The Education Forum

Bill Decker (James Eric Decker)

As the thread is turning to Tower maybe some younger newer readers not from Texas are not familiar with him.  The first republican senator from Texas since reconstruction, elected to four terms, first in 1961.  His 1989 nomination for Secretary of Defense by GHW Bush did not go well.

How The Failed 1989 Confirmation Of John Tower Resonates Today | Texas Standard

Going back to Decker for a bit. He first really gained fame while still Chief Deputy Sheriff for Schmid in early 1946 in relation to Paul Roland Jones.  Anybody remember him in relation to Jack Ruby?

Jones later told the FBI that DeJohn (no mustard jokes) wanted him to survey the area as to the possibility of taking over gambling.  "Soon more Windy City operatives were turning up in Dallas and Deputy Sheriff Decker had seen enough."  He and deputies rounded up Jones and three other of them, charged them with vagrancy, jailed them for two days, drove them to the county line and instructed them to keep going.  

"This ended, for a while at least any infiltration by the Chicago machine."  Ever the publicity-savvy lawman, Decker had thought to have a newspaper photographer standing by when one of his deputies loaded the four 'grimy and heavy bearded from two days in jail' into the car. 

"The expulsion added to Decker's legend . . . who could order them out of town by sundown.  They were told to get out and stay out, the ever-obliging Morning News  reported.

Jones came back when Steve Guthrie was elected Sherrif in later 1946.

Edited by Ron Bulman

On 2/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Going back to Decker for a bit. He first really gained fame while still Chief Deputy Sheriff for Schmid in early 1946 in relation to Paul Roland Jones.  Anybody remember him in relation to Jack Ruby?

Jones later told the FBI that DeJohn (no mustard jokes) wanted him to survey the area as to the possibility of taking over gambling.  "Soon more Windy City operatives were turning up in Dallas and Deputy Sheriff Decker had seen enough."  He and deputies rounded up Jones and three other of them, charged them with vagrancy, jailed them for two days, drove them to the county line and instructed them to keep going.  

"This ended, for a while at least any infiltration by the Chicago machine."  Ever the publicity-savvy lawman, Decker had thought to have a newspaper photographer standing by when one of his deputies loaded the four 'grimy and heavy bearded from two days in jail' into the car. 

"The expulsion added to Decker's legend . . . who could order them out of town by sundown.  They were told to get out and stay out, the ever-obliging Morning News  reported.

Jones came back when Steve Guthrie was elected Sherrif in later 1946.

In late 1946 Decker, through another gambler they both trusted of his level told Binon he needed to get out of the state or he would end up dead or in jail (state charges were pending).  Binny took a million bucks' cash and headed to Vegas. 

Also, in late 1946 new sheriff Guthrie was approached by Jones about building a restaurant/gambling established to be run by Ruby.  Guthrie would receive several thousand a year.  He set Jones up, recorded it all.  Jones went to the Texas penitentiary for three years.

Last, in late 1946 Jacob Rubenstein, already going by Jack Ruby, moved to Big D and legally changed his name to Jack Leon Ruby.  Sparky had arrived for his destiny.

Decker was elected sheriff in 1948.

I hate books not having a name/subject index.  But I do love good documentation.  Which is the case with Betrayal in Dallas by Mark North.  I was not convinced LBJ and the Pearl Street Mafia killed JFK.  The Wade letters to LBJ are fascinating, the RFK/Justice investigation documents are compelling.  But, to the exhibit's, page 237.

Dallas-based Italian-American social club, the Anonymous Club met every Thursday at a house in Northwest Dallas (for dinner, business, conversation and poker, illegal at the time. Membership included Dallas Mob boss Joe Civello.  . . . Club name was changed to Zuroma Club in 1958, after Civello's arrest at national Mob summit meeting (Appalachian) in New York.  Weekly guest list was published in locally circulated Texas Tribune, an Italian-American news letter.  From copies of the guest lists:

January 27, 1947.  Anonymous Club.  New members voted into the club at this meeting are Joe Civello.

