The Education Forum

C. Douglas Dillon and the Assassination of JFK

John wrote:

No. Just a fellow member of the Republican Party.

Har-umph!  Fine Republican he was, serving in the Kennedy Administration.

And had he not backed down during the negotiations over the Cuban missile crisis, JFK might indeed have invaded Cuba and solved the Castro problem in October of 1962, making him a hero.  (Khruschev would never have gone to war over Fidel.)

And then, in my opinion, JFK would have lived and won re-election in 1964 (either because Castro did it and he would have been gone or because anti-Castro Cubans killed JFK and had JFK solved the Cuban problem in 1962 the anti-Castro Cubans would presumably have forgiven him for the BOP).

Tim,

Er, wouldn't it be polite to consult with the Cuban people before you "invade Cuba and solve the Castro problem"?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I rest my case that a man who would oppose a sneak attack on our nation's enemies would not authorize a murder against his friend the President?

Tim, I fail to see how you can reach an "if/therefore" relationship between the first part of your statement and the second.

What if I said "May I rest my case that a man who would oppose using ketchup on french fries would not authorize its use on a hamburger"?? Would it be any less logical...or less true?? Perhaps the man who enjoys his french fries sans ketchup also enjoys the taste of ketchup on his burger; my point is, we cannot logically deduce the second merely from the first premise.

Therefore, your argument is baseless.

I STILL don't think Dillon had an active hand in the assassination...but your arguments are becoming weaker, logically speaking, as time goes on.

Mark Knight:

My point was that Dillon was willing to listen to reason and adopt the more liberal JFK-RFK line toward Cuba than the right wing militarists.

Corollary point: Dillon apparently had no policy differences with JFK.

Now I don't think policy difference constitute a motive for murder but for those who do my point is that Dillon was a supporter of JFK and RFK, not General LeMay and the other Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Therefore, Dillon had no conceivable motive.

The other point is the fact that Dillon was persuaded by RFK's moral point demonstates that he was an ethical man. Ethical men do not murder.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Ethical men do not murder.

Didn't Marc Antony say something like that? "But Brutus was an ethical man, and ethical men do not murder."

Ethical men murder all day long. Only when an ethical man murders, he calls it a police action and calls his victims "terrorists" or "insurgents."

Mark Stapleton wrote:

Er, wouldn't it be polite to consult with the Cuban people before you "invade Cuba and solve the Castro problem"?

Mark, I am sure that even before the release of the BOP prisoners the Kennedys were speaking to Cuban exiles.

And I suspect some members know I was being half-facetious. he Cuban missile crisis certainly put the "weight of the world" on JFK's shoulders and while one can argue, as some have, that JFK's Operation Mongoose caused the introduction of the missile into Cuba, nevertheless from my reading the tapes of the meetings over ther missile crisis and other related material I would concur with most historians that JFK's handling of the missile crisis demonstrated great statesmanship.

Tim:

Actually, it would be easier to speculate on Dylan than Dillon because Dillon was a friend of JFK.

Robert:

If so, AJ Weberman would have found some evidence in Bob Dylan's garbage, surely..... 

From Dylan's address to NECLC: "I've got George Lincoln Rockwell's tie clip that somebody robbed for me. I have General Walker's car trunk keys - keys to his trunk that somebody robbed for me. Now these are my presents." You need to explain Robert, what he received these presents for.

However, I think the following quotes from Dylan poems on the assassination, translated into Italian by Michele Murino, then back into English by Google, hold the key to Dylan as #1 suspect:

(Amazing that Weberman never picked up on this...)

"then a race man has arrived..." A race man, indeed! Pick a DPD officer...

how to make can this hero image go?

everybody aint to hero... Rubinstein changed his name to Ruby... read about being a hero. Zimmerman changed his name to Dylan... wrote about hero images...

And just like Ruby, he felt real bad for Mrs K..."Respect you the Mrs Kennedy

but the need not pictures t provide the respect...

my respect springs from reasons in my soul

of which the cant touch

nor explain... "

I think Tim is getting closer to the truth all the time. And no wonder! Have you ever seen anyone work harder?

By golly, Greg, I think you've got it man!

And also remember this: Dylan's greatest fan (of his garbage anyway) tries to deflect attention away from the real culprit by blaming it on Angleton, Hemming and Hunt!

Which one of the tramps was Dylan, BTW?

Mark

As Robert pointed out, Brutus was Caesar's friend. Any student of history knows that, occasionally, friends do kill friends---where's your common sense?

In its initial coverage of the assassination, the (now defunct) Sydney Sunday Mirror mentioned a sign from a protester on the parade route which said simply: "U2 Brutus".

Just thought I'd throw that in... never have seen it mentioned anywhere else.

But Greg you just proved, to my satisfaction, anyway, that it was Dylan not Dillon!  (Course I tend to gravitate toward left-wing culprits.)

Tim,

Yes, I thought that level of evidence would be enough to sway you.

Truth is, I have a long-standing interest in a friend of Dylan's (please don't translate that as an accusation he was a conspirator, though) :)

You may be familiar with the name Phillip Abbott Luce?

Heavily involved in the student trips to Cuba

Wrote a book called "Road to Revolution"

A leader of the party he belonged to was quoted in the New York World Telegram as saying: "We'd assassinate the President if it suited our ends. Don't think we

couldn't do it."

His description fit that of a person sought by the FBI in relation to Oswald's brief time in NY on his return from USSR.

Wrote for The Communist Worker under a number of pseudonyms.

He famously "defected" to the other end of the political spectrum, writing a book with the help of HUAC denouncing the New Left. Among conservative groups he became involved with was the YAF.

Admitted in article - again denouncing his past - that he was helping to "secrete"

guns in New York prior to his "defection".

In an interview I conducted with a credible witness known to have met Oswald, I was told that he said (just prior to going to Mexico City) that he was going to New York. This witness further informed me that in discussing this with Oswald, he at first said it was to conduct "important business", adding that he was also going to obtain a rifle there.

I think Luce was probably a plant in the New Left all along. Had Oswald lived and not been convicted, maybe a similar "defection" to the right may have occurred?

"There is no Left Wing - no Right Wing

Only Up Wing and Down Wing"

Bob Dylan

Edited by Greg Parker

Some material on the relationship between IG Farben, Dupont, Dillon and the Bush family............

Walter S. Carpenter, Jr. had been chairman of the finance committee of the Du Pont Corporation (1930-40). In 1933, Carpenter oversaw Du Pont's purchase of Remington Arms from Sam Pryor and the Rockefellers, and led Du Pont into partnership with the Nazi I.G. Farben Company for the manufacture of explosives. Carpenter became Du Pont's president in 1940. His cartel with the Nazis was broken up by the U.S. government. Nevertheless, Carpenter remained Du Pont's president as the company's technicians participated massively in the Manhattan Project to produce the first atomic bomb. He was chairman of Du Pont from 1948 to 1962, retaining high-level access to U.S. strategic activities.

Walter Carpenter and Prescott Bush were fellow activists in the Mental Hygiene Society. Originating at Yale University in 1908, the movement had been organized into the World Federation of Mental Health by Montagu Norman, himself a frequent mental patient, former Brown Brothers partner and Bank of England Governor. Norman had appointed as the federation's chairman, Brigadier John Rawlings Rees, director of the Tavistock Psychiatric Clinic, chief psychiatrist and psychological warfare expert for the British intelligence services. Prescott was a director of the society in Connecticut; Carpenter was a director in Delaware.

