The Education Forum

Liverpool

John Simkin

After winning the European Cup great things are expected of Liverpool this season. However, in my opinion, the employment of a ten man defence in away games might help you in Europe but will do nothing to win you the Premiership.

Rafael Benitez decision to bring in a load of Spaniards is not the way to win the Premiership. What success they had last year depended on the excellent form of two local players, Gerrard and Carragher. I suspect that Crouch will not cope with the pressure of playing for a top club like Liverpool. He even had trouble when playing for Aston Villa before recapturing the form he showed at QPR with Southampton.

The only pleasure Liverpool are likely to have this year is doing well in the FA Cup and beating Everton. However, they will struggle to make the top six in the Premiership.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John

I think if Liverpool were to reobtain Michael Owen, Liverpool might be able to mount a real challenge for the Premiership crown. The Crouch - Owen combination could be similar to the Toshack - Keegan combination that garnered past glories for the club. Should they not get Owen, they will probably be an also-ran as in the past two seasons. I do agree also that Benitez relies to heavily on the Spanish players he is bringing in. Morientes has yet to make a firm impression in the Premiership. Josemi is too slow as a fullback and Pelegrino never proved his worth either. Garcia and Alonso however are both fine players and have proved valuable to the club.

Best regards

Chris George

I think if Liverpool were to reobtain Michael Owen, Liverpool might be able to mount a real challenge for the Premiership crown. The Crouch - Owen combination could be similar to the Toshack - Keegan combination that garnered past glories for the club. Should they not get Owen, they will probably be an also-ran as in the past two seasons.  I do agree also that Benitez relies to heavily on the Spanish players he is bringing in.  Morientes has yet to make a firm impression in the Premiership.  Josemi is too slow as a fullback and Pelegrino never proved his worth either.  Garcia and Alonso however are both fine players and have proved valuable to the club.

Chris, do you get a chance to see Premiership games in the US?

Chris, do you get a chance to see Premiership games in the US?

Hi John

Yes indeed I watch Premier league games on cable, on Fox Soccer channel which offers a good supply of top matches, and others are available on Pay-for-View, so I don't lack for Premier league football or indeed Champions League or international matches either.

All my best

Chris

After winning the European Cup great things are expected of Liverpool this season. However, in my opinion, the employment of a ten man defence in away games might help you in Europe but will do nothing to win you the Premiership.

Rafael Benitez decision to bring in a load of Spaniards is not the way to win the Premiership. What success they had last year depended on the excellent form of two local players, Gerrard and Carragher. I suspect that Crouch will not cope with the pressure of playing for a top club like Liverpool. He even had trouble when playing for Aston Villa before recapturing the form he showed at QPR with Southampton.

The only pleasure Liverpool are likely to have this year is doing well in the FA Cup and beating Everton. However, they will struggle to make the top six in the Premiership.

Now what would a West Ham supporter know about football???

Liverpool will challenge for the premiership this year and will retain their European crown - West Ham will disappear back into the Ryman's league from whence they came ;):lol:

Liverpool will challenge for the premiership this year and will retain their European crown - West Ham will disappear back into the Ryman's league from whence they came ;)  :blink:

The history of football does not appear to be your strong subject. West Ham was formed in 1895 by workers at the Thames Ironworks. The club played in the Southern League until being elected into the Football League after the First World War. Their first league game was on 30th August 1919. They reached the First Division of the league in 1923. It was a good year as they also reached the FA Cup Final (the first one to be played at Wembley).

As a regular visitor to the West Ham supporters forum I have to admit that some of the postings are “intellectually challenged”. They usually contain more asterisks than capital letters. If you make a post claiming that the manager should be sacked you will get about 100 replies within a couple of hours. I occasionally post long pieces on the forum. Last week I wrote a piece about how football tactics have changed since the end of the war. It got 30 page views and no replies. Hopefully it will be different on this forum.

