The Education Forum

J. D. Tippit: Was he part of the conspiracy?

John Simkin

Officer Parker (call sign #56) had radio'd going to e. jefferson for a code 5 at about 12:45 p.m. This has always seemed suspicious to me in the sense that he was the closest officer to Tippit's position, yet, he did not respond to the officer down call.

Dispatch asked "where is 56?" at 12:30 p.m., the appr. time of JFK's murder, and got no response.

Going through the transcripts of the day, nearly every time #56 was speaking with dispatch, there was some form of interference covering up their conversations.

W. P. Parker is, in my opinion, deserving of more attention.

Chuck

What is a code (or "signal") five? "Code" usually refererred to how officers travelled in their vehicles, Code One being "directly with haste," Code Two being "with lights," and Code Three being "lights and siren" (or very similar descriptions; it is among DPD testimony, I want to say Lt Pierce -?). I can't imagine anything faster than that, and don't know anything about a "Code Five."

Parker (or #56) may not have been the "closest officer to Tippit's position." It is quite possible that that distinction belongs to the man who was regularly assigned to the patrol district in which Tippit got killed, who was eating lunch less than a mile away at Luby's Cafeteria. It is also worthy of note that not everyone who responded to the Tippit "Signal 19" (shooting) reported having done so, so whether or not Parker(?) or #56 was part of that whole deal is an open question for the moment.

If, however, #56 reported being in or near central Oak Cliff at 12:45, it raises the question why Tippit and Nelson were told to report there just three minutes later, doesn't it? Especially since the regular officer was already there ....

code 5/signal 5 is en route to location/out to lunch or a break.

Parker, as far as I have been able to determine, made no further radio contact on the transcript I referenced, which ended shortly after 2:00 p.m.

Yeah, I would really like to know why Parker would decide to go to the area where Tippit was murdered at the exact moment that channel 2 was asking for all available cars to go downtown.

In checking the transcript, #56 says "Clear for 5" which doesn't really say it's a code or a signal 5. I wonder if he is saying he is clear for #5 (Lumpkin)?

Then dispatch asks his location to which he responds "e. jefferson".

Immediately following this is the report of the shooter's description.

Chuck

Chuck,

In common radio parlance, "Clear for 5" would refer to minutes, that is, he will be "clear" of his radio for five minutes. "Out for 5" could mean the same thing. As often as not, someone radioing "clear" would also radio that they were back on the air, but that's not always the case. Do you have a reference for this transmission? I'm scanning through CE1974 (radio transcripts) and not finding it.

East Jefferson Boulevard is a stretch of road about 1½ miles long, running from Beckley east and north to the viaduct over the Trinity River. Click here to see a map of where 56 could have been relative to where things were happening.

I don't find it as interesting that Parker or any cop was in the area where another cop would soon be murdered as much as I do that there were already two cops in central Oak Cliff when dispatch found it necessary to send Tippit (and Nelson, who ignored the order) in to patrol "at large for any emergency that might come in."

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke wrote: Nov 24 2005, 03:06 AM

I will attempt, over the next few weeks, to find my Tippit autopsy information, and will post as much of it as I'm able. It does support the coup de grace description insofar as the head shot goes, though I cannot recall if it mentioned powder burns or anything of that sort (which wouldn't be absolutely necessary, I wouldn't think, if the shot were fired even from hip height).

Thomas Graves @ Nov 19 2005, 12:05 AM)

... Given what we know about Tippit before 11/22/63, the context of the situation right before Tippit is killed (the president has just been assassinated, Tippit is looking frantically for someone, etc), would you agree with me that the fact that Tippit's gun was found OUT OF its holster, tends to suggest that whoever killed Tippit did so in self defense?

Actually, I just remembered something which totally destroys this theory, and just to show just how "openminded" I am, I will play the role of Devil's Advocate here: Didn't one of the witnesses testify that he/she had seen (the/one of the) killer(s) start walking away from the scene and then actually walk back to Tippit's body and administer a "coup de grace" pistol shot to Tippit's head? If so, this would argue against the killer(s) having shot Tippit out of self defense in the first place..... ???!

