The Education Forum

New Orleans - The beginning of the end?

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

You refer, of course, to such people as Robert Strange McNamara?  Or are you refering to C. Douglas Dillon?  Or perhaps you refer to Dean Rusk?  Or perhaps Fred Korth?  (In my opinion, the best Cabinent appointment JFK may have made was the one for which he received the most criticism.)

Fred Korth was forced to resign on 1st November, 1963, for corruption. This involved taking pay-offs from the Texas oil industry. He had originally got the job as Navy Secretary after pressure on JFK from LBJ. It was the same scandal that would have resulted in LBJ's impeachment. See the testimony of Don Reynolds to the Senate Rules Committee on the day JFK was assassinated.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You refer, of course, to such people as Robert Strange McNamara?  Or are you refering to C. Douglas Dillon?  Or perhaps you refer to Dean Rusk?  Or perhaps Fred Korth?  (In my opinion, the best Cabinent appointment JFK may have made was the one for which he received the most criticism.)

Fred Korth was forced to resign on 1st November, 1963, for corruption. This involved taking pay-offs from the Texas oil industry. He had originally got the job as Navy Secretary after pressure on JFK from LBJ. It was the same scandal that would have resulted in LBJ's impeachment. See the testimony of Don Reynolds to the Senate Rules Committee on the day JFK was assassinated.

John;

In the event that one desires to understand exactly how simple it was to to know the schedule of JFK on 11/22/63, then one merely has to follow the "backtrail" of Fred Korth to:

1. Members of the 8F group who were in the radio business with JBC, one of whom had two direct relatives who worked in the Unemployment Office in which LHO visited for jobs.

2. Member of the 8F group who was "cashiered" from being an Officer in the US Army due to theft/misappropriation. (and was also a lawyer)

a. Who also happened to be a Tulane alumni.

b. Who also happened to have a Mississippi wife who came from one of the largest prior slave/cotton plantations in the South.

It was therefore hardly a difficult task for those in New Orleans, to know long in advance, the proposed schedule of JFK in Dallas, TX.

Tom

P.S. Would one care to check as to how many times the name "Clark" appears in the testimony of George "D"?

From the September 13 (or 14?) New York Times:

WASHINGTON, Sept. 13 - President Bush said on Tuesday that he bore responsibility for any failures of the federal government in its response to Hurricane Katrina and suggested that he was unsure whether the country was adequately prepared for another catastrophic storm or terrorist attack.

Perhaps the Bush-bashers on the Forum will now see the man in a different light.  I think the problem was in the first place created by failures at the local level but from what I am reading the recently resigned FEMA head was too caught up in red tape.  I will admit that the POTUS should have realized this sooner than he did and it appears he now understands that as well. 

But again the initial response to a natural disaster is always on the local level.  Perhaps there ought to be co-ordination between various localities so that, for instance and simply hypothetically, New Orleans could have learned from the hurricane plan of Miami.  Although, as pointed out in previous posts, New Orleans did indeed have a plan and the problem may have arisen from the failure of the City to implement its plan as the disaster approached.

"But again the initial response to a natural disaster is always on the local level. Perhaps there ought to be co-ordination between various localities so that, for instance and simply hypothetically, New Orleans could have learned from the hurricane plan of Miami. Although, as pointed out in previous posts, New Orleans did indeed have a plan and the problem may have arisen from the failure of the City to implement its plan as the disaster approached."

Tim, has this always been the case? Or, to phrase it another way, has it always been a matter of states' rights over federal intervention? Why do I equate the gov.'s inability to respond to the disaster a matter of the intense de-regulatory processes set in place during the Reagan regime? Or, does that have anything at all, whatsoever, to do with it?

From the September 13 (or 14?) New York Times:

WASHINGTON, Sept. 13 - President Bush said on Tuesday that he bore responsibility for any failures of the federal government in its response to Hurricane Katrina and suggested that he was unsure whether the country was adequately prepared for another catastrophic storm or terrorist attack.

Perhaps the Bush-bashers on the Forum will now see the man in a different light.  I think the problem was in the first place created by failures at the local level but from what I am reading the recently resigned FEMA head was too caught up in red tape.  I will admit that the POTUS should have realized this sooner than he did and it appears he now understands that as well. 

But again the initial response to a natural disaster is always on the local level.  Perhaps there ought to be co-ordination between various localities so that, for instance and simply hypothetically, New Orleans could have learned from the hurricane plan of Miami.  Although, as pointed out in previous posts, New Orleans did indeed have a plan and the problem may have arisen from the failure of the City to implement its plan as the disaster approached.

