The Education Forum

CIA cryptonyms

I understand if the 1954 CIA Guatamela operation had failed the CIA would have had to change the cryptonym to PBFAILURE.

James, can you identify and post the photo of the CIA bureaucrat whose sole responsibility was to come up with these names?

Edited by Tim Gratz

I had seen this before and saw it tonight on another forum.

Can anyone spot any errors in it, or do you have any additions to the list?

http://www.biography.ms/CIA_cryptonym.html

Operation Mockingbird is of course not listed. There is evidence that MHCHAOS took over responsibility for Mockingbird when it was established in 1968. For a much more reliable list can be found on Steve Kangas's website.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/CIAtimeline.html

Steve apparently committed suicide in 1999. That probably means his list is more accurate than the one you quote.

From Kangas' article exposing CIA "atrocities":

Remnants of the Guard will become the Contras, who fight a CIA-backed guerilla war against the Sandinista government throughout the 1980s.

The people of Nicauragua are, of course, happy that the Sandinistas, led by a child abuser, were defeated.

I have said before the CIA's attempted (and actual?) assassinations were immoral, illegal and criminal.

Not every action or failure listed in the Kangas article can be considered an "atrocity". Even the Iran/Contra funding issue may have been illegal since it violated an idiotic congressional law, but it was hardly an "atrocity" by the normal usage of the term.

During the Cold War, the CIA committed a whole range of actions. Some were criminal; some illegal (although possibly not criminal); some were stupid; but some were worthwhile and necessary, and protected the freedom we have to protest actions of our government. Consider, for instance, the CIA's discovery (or confirmation) of the missiles in Cuba.

Do you think I should submit a bill to the Porter Goss for the above?

Edited by Tim Gratz

But, John, you can bill the GRU (per Gerry) and Fidel as well.

But I suspect the CIA's budget is larger! Plus I ought to ask for at least something from the oil barons, given the price of oil these days!

Edited by Tim Gratz

But, John, you can bill the GRU (per Gerry) and Fidel as well.

But I suspect the CIA's budget is larger!  Plus I ought to ask for at least something from the oil barons, given the price of oil these days!

Gratz is probably only a self appointed ringer, but with a JFK line that they love down at Langley, I mean Denver....

:):ph34r::(:ph34r::ph34r:

James, can you identify and post the photo of the CIA bureaucrat whose sole responsibility was to come up with these names? (Tim Gratz)

Hi Tim,

The individual's name is classified as top secret but I did manage to secure this image of him below from the Agency's 'Let's Make A Word' department.

James

James, can you identify and post the photo of the CIA bureaucrat whose sole responsibility was to come up with these names? (Tim Gratz)

Hi Tim,

The individual's name is classified as top secret but I did manage to secure this image of him below from the Agency's 'Let's Make A Word' department.

James

James... you are a mess! That is freaking hilarious! :D

Although... now that I take a closer look... this dude looks A LOT like the guy standing at Main & Houston. I think we may have a break in the case!

Now wait a minute, the code name is easy, just reverse the letters:

G L ...Y

Must be the "G" man, Gordon Liddy, in his cookie monster disguise.

We all know Liddy was on "Miami Vice"; not it turns out who was also a star of "Sesame Street".

John will immediately conclude that James Henson was a part of Operation Mockingbird. Big bird, remember?

Edited by Tim Gratz

I wanted to comment that one of the reasons we appreciate humour here is due to the horrific nature of the topic we are researching. We need the few moments of comic relief. Clearly any such post is not intended to make light of the tragedy of the assassination. I want to add though that there are several funny passages in some of the assassination books and I thought it would be interesting to start a post to show some of the humour.