Paul Mellon was the leading heir to the Mellon fortune, and a long-time neighbor of Averell Harriman's in Middleburg, Virginia, as well as Jupiter Island, Florida. Paul's father, Andrew Mellon, U.S. Treasury Secretary 1921-32, had approved the transactions of Harriman, Pryor and Bush with the Warburgs and the Nazis. Paul Mellon's son-in-law, David K.E. Bruce, worked in Prescott Bush's W.A. Harriman & Co. during the late 1920s; was head of the London branch of U.S. intelligence during World War II; and was Averell Harriman's Assistant Secretary of Commerce in 1947-48. Mellon family money and participation would be instrumental in many domestic U.S. projects of the new Central Intelligence Agency.

Carl Tucker manufactured electronic guidance equipment for the Navy. With the Mellons, Tucker was an owner of South American oil properties. Mrs. Tucker was the great aunt of Nicholas Brady, later George Bush's Iran-Contra partner and U.S. Treasury Secretary. Their son Carll Tucker, Jr. (Skull and Bones 1947), was among the 15 Bonesmen who selected George Bush for induction in the class of 1948.

C.Douglas Dillon was the boss of William H. Draper, Jr. in the Draper-Prescott Bush-Fritz Thyssen Nazi banking scheme of the 1930s and 40s. His father, Clarence Dillon, created the Vereinigte Stahlwerke (Thyssen's German Steel Trust) in 1926. C. Douglas Dillon made Nicholas Brady the chairman of the Dillon Read firm in 1971 and himself continued as chairman of the executive committee. C. Douglas Dillon would be a vital ally of his neighbor Prescott Bush during the Eisenhower administration.

Publisher Nelson Doubleday headed his family's publishing firm, founded under the auspices of J.P. Morgan and other British Empire representatives. When George Bush's `` Uncle Herbie '' died, Doubleday took over as majority owner and chief executive of the New York Mets baseball team.

George W. Merck,chairman of Merck & Co., drug and chemical manufacturers, was director of the War Research Service: Merck was the official chief of all U.S. research into biological warfare from 1942 until at least the end of World War II. After 1944, Merck's organization was placed under the U.S. Chemical Warfare Service. His family firm in Germany and the U.S. was famous for its manufacture of morphine.

A.L. Cole was useful to the Jupiter Islanders as an executive of Readers Digest. In 1965, just after performing a rather dirty favor for George Bush (see Chapter 9), Cole became chairman of the executive committee of the Digest, the world's largest-circulation periodical.

From the late 1940s, Jupiter Island has served as a center for the direction of covert action by the U.S. government and, indeed, for the covert management of the government. Jupiter Island will reappear later on, in our account of George Bush in the Iran-Contra affair.

:ph34r::ph34r::):blink::hotorwot:ph34r::ph34r:

• 7 months later...

During my research for my Assassination, Terrorism and the Arms Trade: The Contracting Out of U.S. Foreign Policy: 1940-1990 paper I have discovered some interesting connections between Tommy Corcoran and C. Douglas Dillon.

According to Drew Pearson, Tommy Corcoran played an important role in getting James Forrestal into government. He claims he did this on behalf of C. Douglas Dillon, who wanted to “have a man in the White House”. (1) In August, 1940 President Roosevelt was appointed under secretary of the navy with special responsibility for procurement and production. In April 1944, Forrestal became the new Secretary of the Navy. Forrestal held the post until September 1947 when he became Secretary of Defence.

It was in this post that Forrestal became America’s leading Cold War warrior. Pearson became convinced that Forrestal was taking this position in order to make money out of the threat of war. Pearson had discovered that Forrestal, while working for Dillon, Read & Co., in the inter-war years had loaned “hundreds of millions to the German cartels of the Ruhr during the pre-Hitler period, reviving industries which were to form the backbone of Hitler’s war machine.” Pearson believed that “Forrestal was a Trojan Horse of the Right lodged inside the highest counsels of a professedly liberal Democratic Administration.” (2)

Pearson revealed in his newspaper column that Forrestal had developed a close relationship with military dictatorships in Latin America. He was especially concerned about the help Forrestal was giving to Anastasio Somoza in Nicaragua and Rafael Trujillo in the Dominican Republic. Pearson wrote:

“Practically all Latin America is watching the State Department to see what we do about recognizing the new Army dictatorship in Venezuela... the State Department's trigger-recognition of Latin dictators has brought forth a rash of military revolts, the latest being the Nicaraguan-inspired march against the peaceful government of Costa Rica...

