The Education Forum

The Bullet

Tom, could this copper base have disappeared during the NAA tests performed by Dr. Guinn? I believe he removed some lead from the base for his tests.

According to the limited research which I have conducted in regards to the NAA work, the copper jacket was not removed by Dr. Guinn.

Somewhere, I have some notes in which is indicated that Dr. Guinn merely removed a small "core" from the center of the bullet at the base.

This core/drill hole is clearly observed in the HSCA photograph of the bullet (JFK Exhibit F-102) and is in the exact same location as where Gallagher initially removed a small sample of lead from the bullet base, as can now be seen in the FBI/National Archives photo of the base of the bullet.

With the photo's, a somewhat limited history of the base of the bullet can be placed into perspective.

1. The FBI/NA photo demonstrates the base portion of the copper jacket as being present, and a small, slightly irregular hole in the base of the lead core.

This irreguler hole, is, from my discussions with FBI Agent Gallagher, where he removed an extremely small sample from the base of the bullet for testing.

This depression/removal area is quite irregular and although I now wish that I had asked what type tool he utilized to remove the lead, my blinders were fully concentrated on the missing copper jacket.

2. The next photo of the bullet base, the enlarged photo which shows the copper jacket missing, also shows this area of removal of lead as done by Gallagher.

Again, this is not a "core".

3. Lastly, the HSCA photo demonstrates the base of the bullet with what is now a perfect "circle"/cored out area in the previous area of where Gallagher had removed a portion.

The HSCA photo was reportedly taken shortly after receipt of CE399 from the National Archives.

To date, no person can be found who removed this portion of the bullet. Just as no person can be found who actually cut the small slices into the nose of the bullet.

There are several "speculative reasons" for this manipulation of the evidence.

Since this topic has been started, may as well finish other aspects of "The Bullet" here as well.

"I could do what you have already done, but the results would be the same".

James R. Looney

Firearms & Toolmark Examiner

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

The data on CE#399 as well as all results of ballistic comparison testing was presented to Mr. Looney for his review in determination of the anomalies to CE#399.

Mr. Looney basically stated that there was little use in his wasting his time in going out to "re-prove" what the results of my ballistic work had already demonstrated.

As another avenue, this same information was presented to Former FBI Agent James Worrell, who basically stated: "What you have here is fact".

Time to talk about tree limb removal by the WC

During my initial visit to the home of Mr. Robert West in Dallas, TX, I was at the time fully aware of how CE399 had come to exist.

However, as previously discussed, it was unknown as to whether Mr. West was a part of the WC misrepresentation of the facts/lie/coverup (whatever one wishes to call it).

After length discussion with Mr. West, it became quite apparant that he was in no way involved in any of this.

Thereafter, we began to discuss aspects of what the WC had done and I began to explain the reasoning behind it.

When I got to that portion related to CE399 and what much of this was for, he certainly gave a good laugh.

Thereafter, he informed me of having observed members of the WC re-enactment group in the process of cutting and removing the limbs from the top of the live oak tree which is located directly in front of the TSDB.

Mr. West relayed that although the WC re-enactment work was in fact completed on May 24, 1963, his work was not completed.

On the morning of May 25, 1963, he (Mr. West) had returned to Dealy Plaza in order to get some additional information and measurements which were required in order to complete the Survey Plat. This information was relative to concrete structures, etc.

Upon entering Dealy Plaza, he observed members of the WC re-enactment group.

These persons had one of the "high-lift" buckets on a truck and they were up in the top of the Live Oak tree which is directly in front of the TSDB.

And, they were cutting and removing the limbs from the top of the tree.

With this information, I thereafter knew that it was hopeless and would be a waste of time to find the limb through which CE399 had obviously passed.

Now, back to the WC obfuscation and misrepresentation.

Previously, CE887 was mentioned. This was the "jacked up" position of the rifle in the TSDB sixth floor window.

Also, I have described the "adjusted position" in which the aiming point of the rifle was always on the head of the JFK stand in, of which position was in fact some 10 inches higher than was that of JFK.