"But again the initial response to a natural disaster is always on the local level. Perhaps there ought to be co-ordination between various localities so that, for instance and simply hypothetically, New Orleans could have learned from the hurricane plan of Miami. Although, as pointed out in previous posts, New Orleans did indeed have a plan and the problem may have arisen from the failure of the City to implement its plan as the disaster approached."

Tim, has this always been the case? Or, to phrase it another way, has it always been a matter of states' rights over federal intervention? Why do I equate the gov.'s inability to respond to the disaster a matter of the intense de-regulatory processes set in place during the Reagan regime? Or, does that have anything at all, whatsoever, to do with it?

The US system of governance is complex administratively. The local states often behave like sovereign countries.

Arizona has addressed foreign diplomats and leaders on the VCCR and blocked the US govt. in relation to the systemic rape of women prisoners in Az.

Governor Engler of Michigan once told the media the US govt. and the United Nations were (collectively) out to get his administration.

Edited by Gregory Carlin

Saw an ABC News program rehashing the New Orleans debacle the other night. It seems the Governor of Louisiana had called FEMA and asked for "everything you've got," but since the request wasn't specific enough--numbers of National Guardsmen, number of buses, etc--FEMA delayed ANY response until they received a specific number. Unfortunately, FEMA failed to relay this desire for specificity back to the governor...hence the communications breakdown.

SO...was the governor at fault for not saying how many troops and how many buses, or was FEMA at fault for not responding...even the response that they needed specific numbers??

Biggest problem was, governow wasn't IN New Orleans to see what was going on...and mayor and local emergency officials were without communications--except TV networks, apparently--for a couple of days.

Question that comes to MY mind is...why couldn't/didn't network news organizations HELP establish communications between New Orleans and other governmental agencies? They could obviously communicate between their reporters in NO and their anchors in New York...right? So why not set up communications between NO and Baton Rouge? Or NO and Washington? Obivously it COULD be done, but it WASN'T done.

Saw an ABC News program rehashing the New Orleans debacle the other night.  It seems the Governor of Louisiana had called FEMA and asked for "everything you've got," but since the request wasn't specific enough--numbers of National Guardsmen, number of buses, etc--FEMA delayed ANY response until they received a specific number.  Unfortunately, FEMA failed to relay this desire for specificity back to the governor...hence the communications breakdown.

SO...was the governor at fault for not saying how many troops and how many buses, or was FEMA at fault for not responding...even the response that they needed specific numbers??

Biggest problem was, governow wasn't IN New Orleans to see what was going on...and mayor and local emergency officials were without communications--except TV networks, apparently--for a couple of days.

Question that comes to MY mind is...why couldn't/didn't network news organizations HELP establish communications between New Orleans and other governmental agencies?  They could obviously communicate between their reporters in NO and their anchors in New York...right?  So why not set up communications between NO and Baton Rouge?  Or NO and Washington?  Obivously it COULD be done, but it WASN'T done.

Sounds like the FEMA's playing that old, "pass the buck," game. I expected little else. But, as far as the media is concerned, there's absolutely no excuse for their blatant lack of support as far as connecting the two cities via their own stations' or channels' broadcasting patches and hook-up capabilities. Unless, of course, as in the case in Jefferson Parish, so vividly described by Parish President Broussard to Tim Russert regarding the lines being intentionally cut. Whatever happened to the explanation for that action, and why it was allowed to go down in the first place?

Edited by Terry Mauro

RACISM LIVES ON.

I received a copy of this supposed e-mail. The author, supposedly, is a doctor at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Missisippi. The copy I received even included a cell phone and pager number. It is very difficult for me to believe that a doctor would write garbage like this. I intend to call him to see if it is true or if someone is playing a cruel joke misattributing these statements to him. But if true it certainly demonstrates that racism still exists in this country even among educated people.

What the news does not show...

Thought I might inform the few friends I have on my recent traumatic experience. I am going to tell it straight, blunt, raw, and I don't give a damn. Long read, I know but please do read!!!

I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R. Brown convention for two reasons.

A: I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy.

B: Curiosity.

I've been watching the news lately and have seen scenes that have made me want to vomit. And no it wasn't dead bodies, the city under water, or the sludge everywhere. It was PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR. The people on T.V., (99% being Black) were DEMANDING help. They were not asking nicely but demanding as if society owed these people something. Well the honest truth is WE DON'T.

Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated. This is not what the press (FOX in particular) was showing, what I was seeing was a group of people who are yelling, demanding, looting, killing, raping, and SHOOTING back at the demanded help!!!!! So I'm thinking this can't possibly be true can it???? So I decide to submit to the DEMAND for help out of SHOCK. I couldn't believe this to be true of the majority of the people who are the weakest of society. So I went to volunteer and help folks out and see the truth. So I will tell the following story and you decide:

I arrived at the astrodome only to find out that there were too many volunteers and that volunteers were needed at the George R. Brown Convention Center. As I was walking up to the Convention Center I noticed a line of cars that wrapped around blocks filled with donations. These were

ordinary Houstonians coming with truckloads and trunks full of water, diapers, clothes, blankets, food, all types of good stuff. And lots of it was NEW. I felt that warm fuzzy while helping unload these vehicles of these wonderful human beings. I then went inside the building and noticed

approximately 100,000 sq. ft. of clothes, shoes, jackets, toys and all types of goodies all organized and ready for the people in need. I signed up, received a name badge and was on my merry way excited to be useful.

I toured the place to get familiar with my surroundings; the entire place is probably around 2 million sq. ft. I noticed rows as far as the eye can see of mattresses, not cots, BLOW UP MATTRESSES!!! All of which had nice pillows and plenty of blankets. 2 to 3 bottles of water lay on every bed.

These full size to queen size beds by the way were comfortable, I laid in one to see for myself. I went to look at the medical area. I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing!!! A makeshift hospital created in 24 hours!!! It was unbelievable, they even had a pharmacy. I also noticed that

they created showers, which would also have hot water. I went upstairs to the third floor to find a HUGE cafeteria created in under 24 hours! Rows of tables, chairs and food everywhere - enough to feed an army! I'm not talking about crap food either. They had Jason's deli food, apples, oranges, coke, diet coke, lemonade, orange juice, cookies, all types of chips and sandwiches. All the beverages by the way were put on ice and chilled!!!! In a matter of about 24 hours or less an entire mini-city was erected by volunteers for the poor evacuees. This was not your rundown crap

shelter, it was BUM HEAVEN.

So that was the layout: great food, comfy beds, clean showers, free medical help, by the way there was a library, and a theatre room that I forgot to mention. Great stuff right????

Well here is what happened on my journey -

I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got off the bus. Many would take them and only 20% or less said thank you. Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas! So this went on for about 20-30 minutes until I was sick of being an unappreciated servant. I figured

certainly these folks would appreciate some food!!! So I went upstairs to serve these beloved evacuees some GOOD food that I wish I could have at the moment!

***The following statements are graphic, truthful, and discuss UNRATIONAL behavior***

Evacuees come slowly to receive this mountain of food that is worth serving to a king! I tell them that we have 2 types of great deli sandwiches to choose from - ham and turkey. Many look at the food in disgust and DEMAND burgers, pizza, and even McDonalds!!!! Jason's deli is better than

McDonalds!!!! Only 1 out of ten people who took something would say "thank you" the rest took items as if it was their God give right to be served without a shred of appreciation!!! They would ask for Beer and liquor. They complained that we didn't have good enough food. They refused food and

laughed at us. They treated us volunteers as if we where SLAVES. No not all of them of course, but 70% did!!!!!! 20% were appreciative, 10% took the food without any comment and the other 70% had some disgusting comment to say. Some had the nerve to laugh at us. And when I snapped back at them for being mean, they would curse at me!!! Needless to say I was in utter shock. They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table. Some would pick up their stuff, many would leave it for the volunteers to pick up. I left that real quick to go down and help set up some more beds. I saw many young ladies carrying mattresses and I helped for a while. Then I realized something. There were hundreds of able bodied young men who could help!! I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to help. I got cursed at for asking them to help!!! One said "We just lost our xxxxing homes and you want us to work!!" The next said "Ya Cracker, you got a home we don't" I looked at them in disbelief. Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a finger and help themselves!!

WHY SHOULD I HELP PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HELP THEMESELVES!!!!

I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more "white boy jokes" were made at me. I felt no need to waste my breath on a bunch of pitiful losers. I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving. I used the restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor

towards the trash can...he missed. he walked out leaving his disgusting razor on the floor for some other "cracker" to pick up. Even the little kids were demanding. I saw only ONE white family and only TWO Hispanic families. The rest where blacks. Sorry 20% to 30% decent blacks, and 70% LOSERS!!!!!

I would call them N*****S, but the actual definition of a n*****r is one who is ignorant, these people were not ignorant..they were ARROGANT ASSHOLES. The majority of which are thugs and lifetime lazy ass welfare recipients. We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston. And like idiots we are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder, and destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis through the welfare checks they take. We will fund our own destruction.

