The Education Forum

William Greer and JFK

Bernice wrote (quoting from Vince Palamara):

2) MARTY UNDERWOOD- DNC ADVANCE MAN for Houston and Austin---adamantly against choice of route. Heard rumors of impending assassination---received confirmation of plot from CIA Officer Win Scott shortly after assassination (out of the loop)!;

I understand Scott told Underwood that Cuban intelligence did it and that Fabian Escalante was in Dallas. Am I correct that this is what Scott told Underwood?

Edited by Tim Gratz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seymour Weitzman played a key role more than once on November 22, 1963. Not only was he one of the two officers who found a rifle on the 6th floor (both of them signing sworn affidavits that it was a German Mauser), he encountered the aforementioned SS agent, and also found a piece of skull, which apparently belonged to JFK. I have always wondered why he wasn't interviewed in the years following the assassination. We do know that he had some kind of mental problems later, and was institutionalized. You can still access online (sorry, don't have the url) the HSCA report on him, as well as a long interview with a psychiatrist who treated him. According to these reports, Weitzman talked often about all the people who had died that had connections to the assassination, and definitely believed there was a conspiracy.

According to the best witness(IMO) on the 6th floor after the shooting, Weitzman wasn't even there. Tom Alyea of WFAA has always been critical of the DPD's handling of evidence that afternoon, but he was there when the rifle was found, and it was not a Mauser. IMO Weitzman's affidavit was made after he heard all the speculation that took place, ie, "looks like a Mauser". Many researchers have also accredited Weitzman with being a firearms expert, although he simply worked in a sporting goods store for awhile. He actually spent years in the ladies garment business, which was where his expertise was.

If the second officer is Roger Craig, he changed his story so often he cannot be considered a credible witness regarding the rifle. During an interview with the LA Free Press in 1968, Penn Jones(who was with Craig) had to keep correcting him because he made so many misstatements. And Craig was never close enough to the rifle(by his own admission) to read MAUSER stamped on the rifle.

I suggest if anyone is interested, do a search on Tom Alyea. A good starting point would be Allan Eaglesham's excellent site:

www.manuscriptservice.com

RJS

Seymour Weitzman played a key role more than once on November 22, 1963. Not only was he one of the two officers who found a rifle on the 6th floor (both of them signing sworn affidavits that it was a German Mauser), he encountered the aforementioned SS agent, and also found a piece of skull, which apparently belonged to JFK. I have always wondered why he wasn't interviewed in the years following the assassination. We do know that he had some kind of mental problems later, and was institutionalized. You can still access online (sorry, don't have the url) the HSCA report on him, as well as a long interview with a psychiatrist who treated him. According to these reports, Weitzman talked often about all the people who had died that had connections to the assassination, and definitely believed there was a conspiracy.

According to the best witness(IMO) on the 6th floor after the shooting, Weitzman wasn't even there. Tom Alyea of WFAA has always been critical of the DPD's handling of evidence that afternoon, but he was there when the rifle was found, and it was not a Mauser. IMO Weitzman's affidavit was made after he heard all the speculation that took place, ie, "looks like a Mauser". Many researchers have also accredited Weitzman with being a firearms expert, although he simply worked in a sporting goods store for awhile. He actually spent years in the ladies garment business, which was where his expertise was.

If the second officer is Roger Craig, he changed his story so often he cannot be considered a credible witness regarding the rifle. During an interview with the LA Free Press in 1968, Penn Jones(who was with Craig) had to keep correcting him because he made so many misstatements. And Craig was never close enough to the rifle(by his own admission) to read MAUSER stamped on the rifle.

