The Thresher Incident

Wade Rhodes

Ron wrote:

Can someone who knows Gordon Winslow (who Bill says has the microfilm of the court case) ask him how the story ended?

I received this reply from Mr. Winslow:

I never heard of this case before in my life. There are only a few trial transcripts I have on film and that one does not ring any bells

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron wrote:

Can someone who knows Gordon Winslow (who Bill says has the microfilm of the court case) ask him how the story ended?

I never heard of this case before in my life. There are only a few trial transcripts I have on film and that one does not ring any bells

Tim, It's a MICRO-FILM - or MICRO-FESH - reels that you feed into a screen - not a Movie film of the trial. The film of the JFK assassination is mentioned in the trial transcripts that's on the microfilm.

What I know is this: Ohio researcher Ken Forment told me he had acquired a microfilm or microfesh tapes of the Bray v. Bendix trial and did I know anyone with a machine to read it. When I suggested Jim Lesar and the Assassination Archives and Research Center in DC, he replied that he had sent it to Gordon Winslow in Florida. Formet's name and address is in some of Winslow's old Researcher Directories.

I haven't been in contact with Formet in years, but will ask Lesar if he has any knowledge of what became of Formet's microfilm.

Also, this is why we need to reinforce the efforts of people like Prof. McKnight and Hood College and other independent archives, like AARC to save and preserve such records.

Below, my notes on all of this from years ago, and haven't worked on it since.

BK

KEYWORD:SUBMARINES

Submarine Serials

1) Clay Shaw wrote a play called “Submerged,” about men trapped in a sunken submarine.

2) George DeMohrenschildt introduced Lee Harvey Oswald to retired U.S. Navy admiral Chester Bruton, a former nuclear submarine commander and administrator at Collins Radio where he was working on a new communications system for the submarine fleet.

3) George DeMohrenschildt, while living in Washington D.C. during World War II, roomed with a naval officer (Hall) who became the commander of the U.S. Thresher, though he was not with the ship when it went down during sea trials on :

4) April 10, 1963, the day Lee Harvey Oswald is accused of taking a pot shot at retired General Edwin Walker.

5) “A team of scientists was asked to help test the USS Thresher (SSN-593), the first of a powerful new class of nuclear attack submarines designed to go somewhat deeper than the other subs of the day. On April 10, 1963, Thresher failed during a test dive to 1,300 feet. As best as anyone could tell, a piping failure and a subsequent loss of propulsion set off a series of events that caused the submarine to sink, killing all 128 men aboard,….In the wake of Thresher, the Navy promised a massive effort to learn about unforgiving ocean depths. There would be a ‘Safe Sub’ program. There would be ‘Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicles.” – p. 68 “Blind Man’s Bluff – The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage” by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew. ( 1998, Harper).

6) “The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, with the Office of Naval Research, was designing the ALVIN, a three-man submersible that could go down 6,000 feet….A Naval Intelligence officer….helped coordinate the submarine surveillance operations off the Soviet coasts. By now, those operations had been expanded to provide a year-round presence. Operating under the code name ‘Binnacle’ – later ‘Holystone’ – the Navy’s growing fleet of nuclear subs and diesels were keeping constant watch on the Soviets…In addition to these operations off the Soviet coast, some diesel subs carried Russian émigrés back to the Soviet Union to spy for the U.S.,…Submarine spying operations had become so important that the chief of Naval Operations in Washington had taken charge of coordinating all operations, and a special undersea warfare office had been set up within the Office of Naval Intelligence to plan them.” -p.70

7) Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is on the coast of Massachusetts, not far from if not adjacent to the private island owned by the family of Michael Paine’s mother Ruth Forbes Paine Young, and where Michael’s wife Ruth Hyde Paine visited during her summer vacation in August, 1963.

7) An employee of the defense contractor that made allegedly falty o-rings used aboard the Thresher, Edward Bray, was visited by five men who claimed to represent JFCOTT – Justice for the Crew of The Thresher. They threatened the life of former Secretary of the Navy John Connally, and Bray wrote a letter to Connally warning him of the threat.

8) The novel “The Parallax View,” made into a movie with Warren Beaty, is about a reporter who uncovers a professional assassins recruiting ring. While the movie ends at the Dallas Trade Mart, the book ends in a remote area of Cape May, N.J., where there was a Coast Guard Electronics Engineering Base that served as a cover for a secret Navy base used to communicate with the U.S. submarine fleet. Lee H. Oswald’s brother was stationed at the nearby Coast Guard training base.

