The Education Forum

Liverpool

John Simkin

In recent years promoted teams tended to play very defensively in their first season in the premiership. In fact, most teams outside the top three (Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester United) play that way. For example, Liverpool have played four games this season and have yet to concede a goal. However, they have only managed to score one themselves. Further evidence of Liverpool's decline.

How is it that such a usually rational debater and occassionally balanced contributer as John Simkin can come out with such biased claptrap in these threads? :)

Liverpool's results this season can be viewed by HERE - played 15 won 11!

With this form and with 6 major honours since 2000-1 I for one keenly hope that this "decline" continues to gather pace :P

Thanks, Andy. I like the philosophy of that well-known sage of football, Sam Allardyce of Bolton Wanderers, who said something that might be applied to Liverpool's Istanbul win and the way Liverpool are playing generally--

"We get what we can, when we can. Whether we deserve it or not doesn't matter as we've got it."

I think it is significant as well that another canny footballing mind, Sir Alex Ferguson, seems impressed with what Rafa Benitez is doing at Liverpool, and they appear to have forged a friendship.

All my best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool were clearly the better side this evening against Chelsea and were extremely unlucky not to be awarded at least 2 penalties.

Despite a lot of possession however they failed to make many clear cut openings which is rather worrying.

Chelsea were negative throughout and deeply cynical in the challenge (as are most London clubs). Several of their players were lucky not to have been sent off.

Perhaps the referee was on the Russian's pay roll too?

Liverpool were clearly the better side this evening against Chelsea and were extremely unlucky not to be awarded at least 2 penalties.

Despite a lot of possession however they failed to make many clear cut openings which is rather worrying.

Chelsea were negative throughout and deeply cynical in the challenge (as are most London clubs).  Several of their players were lucky not to have been sent off.

I agree Liverpool was the better side and at least deserved one penalty. Chelsea have not impressed me too much this season. True they have not lost in the league but their performances have been very boring. Last year they were an exciting counter-attacking side. Robben and Duff have been unconvincing (I cannot understand why he does not start occasionally with Wright-Phillips and Cole on the wings). I would also start with Crespo instead of Drogba (I hate they way he constantly moans about being tackled). They need a top class striker, Lampard, a midfielder, is their top scorer.

The issue now is not whether Liverpool can be champions but if they can avoid relegation. :)

Chelsea’s decision to play for a draw obviously fooled Liverpool into thinking they were a match for the champions. On Sunday they played 4-3-3 instead of 4-5-1. Cole and Duff constantly attacked with Drogba. For the first 30 minutes, every time one of the three attackers got the ball they were surrounded by three of four defenders. They could not keep this up and by the second-half Liverpool were a very tired team.

The best performance against Chelsea this season was by Wigan. Like other teams like West Ham, Wigan have realised that the best form of defence is attack. Far too many teams this season have not really tested Chelsea’s defence. It is good but unless you attack it, you are not going to find out how good it is. For most of the game Liverpool relied on high balls up to Crouch. Most of the time he was surrounded by Chelsea defenders. Even when he managed to get hold of the ball, he rarely had anyone to pass to. It was a surprise that Liverpool even managed to score one goal.

I suspect Manchester United have now learnt there lesson about playing 4-5-1 (they were unluckly to score only 3 on Saturday against Fulham). How long will it take Liverpool to learn this lesson?

I suspect Manchester United have now learnt there lesson about playing 4-5-1 (they were unluckly to score only 3 on Saturday against Fulham). How long will it take Liverpool to learn this lesson?

I guess it depends on whether Benitez is reading your advice here John :lol:

I guess it depends on whether Benitez is reading your advice here John :lol:

No chance of that. He only takes the advice of Spaniards. He is gradually getting rid of all the English players in the team. Three talented players, Owen, Murphy and Kirkland have gone. The rest will go by next year and Liverpool will be renamed Foreign Mercenaries. He will have to get a move on or Wengler will beat him to it.

I guess it depends on whether Benitez is reading your advice here John :unsure:

No chance of that. He only takes the advice of Spaniards. He is gradually getting rid of all the English players in the team. Three talented players, Owen, Murphy and Kirkland have gone. The rest will go by next year and Liverpool will be renamed Foreign Mercenaries. He will have to get a move on or Wengler will beat him to it.

I fear you flatter Murphy (especially) and Owen.

Your posts are beginning to sound rather irrational and anti European on this subject. At theis rate you'll be writing a column in the Sun by the end of the week ;);)

You can't really blame Benitez for that-Owen did not want to stay and we weren't in a position to buy him back having enough strikers already. And Murphy is a great player but not top class really.

I like the Spaniards- Alonso is a fantastic player, Garcia has the occasional moment of brilliance which more than makes up for his fumbles. Josemi is pretty solid. Morientes is yet to impress, but I trust Benitez and you can't argue with Nando's record from his days in Spain.

Just wanted to add my twopenneth!

• 4 weeks later...
You can't really blame Benitez for that-Owen did not want to stay and we weren't in a position to buy him back having enough strikers already. And Murphy is a great player but not top class really.

I like the Spaniards- Alonso is a fantastic player, Garcia has the occasional moment of brilliance which more than makes up for his fumbles. Josemi is pretty solid. Morientes is yet to impress, but I trust Benitez and you can't argue with Nando's record from his days in Spain.

It is interesting that the one Englishman that Benitez does recruit, Peter Crouch, is such a disaster. However, it always looked a strange decision as Liverpool do not appear to play with wingers.

I saw the game against Crystal Palace on Wednesday. Even with wingers Crouch never looked like scoring. Only Steven Gerrard looked dangerous when Liverpool attacked.

Some interesting statistics were published this week. This season Liverpool have only converted 4.8% of the chances they have created in the Premiership. Only Everton have a worse record. I suppose this is the only satisfaction Liverpool will get this season – the relegation of Everton.

I suppose this is the only satisfaction Liverpool will get this season – the relegation of Everton.

Thrashing West Ham at the weekend was also quite satisfying :angry:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/last_match/

I agree we were outplayed on Saturday but a 2-0 score hardly indicates a thrashing. After the match Pardew claimed that Liverpool was easily the best side we have played all season. I expect he is right, after all, Arsenal is in clear decline. I still think we can hold our mid-table position. We will lose to teams like Liverpool but we are capable of beating most teams in the Premiership. We might even beat Liverpool when they visit Upton Park.

The sort of league table we all want to see is presented below

UEFA Champions League : Group G Table

1 Liverpool 4 3 1 0 6 1 5 10

2 Chelsea 4 2 1 1 5 1 4 7

3 Real Betis 4 2 0 2 3 6 -3 6

4 Anderlecht 4 0 0 4 0 6 -6 0

• 1 month later...

I must say how satisfying it has been to witness Liverpool's recent excellent run of form. Also good to see Peter Crouch finally break his duck.

I couldn't be happier if I were spit roasting an Ofsted inspector/West Ham supporter

I must say how satisfying it has been to witness Liverpool's recent excellent run of form. Also good to see Peter Crouch finally break his duck.

I couldn't be happier if I were spit roasting an Ofsted inspector/West Ham supporter

I agree about Liverpool's form. I thought they looked a better side than Chelsea last night.

I was also fairly impressed with West Ham against Birmingham. Not the best performance this season but very effective. Zamora's goal was fairly special as well.

I agree about Liverpool's form. I thought they looked a better side than Chelsea last night.

I was also fairly impressed with West Ham against Birmingham. Not the best performance this season but very effective. Zamora's goal was fairly special as well.

I am hoping Liverpool can persuade Benitez to sign a new long term contract in the near future and that he secures both a new central defender and left back in the next transfer window