The Education Forum

The Media and the JFK Assassination

John Simkin

The title of this thread is Media and JFK assassination, the first two posts by John Simpkin, and John Dolva were very productive, and informative. I cant help but notice we are now back to idol speculation about Nixon and Garrison, anyone want to guess exactly where the moment if dislocation occurs? Lynne, please stop spamming this thread, who knows, you might even learn something. Come back Tim, all is forgiven. Steve.

Are you a xxxxx Stephen?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been several excellent pieces on the media's compicity in the cover-up of the assassination of JFK. Lisa Pease and Jim DiEugenio devote a whole section to this subject in their book "The Assassinations"

(Section 4 "The Failure of ther Fourth Estate": 1. The Media and the Assassination (Lisa Pease), 2. Jim phelan: FInal Exposure (Jim DiEugenio); 3. Case Distorted: Posner, Connick and the New York Times (Bill Davy) and 4 The Posthumous Assassination of John F Kennedy (Jim DiEugenio).

Carl Oglesby, in "The JFK Assassination" ably addresses this problem with several chapters in what I call his "little red book": Reflections on the assassinations Media, (Oglesby), Media Reflections (Oblesby and Jeff Goldberg) and The Media Whitewash (Oglesby).

Jerry Pollicoff (who is still very much into this case) has an excellent article entitled "The second Dallas Casualty: The Media and the Assassination of the Truth" which appears in the (very hard to find) "Government By GunPlay (Harvey Yazijian and Sid Blumenthal).

Dr. Marty Schotz "History Will NOt Absolve US" discusses the ties between The New York Times, CBS and the CIA

Then we have this wonderful thread here on the forum devoted solely to Operation Mockingbird. (How the CIA co-opted the press in the US).

Not to suggest that more is not needed re the lack of truth by our so called "free" press. If the 1st Amendment was truly alive and well this case would have been solved decades ago.

The Advent of the 'Net is also reallyhelping to educate newcomers. (albeit with a lot of disinformation to confuse).

Dawn

Guest Stephen Turner

The title of this thread is Media and JFK assassination, the first two posts by John Simpkin, and John Dolva were very productive, and informative. I cant help but notice we are now back to idol speculation about Nixon and Garrison, anyone want to guess exactly where the moment if dislocation occurs? Lynne, please stop spamming this thread, who knows, you might even learn something. Come back Tim, all is forgiven. Steve.

Are you a xxxxx Stephen?

Another wonderful example of what I have come to think of as Lynite logic, here's how it goes. I ask that the thread return to its original subject, and that Lynne refrains from spamming it to death with irrelevant matters, in Lynne's world, and what a place that must be to behold, I am the xxxxx. How wonderful to live a life completely unburdened from reality. Lynne, debating with you makes the labour of Sisyphus, look like a walk in the park. Steve. (or is it....)

Are you a xxxxx Stephen?

Another wonderful example of what I have come to think of as Lynite logic, here's how it goes. I ask that the thread return to its original subject, and that Lynne refrains from spamming it to death with irrelevant matters, in Lynne's world, and what a place that must be to behold, I am the xxxxx. How wonderful to live a life completely unburdened from reality. Lynne, debating with you makes the labour of Sisyphus, look like a walk in the park. Steve. (or is it....)

Psychiatrists and lawyers think they can control everybody. I love to be unburdened by your reality.

John, Harold Weisberg always lamented the media failure to expose the truth about the Kennedy assassination, and the fact that most Americans do not believe that Oswald acted alone has nothing to do with the media, in my opinion, it has to do with the common sense and the decency of ordinary American citizens.

A little digression: 400 bipartisan historians, both Republicans and Democrats, signed a letter indicating that the ground to impeach President Clinton did not exist, yet Clinton was impeached. Did the media do anything about that? Did the media ridicule the McCarthyite effort to impeach the President? Hardly.

Now I wish Dawn would stop getting angry because I do not like Garrison groupies like Lisa Pease, because she is going to blow a fuse if she doesn't chill.

If you really want to understand the absolute impotence of the American media, read "Bushworld" by New York Times reporter, Maureen Dowd.

Neo-Cons control the world.

