The Education Forum

What did a CIA asset earn?

I frequently read about LHO being a possible CIA asset of some sort (fake defector, infiltrator,...).

Something that is never taken into consideration are his earnings for that job?

Only in Russia he had plenty of money it seems (and nothing to spend it on...).

Perhaps before going to Russia he got an advance, could explain the expensive hotels, etc. But he seemed to live cheap otherwise, so... 

I have only found CIA accountant James B. Wilcott*, who told HSCA staffers that there was an encrypted account for LHO (or the Oswald project). The cryptonym was RX-ZIM.

Was this indeed the only reference ?

Was there ever anything substantial about payments received from the CIA (how would that normally work, I´d assume one would get a fake - cover - job?).  Would it pay like a regular job or more?

In the files we do see approvals for allowances for some persons that are usually just sources of information keeping an eye on something or somebody. 

*https://www.tpaak.com/james-wilcott a lot of info using direct links (they actually really work!) to all you want to know about him (from his fitness reports, life/ bio, HSCA testimony,....the works...)

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

Oswald had difficulty buying a washing machine for Marina. From this it always looked to me like LHO was strapped for cash, at least in the fall of 1963.

Did he get money before this we don't know about? Did GDM give him money? I don't know.

But in the critical timeframe of the JFK assassination, it does not appear he had any extra noticeable cash. 

The reason for me to post this was because I was thinking (speculating) those payments could have been for people keeping an eye on Oswald (his handlers if you like). Payments regarding the Oswald Project, and not, as sometimes suggested, to Oswald.

3 minutes ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

The reason for me to post this was because I was thinking (speculating) those payments could have been for people keeping an eye on Oswald (his handlers if you like). Payments regarding the Oswald Project, and not, as sometimes suggested, to Oswald.

Interesting angle.

There are a few examples, but not of a actual fake defector. And most certainly not one that came back.

So I have no idea... it´s easy to say he was CIA (in some sort). But show me the money..., LHO was continuesly looking for a place to live.  When he lived at the White Russians house (a few days with Marina) he felt like he had it all, and seemed to like living in some sort of abundance with a filled fridge for a change.

So, or they paid him peanuts, or he just wasn´t CIA. 

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

I can't answer the question. I just wanted to say that I personally believe that James & Elsie Wilcott confirm to my satisfaction that Oswald was a CIA asset.

In a 1978 interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, Jim Wilcott said, “It was common knowledge in the Tokyo CIA station that Oswald worked for the agency.”

“That’s true,” Elsie Wilcott said. “Right after the President was killed, people in the Tokyo station were talking openly about Oswald having gone to Russia for the CIA. Everyone was wondering how the agency was going to be able to keep the lid on Oswald. But I guess they did,” she said

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/Unspeakable/JamesWilcottJFK+US.html

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

I can't answer the question. I just wanted to say that I personally believe that James & Elsie Wilcott confirm to my satisfaction that Oswald was a CIA asset.

In a 1978 interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, Jim Wilcott said, “It was common knowledge in the Tokyo CIA station that Oswald worked for the agency.”

“That’s true,” Elsie Wilcott said. “Right after the President was killed, people in the Tokyo station were talking openly about Oswald having gone to Russia for the CIA. Everyone was wondering how the agency was going to be able to keep the lid on Oswald. But I guess they did,” she said

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/Unspeakable/JamesWilcottJFK+US.html

Interesting is the notation that LHO had withdrawn funds from the secret account when he got back from Russia, could explain why he repaid his brother and the State rather fast. But it would also seem it was not "a lot" of money, not for going to Russia (a high risk employment IMO).

We have all seen the WC  financial balancing, as often with the WC it´s a tight fit (and some things were stretched to make it fit). It´s all too close and real life isn´t like that. He´d have a good month, a bad month, etc In his circumstances I would have expected more short term loans (family or friends) to cover the weeks he had no income.  They tried explaining it by saying they lived cheap... He regularly lost jobs, so rent, wife, kids, transport, food,... it just doesn´t work for me. And in the end he did have some cash.

I don´t think one has ever found a bank account on his name?  I know in the 1960´s lower incomes didn´t go with credit cards, or have the pay deposited. 

They did find a lot of paperwork, but nothing about closing an account, or withdrawels.  If he was CIA that would probably go paperless, or using an alias, like Hidell or Osborne... 😀

Edited by Jean Ceulemans