The Education Forum

What?

This is strange. It would be interesting to know what the text in question contains that has the group so concerned. I would tend to think these folks are just nuts, but the article mentions that they are a PAC. I wish it went into more detail about this group. Maybe it's nothing sinister. Any thoughts? :unsure:

THE BOROWITZ REPORT

Monday, May 30, 2005

A political-action group in the state of Kansas is applying pressure on the Kansas State Board of Education to ban any and all references to the 20th century from school textbooks, a spokesman for the group confirmed today. The move to ban the 20th century came up in a series of contentious school-board hearings as the group loudly complained that the state’s current textbooks are rife with references to the controversial century, which they say may or may not have happened.

"These textbooks state unequivocally that the 20th century occurred, as if that were a proven historic fact," said Gordon Lavalier, the group’s leader and spokesman.

"The simple truth is, the 20th century is and has always been nothing but a theory."

If the group gets its way, starting in the fall of 2005, Kansas students would be taught from newly reconstituted history books that end with the year 1899. Among students at Kansas City’s John F. Kennedy High School, which the group has demanded be renamed William Jennings Bryan High School, reaction to the ban on the 20th century was mixed.

"If the 20th century didn’t happen, does that mean I have to give up my iPod?" asked junior Carolynn Bevins, 17.

But sophomore Zach Golloway, 16, was more upbeat about the news: "If it means that we have to learn a hundred less years of history, that would rule!"

Edited by Greg Wagner

I think Greg has the date wrong. The correct date must be April 1, 2005.

Seriously, the 210th century was unusual. Terrible wars; terrible atrocities, e.g.. the Holocaust, of course), and yet great scientific progress.

Let us hope that the 21st century, which did not get off to the best start, has more progress and less political violence!

Guest Stephen Turner

Has'nt Pol Pot already tried this? Seriously though, the political situation at the

moment is beyond satire, as John Bird, the english political humorist said way back

" Maggie Thatcher is beyond satire,as soon as I make it up, she tops it"

Echoing Descartes, "cogito ergo sum."

But if these folks are correct...since I was allegedly born in the 20th century...then can I conclude that "I am, but I never was"???

Ah, logic...

Some folks argue that the moon landing never occurred; others, that the Holocaust didn't happen. How much greater a leap, then, to insist that an entire century is a lie?

If ignorance is bliss, there are some really happy folks in Kansas, apparently.

Dan Quayle may be behind this. He once stated, "I wasn't born in the 20th century." (Indeed I always thought that Quayle was in the wrong place at the wrong time.)