I suggest if anyone is interested, do a search on Tom Alyea. A good starting point would be Allan Eaglesham's excellent site:

RJS

Richard,

The second officer who signed a sworn affidavit identifying the rifle as a mauser was Eugene Boone. I know your opinion of Craig, and I don't share it. Yes, he did embellish things over the years, but IMHO on the day of the assassination, he was just about the only member of Dallas law enforcement who was trying to do a great job. Certainly, his initial report about seeing a man resembling Oswald running down the slope of the knoll to a Rambler station wagon was coroborated by at least two other witnesses. He's a lot more credible, in my book, than the best witnesss the Warren Commission ever produced. As for Tom Alyea, after all these years, I believe he still thinks Oswald did it. Sorry, but in my book, anyone with any knowledge of the assassination who believes the official fairy tale has zero credibility.

Last 10 Posts [ In reverse order ]

Don Jeffries Posted Today, 01:11 PM

QUOTE(Richard J. Smith @ Feb 10 2005, 01:37 PM)

QUOTE(Don Jeffries @ Feb 9 2005, 01:53 PM)

RJS

Richard,

The second officer who signed a sworn affidavit identifying the rifle as a mauser was Eugene Boone. I know your opinion of Craig, and I don't share it. Yes, he did embellish things over the years, but IMHO on the day of the assassination, he was just about the only member of Dallas law enforcement who was trying to do a great job. Certainly, his initial report about seeing a man resembling Oswald running down the slope of the knoll to a Rambler station wagon was coroborated by at least two other witnesses. He's a lot more credible, in my book, than the best witnesss the Warren Commission ever produced. As for Tom Alyea, after all these years, I believe he still thinks Oswald did it. Sorry, but in my book, anyone with any knowledge of the assassination who believes the official fairy tale has zero credibility.

I'll second Mr. Jeffries' last post quoted above.

Besides, I've been to www.manuscriptservice.com it has some useful information, but I can't say it's in my favorites list on my "Internet Explorer".

Hi James,

Thanks, Steve.

Well that is fascinating to say the least.

This next one is facinating to me as well:

Following the assassination, Detectives Richard M. Sims and Elmer L. Boyd of the Homicide and Robbery Bureau filed a joint after-action report with Police Chief Jesse Curry. They were on the sixth floor when the rifle was found. As part of their report, they wrote, “Detective Studebaker and Lieutenant Day took pictures of the rifle. Mr. Pinkston of the F.B.I. and a Secret Service Agent were there at the time the pictures were being made. We don’t know the Secret Service agent’s name. "

Steve Thomas

Hi James,
Thanks, Steve.

Well that is fascinating to say the least.

Following the assassination, Detectives Richard M. Sims and Elmer L. Boyd of the Homicide and Robbery Bureau filed a joint after-action report with Police Chief Jesse Curry. They were on the sixth floor when the rifle was found. As part of their report, they wrote, “Detective Studebaker and Lieutenant Day took pictures of the rifle. Mr. Pinkston of the F.B.I. and a Secret Service Agent were there at the time the pictures were being made. We don’t know the Secret Service agent’s name. "

Steve Thomas

I don't know why, but my reply to James made it into the Forum, but not into the queue of messages.

I suspect that Weitzman is no longer with us. In a 25-page HSCA deposition in 1978 Dr. Charles Laburda described the hospitalized Weitzman as a chronic schizophrenic. He also suggested that Weitzman identified the Barker photo so that the person with the photo would be happy and go away.

The report is on Denis's website:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senat...0208_Part1.html

I forgot that on Denis's site there is also an HSCA report of an interview of Weitzman himself:

http://iquebec.ifrance.com/Assassinat/Misc...0088-10083.html

Ron

Following the assassination, Detectives Richard M. Sims and Elmer L. Boyd of the Homicide and Robbery Bureau filed a joint after-action report with Police Chief Jesse Curry. They were on the sixth floor when the rifle was found. As part of their report, they wrote, “Detective Studebaker and Lieutenant Day took pictures of the rifle. Mr. Pinkston of the F.B.I. and a Secret Service Agent were there at the time the pictures were being made. We don’t know the Secret Service agent’s name. " (Steve Thomas)

Steve,

Talk about a thunderbolt. Secret Service agent being present? Studebaker and Day taking pictures. WOW!

