Jump to content
The Education Forum

General Lemay was on his way to the far east on November 22, 1963?


Recommended Posts

According to the book "The Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After" by Steven M. Gillon, LeMay was on a previously scheduled trip to Taiwan and South Vietnam on November 22, 1963. Gillon cites a telegram sent by LeMay to the U.S. Ambassador in Saigon on November 22, which reads: "I regret that events prevented my arrival in Saigon as planned yesterday. I am now in Taipei and hope to be in Saigon on the 23rd."

Additionally, in the book "Curtis LeMay: Strategist and Tactician" by Warren Kozak, the author mentions that LeMay left Washington on November 20, 1963, and was on his way to the Far East when he received news of the assassination.

Does anyone have a copy of the telegram?  Is it available in NARA?

Doug Horne cites that Lemay was at Wiarton, Canada.  So where was LeMay on November 22, 1963?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting. I’d like to see that telegram too. There was so much radio chatter by his adjutant clearly evident in AF 1 tapes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "Chuck Holmes" logbook, which records the arrival and departure of military aircraft at Andrews Air Force Base, has been the subject of controversy among researchers and scholars studying the Kennedy assassination. The controversy primarily revolves around questions of authenticity and accuracy.

One issue with the logbook is that it was not discovered until the late 1990s, long after the assassination and the investigations that followed. Some researchers have questioned why the logbook was not discovered earlier and why it was not turned over to investigators at the time. Others have suggested that the logbook may have been fabricated or altered after the fact to support a particular theory or narrative about the assassination.

In addition to questions of authenticity, there are also concerns about the accuracy of the logbook's contents. Some researchers have noted discrepancies between the logbook's records and other known information about the movements of individuals and aircraft on the day of the assassination. For example, some have pointed out that the logbook records a flight carrying General Curtis LeMay from Andrews Air Force Base to Toronto, Canada, while other sources suggest that LeMay was scheduled to be in the Far East at the time.

Despite these controversies, the "Chuck Holmes" logbook has been used by some researchers and investigators as a credible source of information about the movements of military personnel and aircraft on the day of the assassination. However, it is important to approach any historical document with a critical eye and to consider its reliability and potential biases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doug Horne’s info comes from chatter picked up on AF 1 tapes, which as you know are incomplete. I looked up Chuck Holmes. His bio says he started working at Andrews AF base in 1968, and thereafter was their ‘unofficial’ historian. What do you know of Chuck Holmes? 

Edited by Paul Brancato
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I question whether there was such a telegram.  He was reputedly at Bethesda that night, smoking a cigar at the autopsy.  He didn't fly back from two days travel to the east for the autopsy that night.  I believe I've read he disobeyed orders to land at Andrews AFB and did so at another base nearby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I was using Googles AI and I asked it: "Where was Curtis Lemay the day that JFK was killed?"

This is what Google told me:

Curtis LeMay was airborne on the day that JFK was assassinated. He was in a C-140 aircraft, code-named "Grandson", en route to Travis Air Force Base in California. He was due to arrive at Travis at 1:35pm CST, but his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field after learning of the assassination. LeMay arrived at Love Field at 2:45pm CST, just over an hour after JFK's body had been flown back to Washington.

LeMay was a frequent opponent of Kennedy's, and he had been critical of the president's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis. In the wake of Kennedy's assassination, LeMay became even more outspoken, calling for a more aggressive military posture against the Soviet Union. He retired from the Air Force in 1965.

The audio recording you mentioned is from a conversation between LeMay and an aide on Air Force One. In the recording, LeMay can be heard expressing his anger and disbelief at Kennedy's death. He also calls for a strong military response to the assassination, saying that "we've got to hit them hard."

The recording is a chilling reminder of the Cold War tensions that existed in the early 1960s. It also provides insights into LeMay's personality and his views on military strategy.

