The Education Forum

David Ferrie

Lee Forman

Among Ferrie's final possessions were found four rifles, an assortment of shotgun shells and .22 rifle blanks, a radio transmitter tuning unit, two Signal Corps field telephones, a 100-pound aerial-type practice bomb and—a sword.

Can anyone expand upon the signal Corps field telephones? What would be the range, when would they have been manufactured, how would the signal have been transmitted, etc? Would a Civilian have access to one of these telephones normally for use in reporting? If you had a pair of these telephones, would you be able to use them to communicate, one to the other? Is that what the radio transmitting tuning unit would be used for? So that Ferrie essentially had a portable communication set on hand?

Anyway - curious to know if anyone has additional information on this curious detail. I'd also like to know what type of rifles were found at Ferrie's?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lee,

As to those Signal Corps field telephones, check out this guy on the far right in this image below. This was snapped on the morning of the assassination in Fort Worth. Dare we talk about look-a-likes? Maybe not. :blink:

I too would be curious for the answers to those questions you posed.

James

Hi Lee,

As to those Signal Corps field telephones, check out this guy on the far right in this image below. This was snapped on the morning of the assassination in Fort Worth. Dare we talk about look-a-likes? Maybe not.  :blink:

James

Something I came across some time ago when looking at KLIF radio station (where Ruby was a bit involved , sandwiches, lining up interviews etc. ) KLIF were somewhat pioneers and one thing they were doing was integrating portable reporting, they were also trying out radio vans etc. Perhaps this is one of theirs? Others were into it too. An indicator of transmission strength etc could be that they found ways of jamming rivals. I can't remember much detail but came across it by searching for KLIF and came across a fansite with a detailed 50's 60's history. (links to soundbites as well, like day of assassination transmissions.) this is prob a good start http://www.knus99.com/amlist.html

Lee,

only had a quick read, but here are immediate responses:

Wayne January lied in his later claim that the incident happened a day or two prior to the assassination. The original FBI report accurately recorded what he told them - that it had happened some months earlier. His alleged certainty about the person in the car being Oswald was likewise untrue. I'm working (very slowly) on a lengthy piece in which I'll easily demonstrate those lies (among many other things).

The other incident at Redbird re noisy plane however, is solid.

Bill DeMar was indeed interviewed by the WC. He was asked what his act consisted of, but his reply was less than straight forward or complete. As usual, further questioning, which may have gotten to all the relevant facts about that, were not asked. I believe however, that media reports of the day did describe him as a hypnotist, and I have confirmed that he did use it in his act (though apparently dropped from the routine some time after the assassination).

Greg, I'll be really interested in seeing your article when its done.

All I can say for now is that Matthew Smith has provided more information

on Ray in his recently published book including that on the other item he

disclosed, the DC3 incident. My own research, including some early

Dallas media coverage of Ray's remarks and an investigation of the documents

on the DC3 leads me to belive that Ray was not a xxxx and disclosed some

very important information.

I have mixed feelings on the FBI report, it certainly would not be the first instance

of their inserting something to discredit a report that was not going in the right direction....that's more consistent than not. However there is also a possibility that Ray realized his remarks, as reported in the Dallas press, were about to get him a lot of attention he didn't need and might bring some people back to make sure he did not disclose the DC3 information which was far more important. He may have misdated it to the FBI himself to divert attention and protect himself.

I do think that unless you have turned up something brand new, that writing off January would be a mistake. ....at least based on what I can see so far.

-- Larry

Lee,

only had a quick read, but here are immediate responses:

Wayne January lied in his later claim that the incident happened a day or two prior to the assassination. The original FBI report accurately recorded what he told them - that it had happened some months earlier. His alleged certainty about the person in the car being Oswald was likewise untrue. I'm working (very slowly) on a lengthy piece in which I'll easily demonstrate those lies (among many other things).

The other incident at Redbird re noisy plane however, is solid.

