John Simkin Posted February 1, 2005 Share Posted February 1, 2005 The government and the Conservative Party both published new proposals to deal with discipline today. Ruth Kelly said in a radio interview that she was announcing that this admissions policy "need not apply to excluded pupils until schools are confident that they have got the necessary facilities in place to deal with these pupils". Kelly said the principle would apply only after local partnerships had been formed and had agreed specialist provision to cope with such children. She is giving schools an extra year to begin that process. Her predecessor, Charles Clarke, had wanted every head teacher to have arrangements in place by September. The Shadow Education Secretary Tim Collins, said Ms Kelly's announcement was "a breathtakingly cynical ploy.” He added: “Ministers will still force schools to take disruptive pupils - guaranteeing a thug in every playground - but shamelessly hope to get some credit by postponing this daft and dangerous idea until September 2007." Collins announced his own five-point plan on discipline: • scrap independent appeals panels • give heads the right to require that enforceable home-school contracts are a condition of attendance at their schools • scrap the idea of schools being forced to take a share of disruptive pupils • give teachers a guarantee of anonymity until a criminal charge is brought if accused of abuse • fund more schools for expelled pupils and expand CCTV, random drug-testing and metal detectors. What do you think is the best way of dealing with disruptive pupils? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now