The Education Forum

The Durham Report and Russiagate

What happened to Trump can happen to RFK Jr.---but will RFK Jr buckle? I think not. 

It will be bombs away on RFK Jr if he gains traction. 

I predict Russia-gating of some sort. RFK Jr. already made comments about Ukraine. He can be cast as a Moscow stooge. 

Not possible? 

Think again.

Durham is Too Late to Stop the Madness

A Special Counsel report chronicles how intelligence agencies engineered a national hysteria, but its publication comes too late to reverse the damage

MAY 16

PREVIEW

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLuci

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLuci

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FNote

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama  

I read Special Counsel John Durham’s “Report on Matters Related to Intelligence Activities and Investigations Arising Out of the 2016 Presidential Campaigns” yesterday in a state I can only describe as psychic exhaustion. As Sue Schmidt’s “Eight Key Takeaways” summary shows, the stuff in this report should kill the Trump-Russia conspiracy theory ten times over, but we know better than that. This story never dies. Every time you shoot at it, it splits into six new deep state fantasies.

I’ve given up. Nearly seven years ago this idiotic tale dropped in my relatively uncomplicated life like a grenade, upending professional relationships, friendships, even family life. Those of us in media who were skeptics or even just uninterested were cast out as from a religious sect — colleagues unironically called us denialists” — denounced in the best case as pathological wreckers and refuseniks, in the worst as literal agents of the FSB.

---30---

Ben has a new verb-- to "Russia-gate."

It's related to Ben's fixed delusion that Trump and his 2016 campaign associates were not involved with, and supported by, the Kremlin.

A corollary is Ben's delusion that the four-year Durham investigation was not, in fact, a nothing burger.

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben has a new verb-- to "Russia-gate."

It's related to Ben's fixed delusion that Trump and his 2016 campaign associates were not involved with, and supported by, the Kremlin.

A corollary is Ben's delusion that the four-year Durham investigation was not, in fact, a nothing burger.

Worth watching. 

3 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Similar to how Twitter was purchased by a right-wing extremist and then driven into the ground with fascist rhetoric, so has the once-mighty CNN:

https://www.vox.com/2022/8/26/23322761/cnn-john-malone-david-zaslav-chris-licht-brian-stelter-fox-peter-kafka-column

Matt,

On the subject of corporate media propaganda, it's also disturbing this week to see a number of mainstream media corps -- including USA Today-- selling Durham's nothing burger to the American public.

War is peace.  Freedom is slavery.  Russia-gate was a hoax.

Duped by Durham: Media fall for the spin on report about Trump-Russia probe | Salon.com

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

it's also disturbing this week to see a number of mainstream media corps -- including USA Today-- selling Durham's nothing burger to the American public.

Yes, but thankfully spin has an expiration date, and facts do not.

This chart lays out the cold, hard truth for history:

FwUN3yTX0AAWXj4?format=jpg&name=900x900

18 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

HI Gene- I'm curious about your source on this, as there is still a Homer Echevarria that is the exact same age currently living in Sarasota FL.

Matt

I am having trouble finding my original source for his death ... I extracted it from somewhere but cannot locate it.  Perhaps David Boylan or Larry Hancock can weigh-in here and help. There is an INS file for Homero Samuel Valdivia Echevarria. Cuban; born at Jatibonico, Camaguay, Cuba; 5-9 160; black hair; mustache; olive complexion.  I did find an obituary for a Homer Samuel Echevarria - born September 1931 and passed away September 2018 in Sarasota Florida (but not sure this is the same individual). Here is how Echevarria is typically described in declassified records:

White, male Cuban. 32, 3' 9", 160 lbs., black hair, mustache, olive complexion. In Chicago, he maintained steady employment as Chicago transit authority bus driver. Son of Ebelia Echevarria, a "source" for the Chicago office of the FBI. Born at Jatibonico, Camaguay, Cuba. Employed by C. J. Simpson Drilling Co., resided briefly in Dallas at 10353 Denton Drive. Fled Castro's Cuba. Resided in Anniston, Ala 6 months. Had entered United States on July 6, 1960, at Miami, FL, via Cuvano Airlines flight No. 808. I&NS Alien Number is A-12 236 480 (201-767409) 

The HSCA later learned that Echevarria "might have been a member of the 30th of November anti-Castro organization, that he was associated with Juan Francisco Blanco-Fernandez, military director of the DRE, and that the arms deal was being financed through one Paulino Sierra Martinez by hoodlum elements in Chicago and elsewhere".  Unfortunately, the FBI directed the Secret Service to terminate its investigation and turn over its files to the FBI ...  but FBI did not subsequently pursue the case. Photos of Echevarria apparently don't exist (or are rare).  In an April 1978 HSCA interview of Chicago SS agent Joseph Noonan, Jr., regarding an informant named Mosely and Echevaria, the agent stated:

“He participated directly in surveillance involving Tom Mosely and Homer Echevarria … he and other agents were uneasy that the Cubans might have some ties to the CIA, and they called Assistant Chief Paul Paterni in Washington and asked him to check on this possibility. Paterni assured them shortly thereafter that it was all right to proceed with their investigation. A little later they received a call from Headquarters to drop everything on Mosely and Echevarria and send all memos, files, and their notebooks to Washington and not to discuss the case with anyone.” 

