The Education Forum

KLIF Broadcast on MP3 From 11/22/63

Just yesterday, I met up with an old friend from my days when I worked in radio. Knowing of my interest in all things pertaining to the JFK assassination, he gave me an MP3 disc containing almost 8 hours of real-time broadcast from Dallas radio station KLIF on November 22, 1963. It begins at approximately 11:30 am, as a KLIF reporter broadcasts JFK's arrival at Love Field.

It sounds like your average 40-year-old tape recording--from whence it came--but for the most part it's highly listenable. The first bulletin comes at around 12:40 pm, when "I Have A Boyfriend" by The Chiffons is interrupted to report that there is a report that shots have been fire--possibly three shots--at the presidential motorcade. Four minutes later (12:44 pm), a second bulletin reports that there have been injuries, and that the wounded are being transported to Parkland Hospital. Three minutes later, another bulletin reports that all available Dallas Police Department officers have been ordered to report to the vicinity of Elm and Houston, "code 3" (at high speed, using lights and sirens), to secure the area.

This raised a question in MY mind: if this was the order on DPD radio, why was Tippit found shot over in Oak Cliff a mere 20 minutes later?

It was also at the time of this bulletin that a reporter aired a police dispatcher's description of a suspect, a white male, around 30 years old, with a 30-caliber rifle.

Five minutes later--around 12:52 pm-- came a fourth bulletin, reporting several shots from a 30-caliber rifle were fired in the vicinity of Elm and Houston, and for the first time came a mention of the TSBD...with the information that the "would-be presidential assassin" was possibly still in the building.

It makes for some compelling listening. So far, I've gotten through about 4-1/2 hours of it. I found it interesting that it was reported, after Oswald was in custody but before his name had been released to the press, that a Captain Pat Ganaway (sp.?) had told reporters that the suspect has visited Russia, his wife was a Russian, and that he was chairman of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. It was also reported that Dallas police said that, once in custody, the suspect said, "I got me a president and a cop; now if I can just get two more..." These days, that would be tantamount to tainting a potential jury pool, would it not?

Also, KLIF reported around 4:15 pm that the MEXICAN government had decided to seal the border for 72 hours, to prevent the escape of the assassin(s)...now, why wouldn't the Texas or U.S. Federal authorities (FBI, Border Partol, etc) have thought about that SOONER THAN 4 HOURS AFTER THE MURDER?

Interesting stuff...Anyone know why police dispatchers were reporting a 30-caliber rifle was used before ANY gun had been recovered?

Just yesterday, I met up with an old friend from my days when I worked in radio.  Knowing of my interest in all things pertaining to the JFK assassination, he gave me an MP3 disc containing almost 8 hours of real-time broadcast from Dallas radio station KLIF on November 22, 1963.  It begins at approximately 11:30 am, as a KLIF reporter broadcasts JFK's arrival at Love Field.

Mark,

Please check the broadcast and see if there was a live report from Love Field at approximately 2:15CST. A fellow researcher has previously indicated that he heard a radio broadcast from Love involving the arrival of a black hearse on the front starboard side of AF1. As we know, the hearse that left Parkland was white, and JFK's casket was loaded on the rear port side.

Thanks

RJS

Edited by Richard J. Smith

Just yesterday, I met up with an old friend from my days when I worked in radio.  Knowing of my interest in all things pertaining to the JFK assassination, he gave me an MP3 disc containing almost 8 hours of real-time broadcast from Dallas radio station KLIF on November 22, 1963.  It begins at approximately 11:30 am, as a KLIF reporter broadcasts JFK's arrival at Love Field.

Mark,

Please check the broadcast and see if there was a live report from Love Field at approximately 2:15CST. A fellow researcher has previously indicated that he heard a radio broadcast from Love involving the arrival of a black hearse on the front starboard side of AF1. As we know, the hearse that left Parkland was white, and JFK's casket was loaded on the rear port side.

Thanks

RJS

I beleive this may be part of the "eight hours" of tape, on Real Player streaming media.

http://www.reelradio.com/se/index.html#klif112263

Edited by Robin Unger

What I have here just may be the ReelRadio 8-hour special from November 22, 2003...not sure of its origin, but the description fits.

As far as any remotes from Love Field, KLIF apparently didn't do any after the initial landing. All of the mention of Air Force One's departure and LBJ's swearing-in ceremony are reports being read, but they are being read in the studio. The only remotes, after the initial ones from Dealy Plaza, are from Parkland Hospital and from Dallas police headquarters. So there was no report on KLIF about a black hearse at Love Field.

Interestingly, at around 1:38 pm, KLIF aired a "confirmed" report that a Secret Service agent was killed in Dealy Plaza...and repeated that report at least 4 more times over the next 3 hours...while I haven't gone beyond the 4-1/2 hour point, I haven't heard a retraction or correction to that point.

I also have some WBAP broadcasts on MP3, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.