The Education Forum

Gaeton Fonzi

John Simkin

One of the best books on the JFK assassination is Gaeton Fonzi's The Last Investigation. Fonzi worked for the HSCA. The CIA forced all members of the committee, all staff members, all consultants to the committee, and several independent researchers involved in the investigation, to sign a Nondisclosure Agreement. As Richard E. Sprague, one of the consultants, later explained: "First, it binds the signer, if a consultant, to never reveal that he is working for the committee. Second, it prevents the signer from ever revealing to anyone in perpetuity, any information he has learned about the committee's work as a result of working for the committee. Third, it gives the committee and the House, after the committee terminates, the power to take legal action against the signer, in a court named by the committee or the House, in case the committee believes the signer has violated the agreement. Fourth, the signer agrees to pay the court costs for such a suit in the event he loses the suit."

As good as the book is, you are constantly aware that Fonzi knows much more.

John, I agree with you that Fonzi's book is excellent. It was Chapter Seven of that book, "Searching for Ghosts in Key West" that re-ignited my interest in the assassination. By the way, most of the book can be seen on Gordon Winslow's web-site, cuban-exile.com. It is actually the article Fonzi published in Washingtonian magazine. As I recall, Phillips sued him over the book or article. I don't recall the result.

"Sons and Brothers" by Richard Mahoney is also excellent. I believe Mahoney knows more than he reveals in the book as well.

John Simkin Posted Today, 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Tim Gratz @ Jan 28 2005, 11:00 AM)

John,

You should have Mr. Fonzi and Mr. Blakey join the Forum.

Both have refused. Under the terms of the CIA documents they signed they cannot fully explain what they know about the assassination.

This information just helps to explain the fact why a government led investigation is useless. It sounds like the issued task is: "find out the truth, but in case you find part of the truth or the whole truth don't ever write about it or discuss it with anyone".

Therefore the decision from the outset is: there is no conspiracy, and even if there is we won't look into it.

Well, since Congress passed the JFK Records Act (not sure if I got the name right) Congress ought to pass a law freeing them from such restrictions absent a presidential finding of legitimate national security concerns, with any such finding subject to judicial review.

John Simkin Posted Today, 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Tim Gratz @ Jan 28 2005, 11:00 AM)

John,

Both have refused. Under the terms of the CIA documents they signed they cannot fully explain what they know about the assassination.

This information just helps to explain the fact why a government led investigation is useless. It sounds like the issued task is: "find out the truth, but in case you find part of the truth or the whole truth don't ever write about it or discuss it with anyone".

Therefore the decision from the outset is: there is no conspiracy, and even if there is we won't look into it.

That is not how HSCA begun. Under the first atty, Richard Sprague (not the Richard Sprague John mentioned) they were going after ALL leads wherever it took them. The CIA-controlled media attacked Sprague, and he was forced to resign. He and Gonzales got into it, but the media made sure from the start that this investigation would not lead to the truth. The people hired initially were going to get it, period. But our government will not allow such a thing. (Castro again, eh Tim Gratz B)) Fonzi's book is GREAT, one of my favorites on the subject.

I doubt he goes on any forums, which would be why he refused.

Dawn

Well, since Congress passed the JFK Records Act (not sure if I got the name right) Congress ought to pass a law freeing them from such restrictions absent a presidential finding of legitimate national security concerns, with any such finding subject to judicial review.

Our present Congress? Ya sure? And our current president would say it IS a matter of national security. (IMHO)

But such a law would be great and something to seek if things ever change. Now there is one task we could take, each of us pick a single member of congress and write to this person, educate he or she...just a thought.

Dawn

John,

Have they specifically refused because of a purported CIA document they signed? Has Mr Fonzi corroborated that he signed a non-disclosure agreement? I would like to see further evidence that everyone involved with the HSCA had to sign an agreement forced upon them by the CIA.

RJS

Have they specifically refused because of a purported CIA document they signed? Has Mr Fonzi corroborated that he signed a non-disclosure agreement? I would like to see further evidence that everyone involved with the HSCA had to sign an agreement forced upon them by the CIA.

RJS

As I recall it, Fonzi specifically says in his book that he was forced to sign something and that he waited for Phillips to die before writing his book, figuring that would minimize the chances of his being brought into court.

I could be wrong but I believe Fonzi WAS sued by Phillips over the article in Washingtonian magazine (that preceded his book). I just don't remember the result of the suit.

Again, for anyone who wants to read Fonzi, most of the content of the book is covered in the article which can be found at cuban-exile.com.