May 3, 1958, Anonymous Club.  . . . guest list included, Judge Glenn Byrd, Joe Pool, (future Judge-see LBJ) Barefoot Sanders.

May 26, 1962, Zuroma (Club).  Host was Joe Civello, guest Sam Campisi.

July 7, 1962,  Zuroma.  Zuroma has been the scene of many interesting gatherings over the years.  Last week probably topped them all with his list of guest celebrities.  Among them were mayor Earle Cabbell, District Attorney Henry Wade, Sheriff Bill Decker, Candidate for Congress Joe Pool. 

Decker got along.  Along with Binion, Civello, Joe Campisi and probably at least tolerated Ruby.  He got along with the mayor, a CIA asset, in turn likely his brother, fired from the CIA by JFK.  If you believe Roger Craig he told his Deputies to go down and watch the parade but, specifically, not to participate in his protection.  

I have to wonder if he might not have known in advance that something might happen to JFK, and for that matter, Oswald.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I had posted a little about Decker here forum member Paul Cummings PM'd me about a Decker document he'd come across but couldn't get to post here.  While it's not about the assassination I think it does confirm an odd (to me) connection in an odd way.

I don't know if this link will work or not.  It did allow me to enlarge the doc so I could read it but it wouldn't let me rotate it.  So, I just turned my laptop sideways for a minute to read it.

If it doesn't work, here's the gist of it.  January 6, 1965 Sherrif Bill Decker signed off and had notarized a form making H L Hunt a Dallas County Sherrif's Deputy.  

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8b30a7f74d&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1760250728290363153&th=186daab60f5ea711&view=att&disp=inline&saddbat=ANGjdJ9NPsNI_FuttMCF5m_ZRjkGdqOPQSRljQBPHrbstud3D2aEy0IGQk8MIL4H6vR66ChwQVLcmybuMwvewuK4olan50a-iyKO8ggdBfOA01kVcbKAcRg96sH-39jPcDF3IFdeDaxImdftJsm-FsFulrqEmT8-nD8HFMsQxWYE6zDOhEYGGatFCDF9ayPG92Ly5Alx-rWMEBq-orjAd6VAO5e7GohJX7MXe1C6kRkGOabL3oS8RN9IhOxCwwFZd_t9D90pFZz4wJCbSvh3YFUN4QtxwQn_eZb02q-jzdX0DqelLONKJcZQrOT4gxUafJJeYu7p4IfzqCi0NHwZ215dqhppUi6fo8E3l10AbCMtirArvOheYeZXYMLlqN00LggNsxxVsphZIjDRJAdDlia2DoKXyNYcK3-um222lNAwWlH_ZGeg5JhFKFIJVakwcQv5lHtZ4CWDEYDF2hQukcNvQM6J2zpP5YWKZPBQwCvYhOijCW4e7upPW6pVMBQc3-oeBZZrzUWNuLg1B1V7eIPAg6UKaHeqRu-pDm1s8WBY8nstZszAbtl4QNPzpkul7E-NsAFbnDZ4XmyS4Z7grKKKSIxG1QY0kZoL6jiWJX0PXeoKpuAm3xEjFwMf1gDX4T-DA46kD4VH3duUj1HiIgleyeuYNy-2jMm8FfK0iMP88aSReTwAR2dLKve6ajGMnKx-A1NKQ5vlA5dMDYALCIPrF40G-Muwq5imAQehJYCQciJLpXCr7uMRt5w2hA13J3CY7mwimnvZRjDGAk6IVLdi_q4st104wm92xNAKVjx473nQpmBQQmex6aJG0ZXea-qTLXpF0aTiXHVt2Rrgptn9lml_uDjENhvUZkhtWMMZE0kr2uMCG-qu7-1V5uyRzXACxe67dulBf4tnufydaIQuP_Fz32QkEyOTdzgTMXW4A1-sMYKTBGqSZBTrb2te9TEy4wo6VWagL-WCdZyqJbEidZs8AlnoRfr5wufmWMM7XQuyanfde-j718V284jCcwx1aLJCrwzrEDtT4D3r