With the jacked up rifle in the window, and an aiming point which was some 10 inches higher than was the actual aiming point of JFK, the WC was able to create their "illusionary" re-enactment photo's which demonstrated that no tree limbs could have been in the way to interfere with the bullet path of the first shot fired.

As with all things, there is a reason!

Tom

The first time that the base of CE399 was observed by me in 1988, it was easily recognizable that a portion of the copper jacket was missing to this bullet.

Even my "non-claim" in expertise told me this.

As to why others who claim to be experts have not informed readers, one will have to ask them that question.

For whatever reason, from the time of the assassination, up until 1991, this was not an item of general public knowledge.

And, since I found it in 1988, the "experts" have had almost 17 additional years in which to find and inform the general public of this alteration to CE399.

Nevertheless, they have not informed you, so not unlike the altered survey data evidence, one can read and judge for themselves.

Accepting the risk of accusations of repeating myself, the attached anomalies to CE399 is again provided.

As noted, when this listing was completed back in 1989/1990, the removal of the base of the copper jacket to CE399 was listed.

And, even though there were reasons suspicioned for these actions, this could not be confirmed or verified as there was not way to demonstrate whether this alteration occurred while the bullet was in the possession of the FBI/WC, or thereafter.

And, even though both FBI Agents Frazier & Gallagher had stated that the base of the bullet had no indication of alteration when they examined the bullet, this too still was not conclusive evidence with which to make a "probable reason" statement regarding this manipulation of the evidence.

My original suspicions regarding the removal of the base of the copper jacket to the bullet centered around two basic items:

1. Removal of this portion of the copper jacket reduced the overall weight of the bullet.

Under this thought, I considered the possibility that this portion of the bullet had been removed in order to demonstrate more potential weight loss to the bullet than was fact. (this was also considered for the small slices in the bullet nose, however, FBI Agent Frazier clearly testified that these slices in the nose of the bullet were not present when he first examined and weighed the bullet)

This tactic (had it proven true) would help account for the approximate weight of those bullet fragments removed from the wrist of JBC.

Therefore, I constructed a similar bullet with the removal of this portion of the copper jacket at the bullet base and found that this decreased the bullet weight by approximately .51 grains of weight.*

*NOTE: With release from the National Archives of the FBI/NA photo which showed the base of CE399, with the entire portion of the copper jacket at the base of the bullet present, this theory, along with all of the time expended in carefully filing off the base of the copper jacket to a wcc 6.5 Carcano bullet and thereafter weighing the bullet, served little purpose.

2. I considered the possibility that the base of the copper jacket had been removed from the bullet in order that it would appear more likely that portions of the lead core could become separated from the bullet and ultimately end up in the wrist wound of JBC.

This one, I truely believed as being a part of the deception.

The reason for this being that Parkland Dr's were allowed to physically look at and examine this bullet, and although one of these Dr's stated that he did not think that CE399 could have left the fragments in the wrist wound of JBC, another of these Dr's who was apparantly allowed to physicall hold the bullet stated that he was not that familiar with bullet structure.

Dr. Shaw: I feel that there would be some difficulty in explaining all of the wounds as being inflicted by bullet Exhibit 399 without causing more in the way of loss of substance to the bullet or deformation of the bullet.

Dr. Gregory: It is possible but I don't know enough about the structure of bullets or this one in particular, to know what is a normal complement of lead or for this particular missile. It is irregular, but how much it may have lost, I have no idea.

This hypothesis was fully reinforced by the testimony of LTC Pierre Finck in regards to examination of the bullet.

Mr. McCloy: From your examination of Exhibit 399, can you identify the caliber of that bullet?

Colonel Finck: The caliber of this bullet, if I could measure it, but I cannot touch it.

The Chairman: We can.

LTC Finck was shown the bullet in a plastic box with the bullet laying down in a cotton bedding. He was informed that he could not physically touch and examine the bullet due to the FBI not being through with it's examination.

(believe that one if you want to)

Here, I thought, lay the answer!

Wrong again!

The released FBI/NA photo demonstrated that the copper jacket was present at the base of the bullet when it was turned over to the National Archives.