Edited by Lynne Foster

John, Harold Weisberg always lamented the media failure to expose the truth about the Kennedy assassination, and the fact that most Americans do not believe that Oswald acted alone has nothing to do with the media, in my opinion, it has to do with the common sense and the decency of ordinary American citizens.

A little digression: 400 bipartisan historians, both Republicans and Democrats, signed a letter indicating that the ground to impeach President Clinton did not exist, yet Clinton was impeached. Did the media do anything about that? Did the media ridicule the McCarthyite effort to impeach the President? Hardly.

Now I wish Dawn would stop getting angry because I do not like Garrison groupies like Lisa Pease, because she is going to blow a fuse if she doesn't chill.

If you really want to understand the absolute impotence of the American media, read "Bushworld" by New York Times reporter, Maureen Dowd.

Neo-Cons control the world.

"Now I wish Dawn would stop getting angry because I do not like Garrison groupies like Lisa Pease, because she is going to blow a fuse if she doesn't chill."

Boy, are you acting like a jealous bitch, or what? Sit on it and rotate, Lynne. You couldn't polish Lisa or Dawn's shoes if your life depended on it. :lol:

"Neo-Cons control the world."

No xxxx, Sherlock. Must make you feel right proud, now don't it?

Funny you recommend Joan Mellen's book, haven't heard anything about it in the media. Guess it's only a matter of time before she appears on CNN, isn't it?

Here she goes again demonstrating her utter lack of knwledge of how the US media works. (Canadian too, I grew up there). Authors of books about the assassination of JFK are NOT EVER featured on CNN. The Corporate media hosts Posner on this issue. Surely you are aware of THIS??

Your condescending attitude toward the posters here, indeed outright hatred, makes me wonder if your weren't abused as a child.

If you're so unhappy here why don't you find a forum to your liking.

Dawn

"Here she goes again demonstrating her utter lack of knowledge of how the US media works. (Canadian too, I grew up there)."

Yeah, but you KNOW U.S. law, Dawn. This charlatan doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground!

Well, on this upcoming anniversary, let us all take note of JUST what the media says. We know there are three conferences going on. Let's see if any warrant so much as a mention from our "vigorous and free press".

I mean, after all aren't Brittany and her husband having some spats? And Cheney was just on tv. Priorities, ya know. Catch it on "fair and balanced" Fox :)

Maybe they will even rerun that HORRIBLE Peter Jennings 40th anniversary disinformation piece. Or perhaps it's time to revive Dan I-d Rather not and let him remind us that the head went FORWARD with the last shot, or that "Jackie did it"- (pulled JFK backwards, during the headshot) . (Quotes of Rather, from two CBS anniversary docudramas in the 70's).

George Will must have something to say of import. :)

Another year, and no justice.

"In The Name OF Love" (U-2)

Dawn, you always condemn everybody else's effort to talk about the Kennedy assassination but you seldom share your expertise about the Kennedy assassination.

I know you always come off as a "peace and love" hippy, but you can also be extremely cruel, why the mixed messages?

Why don't you try and teach those uf us who are not as informed as you are?

Can you direct us to key documents, rather than to books that most of us do not have time to read, or perhaps discuss the significance of key documents.

A paper blizard of opinionated books about the Kennedy assassination is not very helpful unless you take the time to provide some direction, some scrutiny about the strengths and weaknesses of the books you recommend.

Lynne, I can't speak for Dawn. But if you expect to come here and be spoonfed a list of Clif Notes about the relevant assassination books and documents, you're on your own. Without doing your own research, you will only learn what SOMEONE ELSE thinks is important. I suggest you read it ALL, and then determine ON YOUR OWN what is or isn't significant.

Actually, the media accounts of November 22-25 1963 are probably the best evidence we have. It's the SUBSEQUENT media reports that are dubious, that show the emerging agenda rather than a search for the truth.

Edited by Mark Knight

I suggest you read this, it's very informative.

By the way, I think it's quite relevant, because, in her book, 'Bushworld', Maureen Dowds quotes Robert McNamara who says that if the US continues to be isolated from the world and it continues it's current course of action, the US and China will be at war in less than 10 years.

McNamara was the hawk during the Kennedy assassination and now, he's a dove. Is there some message there, I am just wondering out loud.

