The Education Forum

John David Hurt

Ron Ecker

William

Of the original members of William Friedman's Team of Cryptologist (which became the NSA) only John B. Hurt's post war work is still classified in total. I was able to have an NSA Historian confirm some languages that Hurt spoke.......notably he left out confirmation that he spoke Russian.....

Hurt's first and third wife were the same person. She was a concert cellist and from my understanding was fluent in Russian. Family members suggest that John B. was as well.

While I have drawn the conclusion that by neglecting to confirm that he spoke Russian the NSA Historian (albeit in a round about way) was confirming that Hurt's still classified work may well have been centered around work dealing with the Russian languages.

Seems there may be a lot we still do not know about Cold War Crypto work, John B. Hurt and why Lee Harvey Oswald would make a phone call to someone with the name John Hurt.

Jim Root

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William

Of the original members of William Friedman's Team of Cryptologist (which became the NSA) only John B. Hurt's post war work is still classified in total. I was able to have an NSA Historian confirm some languages that Hurt spoke.......notably he left out confirmation that he spoke Russian.....

Hurt's first and third wife were the same person. She was a concert cellist and from my understanding was fluent in Russian. Family members suggest that John B. was as well.

While I have drawn the conclusion that by neglecting to confirm that he spoke Russian the NSA Historian (albeit in a round about way) was confirming that Hurt's still classified work may well have been centered around work dealing with the Russian languages.

Seems there may be a lot we still do not know about Cold War Crypto work, John B. Hurt and why Lee Harvey Oswald would make a phone call to someone with the name John Hurt.

Jim Root

Jim,

Many thanks for your always sound, knowledgeable and reasonable analysis.

Bill Kelly

• 6 years later...
On 12/27/2016 at 7:06 AM, Karl Kinaski said:

Thanks for the video. Karl.  The takeaway here seems to be that by the time of the assassination, the cutout contact supplied Oswald - former military intelligence operative John  David Hurt - was a sham.  Severely disabled, retired and embittered, Hurt was as likely to tell Oswald to screw off as help him had Oswald's phone call gone through.  Is this verifiable?

Hurt may never have been activated as liaison between Oswald and anyone else.  He may have been a name and an association - Nag's Head naval station - dropped to give Oswald confidence.  I doubt that Oswald was "dead the minute he tried to make that phone call."  He was dead the second JFK was, and all the time he had left was accidental.  It seems more plausible that the Dallas police were simply recording Oswald's attempts at phone contacts, and not allowing him to call any persons outside the Dallas area. Did Oswald suspect this when he asked Ruth Paine to contact New York attorney John Abt (whose help may have been another sham fed him before the assassination)?

Edited by David Andrews

Well put, David.

My take is that the Lee Oswald calls were anagram puzzles created by Richard Case Nagell, and that the person, “John Hurt”, is probably irrelevant. Richard wanted us to know that many, if not most, of the enigmas surrounding the assassination originated from anagrams of the names of the three members of “ICO” (Igor, Case, Oswald):

Richard Case Nagell

Lee Harvey Oswald

Igor Vladimirs Vaganov

Here are a few pertinent anagrams of “RICHARD CASE NAGELL”:  

“C’S RALEIGH CALENDAR”

“RALEIGH’S ARCANE 11/23”

“CRIER CALL NAGS HEAD”

“L’S RALEIGH N.C. ARCADE”

etc.

There appear to be two intended puzzles, one thirteen-letter version, and one seventeen-letter version”

(1) “JOHN HURT, RAL NC”

(2) “JOHN HURT, RALEIGH NC”

A major topic appears to be “HL HUNT JR”, and here are a couple of sample anagrams from the two versions above:

(1) “HL HUNT JR RAN O. C”

(2) “HUNT JR IN CHARGE LHO”

In my amateurish way, I have posted several times about the John Hurt puzzles. I could spend months on these and not get to the bottom of them, but with a small team of good anagram puzzlers that were also well versed in the assassination, it might take a matter of days. 

Don’t hold me to it, but there are some puzzle indications that the name “JOHN HURT” may be merely a supply of anagramming letters and nothing more. Here’s an anagram of “JOHN HURT, RALEIGH NC”:  

“A HLH, IGNORE J HURT. CN”

Below are two of ICO’s main decoding tools. The Number/Letter translation device, and ICO’s “Double Talk” (“DT”) cypher. Try your hand.

Tom

Letter/Number translation device:

(A=0)(B=1)(C=2)(D=3)(E=4)(F=5)(G=6)(H=7)(I=8)(J=9)(K=10)(L=11)(M=12)(N=13)(O=14)(P=15)(Q=16)(R=17)(S=18)(T=19)(U=20)(V=21)(W=22)(X=23)(Y=24)(Z=25) 

“DT” Cypher (a simple substitution cypher - works from the top down):

A..B..C..D..E..F..G..H..I..J..K..L..M..N..O..P..Q..R..S..T..U..V..W..X..Y..Z

K..L..M..N..O.P..Q..R..S.T.U..V..W..X..Y...Z..A..B..C..D..E..F..G...H..I...J

Edited by Tom Hume