Therefore, one must assume that it was present when shown to Dr. Shaw & Dr. Gregory, and there were obviously some other reasons as to why Dr. Finck could not be allowed to "hold" the bullet.

3. I considered the probability that the portion of the copper jacket to the base of the bullet had incurred some damage as a result of impact with the right transverse process of the C7 vertebra.

This seemed entirely logical as the shearing of the small lead protrusion from the bullet base, fracture and fragmentation of this area of the bone with what appeared as metallic residue embedded in the neck, should have most certainly created some damage to the copper jacket base of the bullet as well as that "gouging" effect which can be seen in the lead core of the bullet.*

*At least I was somewhat correct on this one.

With release of the FBI/NA photo, the hypothesis of potential damage to the copper jacket was, to a limited extent confirmed.

With this slight damage, as well as the gouging effect into the lead core, it could now be placed together that this bullet, with it's slightly flattened top and rounded bottom, now perfectly matched the entrance wound into the back of JFK in such a manner that the gouge marks into the lead core, as well as the slight damage to the edge of the copper jacket would be in the exact area of the bullet which would have come in contact with the edge of the vertebra.

Edited by Thomas H. Purvis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, could this copper base have disappeared during the NAA tests performed by Dr. Guinn? I believe he removed some lead from the base for his tests.

According to the limited research which I have conducted in regards to the NAA work, the copper jacket was not removed by Dr. Guinn.

Somewhere, I have some notes in which is indicated that Dr. Guinn merely removed a small "core" from the center of the bullet at the base.

This core/drill hole is clearly observed in the HSCA photograph of the bullet (JFK Exhibit F-102) and is in the exact same location as where Gallagher initially removed a small sample of lead from the bullet base, as can now be seen in the FBI/National Archives photo of the base of the bullet.

With the photo's, a somewhat limited history of the base of the bullet can be placed into perspective.

1. The FBI/NA photo demonstrates the base portion of the copper jacket as being present, and a small, slightly irregular hole in the base of the lead core.

This irreguler hole, is, from my discussions with FBI Agent Gallagher, where he removed an extremely small sample from the base of the bullet for testing.

This depression/removal area is quite irregular and although I now wish that I had asked what type tool he utilized to remove the lead, my blinders were fully concentrated on the missing copper jacket.

2. The next photo of the bullet base, the enlarged photo which shows the copper jacket missing, also shows this area of removal of lead as done by Gallagher.

3. Lastly, the HSCA photo demonstrates the base of the bullet with what is now a perfect "circle"/cored out area in the previous area of where Gallagher had removed a portion.

The HSCA photo was reportedly taken shortly after receipt of CE399 from the National Archives.

To date, no person can be found who removed this portion of the bullet. Just as no person can be found who actually cut the small slices into the nose of the bullet.

Since this topic has been started, may as well finish other aspects of "The Bullet" here as well.

James R. Looney

The data on CE#399 as well as all results of ballistic comparison testing was presented to Mr. Looney for his review in determination of the anomalies to CE#399.

Mr. Looney basically stated that there was little use in his wasting his time in going out to "re-prove" what the results of my ballistic work had already demonstrated.

As another avenue, this same information was presented to Former FBI Agent James Worrell, who basically stated: "What you have here is fact".

During my initial visit to the home of Mr. Robert West in Dallas, TX, I was at the time fully aware of how CE399 had come to exist.

However, as previously discussed, it was unknown as to whether Mr. West was a part of the WC misrepresentation of the facts/lie/coverup (whatever one wishes to call it).

After length discussion with Mr. West, it became quite apparant that he was in no way involved in any of this.

Thereafter, we began to discuss aspects of what the WC had done and I began to explain the reasoning behind it.

When I got to that portion related to CE399 and what much of this was for, he certainly gave a good laugh.

Thereafter, he informed me of having observed members of the WC re-enactment group in the process of cutting and removing the limbs from the top of the live oak tree which is located directly in front of the TSDB.

Mr. West relayed that although the WC re-enactment work was in fact completed on May 24, 1963, his work was not completed.