If you look at the scene and especially the way Tippit was killed it does not match any scenario of a person acting in self defence by shooting his way out. I’ve been reading a lot about modern profiling and it would be interesting if a professional profiler would analyse the killing of Tippit. I doubt very much that he would come to the same conclusion that the killing was the act of someone who was trying to avoid arrest. A shoot at almost point blank to Tippit’s temple would hardly fit a fugitive scenario.

George

Duke and Thomas

I know I do repeat myself but this is exactly what I was thinking when I said that the scenario would not match the story of Lee shooting his way out. Of course I’m absolutely not in the position to make any comment whatsoever concerning a crime scene analysis but the fact that this sort of science practically didn’t exist in 1963 and since then made so much progress I’d not be surprised if it could produce some new points of view concerning the Tippit killing.

George

Officer Parker (call sign #56) had radio'd going to e. jefferson for a code 5 at about 12:45 p.m. This has always seemed suspicious to me in the sense that he was the closest officer to Tippit's position, yet, he did not respond to the officer down call.

Dispatch asked "where is 56?" at 12:30 p.m., the appr. time of JFK's murder, and got no response.

Going through the transcripts of the day, nearly every time #56 was speaking with dispatch, there was some form of interference covering up their conversations.

W. P. Parker is, in my opinion, deserving of more attention.

Chuck

What is a code (or "signal") five? "Code" usually refererred to how officers travelled in their vehicles, Code One being "directly with haste," Code Two being "with lights," and Code Three being "lights and siren" (or very similar descriptions; it is among DPD testimony, I want to say Lt Pierce -?). I can't imagine anything faster than that, and don't know anything about a "Code Five."

Parker (or #56) may not have been the "closest officer to Tippit's position." It is quite possible that that distinction belongs to the man who was regularly assigned to the patrol district in which Tippit got killed, who was eating lunch less than a mile away at Luby's Cafeteria. It is also worthy of note that not everyone who responded to the Tippit "Signal 19" (shooting) reported having done so, so whether or not Parker(?) or #56 was part of that whole deal is an open question for the moment.

If, however, #56 reported being in or near central Oak Cliff at 12:45, it raises the question why Tippit and Nelson were told to report there just three minutes later, doesn't it? Especially since the regular officer was already there ....

code 5/signal 5 is en route to location/out to lunch or a break.

Parker, as far as I have been able to determine, made no further radio contact on the transcript I referenced, which ended shortly after 2:00 p.m.

Yeah, I would really like to know why Parker would decide to go to the area where Tippit was murdered at the exact moment that channel 2 was asking for all available cars to go downtown.

In checking the transcript, #56 says "Clear for 5" which doesn't really say it's a code or a signal 5. I wonder if he is saying he is clear for #5 (Lumpkin)?

Then dispatch asks his location to which he responds "e. jefferson".

Immediately following this is the report of the shooter's description.

Chuck

Chuck,

In common radio parlance, "Clear for 5" would refer to minutes, that is, he will be "clear" of his radio for five minutes. "Out for 5" could mean the same thing. As often as not, someone radioing "clear" would also radio that they were back on the air, but that's not always the case. Do you have a reference for this transmission? I'm scanning through CE1974 (radio transcripts) and not finding it.

East Jefferson Boulevard is a stretch of road about 1½ miles long, running from Beckley east and north to the viaduct over the Trinity River. Click here to see a map of where 56 could have been relative to where things were happening.

I don't find it as interesting that Parker or any cop was in the area where another cop would soon be murdered as much as I do that there were already two cops in central Oak Cliff when dispatch found it necessary to send Tippit (and Nelson, who ignored the order) in to patrol "at large for any emergency that might come in."

Duke,

Here is one transcript link.

www.bvalphaserver.com/warren/DPDCH1.txt

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Robbins

the position of Tippit's gun is actually most consistent with someone who was shot by an aggressor, and barely had a chance to respond - if Oswald was seen smiling and talking to Tippit, this also indicates little. Whenever I get stopped by a cop I try to act courteous and in a friendly manner, hoping to deflect any negative action (like a ticket) -

• 3 weeks later...
From Car 10 where are you?

