The Education Forum

Who was Saul?

Tim Gratz

If we are saying that the Mexico Oswald was Saul, and this in turn was Mario Tauler Sague, then this photograph below suggests not. (photo credit James Richards.)

I think to identify this man, we need to look at who David Phillips was handling at the time. There is also the possibility that this man was an associate of Bernardo Torres and was mixed up in the hit on Lettelier.

JK

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Email message about Saul Sage:

I am very interested in seeing the pictures you have of Saul Sage. Saul lived with us in the Chicago area in the mid-1960’s when I was about 11 or 12 years old. My father and grandfather met him in Mexico. He was working as a glass bottom boat tour guide. They brought him back to Chicago and he stayed with us for several months. Some posting I read said he was born in 1911 but there is no way he was that much older than my dad. I would say he was born somewhere around 1930. I would like to see the picture. I am not sure I would recognize him after all these years though.

He was quite an artist and story teller. He would draw pictures for me of all the places he had been. He used S&H Green Stamp books as his passport and had border stamps in there from all over South America. He said they didn’t speak English and had no idea what they were stamping. I thought this was the funniest thing I ever heard!

He told my Dad he wrote for Soldier of Fortune magazine but most all of the stories weren’t true. He said he was involved with the Bay of Pigs but no one in my house believed him. We just thought he was a great story teller. His stories seemed so outrageous to us at the time. It wasn’t until information about our government’s dealings came out years later that we wondered whether he was actually telling us the truth.

Saul moved out of our house after about 3 months and got a job as a cab driver. I adored him and missed him terribly. He would come on Sunday’s with his cab and take me for a ride sometimes. I loved sitting in the back of the cab being chauffeured around. Then he just disappeared. I never saw him again. My dad got a call from him about a year later asking for money for his daughter who was supposedly sick. My Dad never believed the story but wired him some money. He was somewhere out in the western US but I don’t remember where. We never heard from him again.

Sometime around 1970, the FBI went to my aunt’s house looking for him. He had used her address to get a job as a cab driver because you had to live in Chicago to drive a Chicago cab. She didn’t remember him and did not put it together. When she told my mom about it, my mom realized they had come looking for Saul. By then, however, he was totally out of our lives.

I know you are probably looking for more “hard” information about the man but it is really all I remember. I would love to see the pictures if you would send them. Thanks

Was he relatively dark complected like a Mexican or Latin American? Did he speak English well? Did he speak with an accent? If so, was it a German accent or what? Which cab company did he drive for in Chicago? Color and make of his cab? Was it a Checker Marathon? (That's what I drove for awhile in Scottsdale, Arizona.) Did he have an athletic build? Did he look like the Mexico City Mystery man or the recently-posted photo of Mario Tauler Sague? Etc, etc..

Thanks,

--Thomas

• 1 year later...

Hi Bill,

The photo is from "Castro's Black Book" that was given to Senator George McGovern in 1975. McGovern in turn handed it over to DCI William Colby. By that time there were about 30 attempts made on Castro's life, but official CIA records could only account for 5 or 6.

The "Black Book" was later used by the HSCA in this report: No Title

There are photos of Tony Cuesta and Rolando Cubela in there as well among many others. Sague is on page 8.

It is also discussed here: A List of Assassins

As to when the photo of Sague was taken, I can only guess [maybe July, 1960; when he was nabbed in Havana by authorities unloading weapons which had been secretly smuggled into Cuba?] but in my opinion, it does not look like Sague is the Mexico City Mystery Man based on these images.

-- Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson

Hi Bill,

The photo is from "Castro's Black Book" that was given to Senator George McGovern in 1975. McGovern in turn handed it over to DCI William Colby. By that time there were about 30 attempts made on Castro's life, but official CIA records could only account for 5 or 6.

There are photos of Tony Cuesta and Rolando Cubela in there as well among many others. Sague is on page 8.

As to when the photo of Sague was taken, I can only guess [maybe July, 1960; when he was nabbed in Havana by authorities unloading weapons which had been secretly smuggled into Cuba?] but in my opinion, it does not look like Sague is the Mexico City Mystery Man based on these images.

-- Zach

Zach, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Remember that Richard Case Nagell identified the Mexico City Oswald as a Cuban, to Dick Russell. It is plausible from his appearance to guess a middle-European heritage on one side of the family.

I suppose the question for the e-mail correspondent is whether the Mexico City Oswald is the Saul that he knew.

Edited by David Andrews

Hi Bill,

-- Zach

Zach, could you post the picture(s) of Tony Cuesta?

Todd

Zach, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Michael,

Thank you for your kind words; the feeling definitely is mutual :D

James Richards of Australia was the first to find and post this photo of Sague a few years ago, but I thought it would be beneficial to put it back up. Here are a couple of other related items worth reading:

Mario Tauler Sague

HUGO TULIO MELENDEZ

I would also like to echo Mr. John Kelly’s statement from last April:

I think to identify this man [Mexico City Mystery Man]; we need to look at who David Phillips was handling at the time. There is also the possibility that this man was an associate of Bernardo Torres and was mixed up in the hit on Lettelier.

JK

Zach, could you post the picture(s) of Tony Cuesta?

Todd

Hi Todd,

Here is the photo of Antonio Cuesta Valle.

176d18f2d9.jpg

It would appear to me that this picture was taken in May of 1966 when Tony and his team infiltrated Cuba. Two team members were killed, one being Sandalio Herminio Diaz Garcia, and two were captured, including Tony. Cuesta, who always vowed that Castro would never take him alive, attempted suicide by setting off a grenade, which blinded him and blew off his right hand. Cuesta spent a long time in hospital as a result of his serious injuries. The story is told on page 75 of Castro’s report: No Title

No doubt this was a major victory for Castro in capturing the leader of Comandos “L.”

Here is another photo you may have not seen, a young AMLASH:

MASO_nary_hcnumb_05_0018_0072.jpg

-- Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson

• 8 months later...