On the morning of May 25, 1963, he (Mr. West) had returned to Dealy Plaza in order to get some additional information and measurements which were required in order to complete the Survey Plat. This information was relative to concrete structures, etc.

These persons had one of the "high-lift" buckets on a truck and they were up in the top of the Live Oak tree which is directly in front of the TSDB.

With this information, I thereafter knew that it was hopeless and would be a waste of time to find the limb through which CE399 had obviously passed.

Previously, CE887 was mentioned. This was the "jacked up" position of the rifle in the TSDB sixth floor window.

Also, I have described the "adjusted position" in which the aiming point of the rifle was always on the head of the JFK stand in, of which position was in fact some 10 inches higher than was that of JFK.

With the jacked up rifle in the window, and an aiming point which was some 10 inches higher than was the actual aiming point of JFK, the WC was able to create their "illusionary" re-enactment photo's which demonstrated that no tree limbs could have been in the way to interfere with the bullet path of the first shot fired.

Tom

The first time that the base of CE399 was observed by me in 1988, it was easily recognizable that a portion of the copper jacket was missing to this bullet.

As to why others who claim to be experts have not informed readers, one will have to ask them that question.

For whatever reason, from the time of the assassination, up until 1991, this was not an item of general public knowledge.

And, since I found it in 1988, the "experts" have had almost 17 additional years in which to find and inform the general public of this alteration to CE399.

Nevertheless, they have not informed you, so not unlike the altered survey data evidence, one can read and judge for themselves.

Accepting the risk of accusations of repeating myself, the attached anomalies to CE399 is again provided.

As noted, when this listing was completed back in 1989/1990, the removal of the base of the copper jacket to CE399 was listed.

And, even though there were reasons suspicioned for these actions, this could not be confirmed or verified as there was not way to demonstrate whether this alteration occurred while the bullet was in the possession of the FBI/WC, or thereafter.

And, even though both FBI Agents Frazier & Gallagher had stated that the base of the bullet had no indication of alteration when they examined the bullet, this too still was not conclusive evidence with which to make a "probable reason" statement regarding this manipulation of the evidence.

My original suspicions regarding the removal of the base of the copper jacket to the bullet centered around two basic items:

1. Removal of this portion of the copper jacket reduced the overall weight of the bullet.

Under this thought, I considered the possibility that this portion of the bullet had been removed in order to demonstrate more potential weight loss to the bullet than was fact. (this was also considered for the small slices in the bullet nose, however, FBI Agent Frazier clearly testified that these slices in the nose of the bullet were not present when he first examined and weighed the bullet)

This tactic (had it proven true) would help account for the approximate weight of those bullet fragments removed from the wrist of JBC.

Therefore, I constructed a similar bullet with the removal of this portion of the copper jacket at the bullet base and found that this decreased the bullet weight by approximately .51 grains of weight.*

*NOTE: With release from the National Archives of the FBI/NA photo which showed the base of CE399, with the entire portion of the copper jacket at the base of the bullet present, this theory, along with all of the time expended in carefully filing off the base of the copper jacket to a wcc 6.5 Carcano bullet and thereafter weighing the bullet, served little purpose.

2. I considered the possibility that the base of the copper jacket had been removed from the bullet in order that it would appear more likely that portions of the lead core could become separated from the bullet and ultimately end up in the wrist wound of JBC.

The reason for this being that Parkland Dr's were allowed to physically look at and examine this bullet, and although one of these Dr's stated that he did not think that CE399 could have left the fragments in the wrist wound of JBC, another of these Dr's who was apparantly allowed to physicall hold the bullet stated that he was not that familiar with bullet structure.

Dr. Shaw: I feel that there would be some difficulty in explaining all of the wounds as being inflicted by bullet Exhibit 399 without causing more in the way of loss of substance to the bullet or deformation of the bullet.

Dr. Gregory: It is possible but I don't know enough about the structure of bullets or this one in particular, to know what is a normal complement of lead or for this particular missile. It is irregular, but how much it may have lost, I have no idea.