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/car10.htm

This information is provided by Greg Lowrey by way of Bill Pulte. James A. Andrews worked for American National Life Insurance whose offices were located across the street from Austin’s Barbecue. Greg Lowrey was interviewing Andrews to get recollections of Roscoe White who worked out of the same office as Andrews. During the interview Andrews told Greg “Since you are interested in the assassination, let me tell you something that happened” and told the following story. James A. Andrew’s was returning to work at his office in Oak Cliff a little after 1:00 P.M. on 11/22/63. He was driving west on West 10th Street (about eight or nine blocks from where Tippit was shot minutes later, see map). Suddenly a police car also traveling west on West 10th Street came up from behind Andrews’ car, passed him and cut in front of Andrews’s car forcing him to stop. The police car pulled in front of Andrews’ car at an angle heading into the curb in order to stop him. The officer then jumped out of the patrol car motioned to Andrews to remain stopped, ran back to Andrews’ car, and looked in the space between the front seat and the back seat. Without saying a word the policeman went back to the patrol car and then drove off quickly. Andrews was perplexed by this strange behavior and looked at the officer’s nameplate, which read “Tippit” (Tippit was wearing his nameplate on 11/22/63. This is documented in a list of personal effects removed from his body at the time of death. Source: Dallas Municipal Archives) Andrews remarked that Tippit seemed to be very upset and agitated and was acting wild.

We know by the statements Louis Cortinas at the Top Ten Record Shop that Tippit was last seen running a stop sign and traveling east on Sunset Ave. The location of Andrews’ encounter with Tippit is approximately 2 blocks northwest of the record shop. Did this event happen before or after Tippit was seen at the record shop? Given Andrews’ statement that this happened a little after 1:00 P.M. let us use the 1:03 P.M. missed call as a benchmark. Since the only documented time that Tippit was away from his car radio was when he went into the record shop, the probability is high that James A. Andrews’ encounter with J.D. Tippit happened just moments after Tippit was seen at the record shop. Tippit could have gone east on Sunset then gone north on Madison or Zangs then taken a left onto West 10th Street and this would have put Tippit traveling in the proper direction to have ‘cut off’ Andrews’ car that was also traveling west on West 10th Street.

Why did Tippit choose Andrews’ car to stop? Why didn’t he pull over Andrews’ car using conventional police procedure by using red lights and siren and stopping to the rear of Andrews’ car? Why did Tippit ‘cut off’ Andrews car the way he did? Why didn’t Tippit speak to Andrews or give him any explanation for what was going on? Why was Tippit so upset and acting the way he did? If these questions could be answered it would be very helpful in determining what was going on in the last minutes of Tippit’s life. Exactly where Tippit went and for how long after his sighting at the record shop and after his encounter with James A. Andrews are still unknown.

I couldn't find Drenas, Pulte, Lowrey or Andrews. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. If anyone knows how to find Pulte or Andrews, could you ask the following question?

Q: What make, model, color and year was the car being driven by Andrews? That answer may fill in some of the blanks.

Found Professor Bull Pulte [forgot to post this]:

According to these notes, he states that he could not remember what car he was driving, but that it would definitely have been a company car. It would have been a sedan and would have been either white or black.

Also, I realized that I made a mistake previously. Andrews was not working for American National, rather he was working for Reliance Life in downtown Dallas and had driven across the Houston St. bridge south into Oak Cliff in order to go home for lunch.

Closer, but still pretty far away...

Robert Howard - you'll find some Vaganov stuff in this thread.

- lee

I suspect Ruby was involved in the conspiracy before the assassination.  I suggest he may have used his contacts on the police force to obtain police uniforms for the conspirators.

Tim,

Good suggestion, that could very well be.

None of the men whom witnesses saw at the TSBD windows, or who were seen running from it, wore police uniforms. But there was the unidentified uniformed officer whom Mabra encountered in the railroad yard, and there is of course Badge Man.