By "US" I don't mean a specific race, I mean the people who work hard, work smart, have values and morals. Only people who want to help themselves should be helped, the others should be allowed to destroy themselves. I do not want to work hard, give the government close to half the money I earn

so they can in turn give it to a bunch of losers.

I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here, we came here poor, and now thank God, and due to HARD WORK we are doing fine. If immigrants, who come here, don't know the language can work and become successful... WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO IT!!! If we continue to reward these losers then we will soon destroy our great country. I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who cursed me, refused my cities generosity, who refuse to help Themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms!!!!!!! They prance around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a handout, they say it's not good enough!

Well you know what… these types of people can go to hell for all I care!

RACISM LIVES ON.

I received a copy of this supposed e-mail.  The author, supposedly, is a doctor at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Missisippi.  The copy I received even included a cell phone and pager number.  It is very difficult for me to believe that a doctor would write garbage like this.  I intend to call him to see if it is true or if someone is playing a cruel joke misattributing these statements to him.  But if true it certainly demonstrates that racism still exists in this country even among educated people.

What the news does not show...

Thought I might inform the few friends I have on my recent traumatic experience. I am going to tell it straight, blunt, raw, and I don't give a damn. Long read, I know but please do read!!!

I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R. Brown convention for two reasons.

A: I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy.

B: Curiosity.

I've been watching the news lately and have seen scenes that have made me want to vomit. And no it wasn't dead bodies, the city under water, or the sludge everywhere. It was PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR. The people on T.V., (99% being Black) were DEMANDING help. They were not asking nicely but demanding as if society owed these people something. Well the honest truth is WE DON'T.

Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated. This is not what the press (FOX in particular) was showing, what I was seeing was a group of people who are yelling, demanding, looting, killing, raping, and SHOOTING back at the demanded help!!!!! So I'm thinking this can't possibly be true can it???? So I decide to submit to the DEMAND for help out of SHOCK. I couldn't believe this to be true of the majority of the people who are the weakest of society. So I went to volunteer and help folks out and see the truth. So I will tell the following story and you decide:

I arrived at the astrodome only to find out that there were too many volunteers and that volunteers were needed at the George R. Brown Convention Center. As I was walking up to the Convention Center I noticed a line of cars that wrapped around blocks filled with donations. These were

ordinary Houstonians coming with truckloads and trunks full of water, diapers, clothes, blankets, food, all types of good stuff. And lots of it was NEW. I felt that warm fuzzy while helping unload these vehicles of these wonderful human beings. I then went inside the building and noticed

approximately 100,000 sq. ft. of clothes, shoes, jackets, toys and all types of goodies all organized and ready for the people in need. I signed up, received a name badge and was on my merry way excited to be useful.

I toured the place to get familiar with my surroundings; the entire place is probably around 2 million sq. ft. I noticed rows as far as the eye can see of mattresses, not cots, BLOW UP MATTRESSES!!! All of which had nice pillows and plenty of blankets. 2 to 3 bottles of water lay on every bed.

These full size to queen size beds by the way were comfortable, I laid in one to see for myself. I went to look at the medical area. I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing!!! A makeshift hospital created in 24 hours!!! It was unbelievable, they even had a pharmacy. I also noticed that

they created showers, which would also have hot water. I went upstairs to the third floor to find a HUGE cafeteria created in under 24 hours! Rows of tables, chairs and food everywhere - enough to feed an army! I'm not talking about crap food either. They had Jason's deli food, apples, oranges, coke, diet coke, lemonade, orange juice, cookies, all types of chips and sandwiches. All the beverages by the way were put on ice and chilled!!!! In a matter of about 24 hours or less an entire mini-city was erected by volunteers for the poor evacuees. This was not your rundown crap

shelter, it was BUM HEAVEN.

So that was the layout: great food, comfy beds, clean showers, free medical help, by the way there was a library, and a theatre room that I forgot to mention. Great stuff right????

Well here is what happened on my journey -

I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got off the bus. Many would take them and only 20% or less said thank you. Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas! So this went on for about 20-30 minutes until I was sick of being an unappreciated servant. I figured

certainly these folks would appreciate some food!!! So I went upstairs to serve these beloved evacuees some GOOD food that I wish I could have at the moment!