Bill DeMar was indeed interviewed by the WC. He was asked what his act consisted of, but his reply was less than straight forward or complete. As usual, further questioning, which may have gotten to all the relevant facts about that, were not asked. I believe however, that media reports of the day did describe him as a hypnotist, and I have confirmed that he did use it in his act (though apparently dropped from the routine some time after the assassination).

Thanks Greg.

Interesting to think that the incident at Redbird could be considered isolated, and noteworthy only because of the suspicious conduct of the pilot. There were a number of smaller airports which would have been normally used by small aircraft, aside from Redbird, [whose name was apparently changed to Dallas Executive Airport in 2002]. The incident at Redbird probably did involve some of the operatives - however doesn't mean that this airport was the only game in town.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX.htm

I have some other info on Redbird someplace - I realize that there is at least one book on the subject.

I think it's simply important to point out that unless a solid alibi exists for Mr. Ferrie, then it's possible that Jack Martin was correct, and entirely feasible for someone with a Pilot's license and a small prop plane to have been in Dallas that morning [maybe even Fort Worth also, which was only 13 minutes away by air [for Kennedy via the Carswell Airforce base to Love Field]], and New Orleans prior to 3:15pm CT -- he didn't have to use Redbird - could have been Highland Park, etc. etc.

Also interesting are the allegations made by Broshears relating to Ferrie's trip to Houston, and his ice-skating rink payphone calls. This would appear to be unrelated to the Redbird incident. One could theorize that another small airport used by the operation was located somewhere between Fort Worth and Dallas. Furhter there was an airport located close to the Winterland Ice Skating Rink, 2400 Norfolk st, Houston. Sure enough, within less than 12 miles, there was the 'William P. Hobby' airport, which was named the Houston Municipal Airport at that time.

http://www.shanaberger.com/airports/ap_hou.htm

Originally named "Houston Municipal Airport," it also served as the base of operations for the earliest aviation exploits of Howard R. Hughes. A native Houstonian, Hughes was personally responsible for several improvements to the airport, including its first control tower, built in 1938.

To honor Hughes, the name of the airport was changed in July 1938 to "Howard Hughes Airport." But upon discovering that no federal airport improvement funds would be granted to an airport named after a "living" person, Houston City Council reluctantly changed the name back to Houston Municipal Airport later that year.

In the early 1940s the airport's first field lighting system was installed and the first concrete paved runways and taxiways were completed. Shortly after the end of World War II, four additional airlines were serving the city from Houston Municipal Airport. All city-built hangars located at Hobby today were constructed during the ten years prior to 1947.

In 1950, Houston had its first international flight, with Pan American Airway's scheduled flight between Houston and Mexico City. Reflecting its new status and looking to the future, in 1954 the name of the airport was changed from Houston Municipal Airport to Houston International Airport. Houston's scheduled airline service to Europe began in 1957 with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines' flight between Houston and Amsterdam.

Many airport facility improvements were made in the 1950s. The old terminal was expanded, and in 1955, the present airline terminal was opened to traffic. Other improvements included the reconstruction of Runways 17/35, 4/22 and 13/31, and installation of a high intensity approach lighting system. Several new hangars were also constructed by private individuals at the airport.

In 1957, the first scheduled turbojet aircraft landed at Houston International. Two years later the city found it necessary to extend Runways 4/22 and 13/31 to 7,600 feet in length in preparation for receiving jet transport aircraft. In 1961, the east wing of the present terminal building was opened to traffic, together with the east passenger concourse and the adjacent concrete aprons. The west wing of the terminal was expanded in 1963 to provide the additional space needed by the Federal Inspection Agencies for international passengers arriving in Houston.

Just speculation of course, however, flying to South America would require a larger plane than a Sisna.