But your suggestion brings me back to the two officers on the triple overpass. They were both assigned to the north end, which Al has pointed out was not good procedure, both ends should have been covered. Was there a reason they were assigned to the north end only?

If the officer on the northwest side of the overpass noticed one or two men in police uniforms appear at the southeast side, he probably would have thought nothing of it, just two more officers to cover the south end. He may have been waved hello to them. I hadn't thought of it before but it makes perfect sense that a shooter (and possibly a spotter with him) on the south end of the overpass would wear a police uniform to escape any scrutiny. (He could have even been a real cop, such as Tippit, though I doubt it. How good a shot was Tippit or any other Dallas policeman compared to, say, a military sniper?)

After the shooting and by the time to testify about it, the north-end officers may have concocted their obstructing freight train story out of fear of what at least one of them had seen, especially if they thought there were conspirators on the police force.

Ron

Ron, you say "But your suggestion brings me back to the two officers on the triple overpass." Officer J.C. White was assigned to the west end of the overpass, and James Foster was on the east end. I'm not sure what you mean by two officers being on the north end? Just curious where these guys would have been stationed in relation to the overpass.

Regards,

Roy Bierma

Ron, you say "But your suggestion brings me back to the two officers on the triple overpass." Officer J.C. White was assigned to the west end of the overpass, and James Foster was on the east end. I'm not sure what you mean by two officers being on the north end? Just curious where these guys would have been stationed in relation to the overpass.

Regards,

Roy Bierma

Roy,

The Triple Overpass spans Commerce, Main and Elm Streets, which run east-west, thus the railroad tracks atop the bridge run north-south. It is more accurate to say that White was assigned to the west side of the overpass and Foster on the east side, thus they would be at the north end at the east and west sides, i.e., over Elm Street, the northernmost of the three streets that converge at this point.

Hope that helps some.

I suspect Ruby was involved in the conspiracy before the assassination.  I suggest he may have used his contacts on the police force to obtain police uniforms for the conspirators.
Tim,

Good suggestion, that could very well be.

None of the men whom witnesses saw at the TSBD windows, or who were seen running from it, wore police uniforms. But there was the unidentified uniformed officer whom Mabra encountered in the railroad yard, and there is of course Badge Man. ....

Ron,

That is not strictly true. White shirt and brown coats were the "uniform" of senior DCSD personnel and their version of "plain clothes" (versus shirts with badges and stripes and all that).

Luke Mooney was the first officer on the sixth floor other than Marrion Baker, and when he arrived there, he traversed the floor several ways and encountered nobody, then went up to the seventh floor. On his way up in the elevator, it stopped to pick up two women, but the electricity apparently went off (or they didn't close the door correctly?), so they all went upstairs on foot. One of the women was Victoria Adams, who testified (6H391) to the same thing. On his way upstairs, Mooney encountered an unnamed "deputy sheriff like myself" coming down the stairs from above.

The FBI (whose Hoover was big on "civil rights" of subjects of investigations ... as in "violating my civil rights" as opposed to the "civil rights movement") concluded at the time that organizations such as the KKK, JBS, NSRP and other "right wing" and "extremist" groups were "aided and abetted by police at the local level," and DPD officers have said privately that "half the force was Klan" at the time ... so why might anyone need to "obtain" police uniforms?

Edited by Duke Lane

The FBI (whose Hoover was big on "civil rights" of subjects of investigations ... as in "violating my civil rights" as opposed to the "civil rights movement") concluded at the time that organizations such as the KKK, JBS, NSRP and other "right wing" and "extremist" groups were "aided and abetted by police at the local level," and DPD officers have said privately that "half the force was Klan" at the time ... so why might anyone need to "obtain" police uniforms?

Because the Corsicans visiting from out of town wouldn't have had time to go through the membership process in time for the shoot? :huh:

post-675-1139452930_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
Let’s just pretend the following:

Officer Tippit was part of the assasination and his job was to get LHO out of town to the Red Bird Airport. For the cover of LHO he took a second uniform so it would look like two cops which was the normal case.

