The Education Forum

Gay Marriage ban

Tomorrow, April 5, 2005, the state of Kansas will join the mounting group of states in voting to ban gay marriage or simply redefine marriage as a union between a man and a woman. I find this tampering with any form of constitution quite troubling for several reasons: the first being that any amendment that takes away individual rights abrogates the founding fathers intentions. Secondly, I have problems with the arguments used by those who are attempting to tamper with the state constitutions, "Protect Marriage, vote yes," to amend the constitution.

The questions that comes to mind for me is, how can people who claim to be good christians vote to deny someone's rights? Doesn't the bible not say "thou shall not judge." I also look at history and these incremental steps to limit individual freedoms remind me of the moves of Joseph McCarthy as well as the moves made by the Nazis in the 1930's. These are indeed scary times we live in.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever wins the upcoming electoral farce in the UK, we will face a struggle for any democratic right. The significance of gay marriage is not the church or state blessing a relationship (I would reject any such blessing on any of my relationships!) but recognising that there is more than one "right" lifestyle.

Pushing the issue of gay marriage enabled the religious right to gain a stranglehold on the political system in the States and everybody has suffered.

I used to get worked up about this topic but now I just find it tedious stating the obvious. Gay marriage does not hurt anyone. Banning gay marriage does. If we are civilised nice kind people who would like to be treated fairly I suggest that we treat others as fairly. Is there really any arguement beyond that?

Rowena

I used to get worked up about this topic but now I just find it tedious stating the obvious. Gay marriage does not hurt anyone. Banning gay marriage does. If we are civilised nice kind people who would like to be treated fairly I suggest that we treat others as fairly. Is there really any arguement beyond that?

I agree. Sex is one of the most pleasurable activities available to humans. I cannot understand how so-called Christians want to deny these pleasures to gays and those who are unmarried. Yet this seems to bother them far more than other moral issues. For example, the fact that around hundreds of thousands of people die unnecessary deaths every week in the undeveloped world. Even their views on sex are completely hypocritical. For example, the Catholic Church has spent years covering-up (and therefore encouraging) paedophilia amongst the clergy. Currently there are 4,450 Catholic clergy in the US alone accused of molesting children. For example, one American cardinal found guilty of covering up this scandal was rewarded with promotion to a key position in Rome by Pope John Paul II.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3641