Secretary of Defense Forrestal still favors his plan of sending more arms to Latin America under a new lend-lease agreement, despite the fact that new arms to Latin American generals are like a toy train to a small boy at Christmastime. They can't wait to use them - usually against their own President.

General Somoza, the Nicaraguan who has now inspired the fracas in Costa Rica, was trained by the US Marines, later seized the Presidency of Nicaragua. President Trujillo, worst dictator in all Latin America, was also trained by the US Marines. Unfortunately, under the Forrestal-Marine Corps program, we train men to shoot and give them the weapons to shoot with. But we don't give them any ideas or ideals as to what they should shoot for.” (3)

Tommy Corcoran and I. Irving Davidson were lobbyists for these Latin America dictators. In fact, in 1954, Corcoran was to play an important role in the CIA overthrow of Jacobo Arbenz Guzman in Guatemala (while working as a lobbyist for United Fruit). (4)

Harry S. Truman also became concerned about the activities of Forrestal and on 28th March 1949 he forced him to resign from office. Two months later, James Forrestal committed suicide by throwing himself out of a 16th-floor hospital window.

I have written earlier of how Phil Graham successfully persuaded John F. Kennedy to appoint C. Douglas Dillon as Secretary of the Treasury. (5) What I did not know was that another of Corcoran’s clients, Steve Bechtel, was also campaigning behind the scenes for JFK to appoint Dillon. The other person he was trying to get into the administration was John A. McCone, who was another one of Corcoran’s clients. (6) McCone of course was appointed as Director of the CIA in 1961.

1. Drew Pearson, Diaries: 1949-1959, 1974 (page 40)

2. Jack Anderson, Confessions of a Muckraker, 1979 (page 127)

3. Drew Pearson, Washington Merry-Go-Round (15th December, 1948)

4. David McKean, Peddling Influence, 2004 (page 219)

5. Katharine Graham, Personal History, 1997 (page 292)

6. Laton McCartney, Friends in High Places, 1988 (page 138)

John, is it clear that Forrestal's suicide was indeed a suicide?

Also, since Forrestal was a member of Dillon's firm there is certainly nothing curious about Dillon using persuasion and influence to get his friend a high position in government. This happens every day of the week. Every business person likes to have "friends in high places". What brokerage firm or law firm would not like to have a former partner in a president's cabinet?

And for the umpteenth time, CDDDNotDI!

Edited by Tim Gratz

John, is it clear that Forrestal's suicide was indeed a suicide?

Also, since Forrestal was a member of Dillon's firm there is certainly nothing curious about Dillon using persuasion and influence to get his friend a high position in government. This happens every day of the week. Every business person likes to have "friends in high places". What brokerage firm or law firm would not like to have a former partner in a president's cabinet?

And for the umpteenth time, CDDDNotDI!

And for the umteenth time, his involvement can't be ruled out Tim. He had a lot of connections. Just let the research run its course.

Namebase entry for D. Douglas Dillon

http://www.namebase.org/main1/C-Douglas-Dillon.html

Adams,S. War of Numbers. 1994 (218)

Andrew,J. Power to Destroy. 2002 (78, 90)

Bamford,J. Body of Secrets. 2001 (52, 60-1)

Barnet,R. Mueller,R. Global Reach. 1974 (251)

Bird,K. The Chairman. 1992 (499)

Bird,K. The Color of Truth. 1998 (103)

Blum,W. The CIA: A Forgotten History. 1986 (183)

Blumenthal,S. Yazijian,H. Government by Gunplay. 1976 (246)