This hypothesis was fully reinforced by the testimony of LTC Pierre Finck in regards to examination of the bullet.

Mr. McCloy: From your examination of Exhibit 399, can you identify the caliber of that bullet?

Colonel Finck: The caliber of this bullet, if I could measure it, but I cannot touch it.

LTC Finck was shown the bullet in a plastic box with the bullet laying down in a cotton bedding. He was informed that he could not physically touch and examine the bullet due to the FBI not being through with it's examination.

Wrong again!

The released FBI/NA photo demonstrated that the copper jacket was present at the base of the bullet when it was turned over to the National Archives.

Therefore, one must assume that it was present when shown to Dr. Shaw & Dr. Gregory, and there were obviously some other reasons as to why Dr. Finck could not be allowed to "hold" the bullet.

3. I considered the probability that the portion of the copper jacket to the base of the bullet had incurred some damage as a result of impact with the right transverse process of the C7 vertebra.

This seemed entirely logical as the shearing of the small lead protrusion from the bullet base, fracture and fragmentation of this area of the bone with what appeared as metallic residue embedded in the neck, should have most certainly created some damage to the copper jacket base of the bullet as well as that "gouging" effect which can be seen in the lead core of the bullet.*

With release of the FBI/NA photo, the hypothesis of potential damage to the copper jacket was, to a limited extent confirmed.

With this slight damage, as well as the gouging effect into the lead core, it could now be placed together that this bullet, with it's slightly flattened top and rounded bottom, now perfectly matched the entrance wound into the back of JFK in such a manner that the gouge marks into the lead core, as well as the slight damage to the edge of the copper jacket would be in the exact area of the bullet which would have come in contact with the edge of the vertebra.

Release of the photograph of the base of CE399 as it was turned over to the National Archives fully demonstrated that the portion of the copper jacket which normally covers a portion of the base of the bullet, was fully present when the FBI gave possession to the National Archives.

Therefore, the hypothesis that it may have been removed for weight purpose deception as well as exposing the entire lead core deception were eliminated when the photograph became available.

However, the photograph did indicate a minor area of slight damage to the copper jacket at the base of the bullet.

And, in those photographs with the copper jacket removed, one can see where the impact which created this damage also resulted in a slight void in the lead core of the bullet due to the compression of the lead in the vicinity of where whatever caused the damage to the copper jacket is present.

This area of slight damage also correlated to the side of the bullet which would have struck the C7 vertebra, and of which side in the lead at the bullet base that the scratch marks/gouges, etc; into the lead core of the bullet could be seen.

All of which aligned perfectly with the 4 X 7mm outline of the entrance hole into the back of JFK with the 4 X 7mm configuration of the bullet base.

More importantly, the photograph of the base of CE399, as received from the National Archives as a result of the JFK records act, provided extra special "BONUS POINTS".

James R. Looney

Tom

Wrong again!

Release of the photograph of the base of CE399 as it was turned over to the National Archives fully demonstrated that the portion of the copper jacket which normally covers a portion of the base of the bullet, was fully present when the FBI gave possession to the National Archives.

Therefore, the hypothesis that it may have been removed for weight purpose deception as well as exposing the entire lead core deception were eliminated when the photograph became available.

However, the photograph did indicate a minor area of slight damage to the copper jacket at the base of the bullet.

And, in those photographs with the copper jacket removed, one can see where the impact which created this damage also resulted in a slight void in the lead core of the bullet due to the compression of the lead in the vicinity of where whatever caused the damage to the copper jacket is present.

This area of slight damage also correlated to the side of the bullet which would have struck the C7 vertebra, and of which side in the lead at the bullet base that the scratch marks/gouges, etc; into the lead core of the bullet could be seen.

All of which aligned perfectly with the 4 X 7mm outline of the entrance hole into the back of JFK with the 4 X 7mm configuration of the bullet base.

More importantly, the photograph of the base of CE399, as received from the National Archives as a result of the JFK records act, provided extra special "BONUS POINTS".