I then asked: "his article states that Curtis Lemay was in Canada when JFK was shot: https://jfkfacts.org/a-note-on-curtis-lemays-actions-on-nov-22/"

 

It replied:

You are correct. The article you linked to states that Curtis LeMay was in Canada when JFK was shot. The article says that LeMay was in Ottawa, meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Lester Pearson. However, this is not correct. LeMay was actually in the United States on the day of JFK's assassination. He was in a C-140 aircraft, code-named "Grandson", en route to Travis Air Force Base in California. He was due to arrive at Travis at 1:35pm CST, but his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field after learning of the assassination. LeMay arrived at Love Field at 2:45pm CST, just over an hour after JFK's body had been flown back to Washington.

The article you linked to may have been mistaken about LeMay's location on the day of the assassination. It is possible that the author confused LeMay with another Air Force general, Lauris Norstad, who was actually in Canada on November 22, 1963.

I apologize for the error. I have updated my previous answer to reflect the correct information.

 

I then asked it: "What is the source of your information that Lemay was in a C-140 aircraft when JFK was shot?"

The source of my information that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft when JFK was shot is the following:

  • The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum: The library has a transcript of a conversation between LeMay and an aide on Air Force One, in which LeMay mentions that he was in a C-140 aircraft when he learned of the assassination.
  • The CBS News article "Chilling tape from Air Force One on day JFK shot": The article reports that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft when he learned of the assassination, and that his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field.
  • The book "Curtis LeMay: A Biography" by Robert J. Donovan: The book states that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft when he learned of the assassination, and that his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field.

I have also checked other sources, such as the Wikipedia article on Curtis LeMay, and I have not found any information that contradicts the claim that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft on the day of JFK's assassination.

Therefore, I am confident that the information that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft on the day of JFK's assassination is accurate.


So, what is the truth @Jefferson Morley ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Keyvan Shahrdar said:

I was using Googles AI and I asked it: "Where was Curtis Lemay the day that JFK was killed?"

This is what Google told me:

Curtis LeMay was airborne on the day that JFK was assassinated. He was in a C-140 aircraft, code-named "Grandson", en route to Travis Air Force Base in California. He was due to arrive at Travis at 1:35pm CST, but his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field after learning of the assassination. LeMay arrived at Love Field at 2:45pm CST, just over an hour after JFK's body had been flown back to Washington.

LeMay was a frequent opponent of Kennedy's, and he had been critical of the president's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis. In the wake of Kennedy's assassination, LeMay became even more outspoken, calling for a more aggressive military posture against the Soviet Union. He retired from the Air Force in 1965.

The audio recording you mentioned is from a conversation between LeMay and an aide on Air Force One. In the recording, LeMay can be heard expressing his anger and disbelief at Kennedy's death. He also calls for a strong military response to the assassination, saying that "we've got to hit them hard."

The recording is a chilling reminder of the Cold War tensions that existed in the early 1960s. It also provides insights into LeMay's personality and his views on military strategy.

I then asked: "his article states that Curtis Lemay was in Canada when JFK was shot: https://jfkfacts.org/a-note-on-curtis-lemays-actions-on-nov-22/"

 

It replied:

You are correct. The article you linked to states that Curtis LeMay was in Canada when JFK was shot. The article says that LeMay was in Ottawa, meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Lester Pearson. However, this is not correct. LeMay was actually in the United States on the day of JFK's assassination. He was in a C-140 aircraft, code-named "Grandson", en route to Travis Air Force Base in California. He was due to arrive at Travis at 1:35pm CST, but his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field after learning of the assassination. LeMay arrived at Love Field at 2:45pm CST, just over an hour after JFK's body had been flown back to Washington.

The article you linked to may have been mistaken about LeMay's location on the day of the assassination. It is possible that the author confused LeMay with another Air Force general, Lauris Norstad, who was actually in Canada on November 22, 1963.

I apologize for the error. I have updated my previous answer to reflect the correct information.

 

I then asked it: "What is the source of your information that Lemay was in a C-140 aircraft when JFK was shot?"

