The Education Forum

Graduate Trainee Programme

Nick Falk

• 2 weeks later...

Nick,

I suppose your DRB has just left you to it with virtually no guidance. No surprise there then. Most are in it just for the money!

I'm a director with Hull Citywide DRB (URL below). You can look at our website which has lots of materials for mentors and trainees. The stuff on there is just as good for you and your trainee, since everyone is assessed in the same way in the end.

Do let me know if there is anything you need particular help with. I might be able to help.

Training grants (£6000 per trainee) and Salary grants (£13000 per trainee) are given by the TTA. The school gets the salary grant, if one is available and training grants go to the DRB. We use training grants to pay for inset for the trainee, pay mentors and their school for supply cover and pay for supply cover for DRB staff. Some DRBs pay very little for supply out of training grants or nothing at all. Some don't budget at all for mentor payments.

• 2 weeks later...

That is interesting about the finances available.

I have been given the job of mentoring a graduate trainee. I have the paperwork but have been told that mentor training is not included.

That someone is being given money has never been mentioned.

Is someone being taken for a ride??

:D

The £6000 training grant will be going to the DRB. How they use that money is up to them and the TTA have little say in how they spend it. To be honest, most DRBs don't provide mentor training (we do! :blink: but certainly some money from that 6K should be coming to the school to pay for time required to actually DO the mentoring. I would find out who in your school is the fundholder for money coming from the DRB and see how much money is coming in for mentoring and how to get your hands on some.