The plan was changed an LHO was given the signal by the police car that honked twice in front of his room. This change of course could have been the plan right from the beginning but was not told to everybody. The signal made LHO nervous so he took his weapon with him when going to the meeting point of plan B the Texas theater.

Tippit was waiting for Oswald but he did’nt show up, so Tippit rushed to the Top Ten Record Shop to make a phone call but could not reach anybody, so he went back to the streets desperatly looking for Oswald.

„Professor Bill Pulte has a possible explanation for Tippit’s erratic movements in the final minutes of his life. Hel explained that Tippit’s movements are consistent with the actions of a man frantically looking for someone.“

Tippit spotted a police car between 404 and 410 East Tenth Street. He pulls back and parks the car. After a short argument he got shoot and Oswalds ID is placed

at the murder scene. Now the have a reason to charge LHO with murder of a police

officer and he will be arrested. There might be a little chance that Oswald get shoot

during the attempt of arresting but there are further plans that bring up Ruby.

Oswald meanwhile a little late due to the traffic problems on his way home, rushes

to the Texas theater and forgets to buy a ticket. Because of the shooting in the

neighbourhood a man running is always suspicious so he’s reportet to the police.

So Tippit’s part was never more than beeing the victim of Oswald kind of the patsy of the patsy.

I realize i'm responding to an old post; however i've been researching the JFK murder for about 30 years now, and this hypothesis of Tippit fits so neatly. Tying up the loose yet puzzling threads of the 2nd uniform in the patrol car, the police car that honks an obvious signal in front of Oswald's house, the signal itself making sense (to guide Lee toward "plan B"), finaly a logical reason Lee would pick up a gun (if you thought you'd just been made a patsy in the murder of the president, would you want to be found carrying a gun, in Texas?).

My own approach has been: be open to new ideas (except things like: a secret service agent accidently killed JFK with a machine gun; or, the world is flat -that's just asking too much), be wary of those with an axe to grind, always check resources. After 20-odd years i've added another one (in fact there's a new book in the library that fits this) phrases in the dust jacket such as "...has read new documents that have never been seen before by the human eye" and "has finaly solved the puzzle/mystery". I'm sorry, am i the only one who's tired of hearing that phrase?

It seemed obvious to me that Tippit's death was meant to inflame and manipulate the DPD into shooting down a "cop-killer". It doesn't fit any other purpose. Regardless of whatever Tippit was involved in. Revolver casings at the scene? You just shot someone and you're going to drop the brass there, which will have your prints and which can be tied to the murder weapon. How can you chew gum and walk at the same time? Who is that stupid?

They can't let Lee go to trial, that would be shining a bright spotlight on the crime. According to all accounts of Ruby's actions, again i find it fairly apparant that him shooting Oswald was improvisation, but Ruby really wasn't given a choice.

Regards,

R.D.

Officer Tippit was part of the assasination and his job was to get LHO out of town to the Red Bird Airport. For the cover of LHO he took a second uniform so it would look like two cops which was the normal case.

The plan was changed an LHO was given the signal by the police car that honked twice in front of his room. This change of course could have been the plan right from the beginning but was not told to everybody. The signal made LHO nervous so he took his weapon with him when going to the meeting point of plan B the Texas theater.

Tippit was waiting for Oswald but he did’nt show up, so Tippit rushed to the Top Ten Record Shop to make a phone call but could not reach anybody, so he went back to the streets desperatly looking for Oswald.

„Professor Bill Pulte has a possible explanation for Tippit’s erratic movements in the final minutes of his life. Hel explained that Tippit’s movements are consistent with the actions of a man frantically looking for someone.“

Tippit spotted a police car between 404 and 410 East Tenth Street. He pulls back and parks the car. After a short argument he got shoot and Oswalds ID is placed

at the murder scene. Now the have a reason to charge LHO with murder of a police

officer and he will be arrested. There might be a little chance that Oswald get shoot

Oswald meanwhile a little late due to the traffic problems on his way home, rushes

to the Texas theater and forgets to buy a ticket. Because of the shooting in the

neighbourhood a man running is always suspicious so he’s reportet to the police.