The source of my information that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft when JFK was shot is the following:

  • The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum: The library has a transcript of a conversation between LeMay and an aide on Air Force One, in which LeMay mentions that he was in a C-140 aircraft when he learned of the assassination.
  • The CBS News article "Chilling tape from Air Force One on day JFK shot": The article reports that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft when he learned of the assassination, and that his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field.
  • The book "Curtis LeMay: A Biography" by Robert J. Donovan: The book states that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft when he learned of the assassination, and that his plane was diverted to Dallas Love Field.

I have also checked other sources, such as the Wikipedia article on Curtis LeMay, and I have not found any information that contradicts the claim that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft on the day of JFK's assassination.

Therefore, I am confident that the information that LeMay was in a C-140 aircraft on the day of JFK's assassination is accurate.


So, what is the truth @Jefferson Morley ?

Great stuff. 

"The audio recording you mentioned is from a conversation between LeMay and an aide on Air Force One. In the recording, LeMay can be heard expressing his anger and disbelief at Kennedy's death. He also calls for a strong military response to the assassination, saying that 'we've got to hit them hard.'"

---30---

In 1963, there were many, in high positions, advocating a nuclear strike on the Soviet Union. This comment is far more chilling than LeMay's purported callousness at the autopsy (where it is not certain he even attended). 

John Newman has posited that is why the CIA had LHO meet with Kostikov in Mexico City---either to help shut down a true investigation into the JFKA, or possibly to trigger an invasion of Cuba and possible war with Russia. 

You wonder why the JFK records are kept from you? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LeMay was in Canada on a hunting trip, after having earlier been on vacation in the Midwest.   This has been discussed and deconstructed so many times that the fact that its still in doubt at this time, that people writing books are getting it that wrong and that anyone would rely on Google for an answer is really depressing.  Of course it does demonstrate that its possible to make a mystery out of anything I suppose and that actual answers never "stick" as well as the mysteries.

As to the AF1 tape, having studied it and knowing something of AF communications I can support Doug is saying there is missing voice and possibly data traffic.  I also have researched and presented on the control and actual release of the tape, and the transcript used by Manchester. However the voice traffic that is on the record is reliable and support's Doug on LeMay's location - for that matter we know the aircraft he used to get back to DC and the Canadian air field it flew out of that day.  

https://larryhancock.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/air-force-one-tape-and-general-lemay/

If somebody shows me the telegram I will back off and restudy...until then the factual answer is, LeMay was hunting in Canada.

 

Edited by Larry Hancock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

LeMay was in Canada on a hunting trip, after having earlier been on vacation in the Midwest.   This has been discussed and deconstructed so many times that the fact that its still in doubt at this time, that people writing books are getting it that wrong and that anyone would rely on Google for an answer is really depressing.  Of course it does demonstrate that its possible to make a mystery out of anything I suppose and that actual answers never "stick" as well as the mysteries.

As to the AF1 tape, having studied it and knowing something of AF communications I can support Doug is saying there is missing voice and possibly data traffic.  I also have researched and presented on the control and actual release of the tape, and the transcript used by Manchester. However the voice traffic that is on the record is reliable and support's Doug on LeMay's location - for that matter we know the aircraft he used to get back to DC and the Canadian air field it flew out of that day.  

https://larryhancock.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/air-force-one-tape-and-general-lemay/

If somebody shows me the telegram I will back off and restudy...until then the factual answer is, LeMay was hunting in Canada.

 

Thanks Larry. I am glad humans are still better than AI. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

LeMay was in Canada on a hunting trip, after having earlier been on vacation in the Midwest.   This has been discussed and deconstructed so many times that the fact that its still in doubt at this time, that people writing books are getting it that wrong and that anyone would rely on Google for an answer is really depressing.  Of course it does demonstrate that its possible to make a mystery out of anything I suppose and that actual answers never "stick" as well as the mysteries.

