The Education Forum

Lee Harvey Oswald

Thomas, In trying to understand 'cajun' and the background of the name Beauregard, I came across this facinating history of Beauregard Parish, Louisiana

http://www.library.beau.org/history/BPHistry/

Is this where Marguerites ancestors* came from?

JohnD

edit: *beauregard relations.

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting history. Jefferson Davis was one of the ringleaders in the coup which removed Lincoln, according to Thomas Buchanan in "Who killed Kennedy?"(1964).

Drawing parallels between the two assasinations, he describes how Davis, with Northern troops and imminent capture on the horizon, aided by his wife and her sister, emerged from his tent dressed as an old lady. Sadly, his army boots gave him away. He might have been Hoover's role model. ;)

Another coincidence--Jefferson Davis Tippit.

0510hoop.gif

Jeff. Davis Caught At Last. Hoop Skirts & Southern Chivalry. Philadelphia, J. L. Magee [1865]

Thomas, In trying to understand 'cajun' and the background of the name Beauregard, I came across this facinating history of Beauregard Parish, Louisiana

http://www.library.beau.org/history/BPHistry/

Is this where Marguerites ancestors* came from?

JohnD

edit: *beauregard relations.

The Claverie family is originally from Avoylles Parish, La.

However, they became a relative large family and thereafter spread.

There were also other members of the family who came over from France and settled in different areas as well.

In fact, members of the original families stayed in Cuba where their ship had stopped over.

Therefore, LHO actually had direct family members who were Cuban citizens.

Randy Decuir has one of the best listing for the original family.

http://we.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=...decuir&id=14456

Interesting history. Jefferson Davis was one of the ringleaders in the coup which removed Lincoln, according to Thomas Buchanan in "Who killed Kennedy?"(1964).

Drawing parallels between the two assasinations, he describes how Davis, with Northern troops and imminent capture on the horizon, aided by his wife and her sister, emerged from his tent dressed as an old lady. Sadly, his army boots gave him away. He might have been Hoover's role model. ;)

The Jefferson Davis wearing women's clothing to escape capture has been firmly disputed and completely discredited by the statements and testimonies of those who were present when he was actually captured.

It is somewhat like the "second assassin" in the JFK shooting.  A figment of the writings of someone who was not there and did not bother to check the facts.

Jefferson Davis Tippit is not "coincidence". His family tree goes straight back to Louisiana as well.

When I come across it in my boxes, I will post it, and although there are those who will claim that his name was only "J.D.", this too is disproven as somewhere, I have the documents which demonstrate that his name was in fact Jefferson Davis Tippit.

Either his father or Grandfather was U.G. (Ulysses Grant) Tippit, and so on.

They liked those type names in his family.

Tom

0510hoop.gif

Jeff. Davis Caught At Last. Hoop Skirts & Southern Chivalry. Philadelphia, J. L. Magee [1865]

For those who are not "of the South", and especially of the New Orleans, LA SOUTH, it is understandable why they have followed the many misleading statements as regards LHO and his background.

To those of us who are of the South, there is little difficulty in resolving exactly who and what LHO was, as well as who was responsiblie for much of his life.

First, the name:

Confederate General John Bell Hood, hero of Texas and the Confederacy, named one of his sons "Oswald Harvey Hood".

Later history (after 1963) has told us that this is incorrect and that the name of the son was "Oswald Harney Hood".

This "corrected" name came about only after LHO had assassinated JFK.

Nevertheless, at the time that LHO was born, history recorded the son of General John Bell Hood as being Oswald Harvey Hood.

The name "Oswald" came about as a result of "Oswald's Brigade" which was a German Brigade from Texas which served under General Hood during the Civil War.

Of course, Lee Harvey Oswald obtained the name "Lee", from his father.  Robert E. Lee Oswald, who thereafter named his first son (LHO's brother) Robert E. Lee Oswald as well.

And, the name "Harvey" is also a family name on the Oswald side of the family.

For those who have not been to New Orleans, LA and studied the history of this area, it is well worth the learning exercise.

A visit to "Lee Circle" in New Orleans for a Southerner is almost like a trip to Mecca for those of the Muslim faith.