Do you know if this FBI guy Pinkston was ever questioned or confirmed what happened?

James

Richard,

I know your opinion of Craig, and I don't share it. Yes, he did embellish things over the years, but IMHO on the day of the assassination, he was just about the only member of Dallas law enforcement who was trying to do a great job. Certainly, his initial report about seeing a man resembling Oswald running down the slope of the knoll to a Rambler station wagon was coroborated by at least two other witnesses. He's a lot more credible, in my book, than the best witnesss the Warren Commission ever produced. As for Tom Alyea, after all these years, I believe he still thinks Oswald did it. Sorry, but in my book, anyone with any knowledge of the assassination who believes the official fairy tale has zero credibility.

Don,

How's this for credibility regarding the Rambler plates:

Craig, WC testimony:

Mr. BELIN - Did it have a Texas license plate, or not?

Mr. CRAIG - It had the same color. I couldn't see the--uh--name with the numbers on it. I could just barely make them out. They were at an angle where I couldn't make the numbers of the--uh--any of the writing on it. But---uh---I'm sure it was a Texas plate.

Craig, Shaw trial testimony:

Q: Can you describe the station wagon in any great detail?

A: It was a light green Rambler station wagon with the luggage rack on the back portion and it had out-of-state plates on it and the reason I know this is they were not the same color as ours and I couldn't read them because of the angle of the car and the traffic movement.

"Yes, he did embellish things over the years..."

Reliable witnesses don't change or embellish their stories. And yes, Alyea does believe LHO did the shooting. But he has always been consistent with the descriptions of the 6th floor, including the sniper's nest and the shell casings.

Roger Craig's Los Angeles Free Press interview in March 1968:

Free Press: Did you handle that rifle?

Craig: Yes, I did. I couldn't give its name because I don't know foreign rifles, I know it was foreign made, and you loaded it downward into a built-in clip. The ID man took it and ejected one live round from it. The scope was facing north, the bolt facing upwards and the trigger south. But there was another rifle, a Mauser, found up on the roof of the depository that afternoon.

FP: A Mauser on the roof? Who found it?

Penn Jones: I don't know who found it, but I do know that a police officer verified its existence.

In later years, however, Craig's account changed and he adopted the version that has the Mauser found on the 6th floor. In his book, Craig claims:

"Lt. Day inspected the rifle briefly, then handed it to Capt. Fritz who had a puzzled look on his face. Seymour Weitzman, a deputy constable, was standing beside me at the time. Weitzman was an expert on weapons. He had been in the sporting goods business for many years and was familiar with all domestic and foreign weapons. Capt. Fritz asked if anyone knew what kind of rifle it was. Weitzman asked to see it. After a close examination (much longer than Fritz or Day's examination) Weitzman declared that it was a 7.65 German Mauser. Fritz agreed with him. Apparently, someone at the Dallas Police Department also loses things but, at least, they are more conscientious. They did replace it — even if the replacement was made in a different country. (See Warren Report for Italian Mannlicher-Carcano 6.5 Caliber). "

So the Mauser on the roof, which Craig didn't claim to have seen, had become the Mauser on the 6th floor. A few years later, when he was interviewed for "Two Men in Dallas," Craig claimed to have viewed the rifle close-up and seen the notation "7.65 Mauser." In the Free Press interview, he claimed to have handled the rifle. In other statements, he says he did not, but Weitzman did.

Shaw trial testimony:

Q: While you were on the sixth floor and in your presence was any rifle found?

A: Yes.

Q: And did you personally find the rifle?

A: No, sir, I did not but I was about eight feet from the gentleman that found it.

Q: Did you ever get closer to the gentleman holding the rifle?

A: Yes, sir, I did.

Q: Approximately how far?

A: About one foot or one and a half foot. I was standing next to him.

Q: Do you recall the man who was there?

A: No, he was an ID man from the Dallas Police Department, however, he did not find the rifle, Eugene Boone, a Deputy Sheriff, he found the rifle.