Raymond Broshears, an ex-roommate of Ferrie, said that Ferrie had told him that he went to Houston the day after the assassination to await a call from a man, allegedly one of the gunmen. This person was to fly from Dallas to Houston in a twin-engine plane that would take them to Central America and eventually to South Africa where the U.S. government had no extradition treaty. South Africa, at the time, was the home of Permindex, an organization with a sinister and cloudy past that had been reportedly ousted from Europe for nefarious activities and had a history of connections with world-wide assassinations. Ferrie was to function as a co-pilot for the gunmen and supposedly another companion who was to be deeply involved in the assassination. The men had code names and the only code name Broshears could remember was Garcia. Ferrie said he never received the phone call. Ferrie told Broshears that the assassins panicked and tried to fly non-stop to Mexico, but they crashed off the coast of Corpus Christi and perished.

Perhaps that would explain what happened to Herminio Diaz Garcia.

The next morning, November 22,1963, about 4:30-5 a.m., our weather briefing was not favorable for a VFR flight into Dallas's Red Bird airport. We selected Garland as an alternate in case the weather had not improved by the time we arrived near Dallas air space. We did not file a flight plan nor intended to file IFR. This would have left a record of our flight with air traffic control. We continued to Garland,in northeast Dallas instead of Redbird Airport in Oak Cliff, a suburb of Dallas. We made this decision because of possible bad weather southwest of Dallas that had not cleared as yet.

We arrived in Garland near daybreak. There had been so many threats against the President's life that we didn't have a great sense of urgency about this particular one. While waiting out the bad weather in Garland, and about thirty minutes after landing three of the passengers were picked up by car, including Roselli. (There are three documented corroborations of my presence at Garland airport that morning). After the weather had cleared sufficiently for the plane to continue via VFR flight rules to Redbird Airport in Dallas, we left Garland for the ten minute flight to Red Bird. We landed at Redbird around 9:30 or 10:30 a.m., perhaps as late as 11 a.m. where everybody got off and went their own way.

I wonder whether Tosh Plumlee may be interested in adding anything relative to Ferrie - even by hearsay. As per his account, Garland was also used that morning. Curious to know if by use of these smaller airports, filing of flight plans was not required, as per his account.

Hi Lee,

As to those Signal Corps field telephones, check out this guy on the far right in this image below. This was snapped on the morning of the assassination in Fort Worth. Dare we talk about look-a-likes? Maybe not.  ;)

James

Hey James.

That's an interesting photo to be sure!

I find it an interesting combination. A man that resembles Ferrie, save for his painted eye-brows [which could have been removed - or possibly he didn't apply them in order to conceal his identity], is seen here in Fort Worth, the morning of 11/22/63, using what appears to be a Signal Corps field telephone. All I have been able to discover about these phones is that they were designed for use by the military, operated on VHF - low level frequency. They would have had limited range - I haven't been able to figure out if the pair Ferrie owned would simply work together - without need for a transmit and receiving type of base station plugged in someplace in between - from some limited searches, it would appear that the phones had their own transmitter and receivers built-in.

Would a civilian have access to one of these phones? Is it too far of a leap that Ferrie would be tracking Kennedy's movements prior to his arrival in Dallas? And in Dallas? Perhaps this is indeed a reporter seen here. Yet another an odd coincidence. Wonder who was on the other end of that phone.

- lee

Passed on to me some time ago in response to a question I had raised - by the late Jay Harrison. Wish I had taken the time to get to know him.

Rebird (sp) later called "Redbird" {correctly] is SW of Dealy Plaza and about a mile and a half West of Interstate 35(East loop through Dallas County) it is also about 2 miles south of Loop 12.

Redbird did NOT have a control tower operator in 1963. Its radio frequency was 122.8. VHF communications was implemented about that time 1963/64. 122.8 is a UNICOM frequency that is used by aircraft landing, taking off and operating around an uncontrolled airport. I personally have landed and taken off from that airport many. many times as a licensed pilot. My home was 3 miles due east of that facility. I believe you were in my car one year when the load of us did a overview of known locations in Oak Cliff.

22 Nov 1963 sometime after 2:00 PM.  A Comanche aircraft had left Redbird .... with 3 occupants (in business suits) and returned later with on 2 occupants (in business suits?). They were then met by a Dallas Policeman named Haake.