Thereafer, to visit the Confederate Memorial where Jefferson Davis lay in state after having been exhumed from a New Orleans Cemetary for later reburial at Richmond, is somewhat revered as would be a trip to Rome and the Holy Cathedral.

This is the atmosphere in which LHO grew up.

LHO's mother, Marguerite Claverie, came from what was considered to be an upper class Cajun family.  However, due to various reasons, Marguerite's family remained quite poor.

A true understanding of exactly who and what LHO was can be understood only in understanding the south, and specifically New Orleans, LA.

And, this understanding can come about only as a result of understanding the area, it's history, and it's people and their family associations.

In this regard, one should begin their search in the listing of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers.  This search should begin with the names Claverie and Oswald for the immediate time being.

However, this is only the beginning of the search for the real LHO.

Tom

Tom, this is good , I had noticed his brothers name and speculated on its roots, the info on Oswald's brigade is new to me. I agree that an understanding involves understanding the south, many generations back. Much of my reading is aimed at getting such an understanding, so any more of this is good I think. I've looked into some of the other names and there are trends back to early immigration and even into what those families experienced in the old world that may have motivated them to move, and once in america why they tended to over time end up where they were in '63. The reconstruction after the civil war seems in some cases encourage a 'retreat' to deeper south, perhaps explaining a concentration of the type of person in dominance in Dallas by the time of the assassination. JohnD

Of greater interest, as well as sociological impact, is the occupation of and control over the populace of New Orleans by Federal Troops.

New Orleans was of course forced to surrender with virtually no physical damage to the city. There are several reasons, of which one is the fact that New Orleans was the financial center of the South with it's own Stock Exchange which had close and direct connections to the New York City and other Exchanges.

Nevertheless, this "occupation" by Northern Troops left a bitterness in the populace of New Orleans which few could understand.

As example, in the battle of Vicksburg, MS, Vicksburg fell on the 4th of July, 1863.

Thereafter, the City of Vicksburg, MS refused to celebrate the 4th of July as any form of holiday.

This continued until after WWII.

So, from 1863 until 1945, a total of 82 years, a grudge was held in which the people of Vicksburg, MS refused to celebrate Independence day of the Union.

Many of those Confederate Forces at Vicksburg who lost their lives were also from Louisiana.

And while they lost their life, those of great wealth in New Orleans, lost much of their wealth and prestige due to the loss of the war and occupation by Federal Forces.

Tom

P.S. P.G.T. Beauregard, Confederate hero of the battle of Ft. Sumpter, made his home at New Orleans.

And, after the end of the war, many of those Generals from the Confederacy settled here.

Frequently, in order to attempt to get those who are truely interested in research to do so, I have asked LHO related "trivia" questions.

In the event anyone has not found this prior, it is sometimes worthwhile.

So: Anyone know the connection(s) between LHO & P.G.T. Beauregard?

On December 6, 1889, Jefferson Davis, former President of the Confederate States of America, died at the New Orleans, LA home of Judge Charles E. Fenner.

Thus beginning another chain of events in history which ultimately resulted in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States of America.

Judge Charles E. Fenner:

a. Son of a Confederate Officer/Doctor.

b. Founder of "Fenner's Battery" of the Louisiana Artillery/Confederate Officer himself.

c. Later associated with the "Washington Artillery" of New Orleans.

d. Father of Charles E. Fenner of the brokerage firm of "Pierce, Fenner, &

Beane" which later joined with the brokerage firm of Merrill Lynch.

e. Member of the Board of Trustees of Tulane University, along with a host of

other former Confederate veterans.

f. Grandfather of Darwin S. Fenner who defended Tulane University against

Federal mandated integration.

g. Partner in a New Orleans law firm with William Wirt Howe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In January 1963, Joseph Merrick Jones, President of the Administrators of the Tulane Educational Fund, announced that black students would be admitted into Tulane University beginning in February, 1963.

Joseph Merrick Jones was of the wealth and upper class of New Orleans Society, and had supported the integration of Tulane.

On March 11, 1963, Joseph Merrick Jones and his wife were killed in a fire that completely burned their surburban home in Metarie, LA.

