The Education Forum

Biography: Isabelle Voegeli

From 1994 to 1996, I worked as teacher and at the same time as independent journalist. I have joined to the European Navigator project since its foundation in 1996. In 2000, I have contributed to establish the Centre Virtuel de la Connaissance sur l’Europe and have joined the board of coordinators and since 2003, I’m mainly in charge of the relations with the teachers.

European NAvigator (ENA), a multimedia database on the history and institutions of post-war Europe, is the flagship service of the Centre Virtuel de la Connaissance sur l’Europe (CVCE). Accessible on www.ena.lu., the database provides students, researchers and anyone who is interested with all that is necessary to form their own opinions about the process of European integration. ENA brings together more than 7000 rigorously selected documents. The material is structured chronologically and by subject, each section featuring original historical documents – photos, sound clips, film recordings, treaties, press articles, cartoons and so on – alongside documents created by the CVCE, such as interviews, and interactive maps and diagrams.

For two years we have worked with some pilote sites to see how such a database can be used in class. Among our pilote sites at university level are the European University Institute in Florence and the Universities of Cergy-Pontoise and Luxemburg. Concerning the secondary schools we’ve worked mainly in Luxembourg until now where we have direct contacts with the schools and also work within the framework of teacher’s life-long learning.