The Education Forum

Ferrie related question for Stephen Roy

James Richards

Alas, I don't recognize him. That appears to be one of a series taken surreptitiously in late 66-early 67 at Lakefront, in the "office" of Ferrie's flight school, the airport coffee shop!

Considering that time frame, it does not look like Max Gonzales or Jimmy Johnson. It MIGHT be Les Templeton, a flight student who also worked at the airport.

I had planned to take prints of a few of your pix, including recent ones with Ferrie's Stinson that appear to show CAP-type boys, and show them around on interviews in New Orleans in hopes of IDing those in the pictures, and I'd be inclined to bring this one as well. My trip for THIS WEEK has been cancelled, as the homes I intended to visit are under water. As soon as NO is back to its old form, I will do so and try to identify a few of these people.

Some great pix, BTW. I don't know how you do it!

Thanks, Stephen, I appreciate the reply.

I must say that I am a little surprised at the 1966, early 1967 time frame as I thought they were earlier than that. I do have a few showing Ferrie and some interesting others where he is donned in the same hat and they are from the late summer of 1963.

I will be making some of these never before published images available later this year. I just have to make sure I am not stepping on any toes first. Hopefully researchers will find them of interest.

James

Thanks, Stephen, I appreciate the reply.

I must say that I am a little surprised at the 1966, early 1967 time frame as I thought they were earlier than that. I do have a few showing Ferrie and some interesting others where he is donned in the same hat and they are from the late summer of 1963.

I will be making some of these never before published images available later this year. I just have to make sure I am not stepping on any toes first. Hopefully researchers will find them of interest.

James

I'm not 1000% sure on the date, but here's my rationale: There are at least 2 other shots out there from the same day. They appear to be surveillance, made without Ferrie's knowledge, and they match very closely the surveillance shots made by Life when they were working with Garrison, which would be late 66-early 67. The Life shots were made at Lakefront, and these appear to be Lakefront.

Funny that you mention the hat. That is another reason I date this later. I heard from a friend of Ferrie's that that particular hat was a holiday gift to Ferrie in about 1965, so I reasoned that pix of him in that hat must be later. But the friend who told me this has occasionally been wrong on details. I look forward to seeing the 1963 images at some point.

Stephen. This is just a test to see if it is possible to use 3d models as aids in ID here. I took the image of the guy and wrapped it on a head and turned in a more upright look. The more upright it becomes the more distorted, but I'd be interested if it makes any bells ring?

Stephen. This is just a test to see if it is possible to use 3d models as aids in ID here. I took the image of the guy and wrapped it on a head and turned in a more upright look. The more upright it becomes the more distorted, but I'd be interested if it makes any bells ring?

DOesn't ring any bells. But it is interesting how you took the hand out and ssemingly rotated it. What program are you using?

DOesn't ring any bells. But it is interesting how you took the hand out and ssemingly rotated it. What program are you using?

Hi Stephen I'm using Image Analyzer, a great 'help ware' program from http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/ . grab the plug ins. There isn't much documentation but if you keep in mind keywords like Z buffew and depth maps its not hard to figure out. Combine it with any good image manipulation program. (BTW I'm working on a 3d model for dealey plaza to get different perspective views. Overlayed on a aerial photo with a z buffer scaled according to survey data, just mentioning it as stuff on alteration can be checked like this and it would be good if anyone intersted was also developing models. Other project working on. kennedy's skull to 'wrap' the xrays onto. again anyone who wants to swap models much appreciated.)