Q: What do you mean an ID man?

A: An identification man from the Dallas Police Department.

Q: Approximately how long did you view the rifle at this time?

A: Just two or three minutes. They took it away immediately, they held it up by the strap and then took it away from there.

How about Craig's account of the Tippit shooting? If Tippit was shot substantially earlier than 1:15, it could not have been Lee Oswald who did it, since Oswald would not have had time to walk from his rooming house at 1026 North Beckley to the corner of 10th and Patton. In his book, Craig claims that Tippit had to have been shot before 1:06.

"At that exact moment [of the discovery of the rifle] an unknown Dallas police officer came running up the stairs and advised Capt. Fritz that a Dallas policeman had been shot in the Oak Cliff area. I instinctively looked at my watch. The time was 1:06 p.m. A token force of uniformed officers was left to keep the sixth floor secure and Fritz, Day, Boone, Mooney, Weitzman and I left the building."

The rifle was in fact found about 1:22 p.m. (7H109). Yet Craig describes the officer announcing the death of Tippit after the discovery of the rifle.

But another problem is the fact that this "1:06 p.m." account seems to be a late addition to his story. The Free Press interview:

Craig: Tippit went to Oak Cliff, and subsequently was killed. Why he went to Oak Cliff I can't tell you; I can only make an observation. He was going to meet somebody.

Free Press: Do you know what time he was killed?

Craig: It was about 1:40 —

Penn Jones: No, I think it was a little before 1:15.

Craig: Was it?

Jones: Yes

Craig: Oh, that's right. The broadcast was put out shortly after 1:15 on Tippit's killer, and it had not been put out yet on Oswald as the assassin of President Kennedy.

So Craig, rather than saying that he knew that Tippit had been killed before 1:06, estimates it was at 1:40 — and then accepts Penn Jones' correction that it was "a little before 1:15."

Pretty consistent witness. Take off the blinders, and look at all of Craig's statements, interviews, testimonies, and his book. We'd all sure like to believe him, but he is in no way a credible witness.

Richard,

I think we've been down this road before, but I'll repeat my position on Craig.

The fact that he was unsure about the license tag on the Rambler doesn't detract from the fact that he reported seeing a man resembling Oswald fleeing towards one right after the assassination. This initial report was confirmed byat least two other witnesses, all unconnected to one another, who reported seeing the same thing.

Craig's life was a nightmare after the assassination. Like many human beings would have done in the same situation, he probably came to believe he was a more important part of the story that day than he really was. The same thing might be said about Jean Hill, to a lesser extent. Still, I wouldn't dismiss either one of them out of hand. Craig would still have been a better witness for the defense than any witness the prosecution could have produced. We wouldn't have to depend on the faulty recollections and human frailties of this one deputy, if anyone else had been doing their job that day in Dallas.

Certainly the episode of Nigel Turner's The Men Who Killed Kennedy

is condemning of the Secret Service, for the loss of the evidentiary

windshield, for one thing. The one with the front to rear bullet hole in it.

Nigel Turner was airing the interview from Mr. Whitaker who had no reason to be anywhere near 100X after the assassination and whose statements represent one of numerous stories about the limo circulating because of the actual experiences of Vaughn Ferguson. There is no reason to believe the windshield in the Archives is not the one in the limousine during the assassination.

Pamela

Richard J. Smith Posted Yesterday, 10:55 PM

QUOTE(Don Jeffries @ Feb 10 2005, 01:11 PM)

Richard,

I know your opinion of Craig, and I don't share it. Yes, he did embellish things over the years, but IMHO on the day of the assassination, he was just about the only member of Dallas law enforcement who was trying to do a great job. Certainly, his initial report about seeing a man resembling Oswald running down the slope of the knoll to a Rambler station wagon was coroborated by at least two other witnesses. He's a lot more credible, in my book, than the best witnesss the Warren Commission ever produced. As for Tom Alyea, after all these years, I believe he still thinks Oswald did it. Sorry, but in my book, anyone with any knowledge of the assassination who believes the official fairy tale has zero credibility.