9) Navy Lt. Commander T. Narut told a reporter for the London Sunday Times that the U.S.M.C. maintains teams of assassins at embassies abroad, men recruited from submarine crews and paratroopers.

10) General Dynamics, who builds most of the U.S. nuclear submarines at their New Bedford, Connecticut plant, also built a special fleet of small, fast and maneuverable speedboats for the CIA’s anti-Castro Cuban fleet. The same Nazi scientists who designed the first jet plane was brought into the U.S. via Project Paperclip and worked on the speed boat hull design as an employee of Collins Radio.

11) President LBJ replaced John McCone as director of the CIA with Navy Adml. William F. “Red” Raborn, who brought the Polaris submarine missile program together, on time and under budget.

12) Among the contents of the Rambler Station Wagon owned by UT professor Wing, was a Life Magazine article about the Thresher and the Woods Hole O.C.

Edited by William Kelly

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a copy of Norman Polmar's book "The Death of the USS Thresher - The Story Behind History's Deadlist Submarine Disaster" (The Lyons Press, Guilford, Connectucut), whose first skipper was Dean L. Axene.

If previous reports are correct, George DeMornschildt was a 40s era roomate of an officer - skipper? of the Thresher, named Hall. Richard C. Hall is listed as an Electroncs Technician.

As for Axene, he was orn in 1923, Naval Academy 1941, played football, graduated in accelerated courses in 1944, sub school at New London, Connecticuut, Pearl Harbor, USS Parche, MIT, USS Tiru, USS Sea Robin (June 52), met junior officer John Wesley Harvey, Rear Adml. Hyman G. RIckover, Atomic Energy Com. Bettis' Lab in Pittsburgh, Pa., Arco, Idaho, nuke programs, USS Nautilus (195), USS Croaker, US Sub School, New London, USS Thresher from April 1961-Jan. 1963, when he was replaced by J.W. Harvey.

I think this deserves being followed up on.

If Ron or someone who is in contact with Gordon Winslow will ask him again to look through his extensive archives for the MICROFILM or MICROFISH of the Bray v. Bendix court records, or if Ken Formet, Ohio JFK reseracher can be recontacted, or if the original court records can be located, it would be a great service by anyone with the time and inclination to do so.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@Yahoo.com

Edited by William Kelly

• 5 months later...

Ron wrote:

Tim, It's a MICRO-FILM - or MICRO-FESH - reels that you feed into a screen - not a Movie film of the trial. The film of the JFK assassination is mentioned in the trial transcripts that's on the microfilm.

What I know is this: Ohio researcher Ken Forment told me he had acquired a microfilm or microfesh tapes of the Bray v. Bendix trial and did I know anyone with a machine to read it. When I suggested Jim Lesar and the Assassination Archives and Research Center in DC, he replied that he had sent it to Gordon Winslow in Florida. Formet's name and address is in some of Winslow's old Researcher Directories.

I haven't been in contact with Formet in years, but will ask Lesar if he has any knowledge of what became of Formet's microfilm.

Also, this is why we need to reinforce the efforts of people like Prof. McKnight and Hood College and other independent archives, like AARC to save and preserve such records.

Below, my notes on all of this from years ago, and haven't worked on it since.

BK

KEYWORD:SUBMARINES

Submarine Serials

1) Clay Shaw wrote a play called “Submerged,” about men trapped in a sunken submarine.

Bill, this may not be as relevant as it looks. Clay co-wrote the play in high school.

At Warren Easton High School, Shaw's one-act play "Submerged," which he wrote with a classmate, won a state playwriting contest. Seventy-five years later, it was still being produced by high school drama clubs.

Clay Shaw

2) George DeMohrenschildt introduced Lee Harvey Oswald to retired U.S. Navy admiral Chester Bruton, a former nuclear submarine commander and administrator at Collins Radio where he was working on a new communications system for the submarine fleet.

3) George DeMohrenschildt, while living in Washington D.C. during World War II, roomed with a naval officer (Hall) who became the commander of the U.S. Thresher, though he was not with the ship when it went down during sea trials on :

4) April 10, 1963, the day Lee Harvey Oswald is accused of taking a pot shot at retired General Edwin Walker.

Which apparently pissed Walker off as it kept his assassination charade off the front pages in Texas.

5) “A team of scientists was asked to help test the USS Thresher (SSN-593), the first of a powerful new class of nuclear attack submarines designed to go somewhat deeper than the other subs of the day. On April 10, 1963, Thresher failed during a test dive to 1,300 feet. As best as anyone could tell, a piping failure and a subsequent loss of propulsion set off a series of events that caused the submarine to sink, killing all 128 men aboard,….In the wake of Thresher, the Navy promised a massive effort to learn about unforgiving ocean depths. There would be a ‘Safe Sub’ program. There would be ‘Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicles.” – p. 68 “Blind Man’s Bluff – The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage” by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew. ( 1998, Harper).

6) “The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, with the Office of Naval Research, was designing the ALVIN, a three-man submersible that could go down 6,000 feet….A Naval Intelligence officer….helped coordinate the submarine surveillance operations off the Soviet coasts. By now, those operations had been expanded to provide a year-round presence. Operating under the code name ‘Binnacle’ – later ‘Holystone’ – the Navy’s growing fleet of nuclear subs and diesels were keeping constant watch on the Soviets…In addition to these operations off the Soviet coast, some diesel subs carried Russian émigrés back to the Soviet Union to spy for the U.S.,…Submarine spying operations had become so important that the chief of Naval Operations in Washington had taken charge of coordinating all operations, and a special undersea warfare office had been set up within the Office of Naval Intelligence to plan them.” -p.70

From the CV of Shaw friend, William Kloepfer...

PRIOR TO 1978 - 23 years in engineering of which 12 years were with

engineering management responsibilities. Very successful in

development/mgt of technology, and the winning of proposals for

securing new business in the listed employment positions:

o Aerojet PROJECT MGR in Satellite Laser Comm Electro/Optics-35 supvsd

o Chrysler Corp PROJECT MGR in Adv Electronics & Space Optics-12 supvsd

o Cryometric Co., CHIEF ENGR in Cryogenic Instrumentation Dev-5 supvsd

o General Dynamics, SYSTEM ENGR in Instrumentation Design

o U.S. Naval Ordnance Test Station, SYSTEM ENGR in Undersea Warfare

7) Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is on the coast of Massachusetts, not far from if not adjacent to the private island owned by the family of Michael Paine’s mother Ruth Forbes Paine Young, and where Michael’s wife Ruth Hyde Paine visited during her summer vacation in August, 1963.

7) An employee of the defense contractor that made allegedly falty o-rings used aboard the Thresher, Edward Bray, was visited by five men who claimed to represent JFCOTT – Justice for the Crew of The Thresher. They threatened the life of former Secretary of the Navy John Connally, and Bray wrote a letter to Connally warning him of the threat.

I've only found reference to one member of JFCOTT: HC Hill...

"Gentlemen, I trust Mr Hill has furnished you with photos taken by someone of his organization..."

Bray letter

and... "HC Hill and the others who planned the assassination..."

Bray letter 2

8) The novel “The Parallax View,” made into a movie with Warren Beaty, is about a reporter who uncovers a professional assassins recruiting ring. While the movie ends at the Dallas Trade Mart, the book ends in a remote area of Cape May, N.J., where there was a Coast Guard Electronics Engineering Base that served as a cover for a secret Navy base used to communicate with the U.S. submarine fleet. Lee H. Oswald’s brother was stationed at the nearby Coast Guard training base.

9) Navy Lt. Commander T. Narut told a reporter for the London Sunday Times that the U.S.M.C. maintains teams of assassins at embassies abroad, men recruited from submarine crews and paratroopers.

10) General Dynamics, who builds most of the U.S. nuclear submarines at their New Bedford, Connecticut plant, also built a special fleet of small, fast and maneuverable speedboats for the CIA’s anti-Castro Cuban fleet. The same Nazi scientists who designed the first jet plane was brought into the U.S. via Project Paperclip and worked on the speed boat hull design as an employee of Collins Radio.

See Kloepfer CV above...

11) President LBJ replaced John McCone as director of the CIA with Navy Adml. William F. “Red” Raborn, who brought the Polaris submarine missile program together, on time and under budget.

12) Among the contents of the Rambler Station Wagon owned by UT professor Wing, was a Life Magazine article about the Thresher and the Woods Hole O.C.

FWIW, after reviewing Bray's letters, I tend to agree with the FBI about Bray's mental state. My feeling is he was a disgruntled employee with personality or psychiatric problems used to spread a story designed as a kind of backstop.

Any clues on who "HC Hill" is?

If previous reports are correct, George DeMornschildt was a 40s era roomate of an officer - skipper? of the Thresher, named Hall. Richard C. Hall is listed as an Electroncs Technician.

As for Axene, he was orn in 1923, Naval Academy 1941, played football, graduated in accelerated courses in 1944, sub school at New London, Connecticuut, Pearl Harbor, USS Parche, MIT, USS Tiru, USS Sea Robin (June 52), met junior officer John Wesley Harvey, Rear Adml. Hyman G. RIckover, Atomic Energy Com. Bettis' Lab in Pittsburgh, Pa., Arco, Idaho, nuke programs, USS Nautilus (195), USS Croaker, US Sub School, New London, USS Thresher from April 1961-Jan. 1963, when he was replaced by J.W. Harvey. (Bill Kelly)

Bill,

A man named Richard C. Hall was listed as one of the men who went down with the Thresher. Also, the J.W. Harvey mentioned, could that be John W. Harvey? He was also listed as going down with the sub.

James

9) Navy Lt. Commander T. Narut told a reporter for the London Sunday Times that the U.S.M.C. maintains teams of assassins at embassies abroad, men recruited from submarine crews and paratroopers. (Bill Kelly)

That's an interesting one, Bill.

Thomas Narut was the Navy Psychologist at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Naples, Italy. He later tried to deny he said such a thing but reporter Peter Watson stood by his report.

Sidebar: Watson was the one who interviewed Jose Fanjul about his family's exit from Cuba. They were Batista supporters and feared they would be on Fidel's hit list. The Fanjul family now owns one of the three largest sugar companies in the world with plantations in Florida and the Dominican Republic. Jose Fanjul is an honored Bush family fundraiser and benefactor. There have been suggestions that the Fanjuls were also behind some sizeable contributions to anti-Castro activity.

FWIW.

James

Guest John Woods
9) Navy Lt. Commander T. Narut told a reporter for the London Sunday Times that the U.S.M.C. maintains teams of assassins at embassies abroad, men recruited from submarine crews and paratroopers. (Bill Kelly)

That's an interesting one, Bill.

Thomas Narut was the Navy Psychologist at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Naples, Italy. He later tried to deny he said such a thing but reporter Peter Watson stood by his report.

Sidebar: Watson was the one who interviewed Jose Fanjul about his family's exit from Cuba. They were Batista supporters and feared they would be on Fidel's hit list. The Fanjul family now owns one of the three largest sugar companies in the world with plantations in Florida and the Dominican Republic. Jose Fanjul is an honored Bush family fundraiser and benefactor. There have been suggestions that the Fanjuls were also behind some sizeable contributions to anti-Castro activity.

FWIW.

James

For what it is worth, I recall reading about a film that was shown back in New York

city of the assassination taken from behind the motorcade. This film was televised

by a local television station and never aired again. john w

Guest John Woods
Yes, that's right, John.

There was another one shot from across the Plaza, opposite to Zapruder's position but from a building. I'm not sure of the names of the buildings there at the time. It was a wide angle of the motorcade.

James

You are correct Sensui. That would be the Post Office building following the aftermath

of the assassination. Robert Hughes exposed some footage of downtown Dallas from

a rooftop but I'm not too sure if its from the same rooftop. It has been a long time

since I viewed any film footage.

john w

Bell panned back and forth up and down over this area. If you look at lines on buildings both from here and from the tsbd. it looks like he may have been filming from Harry's office.

Guest John Woods
Bell panned back and forth up and down over this area. If you look at lines on buildings both from here and from the tsbd. it looks like he may have been filming from Harry's office.

Outstanding image! Thanks for posting!

john w

BK
A man named Richard C. Hall was listed as one of the men who went down with the Thresher. Also, the J.W. Harvey mentioned, could that be John W. Harvey? He was also listed as going down with the sub.
JR

The source of the confusion is that DeM's room-mate was named Hull (Harry)... not Hall.

From the HSCA report:

In October 1942 the FBI interviewed the man who rented the Benton Street house, Paul Joachim. Joachim told the FBI that he was employed at the time in the Navy building.(209) The other occupants of the house were Lt. Cdr. Harry Hull of the U.S. Navy, and Quinton Quines, who Joachim said worked at the British Embassy.(210) Joachim said de Mohrenschildt lived at the house during the end of May and all of June 1942.(211) He said de Mohrenschildt never make any statements about feelings toward any country, and no statements which were pro-Nazi.

Hull wrote an article about the Thresher for a Naval history magazine...

Guerrilla Mission Under the Sea

By Rear Admiral Harry Hull, U.S. Navy (Retired)

In reality, "stewards" in the submarine Thresher are Philippines guerrillas.

Naval History

Unfortunately, the article itself is not available online.

Speaking of mispelt names... the other DeM room-mate listed is Quentin Keynes -- not Quintin Quines as the HSCA has spelt it.

Keynes was the great-grand son of Charles Darwin (one of Oswald's 3 favorite authors according to his Albert Schweitzer College application). Also a nephew to John Maynard Keynes.

Quentin Keynes

DeM sure got close to some remarkable characters. Hopefully more on that soon...

Edited by Greg Parker

• 6 months later...
BK
JR

The source of the confusion is that DeM's room-mate was named Hull (Harry)... not Hall.

From the HSCA report:

In October 1942 the FBI interviewed the man who rented the Benton Street house, Paul Joachim. Joachim told the FBI that he was employed at the time in the Navy building.(209) The other occupants of the house were Lt. Cdr. Harry Hull of the U.S. Navy, and Quinton Quines, who Joachim said worked at the British Embassy.(210) Joachim said de Mohrenschildt lived at the house during the end of May and all of June 1942.(211) He said de Mohrenschildt never make any statements about feelings toward any country, and no statements which were pro-Nazi.

Naval History

Speaking of mispelt names... the other DeM room-mate listed is Quentin Keynes -- not Quintin Quines as the HSCA has spelt it.

Keynes was the great-grand son of Charles Darwin (one of Oswald's 3 favorite authors according to his Albert Schweitzer College application). Also a nephew to John Maynard Keynes.

Quentin Keynes

DeM sure got close to some remarkable characters. Hopefully more on that soon...

Has anyone ever determined whether Mr. Charles Bray was related to Edward Bray? Mrs. Charles Stella Bray nee Kalifia Stella Bray, aka Yum Yum was an exotic dancer who worked at one time at the Carousel Club, and although she "was of Syrian extraction" I think there might be something of interest, in all of this.

There was a Charles Bray who according to the HSCA:

In April or May of 1960 Irwin Weiner reportedly made a trip to Havana with Allen Dorfmann, Charles Bray and Stewart Hopps to "set up various agency and company relationships."......

HSCA Report, Volume IX pg 1042 Appendix Volumes

In Joe Backes 13th Batch Files there is the following:

Document # 124-10081-10324 Is a four page report from SAC, Cleveland to Director dated 12/30/63. Only two pages are here, and those two copies of one page. So, it may really be only a two page report.

PCI Ernest L. Nemeth, who has furnished reliable information in the past, on December 11 last related that he recently met a girl in a bar in the theatrical section of Cleveland who during course of conversation mentioned she once worked for Jack Ruby in Dallas. PCI only knew her as "Yum-Yum" and believed she is an exotic dancer of Syrian extraction. "Yum-Yum" was identified as [sic, "and"] subsequently interviewed instant date.

Stella Bray, Nee Kalifia, also known as Mrs. Charles Bray, The Village Apartments, Cleveland, Ohio, is a stripper who uses the professional name, "Yum-Yum". On instant date she related that during summer 1956 she had a three month engagement at Jack Ruby's.

(The rest is missing and presumably on page two)

END

See

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_i...ue/arrb_13.html

Below is from maryferrell.org

BRAY, STELLA (NEE KALIFIA) (MRS. CHARLES BRAY)

Sources: WC Vol. 23 (141); CE 1670; CD 247 (1-3)

Mary's Comments:She danced at Carousel for Ruby in 1956. Danced as "Yum Yum"

CORBELLI, TOM -----

Sources: -----

Mary's Comments: American, 35 to 40 years old. Interior Decorator. Designed interior of missing nuclear submarine Thresher. See: "Edward F. Bray" for references.

Edited by Robert Howard

• 4 months later...

Not to divert from the thread, but....some researchers are no doubt familiar with Operation Red Cross. There are allegations that this 'operation' was a plot designed to embarrass, [to say the least] the Kennedy administration by revealing that the offensive missiles placed in Cuba, resulting in the Cuban Missile Crisis, had not been fully removed. As I understand the story, some of the same groups & individuals mentioned as possibly being involved in the JFK assassination were directly linked to Operation Red Cross. The ultimate goal of Operation Red Cross was to create such a scandal that the ensuing political fallout would force JFK to resign........

The salient point being. were the circumstances which developed in the aftermath of the loss of the Thresher, considered by those sympathetic to the JFCOTT allegations as a potential....Operation Red Cross type of scenario, that was subsequently jettisoned, after 11/22/63? Just a thought.....

• 1 year later...
BK

WIth the secret collision of a UK and French subs at sea, I thought I'd bring this thread back to see if there's any more interest in the submariner connections to JFK assassination.

BK

JR

From the HSCA report:

Naval History

Quentin Keynes