With this information, and a C7 vertebra, one can somewhat reconstruct the manner in which CE399 struck the right transverse process of the vertebra, thereby shearing the lead protrusion from the base of the bullet.

NOTE: The lead protrusion from this squeezed bullet is not "tapered" as is the missing fragment in CE840 as I had no way to squeeze and flatten the bullet and at the same time as the lead core began to extrude out the base of the bullet , also close/deform the channel in the copper jacket through which the lead extrusion was being forced.

Therefore, this photo shows only a column of lead extruding, not the cone-shape of the missing CE840 fragment.

James R. Looney

Tom

Wrong again!

With this information, and a C7 vertebra, one can somewhat reconstruct the manner in which CE399 struck the right transverse process of the vertebra, thereby shearing the lead protrusion from the base of the bullet.

NOTE: The lead protrusion from this squeezed bullet is not "tapered" as is the missing fragment in CE840 as I had no way to squeeze and flatten the bullet and at the same time as the lead core began to extrude out the base of the bullet , also close/deform the channel in the copper jacket through which the lead extrusion was being forced.

Therefore, this photo shows only a column of lead extruding, not the cone-shape of the missing CE840 fragment.

And, although it can not be totally ascertained from the only photographic record of the missing fragment in CE840, it appears that this fragment has slight damage to it's side as well as a "shiny" area of the lead showing as a result of impact with the C7 vertebra.

Coming next: BONUS POINTS!

James R. Looney

Tom

Wrong again!

And, although it can not be totally ascertained from the only photographic record of the missing fragment in CE840, it appears that this fragment has slight damage to it's side as well as a "shiny" area of the lead showing as a result of impact with the C7 vertebra.

Coming next: BONUS POINTS!

I would suppose that one should get this thru with prior to proceeding to the Bonus Round.

BONUS POINTS!

With release by the National Archives of the photograph of the Base of CE399 prior to removal of that portion of the copper jacket which covers a portion of the base of the bullet, came an added confirmation which had been overlooked on my part in consideration of why the base of the bullet had to be removed.

This confirmation came in observing the manner in which the exterior portion of the copper jacket had been basically "stretched" back towards the base of the bullet to the extent that it now created a somewhat sharp ridge which completely encircled the base of the bullet at that point where the copper jacket turns it's 90-degree angle to crimp around the base of the bullet.

The external pressures exerted on this copper jacket as the dense material of the live oak limb had literally stretched and elongated the copper jacket backward, past the normal base of the bullet and in so doing had given a "cup" effect to the bullet base with a now somewhat sharp rim/edge around the entire outer circumference of the bullet.

This type deformity could be achieved in only one single method. That being when the entire bullet passed through a substance of such density that it stretched the entire outer shell of the copper jacket, virtually instantly.

There is absolutely no physical way that this deformity could occur by merely striking bone, or in any other manner other than the bullet having passed through an extremely dense materials.

And, with this now somewhat sharp rim/edge, the base of the bullet had little difficulty in "cutting" the 7mm X 4mm penetration wound in the back of JFK when the bullet struck in it's base first attitude.

This, to me explains why LTC Finck was not allowed to look at the bullet.

LTC Finck was about the only person other than FBI Agent Frazier who had ballistic and bullet experience.

Had Dr. Finck been allowed to hold and look at this bullet, it is conceiveable that he may have question this, as well as other deformaties to the bullet.

Therefore, this tell tale aspect of CE399 had to be made to disappear as virtually anyone with any notable ballistic experience would recognize what it takes to stretch the entire external shell of the bullet back past the bullet base and create a somewhat sharp edge in this copper jacket.

I have attached a photograph of a standard wcc 6.5mm Carcano bullet base, as well as another copy of the deformed base to CE399 as photographed by the National Archives.

In addition, I have added a drawing which demonstrates what the normal base of the bullet appears, and then a second drawing which demonstrates what happened to the external copper jacket of CE399 to stretch the copper jacket backward and form the edge.

The "SEE NOTE" and arrows point to the somewhat sharp edge that was created in the base of the exernal circumference of the bulet base.

