D. Shanet Clark

shanetclark@yahoo.com

Degree:

B.A., History, summa cum laude, Georgia State University, Atlanta

Current Program:

Graduate Program in History, Georgia State University, Atlanta

Areas of Interest:

U.S. Political History, 1607-1865

Political and Economic Geography of Virginia and West Virginia.

Nineteenth Century Culture, U.S Political Events 1920-1980.

Minor in Political Science, Interest in Map Geography.

Awards:

E.I. Woodruff Fellowship in Southern History, GSU, (Cash Award) 2003-2004

GSU History Department and Middle East Center: Graduate Assistant, (Cash Award) 2003-2004

Malone History Scholarship, GSU, (Cash Award) 2002

Dean’s Key and Faculty Scholar, GSU, 2001-2002

Honors History Student of the Year, Georgia Perimeter College GPC (Cash Award) 2001

United States Senate Youth Scholarship (Cash Award - 1 of 100 nationwide) and the

William Randolph Hearst Scholarship (Cash Award) Marshall University 1986.

99th Percentile – Graduate Records Exam, Verbal Test, 2002 (GRE 760/610)

99th Percentile – College Level Equivalency Exam, CLEP, English (British) Literature

Conference Presentations:

“Seceding from Secession: Strategic and Geographic Factors in the

Political History of Virginia and West Virginia, 1800 -1863” (Presented at:)

The Georgia Interdisciplinary Conference; UGA Athens, GA, February 21, 2004

The Florida Historians’ Conference; Lake City, Florida, March 3, 2004

The Organization of American Historians’ Southern Regional Conference; Atlanta, July 17, 2005

VPI Blacksburg, Va. Graduate Conference (April 2005)

New England Historical Association annual conference (April 2005, Regis College, Boston)

Archival and Special Collections Research:

“Executive Order 12036: President Carter Restructures the Intelligence Community”

Jimmy Carter Library, Atlanta.

Revised under Peer Review for Presidential Studies Quarterly

Teaching Experience:

Welfare to Work Adult Literacy Program, Fayette County, KY, 1992-1995

High School At-Risk Dropout Prevention Program Teacher, Lexington KY, 1992-1995

Active Memberships:

Organization of American Historians

American Historical Association

Southern Historical Association

National Council for History Education

Thanks to all members of the international EDUCATION FORUM for your support.

Edited by Shanet Clark

Great cv and great picture and great countryside, Shanet!

Thanks Tim.

The photo was taken in the Great Valley of Virginia, a farm region between the Allegheny Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains, near Staunton.

The purpose of this topic posting is twofold:

One, to establish my credentials with participating FORUM readers; and

Two, this links the name I was known by for many years with my current postings.

{It is essentially a search engine tactic for my former associates.......}

Thanks for the support,

Shanet Clark / Shan Clark

PHOTOS NOT VISIBLE? CLICK ON PHRASE: "SHAN CLARK FULL VERSION" scribners.org

Edited by Shanet Clark

Great cv and great picture and great countryside, Shanet!

Thanks Tim.

The photo was taken in the Great Valley of Virginia, a farm region between the Allegheny Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains, near Staunton.

The purpose of this topic posting is twofold:

One, to establish my credentials with participating FORUM readers; and

Two, this links the name I was known by for many years with my current postings.

{It is essentially a search engine tactic for my former associates.......}

Thanks for the support,

The photo was taken in the Great Valley of Virginia, a farm region between the Allegheny Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains, near Staunton

Hey Shan,

You're making me homesick for my family's annual summer roadtrips to my Grandma Katie's farm in Alabama. Beautiful country through those Appalachians. I used to love coming up over Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge, on our last leg of the trip, crossing over the TVA, and riding down through Ft. Oglethorpe, after crossing over the state lines of Tennessee, Georgia, and on into Alabama.

Shanet Clark / Shan Clark

IF PHOTOS ARE NOT VISIBLE PLEASE CLICK ON THE PHRASE: "FULL VERSION"

^_^

There are places in Wisconsin that look like that! (Not that I miss Wisconsin--love the Keys!!). But it is beautiful country indeed.

Re Terry's post, anyone who is in that area ought to see Lookout Mountain. Spectacular views and full, of course, of civil war history.

Since things are quiet (and silly) around here I will tell you all the story of

SHANET CLARK'S TRIP TO THE CIA

In 1979 I was one of one hundred (two from every state) high school students selected as a William Randolph Hearst United States Senate Youth Scholar.

We traveled to Washington DC, for a week, that spring.