Edited by Lynne Foster

Lynne, I can't speak for Dawn. But if you expect to come here and be spoonfed a list of Clif Notes about the relevant assassination books and documents, you're on your own. Without doing your own research, you will only learn what SOMEONE ELSE thinks is important. I suggest you read it ALL, and then determine ON YOUR OWN what is or isn't significant.

Actually, the media accounts of November 22-25 a963 are probably the best evidence we have. It's the SUBSEQUENT media reports that are dubious, that show the emerging agenda rather than a search for the truth.

And you Mark, are that much closer to the facts and truth than all of those who have thereafter begun to "chase" the ghosts; myths; and misconceptions which this extremely large network has created.

3-shots

3-hits

Nothing difficult or confusing about that!

Tom

3-shots

3-hits

Which shots account for which wounds? What caused Tague's wound?

Tim

3-shots

3-hits

Which shots account for which wounds? What caused Tague's wound?

Tim

Good question, Tim. Here's a few more:

What caused the windshield defect? And the limo frame defect above the rearview mirror? And the scar noted on the northern sidewalk of Elm Street? And the reported defect by the manhole cover on the south side of Elm Street?

[quote name='Lynne Foster' date='Nov 18 2005, 09:15 PM' post='45648']

Dawn, you always condemn everybody else's effort to talk about the Kennedy assassination but you seldom share your expertise about the Kennedy assassination.

I know you always come off as a "peace and love" hippy, but you can also be extremely cruel, why the mixed messages?

Why don't you try and teach those uf us who are not as informed as you are?

Can you direct us to key documents, rather than to books that most of us do not have time to read, or perhaps discuss the significance of key documents.

A paper blizard of opinionated books about the Kennedy assassination is not very helpful unless you take the time to provide some direction, some scrutiny about the strengths and weaknesses of the books you recommend.

Lynne:

FIrst of all I did not start this. You did. I get along just fine with people here. I am not at all cruel by nature but your one line over and over about Garrison was getting mighty old and we are all very tired of you hijacking threads with this spam.

If you are interested in this case, and I will take you at our word here, all I can tell you that there is NO easy way to learn. You read the books. A very long time ago I thought it would be a great idea if someone summerized books so that newcomers could more easily get up to speed, but there's really no substitute for doing the actual work. Many of us here can recommend good books, but as for smoking gun docs that will teach you this case...it just doesn't work that way. I have already recommended several excellent books but your turned yor nose up at the thought...

Then you call my friend Lisa Pease "Lisa Peon" and refer to Ms Mellen as

"Mellen-Scaife"...and you call me cruel??? (Oh you also call me CIA for God sakes!!!)

You came here with an attitude and one agenda: that of trashing Garrison. So why not start there and read some books on Garrison. You're so closed minded and so uninformed, yet come here oh so opinionated based on this Mat guy and you expect to be treated with some sort of respect. You need to be a bit more humble my dear and willing to try to learn the case.

I seem to recall that your bio says you have a college degree, so you know that you had to read a lot of books to get that BA. Well this case is far more complex than college, and there are no short cuts.

If you truly want to learn there are people here who can give you advice, but again, we all have our own favorite books. SOme of the books can be redundant. I'd start with "Conspiracy" by Tony Summers and fallow it up with Henry Hurt's Reasonable Doubt. You will get a good working knowlegde with those two books. (Hurt has some wacko stuff to ignore tho).

I personally got started in my 20's (I'm now 56) and read about 25 books in 75 to do a college research paper.

Myabe you could combine your reading to get an MA like TIm Carroll did and do so in an area of this case, that way you'd be gaining knowledge as well as an advanced degree.

Bottom line is if you care about this case you will read the books. If you are really interested I can promise it will be quite a ride. It is the most complex murder mystry of all time and when people get bit by the who killed jfk bug they tend to just read all they can.

Dawn

Okay, I get the point, but I still don't see any value in anything that Jim Garrison did.

It would be like trying to rehabilitate Nixon or some criminal, it just does not work for me.

Too many good researchers have exposed Garrison for what he was, and his lies, his deception and the circus he created cannot be reversed, despite your friend Lisa or anybody else who supports him.

And I don't need to read what anybody says about Garrison, his own words expose his lies.