The cause of he fire was never determined.

Historical Note: http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink/guillory3_box.htm

Shedding Light on Tulane History:

http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink/history_05a.htm

Desegregation and the "Ruling Class" in New Orleans

http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink/rulingclass_box.htm

Obscuring Tulane's Confederate Past

http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink/1834_box.htm

Administrators of the University of Louisiana

http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink/laboard_box.htm

A search and review for the administrators for Tulane University and their background histories will also reveal the Confederate heritage of Tulane.

Board of Tulane:

http://alumni.tulane.edu/potpourri/IIC.pdf

President's and Chairs of the Board of Tulane:

http://alumni.tulane.edu/potpourri/IIB.pdf

There are many names on these listings which one needs to know the background history of in order to place this all into it's historical content.

Tom

The Jefferson Davis wearing women's clothing to escape capture has been firmly disputed and completely discredited by the statements and testimonies of those who were present when he was actually captured.

It is somewhat like the "second assassin" in the JFK shooting.  A figment of the writings of someone who was not there and did not bother to check the facts.

Jefferson Davis Tippit is not "coincidence". His family tree goes straight back to Louisiana as well.

When I come across it in my boxes, I will post it, and although there are those who will claim that his name was only "J.D.", this too is disproven as somewhere, I have the documents which demonstrate that his name was in fact Jefferson Davis Tippit.

Tom

0510hoop.gif

Thomas,

The coincidence I was referring to was that Tippit, whose real role in the JFK/LHO scenario is still a matter for speculation, shared his first two names with the chief conspirator in the Lincoln assassination. Until I read Buchanan's book I hadn't realised that Lincoln's assassination was a conspiracy for which four people were hanged and several others recieved long sentences.

Thank you for taking the time to post this information Tom, a fascinating look at the "Old South" I await your next lesson with interest.

I tell one and all! If you want to know something then research it for yourself.

What I have to say is irrelevant.

What the facts and history says are something which one can usually rely on.

I am merely providing the information. If you have questions regarding sources, etc; then let me know.

Otherwise, I would ask all to look at the information for themselves and judge the value of the information the same.

Tom

Tom

0510hoop.gif

Thomas,

The coincidence I was referring to was that Tippit, whose real role in the JFK/LHO scenario is still a matter for speculation, shared his first two names with the chief conspirator in the Lincoln assassination. Until I read Buchanan's book I hadn't realised that Lincoln's assassination was a conspiracy for which four people were hanged and several others recieved long sentences.

Somewhere, I have something which provides at least one "link in the chain" as regards J.D. Tippit & his role.

When I come to the Tippit stuff in these boxes, I will provide it.

Your are of course aware that John Wilkes Booth starred in plays in New Orleans, LA during the occupation of the city by Federal troops.

Many are not aware of the attack on the Secretary of War (if recalled correctly) which occurred at the same time and was a part of the overall conspiracy plan.

Tom

Tom

0510hoop.gif

Thomas,

Somewhere, I have something which provides at least one "link in the chain" as regards J.D. Tippit & his role.

Your are of course aware that John Wilkes Booth starred in plays in New Orleans, LA during the occupation of the city by Federal troops.

Many are not aware of the attack on the Secretary of War (if recalled correctly) which occurred at the same time and was a part of the overall conspiracy plan.

Tom

Tom,

According to Buchanan, the Secretary of State, William H.Seward and the Vice President, Andrew Johnson, were supposed to be assassinated in conjunction with Lincoln. The man assigned to murder Seward was Lewis Powell, who had fought with the southern army. Powell's attempt, which bordered on being comical, was foiled by the presence of Seward's son, daughter and a male nurse being present in the Secretary's home at the time. Powell was captured and revealed details of the conspiracy. He was hanged on July 7, 1865. The man assigned to murder Johnson simply failed to summon the necessary courage on the day. His name was George Atzerodt, a spy for the Confederacy.

