated first floor across from the TSBD and looked out the window below.  It or a floor up would be an almost ideal shot.

Does anyone remember anything about this?  I've thought of one possible source I need to check as I write this.      

Edited by Ron Bulman

15 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Does anyone here remember a story about a speculated second floor shooter by the fire escape?  The open window by the fire escape in the Altgens photo (?).

Ron, it rings bells.  Groden shows the Altgens photograph on p31 of his 'The Killing of a President' also on pages 184-185, and highlights the window which he states is a 2nd floor broom closet with what he claims is a dark complected man leaning out of the window!  (Why can't I make out these figures, or see the Loch Ness beastie or flying saucers?)  

16 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Not to distract from the thread topic, Dal-Tex business tenants.  But as it does involve that building. . . 

Does anyone here remember a story about a speculated second floor shooter by the fire escape?

Yes, I remember a topic which this was discussed pretty thoroughly.  If I remember correctly the picture(s) were scrutinized as well as the angles and heights and I believe there was even a picture by the FBI/DPD or other agency taken simulating the view through a scope similar to what was done from the TSBD "sniper's lair".  This was the first time I paid attention to the Dal-Tex other than reading about the various people arrested coming out of the building, which I thought was strange given that ALL attention seems to have been on the TSBD.  This led me to start studying Howard Brennan and trying to follow his story from the very moments of the assassination on through.  I know I am beating a dead horse here, but I believe Brennan, though even he did his best after the 1st day deposition to try to stick to the "official cover story".  I am not trying to foist my gut feeling and reading of his personality and traits on anyone.  I know I will not have people jumping on the bandwagon and that is fine.  What I want to do is inform others with better skills than I, that Brennan's deposition on day one, within minutes to hours of the assassination showed that the shooting was professionally planned and executed.  The shooter he saw and the building he saw him in are in the "dead" zone where no one has looked and meets the criteria of exactly what a professional sniper would use.  It has a perfect view of the kill zone and any accomplices, it was in a virtually "invisible" location (why would anyone be looking well above and behind the Presidents limo).  It would have created echoes which would have been difficult to locate and would have presented an easy get away.  If you read his deposition while keeping in mind his profession, mechanical engineering (and I think he was very good at it), you will see how accurate he was with distances, directions and descriptions.  Not embellishing, but very detailed while succinct.  I will not go further with my analysis unless someone on the forum expresses interest.