With five strikers obviously working well, what need does Liverpool have of Michael Owen?? Let him got to Newcastle, right??  :(  :D

Rafael Benitez does not want Owen. He might live in Spain but he was not born there? How is he ever going to have a complete Spanish team if he buys English players?

Rafael Benitez does not want Owen. He might live in Spain but he was not born there? How is he ever going to have a complete Spanish team if he buys English players?

Hi John

Not sure about that, John, Rafa Benitez appears to be a wily customer. I believe Liverpool will take Owen back if they can get him at the right price, meaning what they have to pay Real Madrid and what they have to pay Owen in terms of his wages.

According to the Liverpool Echo today: "Michael Owen remains hopeful of securing his dream move back to Liverpool - despite Newcastle's record bid to try and lure him to St James' Park. Despite the current frenzy of speculation, no decision on his future is thought to be imminent."

Owen has not said he will accept the move to Newcastle despite the large bid for him; rather he has said he will go to Newcastle on a one-year loan if he cannot go back to Liverpool.

Also according to the Liverpool Daily Post today: "Now the ball is in Benitez's court amid mounting speculation he could seek to off-load Djibril Cisse in order to accommodate Owen in his squad."

It appears that no decision will be made until after the European Super Cup on Friday. The club's hope seems to be that Owen will lower his wage demands and Liverpool can get him for $8 million that they sold him for 12 months ago. See "Owen's Anfield return only at the right price" (Liverpool Daily Post August 25, 2005).

Chris

Edited by Christopher T. George

It's SO nice to be part of a mature forum :P

With five strikers obviously working well, what need does Liverpool have of Michael Owen?? Let him got to Newcastle, right?? :D:D

If by mature you mean aged then you are without doubt in the right place :lol:

Liverpool don't need Owen despite the fans wanting him back. Owen played very badly in the last year he was at Anfield and played poorly for Madrid last year. If they do buy him they should not pay much.

Liverpool don't need Owen despite the fans wanting him back. Owen played very badly in the last year he was at Anfield and played poorly for Madrid last year. If they do buy him they should not pay much.

Hi Andy

Few strikers flourish when they are made to play lone striker up front, which was the way Owen was often used in Gerard Houllier's last season as manager.

Owen's ratio of goals to matches played is still impressive for his age (25?) both at the club and international levels, so your cynicism is probably misplaced.

I have every confidence that if Owen does return to Liverpool, which looks increasingly likely, he will have the support he needs and a stronger squad for Liverpool will be fielded overall.

So, Andy, Liverpool for the Premier League crown AND to win the Champion's League once again as well.... :lol: Those ripe toms are RED after all.... :D

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

In recent years promoted teams tended to play very defensively in their first season in the premiership. In fact, most teams outside the top three (Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester United) play that way. For example, Liverpool have played four games this season and have yet to concede a goal. However, they have only managed to score one themselves. Further evidence of Liverpool's decline.

In recent years promoted teams tended to play very defensively in their first season in the premiership. In fact, most teams outside the top three (Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester United) play that way. For example, Liverpool have played four games this season and have yet to concede a goal. However, they have only managed to score one themselves. Further evidence of Liverpool's decline.

Hi John

Liverpool's performance so far in the Premiership has been disappointing but let's wait until the latter half of the season before looking for supposed evidence of Liverpool's "decline." To my mind what could be happening is the exact opposite, that if Benitez's rebuilding is successful and Sissoko, for example, does successfully become the new Viera as he showed signs in the 2-1 win at Real Bekis, they might once again be able to mount a successful title challenge, possibly next year if not this year.

Chris

How is it that such a usually rational debater and occassionally balanced contributer as John Simkin can come out with such biased claptrap in these threads? :)

Liverpool's results this season can be viewed by HERE - played 15 won 11!

With this form and with 6 major honours since 2000-1 I for one keenly hope that this "decline" continues to gather pace :P