The Education Forum

Slightly Off Topic: Directions?

Nic Martin

I'm going back to Dealey Plaza in April ( will be in the area and plan on stopping by ), and likely in November, but I haven't seen the "Other Sights" - Tippit scene, Texas Theater, etc. I'm having terrible trouble finding directions other than 1963 maps ( and with how things change, I'm not sure they'd be of much use ). Anyone know of any directions? At all? ..Bueller?

I'm going back to Dealey Plaza in April ( will be in the area and plan on stopping by ), and likely in November, but I haven't seen the "Other Sights" - Tippit scene, Texas Theater, etc. I'm having terrible trouble finding directions other than 1963 maps ( and with how things change, I'm not sure they'd be of much use ). Anyone know of any directions? At all? ..Bueller?

Nic

I could recomeend that you order a Dallas street atlas from Amazon.

I cant' find my copy right now to give you the name.

Or you could get the DELORME TEXAS ATLAS and a Street map in a convenience store...

[i posted one scan of mine on another thread called Dealey Plaza Map}

Nic

Or you could get the DELORME TEXAS ATLAS and a Street map in a convenience store...

I could go into a store around here and buy a Dallas street map, but I can't find street names for the Texas Theater, and I USED to have it around here somewhere, but my memory's shot due to stress ( waiting on SAT scores and recovering from a 2nd-degree burn on my foot ) and my room's a current mess due to scrambling to find a lizard that was hiding underneath my dresser.

Edited by Nic Martin

Lucky you Nic to be that close.

Sweet on hearing about your lizard.

I guess I am lucky to be close to NARA and you are lucky to be that close to Dallas.

Good trip. Hope you find everything you want to find.

Send back some good pictures.

Do me a favor if you can.

Your very young can you go to the area where Zaphruder filmed and see just how far you can go with the camera over to the steps. See if a person were standing about where the three men stood if you can see any parts of their heads at all or how much of their bodies would have showed up? I would love to have a straight answer on that once and for all.

I would appreciate this more than you can ever dare dream.

Thanks,

Nic

Nic I will make some inquiries and get back to you.

Dawn

I could go into a store around here and buy a Dallas street map, but I can't find street names for the Texas Theater, and I USED to have it around here somewhere, but my memory's shot due to stress ( waiting on SAT scores and recovering from a 2nd-degree burn on my foot ) and my room's a current mess due to scrambling to find a lizard that was hiding underneath my dresser.

Sorry I posted within your post, in a rush, but the map posted looks pretty good too.

Dawn

Nic,

I could go into a store around here and buy a Dallas street map, but I can't find street names for the Texas Theater,

I'm pretty sure that the street address for the Texas Theater was 231 W. Jefferson.

I'm not sure if it was torn down in the meantime though.

Steve Thomas

Lucky you Nic to be that close. 

Sweet on hearing about your lizard. 

I guess I am lucky to be close to NARA and you are lucky to be that close to Dallas.

Good trip. Hope you find everything you want to find. 

Send back some good pictures. 

Do me a favor if you can.

Your very young can you go to the area where Zaphruder filmed and see just how far you can go with the camera over to the steps.  See if a person were standing about where the three men stood if you can see any parts of their heads at all or how much of their bodies would have showed up?  I would love to have a straight answer on that once and for all.

I would appreciate this more than you can ever dare dream.

Thanks,

It's not "close," really, it's like a four hour drive just to the center of Dallas, but I am closer than a lot of people here. :]

I will definitely take pictures, I took pictures last time but it was before I knew as much as I knew now, so it was mainly just of the landmarks ( Knoll Fence, Triple Underpass, standing on the X and looking up at the Book Depository while trying not to get hit by the speeding traffic ).

I'll definitely check that, I'll try to take pictures for you if I can get my hand on enough film. :D The good news is that we're bringing our digital camera & our laptop with us, but the bad news is there's something my stepdad wants to take pictures of later in the day, so we might have to load the Dallas pics while in the car. Fun, huh? So you're looking for the men on the stairs, or for a man behind the fence?

EDIT: George, thanks SO much for that map, that's WONDERFUL, I appreciate it soooo much!

Steve: Thanks again! The last I heard, they were refurbishing the Texas Theater due to it's historical significance.

Edited by Nic Martin

The last I heard, they were refurbishing the Texas Theater due to it's historical significance.

Nic,

I think they tore down the Texas Theater. Someone was selling chunks of it on eBay a few weeks ago.

As for maps, try http://www.mapquest.com/main.adp

You can type in an address, get a map and directions from a starting point you choose. I use it all the time. I just tried 411 Elm St(the TSBD) as a starting point, and 231 W. Jefferson(Texas Theater) as a destination and got this:

1: Start out going SOUTHWEST on ELM ST toward N HOUSTON ST. 0.1 miles

2: ELM ST becomes COMMERCE ST. <0.1 miles

3: Merge onto I-35E S/US-77 S. 3.0 miles

4: Take EXIT 425B toward BECKLEY AVE/12TH ST. 0.1 miles

5: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto S RL THORNTON FWY. <0.1 miles

6: S RL THORNTON FWY becomes W 12TH ST. <0.1 miles

7: Turn RIGHT onto S ZANG BLVD/TX-354 LOOP N. 0.1 miles

8: Turn LEFT onto W JEFFERSON BLVD. <0.1 miles

9: End at 231 W Jefferson Blvd, Dallas, TX 75208-4510 US

You may also want to stop at the Sixth Floor Museum. I'm sure Gary would like to meet you, and would give you directions.

RJS

Edited by Richard J. Smith

Thanks Richard. :D And, according to the Dallas City Hall website, the Texas Theater still stands:

http://www.dallascityhall.com/dallas/eng/h...as_theater.html

And, this news article talks about the restoration after a fire in '95:

http://wirelessreview.com/ar/marketing_fea...rrest_breathes/

Ah yes...http://www.texas-theatre.org/

The guy who was selling chunks of the theater on eBay must have got them from the renovation.

Richard,

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Texas Theater part of a chain of cinemas owned by Howard Hughes?

James

I didn't know that. I once ran across a reference to the Cabana Motel being built with Central States Teamster Pension Funds.

There is an FBI document entitled, "Hoffa, James. Dallas, Cabana Hotel"

FBI document # HQ-0630006727

And I went, "Whoa"

This document is not part of the National Archives, JFK collection, so aperson would have to do a FOI request from the FBI to see it.

Steve Thomas

• 1 year later...

Nic,

I was over there a few weeks ago, and I am sure other directions you have received would suffice, but this is my prefered route when I go down there (I do it the same way each time now). I will give you these directions and they should be easy to follow with any map you may acquire.

From the TSBD at Houston and Elm:

- go South on Houston and this will take you directly onto the Houston St. viaduct

- Follow this across the viaduct and you will come to a split in the road. (allegedly the location Tippitt was at as he was watching vehicles coming off the viaduct)..one way is Marsalis, the other is Zangs

- Take Zangs and soon you will see Beckley

- Turn left on Beckley and right after you turn onto Beckley, there is 1026 Beckley, Oswald's rooming house

- You can follow Beckley all the way down to Jefferson (Lot's of cross streets and stop lights on the way) and make a right

- Once you've turned right on Jefferson, you will go through a couple intersections and the Texas Theater is on your right hand side.

Side Note: While traveling down Beckley, you can turn left at Ninth street and then make your next right to 10th St. Turn left on 10 St. and follow down to Patton. It is still wild for me to go down there and think there is so much mystery surrounding this area. 10th & Patton is somewhat barren right at the intersection now, as it appears some houses have been torn down.

IMPORTANT: This area is not the safest of areas these days, so I implore you not to go down there alone or get caught up in a vulnerable position. Most folks are pretty nice, but as you will see, there is now ALOT of crime in this area. Just wanted to mention this so you'll be prepared.

Hi Nic,

Im not sure how much time you will be have in Dallas but if you don't know where some of the sights are have you thought of taking a tour? I know Jerry Dealey who does tours of Dallas and the JFK sites. I've been on one twice and it's was brilliant because he tailors the tour to wherever you want to go. I did most of the sites, tippit, oswald's old houses, the old dallas PD, Parkland Hospital, rebird airport, tippit, oswald and rose charamie's grave, even Jack Ruby's old appartment. I think the price depends on how many people go - I think he does individual as well as group tours. I paid about $40 for the whole day which I thought was brilliant (especially since I know that in London, you'd probably be charged that for tour lasting only a couple of hours!)

His website is here if you're interested:

http://users2.ev1.net/~MickeyD/tours00.htm

regards

Francesca