The Education Forum

Vincent Salandria on the Paines

Bill Fite

1 hour ago, Bill Fite said:

Interview posted by Vince Palamara on YouTube -- thanks Vince.

The first part about his visit to the Paines was incredibly interesting.  I had never heard this.

Thanks - the words of a truth teller. I love his plea to the Paines, presumably in 2012, to set the record straight, and the compassion he showed to them for their roles, explaining that in his view the Paine’s were used by Dulles and company to fulfill their necessary roles unwittingly.

VInce Salandria, as a private citizen, went to Dallas in, I think both 1964 and 1965.

And, that early, he suspected the Paines.

Which, I don't think any of the first generation critics, except maybe Meagher, did.

Vince is right when he talks about the phony debate that was set up to disguise what had really happened:  a coup.

Here is an inside story of how that happened.

https://consortiumnews.com/2016/04/22/how-cbs-news-aided-the-jfk-cover-up/

Edited by James DiEugenio

As historically important as VInce was--and I think he was crucial to the birth of the WC critics--I think this was the only eulogy about his death.

Which is both surprising and more than a little sad.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/vincent-salandria-in-memorial

I would have loved to have been there when he confronted Specter in public.

50 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

As historically important as VInce was--and I think he was crucial to the birth of the WC critics--I think this was the only eulogy about his death.

Which is both surprising and more than a little sad.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/vincent-salandria-in-memorial

I would have loved to have been there when he confronted Specter in public.

So many early JFKA researchers toiled in near anonymity, meager financial rewards (if any) and even dismissal and ridicule by the co-opted M$M. 

I will say it again: The JFKA research community, with essentially no resources except brains and will, brought us closer to the truth about the JKFA than all 17 US intel agencies and the money-soaked M$M put together. 

Keep this in mind when perusing current events.  

Hats off to DiEugenio and his work with Oliver Stone, and also all those early JFKA'ers. 

Thanks Benjamin.

I am pretty sure I will be on a national show on the 59th anniversary.   Will let everyone know.

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks Benjamin.

I am pretty sure I will be on a national show on the 59th anniversary.   Will let everyone know.

Will be listening.

Wow. 59 years ago!

On that morning I was in gym trunks playing outside basketball in Junior High School 7th grade in Pacific Grove, CA. A small coastal town situated between Monterey and Pebble Beach.  It was a sunny but cool morning.

I still remember the name of the student who came running out from our main school building across the street to the football field and basketball courts and our P.E. teachers yelling "the presidents been shot...the presidents been shot!"

"We all have to go back in."  John Norman. My age of 12.

John was killed in a car crash just 20 miles up the Coast Highway 1 - 30 years later. John also served in the army infantry in Viet Nam and was wounded in action.

Pretty ironic eh.  If Kennedy had not been shot, he would not have been wounded in action.

That's one of the reasons I think the ending of American Graffiti s so simple and effective.

Let me add, about Vince.

HIs career in the JFK field had a kind of ironic curve to it.

VInce really began as a microanalysis guy.  His two part series for Liberation was, in my view, a milestone in the literature.  In short order, it kind of wrecked any basis for the WC synopsis of the shot sequencing and trajectories for the shooting.

He continued in this vein for awhile.  In fact, he was the primary consultant on the Dealey Plaza side of the Clay Shaw trial. Which was pretty potent, especially when Finck showed up to try and counter the quite effective testimony of Dr. John Nichols.

After this though, Vince turned away from this kind of thing.  He came to the conclusion that the Commission could not have been so stupid as to think that what they had done would not fall apart on inspection.  In fact, he once wrote an article which I think had pretty much that title to it.

So he then became almost exclusively a Big Picture kind of a figure in the field. And he used to take shots at people like Weisberg who, according to Vince, was forever stuck in the dynamics of Dealey Plaza. Which Vince thought had been proven to be  a farce years ago.  So what VInce had done was to move from the micro view to the macro view. This is why he told Fonzi, before he left to work on the Church Committee, that it would be like running in place, pointless in the end.  

Vince was both right and wrong about that.  The Church Committee did accomplish some things that were good.  But from what Jim Gocheanuer revealed about it on BOR, it seems to have been ultimately controlled by the Pentagon.  Plus what they did--we don't know precisely who-- to Wendell Roache was pretty stifling.  

But the epic fail of the HSCA was probably even worse.  As we can see from their declassified files, what they hid was a lot more telling and important than what they revealed. In that sense, VInce, the sage, was correct.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Pretty ironic eh.  If Kennedy had not been shot, he would not have been wounded in action.

True.

We lost a few students in the Viet Nam war.

Our junior high school math teacher and eventually principal lost his fighter pilot son when he was one of the very few first pilots to be shot down over North Viet Nam.

Another boy a year ahead of me in high school was so gung ho about joining the Marines in 1969. He actually came back to our school right after graduating boot camp to try to rally more students to sign up.

Soon thereafter he was deployed to "Nam."

He was killed in action just months later.

My four older brothers were all in the navy during Viet Nam. All Pac duty.

Another was in the air force in Japan and later Thailand during the war.

My father was a career guy in the military, 20 years in the Air Force. He was sent to Vietnam when my sister was a baby and I was on the way. I was born while he was over there and was named after him because my mom didn't know if he was coming back. He made it back luckily. 

Interestingly, my dad met Gen. Curtis LeMay in the 60's.

Roger:

Was this when Bombs Away was on the Wallace ticket?

He was too much even for George.

Historically speaking, and socio-politically, most people do not understand how important that campaign was.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Roger:

Was this when Bombs Away was on the Wallace ticket?

He was too much even for George.

Historically speaking, and socio-politically, most people do not understand how important that campaign was.

Jim:

I don't think so because dad was in Libya in 68. I think he met LeMay in the early 1960's.

While he was in Libya he also saw Gadaffi many times going to and from the palace. 

Edited by Roger DeLaria

He met him in the early sixties?

You mean while he was under JFK?