Bradlee,B. A Good Life. 1995 (143-4, 205)

Colby,G. Dennett,C. Thy Will Be Done. 1995 (326-7, 337, 361-2, 478, 585, 735, 789, 833)

Colby,G. DuPont Dynasty. 1984 (429-30)

Council on Foreign Relations. Annual Report. 1988 (2, 49, 106, 132, 135, 164)

Council on Foreign Relations. Annual Report. 2001 (2)

Council on Foreign Relations. Membership Roster. 2001

CounterSpy 1975-W (28)

Davis,D. Katharine the Great. 1987 (300)

Domhoff,G.W. The Higher Circles. 1971 (130, 132, 139, 345)

Domhoff,G.W. Who Rules America? 1967 (99)

Dye,T. Who's Running America? 1983 (90, 147)

EIR. Dope, Inc. 1992 (159)

Evanzz,K. The Judas Factor. 1992 (101-3, 263)

Fitzgerald,F. Way Out There in the Blue. 2000 (82)

Forbes 400 Richest Americans. 1985

Galiullin,R. The CIA in Asia. 1988 (22)

Garwood,D. Under Cover. 1985 (57)

Gibbs,D. The Political Economy of Third World Intervention. 1991 (92, 100, 117-8)

Green,S. Taking Sides. 1984 (138)

Guardian (New York) 1975-01-15 (3)

Hershman,D.J. Power Beyond Reason. 2002 (148)

Hinckle,W. Turner,W. The Fish is Red. 1981 (129)

Jeffreys-Jones,R. The CIA and American Democracy. 1989 (199)

Kelly,S. America's Tyrant. 1993 (36)

Kwitny,J. Endless Enemies. 1984 (57-8)

Kwitny,J. The Crimes of Patriots. 1987 (24)

Lobster Magazine (Britain) 1986-#12 (23)

Lundberg,F. The Rich and the Super-Rich. 1969 (206, 351)

Marchetti,V. Marks,J. The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence. 1974 (357)

McCartney,L. Friends in High Places. 1988 (112, 138)

Mintz,M. Cohen,J. America, Inc. 1971 (185, 337)

Mother Jones 1978-10 (33)

Mother Jones 1996-04 (53)

NACLA. The University-Military-Police Complex. 1970 (27)

National Reporter 1986-SU (45, 47)

New American Movement Newspaper 1975-02 (1)

New York Times 2003-01-12 (26)

Olmsted,K. Challenging the Secret Government. 1996 (49, 83)

Perloff,J. The Shadows of Power. 1988 (104, 111, 200, 202)

Quigley,C. Tragedy and Hope. 1966 (953)

Saloma,J. Ominous Politics. 1984 (125)

Sampson,A. The Money Lenders. 1982 (92, 98-9)

Sanders,J. Peddlers of Crisis. 1983 (156)

Saunders,F. The Cultural Cold War. 2000 (181-2)

Scott,P.D... The Assassinations: Dallas and Beyond. 1976 (495)

Shoup,L. Minter,W. Imperial Brain Trust. 1977 (61, 78, 86, 101, 108-9, 242, 302)

Silk,L.& M. The American Establishment. 1980 (144)

Simpson,C. The Splendid Blond Beast. 1993 (48)

Sklar,H. Trilateralism. 1980 (205)

Smith,J. The Idea Brokers. 1993 (125)

Smith,R.H. OSS. 1981 (23)

State Dept. United States Chiefs of Mission 1778-1973. 1973 (58)

Swanberg,W.A. Luce and His Empire. 1972 (370)

Tarpley,W.G. Chaitkin,A. George Bush. 1992 (54, 70, 75, 80, 289)

Thomas,E. The Very Best Men. 1996 (221)

Weissman,S. Trojan Horse. 1975 (26)

Wyden,P. Bay of Pigs. 1979 (73)

Yakovlev,N. CIA Target -- the USSR. 1984 (69)