The Education Forum

Readers Digest Article on Assassination

I assume most of you have already picked up the fact that the current issue of Readers Digest has a cover story about the possibility of new evidence solving the JFK case (I think that is how it is put). What it really states is that advanced computer techniques may be able to confirm (or refute) the dictabelt analysis of which the HSCA based its coclusion of a probable conspiracy. Of course, such new techniques may be able to confirm the existence of a second shooter in DP but cannot identify who the second shooter was.

Perhaps however if the new analysis of the dictabelt recordings can confirm beyond reasonable question a second shooter, public pressure could be exerted to officially reopen the investigation?

Your thoughts on the article (if you have read it) and what could be done if the new techniques can confirm a conspiracy. If not a new investigation, at least a symbolic trashing of a few copies of Posner's book?

That dictabelt is not going to tell us anything we don't already know.

Voices from well after the shooting, police dispatchers, are heard.

If the gunshots are not clear to the "naked" ear, I will never trust a computer enhancement where analysts claim to hear shots in the motorcycle and radio interference....

Readers Digest? The Annenberg family patriotic wash? That's a source?

Come on............

"Archie and Jughead" might have some insight, but "Reader's Digest?".... sorry.

Shanet, I cannot tell from your post whether you agree with the HSCA analysis of the dictabelt recordings or not.

Also, you seem to be condemning the Readers Digest article merely because it is in the Readers Digest.

Have you read it?

Shanet, for your information, the article is by Jefferson Morley who, as I am sure you know, has done some excellent work on the assassination.

While it's good that Reader's Digest would put it on the cover, the story itself may have an unfortunate effect. When the dictabelt is further discredited it will convince the Posnerites and Jennings-faithful that the conspiracy crowd has been further discredited, when only a minority of those who believe there was a conspiracy care about the dictabelt. Now if Morley had been able to get the cover with an article on Joannides, then we'd be getting somewhere.

When the dictabelt is further discredited it will convince the Posnerites and Jennings-faithful that the conspiracy crowd has been further discredited, when only a minority of those who believe there was a conspiracy care about the dictabelt. 

Pat is right to point out that the dictabelt recording is of little interest to conspiracy theorists. It just provided an excuse for lone-gunman theorists like Robert Blakey to change their mind on the issue. I have always thought this evidence highly dubious and it would not surprise me if new technology eventually proves that the noises on the tape are not gunfire shots. If that is the case, it will not have any impact of my belief that JFK was killed by at least two gunman. I thought that before the tape was found I will continue to believe it after the dictabelt tapes are discredited.

Tim

My 83 year old father gives me a subscription to Readers Digest each year (thank god for parents that teach their children the value of reading). When I saw that Jefferson Morley was the author, I became very excited. Not as excited after reading the article and find myself in agreement with John Simkin when speaking about the dictabelt evidence.

What impresses me about Morley is that he has bucked the mainstream and keeps the assassination of Kennedy on the frontpage with supportable, factual, new evidence. His lawsuit to release additional assassination documents, I believe, will be successful because of his wide readership and good reputation. While some conspiracy theorists are unhappy with others (Posner for example) involved with him in this law suit I am happy to find that so many are willing to raise the funds necessary to continue this struggle.

Morley has been cordial in communication and was surprized to learn that both George Joannides and Thomas Karamessines may have been involved with Edwin Walker during the Greek Civil War. At the time in question (1948-49) there were only (officially) 44 Americans involved in Greece and Walker was running the Greek Desk at the Pentagon making it conceivable that they were associated during this covert operation. I have been successful in identifing where documents from this period are stored but (because of the quantity of documents and there location) the following comments will slow my access:

"Since these files are widely dispersed, we cannot undertake the extensive research necessary to examine the records and identify the pertinent documents. Our staff can assist researchers with their work but cannot perform substantive research for them. We will make the records available in our research room so you or your representative can examine and select documents for reproduction."

The search continues.

On another note, following the Karamessines lead, I have been able to locate some personal correspondence between Allen Dulles and Thomas Karamessines that indicates a rather close relationship between these two men, one of which (Karamessines) was receiving information about Lee Harvey Oswald before the assassination of JFK. Coincidence?

Thank you Jefferson Morley.

Jim Root

Tim

Morley has been cordial in communication and was surprized to learn that both George Joannides and Thomas Karamessines may have been involved with Edwin Walker during the Greek Civil War.  At the time in question (1948-49) there were only (officially) 44 Americans involved in Greece and Walker was running the Greek Desk at the Pentagon making it conceivable that they were associated during this covert operation.  I have been successful in identifing where documents from this period are stored but (because of the quantity of documents and there location) the following comments will slow my access:

"Since these files are widely dispersed, we cannot undertake the extensive research necessary to examine the records and identify the pertinent documents.  Our staff can assist researchers with their work but cannot perform substantive research for them.  We will make the records available in our research room so you or your representative can examine and select documents for reproduction."

The search continues.

On another note, following the Karamessines lead, I have been able to locate some personal correspondence between Allen Dulles and Thomas Karamessines that indicates a rather close relationship between these two men, one of which (Karamessines) was receiving information about Lee Harvey Oswald before the assassination of JFK.  Coincidence?

Jim Root

Jim, your research into the Greek connection might lead to your uncovering some mighty big nuggets. I assume you know of the rumors that the right wing of Greece was largely funded by CIA, and that Greek dictator Papadopoulos was the CIA's point man in Greece before his push to overthrow Papandreou. I assume you're also aware that he took the money provided by the CIA to stop Greece from going commie and turned around and pumped it into Nixon's 68 campaign for President (which explains why Nixon picked Spiro Agnew as VP), via Greek-American businessman Thomas Pappas. If it can be established that Karamessines, Joannides, and Walker all played footsie with these guys than we have a whole new prism through which to view things.