So Tippit’s part was never more than beeing the victim of Oswald kind of the patsy of the patsy.

I realize i'm responding to an old post; however i've been researching the JFK murder for about 30 years now, and this hypothesis of Tippit fits so neatly. Tying up the loose yet puzzling threads of the 2nd uniform in the patrol car, the police car that honks an obvious signal in front of Oswald's house, the signal itself making sense (to guide Lee toward "plan B"), finaly a logical reason Lee would pick up a gun (if you thought you'd just been made a patsy in the murder of the president, would you want to be found carrying a gun, in Texas?).

My own approach has been: be open to new ideas (except things like: a secret service agent accidently killed JFK with a machine gun; or, the world is flat -that's just asking too much), be wary of those with an axe to grind, always check resources. After 20-odd years i've added another one (in fact there's a new book in the library that fits this) phrases in the dust jacket such as "...has read new documents that have never been seen before by the human eye" and "has finaly solved the puzzle/mystery". I'm sorry, am i the only one who's tired of hearing that phrase?

It seemed obvious to me that Tippit's death was meant to inflame and manipulate the DPD into shooting down a "cop-killer". It doesn't fit any other purpose. Regardless of whatever Tippit was involved in. Revolver casings at the scene? You just shot someone and you're going to drop the brass there, which will have your prints and which can be tied to the murder weapon. How can you chew gum and walk at the same time? Who is that stupid?

They can't let Lee go to trial, that would be shining a bright spotlight on the crime. According to all accounts of Ruby's actions, again i find it fairly apparant that him shooting Oswald was improvisation, but Ruby really wasn't given a choice.

Regards,

R.D.

Some time ago, there was reference made to the fact that Tippit may have had a part-time job at the Texas Theater in the evenings. Does anyone know if this suggestion had any validity? Thanks.

It somewhat "slipped" out during the testimony of one of the workers at the theater.

And although you are most probably referencing the posting in which this information was provided, the old memory problems will not allow "instant recall" as to which person/whom it was that testified to this.

Some time ago, there was reference made to the fact that Tippit may have had a part-time job at the Texas Theater in the evenings. Does anyone know if this suggestion had any validity? Thanks.

It somewhat "slipped" out during the testimony of one of the workers at the theater.

And although you are most probably referencing the posting in which this information was provided, the old memory problems will not allow "instant recall" as to which person/whom it was that testified to this.

The luxery of the internet!

Check out the WC testimony of Julia Postal.

Mrs. POSTAL

Well, Officer Tippit's," shocked me, because Officer Tippit used to work part time for us years ago. I didn't know him personally.

Mr. BALL. You mean he guarded the theatre?

Mrs. POSTAL. On Friday nights and Saturdays, canvass the theatre, you know, and that-

Well Nic,

What you said, sorta reminded me of something else....Here is another new interesting story in regard to Tippit. I'm sure some have heard about it, but it might be new to some. I first read about it in Walt Brown's, JFK/DPQ Publication and is also included in Livingstones new book.

For Reaseach Purposes Only!

A woman by the name of Mrs. Doris Holan, lived at 409 E Tenth Street, She lived upstairs directly across the street and her windows looked directly on Tippit's Patrol car and the murder scene.

Mrs Holan has been an unreported witness all these years. Yet she was dying of terminal cancer and talked to Dallas Researcher Michael Brownlow prior to her death in 2000. She met with Brownlow twice and once accompanied with reseracher Prof. BIll Pulte.

Mrs Holan had just returned home from her job that morning, a few minutes after 1:00, then she heard gun shots. She hurried to her window and saw Tippit's patrol car, across the street and parked in front of the driveway between 404 and 410 E. Tenth Sreet. Tippit was lying on the street, near the left front of the car. She saw a man leaving the scene, moving westward towards Patton.

Mrs Holan also noticed something else that had not previously, ever been reported. A second police car in the driveway, which went all the way back to the alley, moving forward slowly towards Tippit's car on Tenth. Near the police car she also saw a man in the driveway walking toward the street where Tippit was parked.