Drawing parallels between the two assasinations, he describes how Davis, with Northern troops and imminent capture on the horizon, aided by his wife and her sister, emerged from his tent dressed as an old lady. Sadly, his army boots gave him away. He might have been Hoover's role model. :D

Tom

0510hoop.gif

Thomas,

Tom

Tom,

According to Buchanan, the Secretary of State, William H.Seward and the Vice President, Andrew Johnson, were supposed to be assassinated in conjunction with Lincoln. The man assigned to murder Seward was Lewis Powell, who had fought with the southern army. Powell's attempt, which bordered on being comical, was foiled by the presence of Seward's son, daughter and a male nurse being present in the Secretary's home at the time. Powell was captured and revealed details of the conspiracy. He was hanged on July 7, 1865. The man assigned to murder Johnson simply failed to summon the necessary courage on the day. His name was George Atzerodt, a spy for the Confederacy.

It has been a long, long time since I read up on it, and only recalled that others were involved and were supposed to assassinate several of the Cabinet members or someone.

Seems as if one was going to attempt to do it with a knife.

Research into the JFK thing has taken me away from much of the other history and been a full time job in tracing down all of the links to this chain.

Tom

Tom

0510hoop.gif

Thomas,

Tom

Tom,

The St. Charles Theater's first season when reopening in 1864 had as one of its stars another member of the famous Booth family. Making his first appearance in New Orleans, John Wilkes Booth opened March 14, 1864 in Richard III.

http://www.saengeramusements.com/theatres/...le/stcharle.htm

Tom

0510hoop.gif

Thomas,

Tom

Tom,

The St. Charles Theater's first season when reopening in 1864 had as one of its stars another member of the famous Booth family. Making his first appearance in New Orleans, John Wilkes Booth opened March 14, 1864 in Richard III.

http://www.saengeramusements.com/theatres/...le/stcharle.htm

Tom

0510hoop.gif

I found my notes on one of the "links", but have not found my source materials yet.

I will post them when found.

Nevertheless, Jefferson Davis Tippit had worked for the Texas Theater as a Private Security guard prior to the date which LHO killed him.

He, Tippit' had been hired by the manager of the theater.

This information comes from the WC testimony/statement of one of the theater employees.

Somewhere, I also have the background data on the manager.

Another "link" in the chain, and one can be assured that these are not merely coincidence of fate.

Tom

P.S. May want to take a close look at the WC testimony of the Shoe Store manager/clerk who had nothing better to do.

If one will notice, he states clearly that he had seen LHO prior to this at the store.

Another link in the chain when one recognizes the employment history of Marguerite Claverie Oswald and LHO, and how they got their jobs selling shoes.

Thomas,

Hi Mark

I am not an expert on the Lincoln assassination but from my limited reading and knowledge of the Lincoln conspiracy I don't think it is by any means proven that, as you put it, the President of the Confederate States of America, Jefferson Davis, was the "chief conspirator in the Lincoln assassination."

Davis might have had some foreknowledge that the assassination was going to take place, as would other top Confederates, but he may not have been an active conspirator. As you may know, the original idea was to kidnap Lincoln not to assassinate him.

My sense is that Davis might have known more about the early stages of the planning of the kidnapping plot than the assassination that ultimately unfolded.

An additional factor could be that, although we tend to be cynical in these times in which we live, back then, the assassination of another head of state would probably have been viewed as odious by a fellow head of state, when we consider the gentleman's code of honor that was given lip service and I think actually followed by most educated gentlemen of the time.

Best regards

Chris George

Edited by Christopher T. George

"His name was his father's and grandfather's, after all. The Oswald family tree dated back to colonial times. He'd learned as a child that he was a fifth or sixth cousin of Gen. Robert E. Lee, which explained why he had been named Robert Edward Lee Oswald, Jr."

http://www.ardemgaz.com/prev/oswald/index.asp

Mr. Jenner: Did he ever talk about General Robert E. Lee or any possible relationship that he may have had in the distant past or association by name or---

Mr. Powers: It seems to me that there was--he was quite proud of Lee Harvey Oswald. There was some relationship there in the Civil War type of thing. I'm not sure what it was.

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/powers.htm

"I never heard Oswald make any anti-American or pro-Communist statements. He claimed to be named after Robert E. Lee, whom he characterized as the greatest man in history."

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/conner.htm