The Education Forum

The Car Bomb

As you all know, I am sure, Gerry Hemming has stated that as a back-up, in the event the assassins were not sure they had killed President Kennedy in Dealey Plaza, the plotters had placed a remote-controlled bomb in one of the vehicles parked by the side of the road beyond the triple overpass. It as been suggested that perhaps the bomb could have been triggered from a room in the Cabana Hotel. Is there anyone sufficiently familiar with the area who can comment on this possibility. Even if the hotel overlooked the freeway, was it so far from it that a radio countrol device might not have worked from the hotel? I would appreciate your comments and ideas re this scenario.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Gerry Hemmings, an impeccable source with a flawless memory, told me that Andrei Gromyko was pouring motor oil - 30 weight PENNZOIL on the Stemmons Freeway around noon of November 22.....

really ;)

Tim,

The Cabana was right off of Stemmons, indeed the exact address was 899 Stemmons Freeway. It would have an excellent view of the traffic.

Ron

Thnks, Ron!

Do you know if it was close enough to allow the remote-control trigger to be used from a room overlooking the freeway?

Does the Cabana still exist?

Any way of determing whether Braden was in a room that overlooked the freeway?

Tim,

Without any photos of the place it’s hard to say if it was close enough for radio control of a car bomb on the freeway.

Here’s a map that shows where it was located along the route:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?count...&searchtab=home

The county bought the Cabana in the 1970s and turned it into a jail, the Decker Detention Center. It was closed in 2002, but reopened last October due to a surging jail population in Dallas.

Here’s the best description I’ve found of the location, on a Dallas history message board. You might try emailing the person who wrote this, as he or she clearly has fond memories of the old Cabana and could tell you just how close it was to the freeway:

http://www.dallashistory.org/cgi-bin/webbb...ig.pl?read=8163

Ron

Tim,

The Cabana was right off of Stemmons, indeed the exact address was 899 Stemmons Freeway. It would have an excellent view of the traffic.

Ron

Notice on the image below, how close the industrial blvd (where Hudson said his friend on the Knoll steps had said he worked) is to the Trade Mart.

Good place for a back up assassination point in case the first attempt failed.

Edited by Robin Unger

I really hope that this jail was not named after Bill Decker.

Yes, it's also called the "Bill Decker jail."