The Education Forum

Any pictures of Commerce Street?

I am reading Crossfire right now, and a Richard Carr describes a person in the TSBD as a heavyset man, wearing a hat, horn-rimmed glasses, and a tan sportscoat.

Any pictures of Commerce street out there? Carr says he saw him on Commerce street after the shooting.

I am reading Crossfire right now, and a Richard Carr describes a person in the TSBD as a heavyset man, wearing a hat, horn-rimmed glasses, and a tan sportscoat.

Any pictures of Commerce street out there?  Carr says he saw him on Commerce street after the shooting.

Drew,

I am not aware of any photographs taken on Commerce immediately after the assassination but as a curiosity, I post the following montage. One can see the Colony Club and the Adolphus Hotel in these images.

FWIW.

James

The "triple overpass" at Dealy Plaza is where the railroad tracks passed over three streets: Elm, Main, and Commerce. I'm not 100% sure about my directional orientation, but I believe Elm was one-way westbound, and it was the northernmost street; Main was the center street in the overpass; and Commerce was the southernmost street in the overpass, and it was one-way eastbound.

So, from the TSBD/Dealy Plaza location, one would merely have to cross two nearly parallel streets--at the overpass--to be on Commerce street.

The arrows mark one way streets (as of 1990, the date of the Atlas)

The "triple overpass" at Dealy Plaza is where the railroad tracks passed over three streets: Elm, Main, and Commerce.  I'm not 100% sure about my directional orientation, but I believe Elm was one-way westbound, and it was the northernmost street; Main was the center street in the overpass; and Commerce was the southernmost street in the overpass, and it was one-way eastbound.

So, from the TSBD/Dealy Plaza location, one would merely have to cross two nearly parallel streets--at the overpass--to be on Commerce street.

Edited by Shanet Clark