The Education Forum

A New Direction for Dangerous Dan

♦A New Direction for Dangerous Dan♦

Published on 23 February 2005

I send this to every Forum I post on and every addressee in my e-mail listing inasmuch as I owe it to each of you to tell you of my finally awakening to the fact that I have, for close to forty-nine years, relegated my wife to a position of second place consideration, that I must confess that sin to my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and then take action to prove to her that I now recognize my need to love her as Christ loved the Church. He first made the world and then made the family.

In 1956, within a few days of our marriage I told Kate “The Army must come first” and I made certain that she understood that she must at all times be prepared to manage all aspects of home life, children, etc., as I was subject to call 24 hours a day. She wore that responsibility with love, honor and dignity for the remainder of my military career. After I retired from active duty, though I promised her that “things would be different” they never were. I continued to let post retirement work and my ever-increasing crusade activity have first priority on my time and attention, again relegating Kate to take second shift. It was always Kate whose hopes and dreams were continually set aside so that I could devote my energies to that what drove me at the time.

It was only recently that I came to realize that I didn’t deserve Kate’s continued acceptance of second place. I called Pastor Tom Crouse, a man who I trust as a brother, a man of God and Pastor of the Holland Congregational Church in Holland, Massachusetts. I asked for his advice knowing that he was familiar with my life story and well aware of my goals in life: those many challenges I felt led by our Lord to take on. He flat told me, with Biblical authority behind what he said, that God must come first and my wife second and he emphasized the need for me to put the crusades behind me, the book writing behind me and devote my life to assuring that Kate had her rightful place in my heart and my actions. I now submit myself to this new direction and I have pledged to Kate that I will cease and desist all of my crusade activities which include writing, talking, meeting to discuss or whatever may be asked of me relative to those “crusade” activities on the 5th day of October 2005, the day prior to our 49th wedding anniversary. The only exception will be doing whatever is necessary to defend myself against the plaintiffs who have sued me for $700,000+ for what I wrote in my book Expendable Elite – One Soldier’s Journey Into Covert Warfare. (©2003 published by TrineDay Press)

Between now and 5 October 2005 I will:

1. Work in my furniture repair shop to help pay off debts and lawsuit

costs.

2. Provide information to Marci Calabretta who is writing my biography.

3. Provide information as needed to Kris Milligan as he assembles a book

titled The Devious Elite – Fifty Years of Subterfuge: Compiled by Trine

Day Press from the Mental Scrapbook of Lieutenant Colonel

Dangerous Dan Marvin, U.S Army Special Forces (Retired).

4. Lecture and write articles to promote and support the above.

I will not take on any new crusades nor involve myself in further development of any of my crusades, past or present, except to do as noted above. I humbly ask for your understanding and prayers.

Sincerely,

LTC Daniel Marvin, U.S. Army Special Forces (Retired)

♦A New Direction for Dangerous Dan♦

Published on 23 February 2005

I send this to every Forum I post on and every addressee in my e-mail listing inasmuch as I owe it to each of you to tell you of my finally awakening to the fact that I have, for close to forty-nine years, relegated my wife to a position of second place consideration, that I must confess that sin to my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and then take action to prove to her that I now recognize my need to love her as Christ loved the Church.  He first made the world and then made the family.

In 1956, within a few days of our marriage I told Kate “The Army must come first” and I made certain that she understood that she must at all times be prepared to manage all aspects of home life, children, etc., as I was subject to call 24 hours a day. She wore that responsibility with love, honor and dignity for the remainder of my military career.  After I retired from active duty, though I promised her that “things would be different” they never were.  I continued to let post retirement work and my ever-increasing crusade activity have first priority on my time and attention, again relegating Kate to take second shift.  It was always Kate whose hopes and dreams were continually set aside so that I could devote my energies to that what drove me at the time.

It was only recently that I came to realize that I didn’t deserve Kate’s continued acceptance of second place.  I called Pastor Tom Crouse, a man who I trust as a brother, a man of God and Pastor of the Holland Congregational Church in Holland, Massachusetts. I asked for his advice knowing that he was familiar with my life story and well aware of my goals in life: those many challenges I felt led by our Lord to take on.  He flat told me, with Biblical authority behind what he said, that God must come first and my wife second and he emphasized the need for me to put the crusades behind me, the book writing behind me and devote my life to assuring that Kate had her rightful place in my heart and my actions.  I now submit myself to this new direction and I have pledged to Kate that I will cease and desist all of my crusade activities which include writing, talking, meeting to discuss or whatever may be asked of me relative to those “crusade” activities on the 5th day of October 2005, the day prior to our 49th wedding anniversary.  The only exception will be doing whatever is necessary to defend myself against the plaintiffs who have sued me for $700,000+ for what I wrote in my book Expendable Elite – One Soldier’s Journey Into Covert Warfare. (©2003 published by TrineDay Press)

Between now and 5 October 2005 I will:

1. Work in my furniture repair shop to help pay off debts and lawsuit

costs.

2. Provide information to Marci Calabretta who is writing my biography.

3. Provide information as needed to Kris Milligan as he assembles a book

titled The Devious Elite – Fifty Years of Subterfuge: Compiled by Trine

Day Press from the Mental Scrapbook of Lieutenant Colonel

Dangerous Dan Marvin, U.S Army Special Forces (Retired).

4. Lecture and write articles to promote and support the above.

I will not take on any new crusades nor involve myself in further development of any of my crusades, past or present, except to do as noted above. I humbly ask for your understanding and prayers. 

Sincerely,

LTC Daniel Marvin, U.S. Army Special Forces (Retired)

Dan,

Good goals, but does this mean you will cease all forum activity?

I hope that you will meet all of your goals but will periodically check in here and do so with the knowledge that your wife is well before these activities.

The real war is just getting underway. But I know you have your armor for that one.

Dawn