Gene 

PS. A good source for reference documents is Joe Backes, "ARRB Summaries: The Tenth Batch (Part Two)" in Assassination Archives

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Matt,

On the subject of corporate media propaganda, it's also disturbing this week to see a number of mainstream media corps -- including USA Today-- selling Durham's nothing burger to the American public.

War is peace.  Freedom is slavery.  Russia-gate was a hoax.

Duped by Durham: Media fall for the spin on report about Trump-Russia probe | Salon.com

William and Matt:

Durham is not alone.  Here is CJR, the most respected journalistic ethics review publication there is, saying the same thing.

https://www.cjr.org/special_report/trumped-up-press-versus-president-part-1.php

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

William and Matt:

Durham is not alone.  Here is CJR, the most respected journalistic ethics review publication there is, saying the same thing.

https://www.cjr.org/special_report/trumped-up-press-versus-president-part-1.php

Jim,

The Jeff Gerth Russia-gate denial article was misleading and atypical for CJR.

And, as it turns out, Gerth was a promoter of the partisan GOP Whitewater hoax during Bill Clinton's presidency.

(We discussed it on the 56 Years thread in February.)

Here's my February 15th post about Gerth's weird article.

Andrew Prokop has just published a definitive takedown of Jeff Gerth's bogus CJR revisionist history article claiming that Trump's Russia-gate scandal was a hoax. 

I didn't realize that Jeff Gerth was involved years ago in promoting the GOP Whitewater hoax about Bill Clinton.

Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Jeff Gerth, and the Trump-Russia revisionists, explained - Vox   

Edited by W. Niederhut

3 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jim---

The Russia-gating of Trump is a remarkable story---and does not make Trump a nice guy or a good president.

But it happened nevertheless.

Matt Taibbi, Glenn Greenwald, CJR, Kim Iversen, Chris Hedges, Michael Schellenberger, Aron Matte, Bret Stephens, Lee Fang, Saager Enjeti, Ryan Grim...the list goes on and on of independent journalists---none of them Trump supporters---who have correctly interpreted what happened in the Russiagate Hoax. 

For me, this is larger than partisan politics.

The important point: This is how any non-establishment candidate can get torpedoed.  

You want collusion, well you can get it in spades with a political party, a weaponized prosecutorial state, congressional investigations, and a rabid media. 

If RFK Jr. gets traction, see the Plan A, the Russia-gating of RFK Jr. 

If Plan A does not work...well, I do not want to know what is Plan B. 

I agree Ben, that its bigger than the usual partisan politics by each side.

Before he died, I had a talk with Bob Parry about this.

I said it was surprising to me how many reporters were jumping on this Russia Gate bandwagon. I told him, I think part of it is because they were humiliated by the fact that Trump beat HRC.  And hardly any of the MSM thought that could happen.  I mean everyone has seen those compilation videos on You Tube with all the pundits, and some movie stars, saying that HRC was going to win.

There were very few exceptions, like Michael Moore, who predicted accurately what was going to happen.  But he was not part of the MSM.  So I told Bob that I thought that this was going to be their way of making an excuse for being so thunderously wrong.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jim,

Prokop exposed Gerth's faulty logic and semantics quite incisively in the Vox article (above.)

Gerth's bogus arguments were predicated on a false definition of "Russia-gate."

The facts indicate that Putin interfered in our 2016 election on behalf of Trump, and the Trump campaign had multiple contacts with Kremlin officials.  Then Trump, Manafort, and Stone repeatedly obstructed Mueller's aborted investigation.

Meanwhile, the Bill Barr/Durham Russia hoax hoax can't be described more clearly than this.

How John Durham Succeeded by Failing – Mother Jones

May 17, 2023

Edited by W. Niederhut

36 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I agree Ben, that its bigger than the usual partisan politics by each side.

Before he died, I had a talk with Bob Parry about this.

I said it was surprising to me how many reporters were jumping on this Russia Gate bandwagon. I told him, I think part of it is because they were humiliated by the fact that Trump beat HRC.  And hardly any of the MSM thought that could happen.  I mean everyone has seen those compilation videos on You Tube with all the pundits, and some movie stars, saying that HRC was going to win.

There were very few exceptions, like Michael Moore, who predicted accurately what was going to happen.  But he was not part of the MSM.  So I told Bob that I thought that this was going to be their way of making an excuse for being so thunderously wrong.

On one level, the Russiagate hoax was about putting torpedoes into a non-establishment candidate. 

On a larger level, Russiagate was another divisive issue to be used against American voters. 

American are constantly trained to focus on divisive issues to which there are no right answers, such as abortion, gun control, race relations, gay and trans-rights and so on. The Russiagate follies. 

Russiagate was part of that---the M$M focus on Trump's putative sins, not on the big issues, the ones that the 160 million Americans who are employees have in common. 

The M$M rarely discusses wages...or that Biden's Secy of Labor just quit after a whole two years on the job. After Biden put the knife into railroad unions. 

And the JFK Records Act is never a story, never a cause celebre.  Jeff Bezos' WaPo is totally uninterested in the JFK Records (and Amazon gets huge CIA contracts. You can't make this stuff up). 

This is not a defense of Trump, or the sordid establishment GOP. 

It is a reflection on how the M$M trains the American public.