As to the AF1 tape, having studied it and knowing something of AF communications I can support Doug is saying there is missing voice and possibly data traffic.  I also have researched and presented on the control and actual release of the tape, and the transcript used by Manchester. However the voice traffic that is on the record is reliable and support's Doug on LeMay's location - for that matter we know the aircraft he used to get back to DC and the Canadian air field it flew out of that day.  

https://larryhancock.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/air-force-one-tape-and-general-lemay/

If somebody shows me the telegram I will back off and restudy...until then the factual answer is, LeMay was hunting in Canada.

 

Nice one Larry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

If anything is liable to make an AI stumble its probably the JFK assassination ....

"The audio recording you mentioned is from a conversation between LeMay and an aide on Air Force One. In the recording, LeMay can be heard expressing his anger and disbelief at Kennedy's death. He also calls for a strong military response to the assassination, saying that 'we've got to hit them hard.'"

---is this not an accurate bit of info? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ben you have me stumped on that?   I recall the exchanges between and aide to LeMay and AF1, he is communicating to AF1 in regard to LeMay.

But LeMay's aid was not on AF1, he was in DC and routed through the comm center that handled communications with the special unit charged with White House and other official aircraft - that center was in communications with AF1 as well as the delegation that was outbound to Japan over the Pacific.  

Could you give me a link or reference to the conversation between the aid and LeMay that you referenced; I do recall them being in contact through Single Side Band radio but I do not remember a tape or transcript of that exchange).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2023 at 7:07 AM, Keyvan Shahrdar said:

According to the book "The Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After" by Steven M. Gillon, LeMay was on a previously scheduled trip to Taiwan and South Vietnam on November 22, 1963. Gillon cites a telegram sent by LeMay to the U.S. Ambassador in Saigon on November 22, which reads: "I regret that events prevented my arrival in Saigon as planned yesterday. I am now in Taipei and hope to be in Saigon on the 23rd."

Additionally, in the book "Curtis LeMay: Strategist and Tactician" by Warren Kozak, the author mentions that LeMay left Washington on November 20, 1963, and was on his way to the Far East when he received news of the assassination.

Does anyone have a copy of the telegram?  Is it available in NARA?

Doug Horne cites that Lemay was at Wiarton, Canada.  So where was LeMay on November 22, 1963?

Keyvan, why are you saying that in Warren Kozak's book, "Curtis LeMay: Strategist and Tactician", "the author mentions that LeMay left Washington on November 20, 1963, and was on his way to the Far East when he received news of the assassination"?

I am looking at the Kozak book right now and Kozak says on page 356:

"On November 22, 1963, while on a hunting trip in Michigan, Curtis LeMay heard that President Kennedy had been assassinated in Dallas. He immediately flew back to Washington..." 

Edited by Greg Doudna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

LeMay was in Canada on a hunting trip, after having earlier been on vacation in the Midwest.   This has been discussed and deconstructed so many times that the fact that its still in doubt at this time, that people writing books are getting it that wrong and that anyone would rely on Google for an answer is really depressing.  Of course it does demonstrate that its possible to make a mystery out of anything I suppose and that actual answers never "stick" as well as the mysteries.

As to the AF1 tape, having studied it and knowing something of AF communications I can support Doug is saying there is missing voice and possibly data traffic.  I also have researched and presented on the control and actual release of the tape, and the transcript used by Manchester. However the voice traffic that is on the record is reliable and support's Doug on LeMay's location - for that matter we know the aircraft he used to get back to DC and the Canadian air field it flew out of that day.  

https://larryhancock.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/air-force-one-tape-and-general-lemay/

If somebody shows me the telegram I will back off and restudy...until then the factual answer is, LeMay was hunting in Canada.

 

Hear, hear!  Been down this road before but I guess a new generation has to be told the Truth, and I need refreshing as well.  Then LeMay landed at (?) nearby military base instead of Andrews where he had been ordered to (where Airforce One/LBJ/JFK's body landed)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...