And, therein lies the complete answer to the 4mm X 7mm punch-type wound of entry with the relatively clean cut edges which were created by a bullet which had in fact lost a considerable amount of it's forward velocity as a result of having struck and completely penetrated a tree limb, to begin tumbling in flight after exiting, to strike JFK in a base first attitude.

I might add that this is also apparently the reason why JFK was not struck in the head by the first shot fired.

As this was in fact the shot in which the target was closer than at any other time, and he should have been head-shot at this point.

Tom, your argument for a backward entry for the backshot seems to me to be good. I am not sure that your inference re internal woundings is completely supported. However, I'm trying to understand what you say about the bullets base. Here I've resized etc the images to get a better view of what you are saying however I can't see clearly what the extruded copper base part is. Do you mean the 'halo' that appears in both bullet images? I can see the nick in the deformed bullet, perhaps with a reference to it you could elaborate?

Tom, your argument for a backward entry for the backshot seems to me to be good. I am not sure that your inference re internal woundings is completely supported. However, I'm trying to understand what you say about the bullets base. Here I've resized etc the images to get a better view of what you are saying however I can't see clearly what the extruded copper base part is. Do you mean the 'halo' that appears in both bullet images? I can see the nick in the deformed bullet, perhaps with a reference to it you could elaborate?

Here again is a slightly larger version/drawing of the normal bullet configuration at the base of the bullet.

Here again is a slightly larger version/drawing of the normal bullet configuration at the base of the bullet.

Here is a drawing which demonstrates the slightly "peaked" edge of the copper jacket around the outer rim at the base of the bullet.

(this drawing does not demonstrate any damage or extrusion of the lead core)

Larger versions of the FBI/NA photograph of the bullet base demonstrate more clearly this now sharper "edge", which the arrows point to.

In the event it is not understood, I could go into the mechanics of exactly what all transpired to produce this slightly sharp edge to the outer perimeter of the copper jacket at the base of the bullet.

Here is a drawing which demonstrates the slightly "peaked" edge of the copper jacket around the outer rim at the base of the bullet.

Larger versions of the FBI/NA photograph of the bullet base demonstrate more clearly this now sharper "edge", which the arrows point to.

In the event it is not understood, I could go into the mechanics of exactly what all transpired to produce this slightly sharp edge to the outer perimeter of the copper jacket at the base of the bullet.

Perhaps this photo of a normal bullet base of another bullet which is taken at a slightly different angle and with slightly different lighting may assist in comparison.

If at first you don't succed----

Perhaps this photo of a normal bullet base of another bullet which is taken at a slightly different angle and with slightly different lighting may assist in comparison.

OK. Yes Tom, that photo makes it clearer, thank you, I think I understand now what you mean.

OK. Yes Tom, that photo makes it clearer, thank you, I think I understand now what you mean.

Just in case anyone has any remaining doubts, FBI Agent Robert Frazier, in essence, stated that the missing 00.9 grain fragment which was recovered from the rear floorboard of the Presidential Limousine, possibly came from Q1/CE399.

In 1994, additional documents related to the initial examination of CE 399 and the other recovered bullet fragments was made available.

Somewhere, I have a copy of this, however, JFK Lancer as well as Tony Marsh sites have this handwritten notes of Frazier.

http://www.boston.quik.com/amarsh/FBI43646.gif

You will see "Q1" listed at the top as the bullet recovered from the stretcher.

farther down the page, you will find the three fragments recovered from the left floor of the limousine. These three fragments are listed as being 00.9/00.7/00.7 grains in weight and combined are Q14.

A note written to the far right of these fragments also contains the wording "Poss Q1".

Now, whatever would give FBI Agent Frazier the idea that one of these three recovered fragments could have come from Q1, aka CE399.

Tom

• 7 months later...
  • 10 years later...
On 8/2/2005 at 4:55 PM, Jack White said:

Which CE 399 are you talking about? SIX groove WC version

or FOUR groove HSCA version?

Jack B)

Wow! That's the first I ever heard of this!

Macbeth: "Nothing is, but what is not!".

Cheers, 

Michael

Edited by Michael Clark