BULL EXCREMENT !!!!

There was but ONE officer with the name Haake on the DPD.

That was K H Haake. Relief Patrolman, Headquarters Section, Service Division, 2nd Platoon [duty hours 7AM to 3PM],

Broken down to understandable definition he was a"Full time Dallas police officer (uniformed, but not armed as a jail guard)

in the main jail at 2000 Main Street. He was later armed and a guard at the office entrance of Captain Fritz of the Homicide & Robbery Bureau.

K H Haake (Kenneth Herman Haake) was the son of Jack McCarty and Vernal Corine (Strickland) Haake. He was born in Dallas County, TX on 28 Dec 1928 and died 20 Aug 1997 in Smith County, TX. He is buried in the Brushy Cemetery in Buffalo, Leon, TX.

He is buried next to his mother.

He had a son: Kenneth H Haake, Jr born 29 Jan 1957 in Smith County, TX who married Karen A Bradley on 9 Aug 1984 in Collin County, TX [Collin County is the county north of Dallas County]

Lee , is 2000 main the Dealey Plaza DPD address? if so is it known if Haake worked on the 5th floor jail section? On the 11/22 12.30?

Gary Mack found the HSCA reference to Ferrie's alibis for the morning of 11/22/63 - thanks Gary.

Let's look at them one at a time.

Carlos Marcello.

From demopedia.

After the assassination of Kennedy the Federal Bureau of Investigation investigated Marcello. They came to the conclusion that they "did not believe Carlos Marcello was a significant organized crime figure" and that Marcello earned his living "as a tomato salesman and real estate investor." As a result of this investigation the Warren Commission concluded that there was no direct link between Ruby and Marcello.

Is everyone okay with Marcello as Ferrie's alibi? No issues? Who authored this report. SA Regis Kennedy.

G. Wray Gill

GILL said that he recalled FERRIE was in New Orleans the morning of the day President KENNEDY was assassinated. He said he recalls this date well because on that date the Federal Jury in New Orleans returned a verdict in favor of GILL's client, CARLOS MARCELLO. GILL thereupon contacted his secretary, Mrs. ALICE GUIDROZ, who stated that she was positive FERRIE was in the office at 12:15 p.m. on November 22, 1963, because he left at this time stating that he would be back at about 1:30 p.m., which he failed to do. GILL said that FERRIE had done some investigative work in the MARCELLO case and he recalls that FERRIE and others connected with the case were at the Royal Orleans Hotel on the evening of the day President KENNEDY was slain.

Gill was Ferrie's employer, and Marcello's attorney. Everyone satisfied that he was telling the truth, the whole truth, and etc.?

Also, note that G. Wray Gill provided the alibi - not his secretary, Aldie Guidroz. She was not asked. His account has him calling his secretary, who he claims says saw Ferrie at 12:15pm. I thought Ferrie was supposed to be at the courthouse.