Edited by Pat Speer

Pat

I appreciate the comments.

There seems to be at least three levels to American involvement in the Greece after WWII. The first begins immediately after the war and is supportive of the British who were taking the lead in Greece. The second period begins with the announcement that Great Britian will withdraw from Greece and the development and implementation of the Truman doctrine and NATO. The third period is a post Korean War period where Karamessines seems to expand his leadership role.

All three periods are of interest to me in regards to Edwin Walker with the emphisis on the second. During the first period (1945-1949) Karamessines is recruited into the frey and begins to get his feet wet in the world of covert opps. It was during this period that the remnants of the OSS were still running the shows and former members of the First Special Services Force (FSSF) were being recruited to train and work within the framework of this new type of warfare.

During this first period (begining late May of 1946) Edwin Walker was selected for some intense training himself. At a time when the military was being downsized this former commander of the FSSF was first selected to attend the General Staff School. Upon his successful completion he went directly to the Air War College.

The second period of American involvement in Greece begins in 1949 and coincides with Walker going from the Air War College to the Pentagon and the Greek desk. I hate to be redundant but once again Walker's timming puts him in the middle of another historical moment, the Truman Doctrine, our involvement in Greece and the development of NATO, after being prepared, it seems, for nearly three years. By the Korean War, Walker's involvement in Greece ends.

In the third phase of American invovement there is another coincidental connection between what appears to be two Walker associates, Thomas Karamessines and Robert Tryon Frederick. I am still attempting to investigate the potential information that may surround the resignation of General Frederick at this time and Thomas Karamessines' rise within the CIA.

Jim Root

Tim

Morley has been cordial in communication and was surprized to learn that both George Joannides and Thomas Karamessines may have been involved with Edwin Walker during the Greek Civil War.  At the time in question (1948-49) there were only (officially) 44 Americans involved in Greece and Walker was running the Greek Desk at the Pentagon making it conceivable that they were associated during this covert operation.  I have been successful in identifing where documents from this period are stored but (because of the quantity of documents and there location) the following comments will slow my access:

"Since these files are widely dispersed, we cannot undertake the extensive research necessary to examine the records and identify the pertinent documents.  Our staff can assist researchers with their work but cannot perform substantive research for them.  We will make the records available in our research room so you or your representative can examine and select documents for reproduction."

The search continues.

On another note, following the Karamessines lead, I have been able to locate some personal correspondence between Allen Dulles and Thomas Karamessines that indicates a rather close relationship between these two men, one of which (Karamessines) was receiving information about Lee Harvey Oswald before the assassination of JFK.  Coincidence?

Jim Root

Jim, your research into the Greek connection might lead to your uncovering some mighty big nuggets. I assume you know of the rumors that the right wing of Greece was largely funded by CIA, and that Greek dictator Papadopoulos was the CIA's point man in Greece before his push to overthrow Papandreou. I assume you're also aware that he took the money provided by the CIA to stop Greece from going commie and turned around and pumped it into Nixon's 68 campaign for President (which explains why Nixon picked Spiro Agnew as VP), via Greek-American businessman Thomas Pappas. If it can be established that Karamessines, Joannides, and Walker all played footsie with these guys than we have a whole new prism through which to view things.

Pat

That was a great post. It summarizes what is hinted at in Anthony Summers' Arrogance of Power. Nixon was extremely sensitive about Pappas and Greece and I believe you have hit the nail on the head with that paragraph.

Also, remember Louis Mountbatten and Prince Philip were royal family in Greece, and so MI/6 is mixed up in all of this.

As I have stated elsewhere, Thomas Karamessines was STRUCTURALLY central to the Western Hemisphere domestic operations of JC KING, HOWARD HUNT, WM HARVEY, DESMOND FITZGERALD and DAVID ATTLEE PHILIPS....

Karamessines was, in effect, Helms and McCone's cut-out or deniable operations officer for the cover-up, if not the assassination of Kennedy itself.....

Shanet, I basically synthesized information available in Summers' The Arrogance of Power and William Blum's chapter on Greece in Killing Hope.

In 63, Karamessines was Helms's top deputy, which made him the ADDP... This was the title Tracy Barnes had when he signed off on the assassination of Trujillo without informing Bissell. The ADDP could also create fake companies for CIA covert activities without higher approval (Source: The Rockefeller Report). This makes him a very dangerous man and exactly the kind of guy who could pull off a CIA-sponsored assassination without McCone's knowledge. Helms was too careful and too political; I've never bought his involvement. But Karamessines? If he was ultra-right and under the sway of Phillips and Joannides (and possibly Hunt), who knows?

I totally agree with you, McCone and Helms were politically isolated, but Karamessines is palpably indicted. It may well be that a joint agency effort involving ONI, JCS, NSA (military intelligence agencies) did the heavy lifting and the CIA was less involved, via the office of Karamessines......

In October, 2004, I emailed G. Robert Blakey and asked him for his latest views on the JFK assassination. He replied:

"I have seen nothing to change my mind, though I am less confident of the acoustical result today in light of other analyses of it. The other evidence in the plaza, however, still points to two shooters no matter how valid the acoustical study comes out in the end."

I found this response interesting. In his book "The Plot to Kill the President" he gives the impression that it was only the acoustic evidence that convinced him that there was a conspiracy. I wonder what other evidence he had in mind that proves there was a conspiracy.