Don,

How's this for credibility regarding the Rambler plates:

Craig, WC testimony:

Mr. BELIN - Did it have a Texas license plate, or not?

Mr. CRAIG - It had the same color. I couldn't see the--uh--name with the numbers on it. I could just barely make them out. They were at an angle where I couldn't make the numbers of the--uh--any of the writing on it. But---uh---I'm sure it was a Texas plate.

Craig, Shaw trial testimony:

Q: Can you describe the station wagon in any great detail?

A: It was a light green Rambler station wagon with the luggage rack on the back portion and it had out-of-state plates on it and the reason I know this is they were not the same color as ours and I couldn't read them because of the angle of the car and the traffic movement.

"Yes, he did embellish things over the years..."

Reliable witnesses don't change or embellish their stories. And yes, Alyea does believe LHO did the shooting. But he has always been consistent with the descriptions of the 6th floor, including the sniper's nest and the shell casings.

Roger Craig's Los Angeles Free Press interview in March 1968:

Free Press: Did you handle that rifle?

Craig: Yes, I did. I couldn't give its name because I don't know foreign rifles, I know it was foreign made, and you loaded it downward into a built-in clip. The ID man took it and ejected one live round from it. The scope was facing north, the bolt facing upwards and the trigger south. But there was another rifle, a Mauser, found up on the roof of the depository that afternoon.

FP: A Mauser on the roof? Who found it?

Penn Jones: I don't know who found it, but I do know that a police officer verified its existence.

In later years, however, Craig's account changed and he adopted the version that has the Mauser found on the 6th floor. In his book, Craig claims:

"Lt. Day inspected the rifle briefly, then handed it to Capt. Fritz who had a puzzled look on his face. Seymour Weitzman, a deputy constable, was standing beside me at the time. Weitzman was an expert on weapons. He had been in the sporting goods business for many years and was familiar with all domestic and foreign weapons. Capt. Fritz asked if anyone knew what kind of rifle it was. Weitzman asked to see it. After a close examination (much longer than Fritz or Day's examination) Weitzman declared that it was a 7.65 German Mauser. Fritz agreed with him. Apparently, someone at the Dallas Police Department also loses things but, at least, they are more conscientious. They did replace it — even if the replacement was made in a different country. (See Warren Report for Italian Mannlicher-Carcano 6.5 Caliber). "

So the Mauser on the roof, which Craig didn't claim to have seen, had become the Mauser on the 6th floor. A few years later, when he was interviewed for "Two Men in Dallas," Craig claimed to have viewed the rifle close-up and seen the notation "7.65 Mauser." In the Free Press interview, he claimed to have handled the rifle. In other statements, he says he did not, but Weitzman did.

Shaw trial testimony:

Q: While you were on the sixth floor and in your presence was any rifle found?

A: Yes.

Q: And did you personally find the rifle?

A: No, sir, I did not but I was about eight feet from the gentleman that found it.

Q: Did you ever get closer to the gentleman holding the rifle?

A: Yes, sir, I did.

Q: Approximately how far?

A: About one foot or one and a half foot. I was standing next to him.

Q: Do you recall the man who was there?

A: No, he was an ID man from the Dallas Police Department, however, he did not find the rifle, Eugene Boone, a Deputy Sheriff, he found the rifle.

Q: What do you mean an ID man?

A: An identification man from the Dallas Police Department.

Q: Approximately how long did you view the rifle at this time?

A: Just two or three minutes. They took it away immediately, they held it up by the strap and then took it away from there.

How about Craig's account of the Tippit shooting? If Tippit was shot substantially earlier than 1:15, it could not have been Lee Oswald who did it, since Oswald would not have had time to walk from his rooming house at 1026 North Beckley to the corner of 10th and Patton. In his book, Craig claims that Tippit had to have been shot before 1:06.