She went downstairs at once and over to Tippit. The man in the driveway continued to the street, walked in front of Tippit's patrol car, paused and looked down at Tippit's head, and retraced his path up the driveway. At the same time, the police car changed direction and backed up in the driveway to the alley running parallel to Tenth, behind the houses on 404 and 410.

In 1963, the driveway could be entered from the alley from the rear, as well as from Tenth. Because Tippit's car was parked in front of the Tenth Street entrance, the alley provided the only passage from the driveway for the driver of the police car.

Mrs. Holan's account of a second police car is supported by the comments of Sam Guinyard, who told Brownlow in 1970 that he saw a police car in the alley shortly after the police shooting. The man in the driveway was apparently also seen by others: a resident of the neighborhood, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Prof Pulte, in 1990, that he had heard about a man in the driveway who approached Tippit's car.

Another thought...Earlene Roberts saw a police car stop and honk in front of the boarding house on 1026 N Beckley, where LHO lived.... at around 1:03. Tippit was shot at around 1:10 to 1:15 at the latest. This could possibly have been the police car she saw.

Dixie

P.S. Nic, don't feel too bad about your Mom not allowing Right Wing Books in the house. When my daughter was a pre-teen, I told her that I didn't want any of those $#%@*& "Beatles" records in the house. Then sometime later, I changed and was even trying to play their music on my guitar....:-)

This one, whit a second police car at the tippit murder scen is new for me, anywhere i can read about it?

I think a police officer had to die, to staple in everyone's mind that this guy had this problem with authority, and why else would Tippit have to die unless Oswald was supposedly scared of being arrested? If you didn't want to draw suspicion on yourself, why shoot a police officer in broad daylight?

If Oswald did it alone, he managed to murder the President of the United States in a packed Plaza in broad daylight, with only a VAGUE description of him getting out, and people doubting his guilt forty years later. WHY, would someone THAT intelligent, shoot a police officer in broad daylight with tons of witnesses nearby, and no one that could be mistaken as another suspect.

Hi Nic,

You make some excellent points. I think, however, that whoever shot Tippit just might have done so out of self defense. I say this because a witnesses (the car salesman?) said that when they turned Tippit's body over, they found Tippit's gun out of its holster and under Tippit's body (which leads me to believe that Tippit was going to shoot the man/men who ended up "getting the jump" on Officer Tippit, instead).

FWIW, Thomas

Tippit could have drawn his gun, but the other man was faster.

P.S. Nic, don't feel too bad about your Mom not allowing Right Wing Books in the house. When my daughter was a pre-teen, I told her that I didn't want any of those $#%@*& "Beatles" records in the house. Then sometime later, I changed and was even trying to play their music on my guitar....:-)

Very interesting about the second police car, I'd heard of that before but never in detail.

My mom is one of those overly-religious Republicans that believes gays burn in hell and that George W Bush is the best President we've ever had. She didn't speak to my stepfather for a week after he voted for Perot instead of Bob Dole and we got Clinton for another four years. Considering her daughter is a pansexual Libertarian, you'd think she'd get over it, but nah.

Oh well, at least The Beatles still rock. I'm partial to George Harrison myself. ;D

Try Kitty Kelly's book on the Bushes, real interesting read. Do hide it from your mother.

George

This is a good scenario and explains alot.

The various witnesses place people other than Oswald and a police car, and a man

confirming the murder at the site of tippits death.

Tippetts murder was part of the frame.

It made Oswald "guilty" of the murder, if the evidence wasn't strong for Kennedy, the cumulative

evidence of both were more convincing.

WHy was Tippett killed?

He may have tried to prevent the murder of JFK, the escape of Lee Oswald, or both.

We really don't know where he was at 12.30 do we?

He was looking for someone (Oswald? Roscoe White?) and the spare uniform points to the whole

"two cops drive out to Redbird airfield and David Ferrie flies one of them to Mexico" scenario.

This is a great thread, thanks for reviving it.................

I don´t think he was looking for Rosco White, why did he then have a spare uniform in his car?

Was White of duty that day?