The Education Forum

Black History Conference

I have pasted below information about a conference coming up in the Easter holidays at University College Northampton called 'putting the 'black' back into British history that I will be contributing to. I gave a workshop today called 'using active learning techniques to teach black British history' which involved a matching exercise using images of different individuals eg Seacole, Cuffay, Equiano. This was turned into a living timeline as the participants placed these characters in chronological order. I then went into a 'think, pair, share' activity using a visual image of the Drake Jewel and a discussion about how this can be linked this into a debate about contemporary immigration. This was followed up with 'hotseating Mary Seacole' and finished off with a look at my various black history webquests. I plan to do something similar at Northampton. I will also be bringing some of my students to perform some of their own raps and contribute to the workshops. I highly recommend this conference and if you want to know more about it then let me know via pm or email.

Black and Asian Studies Association Conference

In partnership with University College Northampton & Northamptonshire Black History Project

"Putting the ‘Black’ back into British History":

teaching inclusive history in schools

10 – 6pm on Saturday 9 April 2005 at University College Northampton

None of us can fully appreciate British history without knowing about the role of

black and Asian Britons in the distant and more recent past. Partial, inaccurate

and exclusive history is of benefit to no-one and leads to a society in which

citizens are not fully equipped with the knowledge to celebrate the past, nor the

power to challenge stereotypes, ignorance and racism.

It is imperative therefore that British Black history is comprehensively taught in

our schools and that teachers are fully equipped with the knowledge and

resources to enable them to do this properly. The inclusive imperative is also

evident in the Race Relations Amendment Act and the National Curriculum.

This conference is open to young people, parents, teachers, governors,

students, curators, archivists, librarians and anyone who wants to see the

contributions of Black and Asian people taught in schools.

The conference will consist of a combination of presentations and practical

workshops demonstrating the opportunities and needs for teaching British Black

History in the National Curriculum. It will be a fantastic forum in which to

exchange ideas, share good practice and discuss an agenda for the future.

FEE: £ 12 (BASA Members & concs), £15 (Others), £20 (Institutions) includes lunch and

refreshments (Cheque must be supplied with booking form)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOOKING ESSENTIAL!

Please complete the form below or email: t.bressey@ucl.ac.uk to reserve your space

by 31 March 2005

Name................................................................. Telephone no........................................

Address.........................................................................

................................................................................

............... Postcode................................

Email...........................................................................

....... Please reserve me ……… place(s)

Please let us know if have any access or dietary needs.............................................................

Return to: Dr Caroline Bressey, Department of Geography, University College

London, 26 Bedford Way, LONDON, WC1H OAP. T. 020 7679 7586

I have noticed on the TES History Forum that there is a lot of hostility towards “Black History”. Although he has so far only spoken in code (“my plan to bring an end to political correctness”) it seems that Michael Howard and Tim Collins are opposed to the idea of teaching “Black History”.

In all the schools I have taught in the majority of my colleagues have not felt very strongly about the need to teach Black History. The same goes for Women’s History, although they were more open-mined about that.

What do other members think? What have you experiences of teaching Black History?