The Education Forum

John, I have a message appearing saying that I am not authorised to view this page and by back and forward buttons do not work with this site anymore, but are fine with others, all started happening about 1 week ago.

Ignore the message and click five times rapidly on the back and forward buttons. You can also navigate by using the headings at the top.

I experienced a new problem this morning.

I responded to the " forensic" thread, my post was quite long, as it was dealing with a lot of information, and I checked sources before I typed anything , also to give the source, so it took over an hour. I then did the "preview post", which was no problem, then I pressed "add reply" and rec'd a response that "this page is expired". In the past if this has happened I have been able to just go to "back" and get back to the black type and hit "add reply" again, until it posts, or just walk away for a bit, then try again and it posts. If I get that "this page" message, the post has still gone thru. Not so today. This time it was just GONE. I left the computer alone for several hours and did my work on my husband's computer, til he got home, to see if he could retreive the post, but it was simply GONE Not posted and not retrievable.

So something weird is going on with this site....seems too only some of us are having problems with the site????

Dawn

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I have a message appearing saying that I am not authorised to view this page and by back and forward buttons do not work with this site anymore, but are fine with others, all started happening about 1 week ago.

Ignore the message and click five times rapidly on the back and forward buttons. You can also navigate by using the headings at the top.

I experienced a new problem this morning.

I responded to the " forensic" thread, my post was quite long, as it was dealing with a lot of information, and I checked sources before I typed anything , also to give the source, so it took over an hour. I then did the "preview post", which was no problem, then I pressed "add reply" and rec'd a response that "this page is expired". In the past if this has happened I have been able to just go to "back" and get back to the black type and hit "add reply" again, until it posts, or just walk away for a bit, then try again and it posts. If I get that "this page" message, the post has still gone thru. Not so today. This time it was just GONE. I left the computer alone for several hours and did my work on my husband's computer, til he got home, to see if he could retreive the post, but it was simply GONE Not posted and not retrievable.

So something weird is going on with this site....seems too only some of us are having problems with the site????

Dawn

Dawn I'm experiencing the same problem to the point that I now right click /copy any posts and if it didn't go through I repost, second time it usually works. It seems that quick posts might work a bit more often. Sometimes I type it up before logging on and then just paste and post.

Why these problems? Sometimes I think something as yet identified is of a nature that someone/some grouping is selectively interfering with certain topics/people in order to distort the true face of the forum. It reminds me of the right wing shenanigans the cia engaged in with programs like cointelpro.

It may also be some result of a bug in the forum software? The popularity and frequency of postings may have reached a stage where it needs a look at?

Another problem I've noticed is on some occasions even though the post went through it didn't advance to the top or the name of the last poster is not registered.

Retrying seems to work in the end. And quick posts seem to work more often.

I experience fairly frequent hiccups when accessing the Education Forum:

1. Homepage slow to load - or just doesn't load.

2. "Page expired" message.

3. Etc...

I don't see anything sinister in this. I assumed the problems were due to the usual reasons:

1. The tackiness of Windows as an operating system.

2. Bugs in the software that drives the Forum - no software is bug-free.

3. Congestion on the Internet.

4. Incompatiblity problems with certain browsers.

I experience similar problems when accessing all kinds of different websites - particularly discussion lists and blogs.

I experience fairly frequent hiccups when accessing the Education Forum:

1. Homepage slow to load - or just doesn't load.

2. "Page expired" message.

3. Etc...

I don't see anything sinister in this. I assumed the problems were due to the usual reasons:

1. The tackiness of Windows as an operating system.

2. Bugs in the software that drives the Forum - no software is bug-free.

3. Congestion on the Internet.

4. Incompatiblity problems with certain browsers.

I experience similar problems when accessing all kinds of different websites - particularly discussion lists and blogs.

On average we have about ten members and around 30 visitors on the Forum at any one time. The Forum has no trouble coping with this situation. However, there are times when several hundred people are using the Forum at the same time. For example, at 7:19 pm on 9th June, we had 333 people using the Forum. At times like this the Forum has difficulty coping. It is difficult to discover if this large number is just a coincidence or is an organized attempt to bring the Forum down

However, there is little doubt that the Google AdSense incident was an attempt to harm the Forum. We are still in negotiations with Google and hope to eventually find a resolution to this problem.

I have had relative few problems using Mac OS X. however, posting long posts is a problem no matter what site one is visiting. Far better to type up such a post in a word processing program, and then copy paste into the reply section. Then, if it doesn't work, you've got a copy and can easily try again.

I have replaced the Google ads with an advert for the Expedia travel company. Members who wish to support the forum are encouraged to book their flights, hotel rooms, car rentals etc. by clicking through this advert. We will earn a small commission in such circumstances.

In the absence of any sense or help from Google I am also looking into some alternative content sensitive adverts to keep us afloat.

Webmasters may well be interested in these alternatives.

Indeed if anyone has any direct experience of any of the schemes listed I would be delighted to learn from them.

Andy and John -

I've been having a lot of trouble accessing the Forum using Internet Explorer. Netscape and Firefox work fine (I haven't tried Safari yet), but Internet Explorer won't let me in - or if it does there's no content visible. This is true for different computers using different ISP's.

Thought you should know...

Mike

Edited by Mike Toliver

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Just over the last few days, a couple of times when I try to access the board I get a mySQL error page come up. This morning (2200 GMT) it's working again but very slow.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Netscape 7.02

Hi!

Just over the last few days, a couple of times when I try to access the board I get a mySQL error page come up. This morning (2200 GMT) it's working again but very slow.

Using Netscape 7.02

Hi!

mySQL error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)

mySQL error code:

Date: Friday 30th of September 2005 05:08:51 PM

Using Netscape 7.02

Hi!

Just over the last few days, a couple of times when I try to access the board I get a mySQL error page come up.  This morning (2200 GMT) it's working again but very slow.

mySQL error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)

mySQL error code:

Using Netscape 7.02

I have had this problem Evan, it seems to have gone for now though, only to be replaced by a repeat of some of the problems from before. I wonder if the site is under attack again. Hopefully logging of IP's can reveal timing and cause. I suspect it's a response to some issue dealt with recently on the forum. (JFK?)

Hi!

Just over the last few days, a couple of times when I try to access the board I get a mySQL error page come up.  This morning (2200 GMT) it's working again but very slow.

mySQL error code:

Using Netscape 7.02

I have had this problem Evan, it seems to have gone for now though, only to be replaced by a repeat of some of the problems from before. I wonder if the site is under attack again. Hopefully logging of IP's can reveal timing and cause. I suspect it's a response to some issue dealt with recently on the forum. (JFK?)

Another problem emerging for now is a repeat of what seems to be targeted interference. If one accepts it as an annoyance and repeatedly persist in attempting to post then this is in time overridden. However a side result is often a nonregistration of post and a failure to advance said topic. This can be overridden as well with a persistent 'bump' post.

Hi!

mySQL error code:

Using Netscape 7.02

No just boring technical problems with the Invision server. No conspiracy to report :lol: