The Education Forum

Matt Damon to play James Angleton

A new film loosely based on the life of James Jesus Angleton is to start production later this month. Matt Damon has been cast as a character which parallels Angleton and his career with the CIA. Angelina Jolie is also set to appear in the film.

Robert De Niro is going to direct and also play the spy as an older man. The title is 'The Good Shepherd'. This project has been on the starting blocks for about 10 years where Leonardo DiCaprio was to be the original lead.

I'm sure if you Google the title and cast names there will be more details available.

James

Edited by James Richards

A new film loosely based on the life of James Jesus Angleton is to start production later this month. Matt Damon has been cast as a character which parallels Angleton and his career with the CIA. Angelina Jolie is also set to appear in the film.

Robert De Niro is going to direct and also play the spy as an older man. The title is 'The Good Shepherd'. This project has been on the starting blocks for about 10 years where Leonardo DiCaprio was to be the original lead.

I'm sure if you Google the title and cast names there will be more details available.

James

If they really wanted to capture Angleton Johnny Depp would be the man.

Tim,

You mention Michael Mann who of course was responsible for 'Miami Vice'. Mann was also responsible for giving G. Gordon Liddy an acting job on the series.

Far far as Liddy and his celebrity status goes, I'm sure glad crime doesn't pay. :angry:

James

Well, Liddy or not, IMO Mann is the best living American film director. See "Collateral" on DVD if you did not get a chance to catch it in the theatre.

Miami Vice used many celebrities as actors. For instance, Danny Sullivan played a race car driver; Glenn Fry was a pilot in a memorable episode "Smugglers Blues" (and he sang the song "Smugglers Blues"); Penn Jillette of Jillette and Teller appeared in "Prodigal Son" as did Gene Simmons of Kiss; Phil Collins acted in one episode, and his songs were in many; fight promoter Don King was in an episode; and the list goes on.

And Liddy, of course, always played the role of a bad guy.

BTW, Dick Wolf, creator of the "Law and Order" franchise, got his start on Miami Vice.

Well, enough vice for now!

Except---some conspiracy-minded sorts think Gary Hart's presidential campaign may have been sabotaged: i.e., Donna Rice was planted on him hoping he would go after her and ruin his presidential campaign. As I recall, Rice was introduced to Sen. Hart at Don Johnson's New Year's Eve Party in Aspen, Colorado.

So there's at least a minor possible link to the Forum's subject matter!

Edited by Tim Gratz

Tim et al;

I think there's more links here than we know. Howard Hughes, Hollywood, Johnny Roselli, Kennedy, Karyn Kupcinet, Audie Murphy, Frank Sinatra, etc.

As for me, I would prefer a complete cessation of all further distortion of history by all and sundry. Give me an exciting film with a good cast and a solid story which sticks as much as possible to the truth for once.

I believe I posted this once before. The Julius Rosengard connection is very interesting.

- lee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6514596669&rd=1

JFK Fascinating Original Document re Movies Mafia

Facinating Kennedy item that requires some explaining.In 1988 a large group of letters, checks, tax forms and documents was obtained by a collector. These papers all dated from the mid-twenties to the early fifties, with much of the material concerning such mobsters as Lansky, Genovese, Adonis, Solomon and others. The common thread of all these documents was that they were directly tied to the accounting practice of one Julius Rosengard. This piece at first would garner a casual second glance. Written in pencil, in Rosengard's hand "Columbia Pictures Corp" with eight films listed on the sheet, with 30% of the gross of each film carried over to the right and totalled at the bottom. What makes this piece even more interesting is written on a 6.25 x 9 sheet of John F. Kennedy's personal Congressional letterhead. Teh consignor notes that after an exhaustive search, no other Kennedy material was found. How did this end up in Rosengard's possession? What was the film connection, especially the share calculated for each film? A few tears and some minor wear as shown. Wish we knew more!

Two of these movies came out in 1952.

This would appear to be a thirty percent payout ($800,000) for under the table production costs that the mob provided to Columbia.

It probably ties in with Joe Kennedy Sr.

Well, Liddy or not, IMO Mann is the best living American film director. (Tim Gratz)

I agree with you, Tim.

One of Mann's early films was the under rated 'Manhunter' which starred 'CSI - Las Vegas' lead William Peterson. This was the first film to introduce movie goers to the character Hannibal Lector.

Mann is also going to direct and produce a feature film based on the 'Miami Vice' series. Colin Farrell will play Sonny Crockett and Jamie Foxx will play Ricardo Tubbs.

James

My favorite film by Michael Mann is 'Thief.' 1981, apparently Mann's first film? The Tangerine Dream soundtrack, the cast, the story, the photography - it's just a solid film.

They released a Director's cut edition with added footage and it was well worth the purchase. The DVD edition [which I do not own yet] has additional deleted scenes and commentary by Mann and Caan.

Best living director? Tough call for me. Jarmusch is high on my list, and he's constantly improving.

- lee

• 7 years later...