"At that exact moment [of the discovery of the rifle] an unknown Dallas police officer came running up the stairs and advised Capt. Fritz that a Dallas policeman had been shot in the Oak Cliff area. I instinctively looked at my watch. The time was 1:06 p.m. A token force of uniformed officers was left to keep the sixth floor secure and Fritz, Day, Boone, Mooney, Weitzman and I left the building."

The rifle was in fact found about 1:22 p.m. (7H109). Yet Craig describes the officer announcing the death of Tippit after the discovery of the rifle.

But another problem is the fact that this "1:06 p.m." account seems to be a late addition to his story. The Free Press interview:

Craig: Tippit went to Oak Cliff, and subsequently was killed. Why he went to Oak Cliff I can't tell you; I can only make an observation. He was going to meet somebody.

Free Press: Do you know what time he was killed?

Craig: It was about 1:40 —

Penn Jones: No, I think it was a little before 1:15.

Craig: Was it?

Jones: Yes

Craig: Oh, that's right. The broadcast was put out shortly after 1:15 on Tippit's killer, and it had not been put out yet on Oswald as the assassin of President Kennedy.

So Craig, rather than saying that he knew that Tippit had been killed before 1:06, estimates it was at 1:40 — and then accepts Penn Jones' correction that it was "a little before 1:15."

Pretty consistent witness. Take off the blinders, and look at all of Craig's statements, interviews, testimonies, and his book. We'd all sure like to believe him, but he is in no way a credible witness.

Craig was no where near the Tippit killing when it occurred, how could he be a key witness to that event? On the other hand, his recollection of the delivery of the message to the TSBD and to Fritz regarding Tippit's death, could very well have occurred around 1:25 p.m. after the rifle was found. The confusion with the license plate is a good point, but doesn't change the fact that he witnessed a man resembling Oswald enter the Rambler driven by a latin looking man, nor the fact that several memebers of the police force identified the TSBD rifle as a Mauser.

James,

Do you know if this FBI guy Pinkston was ever questioned or confirmed what happened?

He testified before the WC, but only about examining Oswald's Clipboard in December.

Looks like he filed a report with Gordon Shanklin on his activities on November 22nd. From the National Archives:

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : FBI

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10027-10331

RECORDS SERIES : DL

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 89-43-89

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : FBI

TO : SAC, DL

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 11/23/1963

PAGES : 2

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : EVID, FPT, PPT, RIFLE, CRIME SCENE DALLAS, PD, TSBD

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 10/26/1992

Steve Thomas

• 1 year later...

This all points to a domestic action by the agencies of Treasury, Intelliegence and the military.

If the President was struck down by US executive orders on the

pretext of incpacity and loss of security clearance...for "national security"

then this is exactly what we would have, inexplicably bad protection.

Negligence to the point of complicity.

Main points:

Knoll, Railyard, Overpass and TBSD windows...grossly unsecured.

Presidential Limousine Running Boards...standard...not available in Dallas.

Unusual slow detour into triangulated "arcade" of Dealey Plaza.

Motorcycles dropped back. No Presidential SS men near Kennedy.

Johnson and Jacqueline recieving better attention from SS than JFK.

Halting, near stoppage during 18 second barrage of gunfire.

5 to 10 mile an hour pace at beginning of barrage, slow to walking speed

or nearly halted, brake lights on

(downhill-gravity and transmission would have pushed them faster at 20-30 mph coasting)

Lack of security for blood, tissue, ballistic fragments and window glass indicating

ballistic activity....

This is just a thumbnail from memory....the Twenty Fifth Amendment

would technically serve to exonerate Johnson and Treasury Secretary

CD DILLON if this scheme were ever to be made public...

Coordinated government agency effort are very clear here, sad to say....

It could be said it was illegally based on the 25th Amendment. Problem is , the Amendment requires that it is brought to Congress , there is no provision for Regicide.

Edited by Peter McGuire