The Education Forum

The Attempted Assassination of Charles deGaulle

Depicted in this scene from the movie, "The Day Of The Jackal" ( 1973 ).

In August 1962, members of the right-wing OAS attempted to assassinate French President Charles deGaulle with machine guns during an ambush of his motorcade. The attack lasted seven seconds and was unsuccessful. Later, authorities found 147 shell casings at the scene of the ambush, only seven shots hit the car and none of the four occupants were hit.

147 shots were fired at deGaulle and not one shot hit any of the occupants of the car. In comparison, the Warren Commission concluded that a single shooter killed President Kennedy with only three shots from a bolt-action rifle.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously think it does belong here. It’s a scene from a movie depicting real events that preceded JFK. 

7 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I seriously think it does belong here. It’s a scene from a movie depicting real events that preceded JFK. 

OMG, are they crying again about my posts ?

Ex-military officers fired 147 shots at deGaulle with automatic weapons and not one shot hit any of the occupants of the car.

In comparison, the Warren Commission concluded that a single shooter killed President Kennedy with only three shots from a bolt-action rifle.

If they can't see how this shows how ridiculous the Warren Commission's findings are, I don't know what to say.

It's relevant.

Edited by Gil Jesus

9 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

OMG, are they crying again about my posts ?

Ex-military officers fired 147 shots at deGaulle with automatic weapons and not one shot hit any of the occupants of the car.

In comparison, the Warren Commission concluded that a single shooter killed President Kennedy with only three shots from a bolt-action rifle.

If they can't see how this shows how ridiculous the Warren Commission's findings are, I don't know what to say.

It's relevant.

What on earth are you talking about? What does the number of shots fired at deGaulle have to do with the number of shots fired at President Kennedy? They are two completely different events taking place under completely different circumstances. What is your actual point? I can't detect one.

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

I've thought about it, and I don't think I am going to be asking anyone's permission to see if my post is "appropriate" before I say anything in this, or any other forum.

Steve Thomas

Steve, I never said anything about forum members "asking anyone's permission" to post here. People can of course post whatever they want, but they need to then be prepared to discuss the relevancy of said post to JFK assassination-related content. In this case, I don't see the connection at all.

8 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

In August 1962, members of the right-wing OAS attempted to assassinate French President Charles deGaulle with machine guns during an ambush of his motorcade. The attack lasted seven seconds and was unsuccessful. Later, authorities found 147 shell casings at the scene of the ambush, only seven shots hit the car and none of the four occupants were hit.

147 shots were fired at deGaulle and not one shot hit any of the occupants of the car. In comparison, the Warren Commission concluded that a single shooter killed President Kennedy with only three shots from a bolt-action rifle.

Great movie and book. 

13 minutes ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

Steve, I never said anything about forum members "asking anyone's permission" to post here. People can of course post whatever they want, but they need to then be prepared to discuss the relevancy of said post to JFK assassination-related content. In this case, I don't see the connection at all.

The ambush was just one of several attempts on DeGaulle's life in the 60s. After an earlier one, JFK sent what was an apology to the French Ambassador saying he couldn't control elements of his own government--the CIA (see Devil's Chessboard).  Kennedy thought the CIA had been involved.  The CIA admitted that Souetre contacted them in '63 to try to get their help with OAS's vendetta against DeGaulle.  They said they rejected him.  Another limited hangout, or simply a lie?  After JFK was murdered, DeGaulle was reported to have said he thought the same people who had been after him got Kennedy.

This just the bare bones.  Beginning to see a connection?

24 minutes ago, Roger Odisio said:

The ambush was just one of several attempts on DeGaulle's life in the 60s. After an earlier one, JFK sent what was an apology to the French Ambassador saying he couldn't control elements of his own government--the CIA (see Devil's Chessboard).  Kennedy thought the CIA had been involved.  The CIA admitted that Souetre contacted them in '63 to try to get their help with OAS's vendetta against DeGaulle.  They said they rejected him.  Another limited hangout, or simply a lie?  After JFK was murdered, DeGaulle was reported to have said he thought the same people who had been after him got Kennedy.

Roger, I've always been aware of the connection. My point is that Gil's post makes no such connection - instead, it's a thin attempt to (apparently?) spank the Warren Commission for concluding that a lone gunman assassinated President Kennedy in the face of DeGaulle having emerged unscathed from an attack in which 100-plus shots were fired. There's no connection between the actual assassination scenarios beyond that both of them were attempts on the life of a state leader.

4 hours ago, Roger Odisio said:

You stole my thunder. Great post.

Fascinating parallels. 

BTW, worth pondering is...after the 1960s, did the globalist-military-intel factions within France and the US reason, "You know, why can't keep assassinating our own leaders. People will get suspicious. We have to obtain domestic regime-change by other means." 

I conjecture we have seen four presidential regime-change ops in the US in the postwar era---JFK, Nixon, Carter and Trump. 

In the US (I do not know France) the intel state (aka shadow government, or Deep State, national security state) has become so enlarged, well-funded and entrenched it can effectively work through government, media and party mechanisms to torpedo the unwanted Oval Office occupant. 

The characters of the four presidents is not the topic...it is whether the shadow government wanted them to be President. 

52 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

You stole my thunder. Great post.

Fascinating parallels. 

BTW, worth pondering is...after the 1960s, did the globalist-military-intel factions within France and the US reason, "You know, why can't keep assassinating our own leaders. People will get suspicious. We have to obtain domestic regime-change by other means." 

I conjecture we have seen four presidential regime-change ops in the US in the postwar era---JFK, Nixon, Carter and Trump. 

In the US (I do not know France) the intel state (aka shadow government, or Deep State, national security state) has become so enlarged, well-funded and entrenched it can effectively work through government, media and party mechanisms to torpedo the unwanted Oval Office occupant. 

The characters of the four presidents is not the topic...it is whether the shadow government wanted them to be President. 

Trump failed to win the popular vote, attempted to corrupt the electoral college vote, and when that didn't work, he incited his quasi-paramilitary adherents — Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, Three Percenters — to violently disrupt the peaceful transfer of presidential power. On the way, he advocated that his VP be hanged if he didn't obey his orders.

By definition that is an attempted coup — not my view or a simple difference of opinion — but an attempted coup pre and post Jan 6.

Categorizingg Trump as a victim of presidential regime change is factually incorrect. Comparing his failure to win an election with the violence in Dallas, with Watergate, and with the October Surprise is an inversion of the truth and should be called out on this forum. 

13 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

Great thread, Gil