Regis Kennedy

From AJ Weberman's Nodules

S.A. REGIS KENNEDY

On December 10, 1963, in an affidavit for S.A. Regis Kennedy, Ferrie wrote: "I have no records or recollection, to my knowledge, to show that LEE HARVEY OSWALD was, or was not, a member of this particular unit of the Civil Air Patrol. To the best of my knowledge and belief I do not know LEE HARVEY OSWALD and have no personal recollection of having met him. If I ever did meet him it was very casual and, to the best of my recollection, I have definitely not seen him in recent years." [FBI NO-44-2064 12.10.63, 62-109060-1294, NO-89-69 p341 11.26.63, 62-1090604-891] Edward S. Suggs reported: "Regis Kennedy used to come around [544 Camp Street] and was friendly with people in Guy Banister's office. Regis also spent a lot of time north of Lake Pontchartrain by the Cuban training camps" On May 17, 1967, S.A. Regis Kennedy appeared before the New Orleans Parish Grand Jury during the "Jim Garrison Investigation." He invoked executive privilege in response to several questions. [FBI 62-109060-5255 5.18.67] Regis Kennedy wrote: "I was asked if I knew W. Guy Banister and I told him yes. He then asked if I ever visited Banister's office and the identity of anyone I observed there. I answered that I had been in Guy Banister's office, and that the only person I could recall observing when I was there was Edward Suggs and two women, whose names I could not recall. I was also asked of my knowledge of the relationship between Banister, Arcacha Smith and OSWALD. I answered that I did not know...I was asked if I knew Dean Andrews and I acknowledged that I did...During the questioning concerning Andrews I was asked by a member of the jury whether I had investigated Dean Andrews and I replied that my contacts with Dean Andrews were set forth in the Warren Commission report." [FBI TO SAC from Regis Kennedy 5.18.67 - 5255] When the HSCA contacted Regis Kennedy he said: "He doubted there was any connection between MARCELLO, Ferrie and Banister et. al. to the assassination," and referred the Committee to DeBRUEYS. A message from the New Orleans FBI Field Office to the Director regarding the testimony of DeBRUEYS and Regis Kennedy is still mostly withheld. [NARA FBI 124-10031-10275; FBI 62-109060 1st. NR 5175 dated 5.8.67]

http://www.insider-magazine.com/inside_the_dixie_mafia.htm

In response to Attorney General Kennedy's strong interest in Marcello, the New Orleans FBI office prepared a report on him and his Mafia associates for FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover on February 13, 1961. (85) A report prepared under the direction of special Agent Regis Kennedy, the New Orleans office stated that "Continued investigation of Carlos Maxcello since December 1957, has failed to develop vulnerable area wherein Marcello may be in violation of statutes within the FBI's jurisdiction." (86) This assessment by the New Orleans office illustrated why Justice Department and other law enforcement officials viewed as less than satisfactory its performance prior to the mid-1960's in investigating organized crime.

While the committee carefully examined numerous areas of information pertaining to the proficiency of the FBI in investigating organized crime during the 1950's and early 1960's and found various areas in which Bureau performance was significantly deficient, the city of New Orleans was a special case. The indications are that the Bureau's limited work on the Marcello case may have been attributable to a disturbing attitude on the part of the senior agent who supervised the case, Regis Kennedy. He had been in charge of the Bureau's work on Marcello and the New Orleans Mafia for years and also directed much of the FBI investigation in that city of President Kennedy's assassination. In an interview with the committee several months before his death in 1978, Kennedy had stated that he believed Marcello was not engaged in any organized crime activities or other illegal actions during the period from 1959 until at least 1963. (87) He also stated that he did not believe Marcello was a significant organized crime figure and did not believe that he was currently involved in criminal enterprises. (88)

Kennedy further informed the committee that he believed Marcello would "stay away" from any improper activity and in reality did earn his living as a tomato salesman and real estate investor. (89) In response to the question of why Marcello had been consistently identified as one of the Nation's most powerful Mafia leaders by Federal authorities for over 20 years, Kennedy stated that the New Orleans FBI office did not know why Marcello was so identilied. (90) He further stated that the New Orleans office had simply responded to periodic directives from Washington instructing it to monitor Marcello, but had not selected him from investigative attention on its own.(91)

Can't find the reference, which I believe was a Garrison transcript of an interview with Martin...Edward Stuart Suggs, a.k.a. Jack Martin, self-proclaimed FBI agent.

David Ferrie

Layton Martens, from AJ Weberman's Nodules.

David Ferrie was a good American, he was not a homosexual, he was not some kind of weird fanatic creep. Otherwise he would not have been working under the Attorney General. There were letters about this, but they are missing.

;)

In the attached document, I believe the correct reference is Assistant District Attorney 'Herman Kohlman.' It has Martin informing Kohlman on Ferrie's flight information for a flight he made to Dallas on 11/22. Couldn't these people get anything right?

- lee