Mrs. Randolph Hearst (Patricia's mother, I believe) greeted us and we stayed at the Mayflower Hotel. As official Senate scholars we spent time with US Senators, and had a full schedule of events. We went to briefings at the PENTAGON, the WAR COLLEGE, Foggy Bottom (the State Department HQ), Justice, the Supreme Court (Thurgood Marshall spoke to us) and the White House. Jimmy Carter was scheduled to address us, but was busy with the Iranian hostage situation, and a speech writer filled in. I have a nice photo of me with BIRCH BAYH, and another one with JENNINGS RANDOLPH and ROBERT BYRD.

One day we all went to Langley, Virginia for a session at the CIA headquarters.

They checked our ID's at the door and we were ushered into an auditorium. It was very fancy, a perfect geodesic dome, trimmed in black and white.

The chairs were black Corinthian leather, and we were very comfortable.

A Public Relations officer of the CIA took the podium, with a more senior office of to one side with Mrs. Hearst. Some general remarks were made, which I would categorize as innocuous and we were, indirectly of course, recruited.

At the question and answer period, I rose from my seat and was recognized.

"Is it true that in the early 1960's a decision was made to place a portable radar installation on the Chinese Indian border along the Himalayan Mountains? Isn't it true that the CIA sent mountain climbers to the Himalayan border area with a portable radar set powered by the heat released by a plutonium device? And isn't it also true that the team returned a year later and could not find the device, as it had been lost in an avalanche of some sort? And isn't it also true that the PLUTONIUM has not been recovered and is now melting its way deeper into the snow at the headwaters of the Ganges River, where it will affect the health of billions of people?" That was the question I asked.

The young CIA public relations officer at the podium there at CIA headquarters looked quite shocked and was, in fact, stunned into silence.

The older CIA officer walked to the podium, frowning slightly at Mrs. Randolph Hearst.

"You, young man, have very good sources of intelligence. The situation you describe is basically true, although the nation of India has taken full responsibilty for this in a 1964 treaty."

So thats the way I was then, and that's the way I am now..........

:D

Since things are quiet (and silly) around here I will tell you all the story of

SHANET CLARK'S TRIP TO THE CIA

In 1979 I was one of one hundred (two from every state) high school students selected as a William Randolph Hearst United States Senate Youth Scholar.

We traveled to Washington DC, for a week, that spring.

Mrs. Randolph Hearst (Patricia's mother, I believe) greeted us and we stayed at the Mayflower Hotel. As official Senate scholars we spent time with US Senators, and had a full schedule of events. We went to briefings at the PENTAGON, the WAR COLLEGE, Foggy Bottom (the State Department HQ), Justice, the Supreme Court (Thurgood Marshall spoke to us) and the White House. Jimmy Carter was scheduled to address us, but was busy with the Iranian hostage situation, and a speech writer filled in. I have a nice photo of me with BIRCH BAYH, and another one with JENNINGS RANDOLPH and ROBERT BYRD.

One day we all went to Langley, Virginia for a session at the CIA headquarters.

They checked our ID's at the door and we were ushered into an auditorium. It was very fancy, a perfect geodesic dome, trimmed in black and white.

The chairs were black Corinthian leather, and we were very comfortable.

A Public Relations officer of the CIA took the podium, with a more senior office of to one side with Mrs. Hearst. Some general remarks were made, which I would categorize as innocuous and we were, indirectly of course, recruited.

At the question and answer period, I rose from my seat and was recognized.

"Is it true that in the early 1960's a decision was made to place a portable radar installation on the Chinese Indian border along the Himalayan Mountains? Isn't it true that the CIA sent mountain climbers to the Himalayan border area with a portable radar set powered by the heat released by a plutonium device? And isn't it also true that the team returned a year later and could not find the device, as it had been lost in an avalanche of some sort? And isn't it also true that the PLUTONIUM has not been recovered and is now melting its way deeper into the snow at the headwaters of the Ganges River, where it will affect the health of billions of people?"  That was the question I asked.

The young CIA public relations officer at the podium there at CIA headquarters looked quite shocked and was, in fact, stunned into silence.

The older CIA officer walked to the podium, frowning slightly at Mrs. Randolph Hearst.

"You, young man, have very good sources of intelligence. The situation you describe is basically true, although the nation of India has taken full responsibilty for this in a 1964 treaty."

So thats the way I was then, and that's the way I am now..........

:D

Shanet-

That sounds like a pretty cool trip. And as far as your comments at Langley... NICE!

So basically, you've been on THE LIST since '79. Equally impressive. :D