The Education Forum

The Taming of The Shrew

Paul Kerrigan

I have just finished reading Shakespeare's play The Taming of the Shrew and I am confused about Katherine's taming. Did Petruchio actually tame Katherine? Did she play the part of submissive wife with that speech at the end to control Petruchio by understanding what he was trying to do by starving her and depriving her of sleep? Was the whole marriage just a ruse so Katherine could find happiness in her prescribed social role and so she could gain respect from her peers?

Thanks for anyone that has answers!

Guest Raynah Thomas
I have just finished reading Shakespeare's play The Taming of the Shrew and I am confused about Katherine's taming.  Did Petruchio actually tame Katherine?  Did she play the part of submissive wife with that speech at the end to control Petruchio by understanding what he was trying to do by starving her and depriving her of sleep?  Was the whole marriage just a ruse so Katherine could find happiness in her prescribed social role and so she could gain respect from her peers?

Thanks for anyone that has answers!

There are no answers...

From here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/webweaving/hugo..._shrew_279.html

Simultaneously welcomed for its feisty battle-of-the-sexes comedy and loathed for its apparently blatant misogyny and crushing of an individual's spirit, Shrew has become a notorious 'problem play', which divides critics and audiences, with scholars of Shakespeare rushing to either defend or demean it.

I studiesd this at A level and we were divided over it. Is it a comedy, or a tragedy because Kate was to all intents and purposes beaten, crushed?

Edited by Raynah Thomas