***The following statements are graphic, truthful, and discuss UNRATIONAL behavior***

Evacuees come slowly to receive this mountain of food that is worth serving to a king! I tell them that we have 2 types of great deli sandwiches to choose from - ham and turkey. Many look at the food in disgust and DEMAND burgers, pizza, and even McDonalds!!!! Jason's deli is better than

McDonalds!!!! Only 1 out of ten people who took something would say "thank you" the rest took items as if it was their God give right to be served without a shred of appreciation!!! They would ask for Beer and liquor. They complained that we didn't have good enough food. They refused food and

laughed at us. They treated us volunteers as if we where SLAVES. No not all of them of course, but 70% did!!!!!! 20% were appreciative, 10% took the food without any comment and the other 70% had some disgusting comment to say. Some had the nerve to laugh at us. And when I snapped back at them for being mean, they would curse at me!!! Needless to say I was in utter shock. They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table. Some would pick up their stuff, many would leave it for the volunteers to pick up. I left that real quick to go down and help set up some more beds. I saw many young ladies carrying mattresses and I helped for a while. Then I realized something. There were hundreds of able bodied young men who could help!! I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to help. I got cursed at for asking them to help!!! One said "We just lost our xxxxing homes and you want us to work!!" The next said "Ya Cracker, you got a home we don't" I looked at them in disbelief. Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a finger and help themselves!!

WHY SHOULD I HELP PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HELP THEMESELVES!!!!

I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more "white boy jokes" were made at me. I felt no need to waste my breath on a bunch of pitiful losers. I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving. I used the restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor

towards the trash can...he missed. he walked out leaving his disgusting razor on the floor for some other "cracker" to pick up. Even the little kids were demanding. I saw only ONE white family and only TWO Hispanic families. The rest where blacks. Sorry 20% to 30% decent blacks, and 70% LOSERS!!!!!

I would call them N*****S, but the actual definition of a n*****r is one who is ignorant, these people were not ignorant..they were ARROGANT ASSHOLES. The majority of which are thugs and lifetime lazy ass welfare recipients. We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston. And like idiots we are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder, and destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis through the welfare checks they take. We will fund our own destruction.

By "US" I don't mean a specific race, I mean the people who work hard, work smart, have values and morals. Only people who want to help themselves should be helped, the others should be allowed to destroy themselves. I do not want to work hard, give the government close to half the money I earn

so they can in turn give it to a bunch of losers.

I don't believe in being poor for life. My family immigrated here, we came here poor, and now thank God, and due to HARD WORK we are doing fine. If immigrants, who come here, don't know the language can work and become successful... WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO IT!!! If we continue to reward these losers then we will soon destroy our great country. I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior by the very people who need help the most. Now these same people who cursed me, refused my cities generosity, who refuse to help  Themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms!!!!!!! They prance around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a handout, they say it's not good enough!

Well you know what… these types of people can go to hell for all I care!        

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp

Edited by Gregory Carlin

Gregory, great post.  Interesting that the doctor disavows it (apparently rightly so).  I did not include his name in case it was in error.

However, whoever did write it is certainly a racist!

----------------

Here is a NEWS-FLASH Tim [but I don't think that snopes.com will go along with it ??]

BUSH SELLS LOUISIANA BACK TO THE FRENCH

President Bush and a giddy Jacques Chirac shake hands on the deal.

BATON ROUGE, LA. - The White House announced today that President Bush has successfully sold the state of Louisiana back to the French at more than double its original selling price of $11,250,000.

"This is a bold step forward for America," said Bush. "And America will be stronger and better as a result. I stand here today in unity with French Prime Minister Jack Shirok, who was so kind to accept my offer of Louisiana in exchange for 25 million dollars cash."

The state, ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, will cost hundreds of billions of dollars to rebuild.

"Jack understands full well that this one's a 'fixer upper,'" said Bush. "He and the French people are quite prepared to pump out all that water, and make Louisiana a decent place to live again. And they've got a lot of work to do. But Jack's assured me, if it's not right, they're going to fix it."

The move has been met with incredulity from the already beleaguered residents of Louisiana.

However, President Bush's decision has been widely lauded by Republicans.

"This is an unexpected but brilliant move by the President," said Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist. "Instead of spending billions and billions, and

billions of dollars rebuilding the state of Louisiana, we've just made 25 million dollars in pure profit."

"This is indeed a smart move," commented Fox News analyst Brit Hume. "Not only have we stopped the flooding in our own budget, we've made money on the deal. Plus, when the god-awful French are done fixing it up, we can

easily invade and take it back again."

The money gained from 'The Louisiana Refund' is expected to be immediately pumped back into the rebuilding of Iraq.

--------------------------

Finally, the wannabe draft-dodger is doing "Duh Rite Thang"

GPH

--------------------

"What, me worry !! -- Alfred E. Neumann, 1953.

Gerry, this was reminiscent of the George Carlin bit of many years back, about puttin' the welfare people to work fillin' in the Bering Strait, and then chargin' the Indians a dollar a head to go back where they came from.

Personally, I loved it.