The Education Forum

Who was Saul?

Tim Gratz

Gary, it's pretty clear that QK/Enchant was a Domestic Contacts program to

obtain foreign intelligence. I just ran across yet another individual who had been investigated for the program and that was the terminology used. It appears to have been a project to identify and obtain information from individuals who had contact with international business people and possibly scientists. Basic data collection within the U.S. on foreign intelligence. When I say Domestic Contacts, that would have been the CIA office with such interests circa 1963 but there were precursor departments with different names who had the same interest and responsiblity for the project.

Which explains why both Clay Shaw and the L.A. International trade mart fellow (whose name escapes me) were used as sources.

-- Larry

“In June 1969 Central Cover Staff evidenced interest

in Mr. McDonald under Project QKENCHANT. Commencing in

January 1970 Mr. McDonald initiated meetings with the

Domestic Contact Service suggesting that his firm,

World Associates, Inc., soon to be involved

internationally in bank security, do not reflect the

outcome of the Domestic Contact Service and the

Central Cover Staff interests.”

Does this paragraph make sense? Is there a sentence missing? Broken down it says he met with them and told them his firm does not reflect the outcome of the DCS' interests. If it means he told them his firm is not to co-operate with the DCS, why not just say so?

Oops! It does look like there is a missing sentence there. I will try to dig up the document and post a correction. I have been trying to figure out just what QK/Enchant was.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The log from the base that covered the Soviet embassy identifies the Mystery Man with the initials "UAM".Assuming this means Unidentified American man,because there are others identified as UMM(Unidentified Mexican man) and UMW (Unidentified Mexican woman),how would an observer know this was an American? The surveillance bases were manned by Mexican contract agents who didn't have access to LIENVOY phone tap information.

Interesting photos, Robin.

As you know, Hemming says it was Mario Tauler Sague and further states that Sague was involved in the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. It sure would be interesting to try to research whether the FBI ever investigated Sague and the latest information on what happened to Sague.

Robin,

We talked about the UAM on another thread and I asked if you could tell from the photos whether the UAM was fully inside the Soviet premises or just at the gate on Mexican soil. If he was really well inside the Soviet embassy he probably wasnt' a US asset, but if he was posing around the gate he could have been a US asset.

This last photo above shows him enclosed by the gate (inside Soviet diplomatic grounds)....do you think the pictures prove he was on soviet diplomatic turf?

I think the reason he is unidentified is because he is a burly random Russian.

He looks nothing like Lee Harvey Oswald, & so its a frame, pure and simple, a patsy frame.

Robin. Yes, interesting photos. I've never seen the one that looks like the Mystery Man from the rear. This was not one that was published in the Warren Report. What is the source of these unpublished photos?

Speaking of the Mystery Man, does anyone know anything about one Ralph N. Geb? He's been proposed by some as the Mystery Man. All I know is that Geb attended Woodrow Wilson High School, the same school that Mac Wallace and John Thomas Masen attended. Must have been some school!

The photographs are from Record No. 104-10413-10094,part of the Russ Holmes Work File of CIA documents.It is described as "Two notebooks of Photographs of Man outside Soviet and Cuban Embassies,Mexico City." In this one the camera also caught what looks like two people passing by on the sidewalk?

Something has always bothered me about the Mexico Oswald. It's difficult to put my finger on but is the guy in the white shirt, the same one as the guy in the dark shirt?

Richard Nagell claimed that it was two men. Why it would need to be two men escapes me but it's a curious thought.

James

Disagree.

They are a match.

UAM is URM an unidentified random Russian,

passed off as Lee Harvey Oswald in a pinch...because of the date of the photo.

Also, I believe this is the gate the young

"Falcon and Snowman" used in the TRW scrambler espionage case.......

Gerry Hemming looked at the two photos. Robin and Shanet were right, and I was wrong. Gerry says both are photographs of the same person. Gerry says that in 1969 Richard Billings, then associated with Life magazine, showed him some very clear photos of the Mexico City Mystery Man, which had been produced from the original negatives.

Gerry Hemming looked at the two photos.  Robin and Shanet were right, and I was wrong. Gerry says both are photographs of the same person.  Gerry says that in 1969 Richard Billings, then associated with Life magazine, showed him some very clear photos of the Mexico City Mystery Man, which had been produced from the original negatives.

I brought up the possibility of our Mexico Oswald being different persons mainly because of what Richard Nagell said in 'The Man Who Knew Too Much'.

It's not the first time I have been confused and I guarantee it won't be the last.

James