The Education Forum

Windows error

When I attempt to boot up my second PC I get the following error - the following file is missing or corrupt;

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I can't even start in safe mode.

Does any one have any ideas as to the causes of this and the fix??

The following web page offers a possible solution:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

I found it by Googling with the filename. Looks like it's not an uncommon problem, which doesn't mean it's easily solved.

Hope this helps.

David Wilson

http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/

Thanks David... I'll try a few of those things before I take it back to PC World

It looks like I've bought a "Friday afternoon" computer - only 2 months old :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure. I get automatic updates when I log on, including the bug fixes mentioned. I have YET to suffer a virus attack on my Macs - not that it isn't possible - while on my PC I am constantly having to update my anti-virus software and screen every email to the point where communication might as well be by snail mail.

And as far as system stability - which is what Andy was having trouble with - I might get a program crash (almost always Microsoft for Mac programs) once every two weeks. These do not require a re-boot of the whole operating system. On my PC's, I'm lucky if I get through the day without a crash - which always requires a whole system re-boot. I use Windows 98, Millenium, 2000 and XP daily, and XP is certainly better than the others in this regard; still not as good as OS X 10.3.

I "grew up" using PC's, and still use them everyday. But I've been using Macs for about 4 years now, and there's just no comparison. The Mac is a far better computer.

I'm a lone Mac user in an almost entirely PC environment (I should feel lucky that the powers-that-be haven't taken my Mac away). I have the same experience as Mike vis-a-vis my colleagues.

We've come to a modus vivendi where I don't make comments about their computer breakdowns and they don't begrudge me the ability to carry on working whilst they're waiting for their computers to be fixed …

I like Macs. My daughter runs a graphic design business: 100% Mac hardware and software - which is the sine qua non in the print and design industry in the UK.

I am a PC user. I have to be as I develop and sell software to UK schools, which are around 95% PC users according to our customer records (around 5500 schools). We used to develop software on both platforms, but by the mid-90s it was clear that Macs were losing out to PCs in the educational sector in the UK, so now we only develop and sell software for PCs.

PCs annoy me, however. My personal PC crashes or hangs around five times per day, for no apparent reason. I am still using Win98SE, which is more or less reliable with all its bug fixes and patches installed. I refuse to upgrade to Microsoft's latest operating systems as soon as they appear as they tend to be field-tested by Microsoft's customers for two years before they eventually settle down.

I used to be plagued by viruses and spam emails, but I haven't received a virus from any source for around 8-9 months - maybe because I am using Win98SE and because most virus writers attack the latest operating systems, which are full of holes. I suffered a massive spam attack in July 2004 - around 1000 per day - which forced me to change my business email address and munge the new address into a Web contact form. I no longer display my business email address on the Web. Since then, I have received no more than six spam emails per day.

We seem to have strayed somewhat 

Sorry - my fault. Though I would point out that your problem would be solved if you just got a Mac...

OH NO! I'm starting to sound like a religious zealot! Please pray for me!

Bless you my son :plane:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can't do this at work because West Sussex LEA are cowards and wont allow Linux.

However at home I have a very simple dual boot Linux and Windows system. Try it. When Windows is being a pain I switch to Linux. I never have to switch the other way believe me.

I actually took the offending PC to PC World whose chief 'spotty yoof' on the technical help desk wanted to charge me £30 for pressing F11 and starting again :blink:

Needless to say I took it home and did it myself. I have lost all the work that was on the PC however :rolleyes: