The Education Forum

William C. Bishop

John Simkin

According to some people who were close to Felipe Vidal Santiago, William Bishop was responsible for a boat explosion (around Christmas of 1963) that seriously injured Vidal. Other folk on board were Roy Hargraves, Ed Collins and journo Dickey Chapelle.

This was an interesting mix of people.

In an interview published in the first edition of Larry Hancock's 'Someone Would Have Talked', Hargraves claimed he and Vidal were in Dallas at the time of the assassination.

Two independent sources have claimed it was Collins who impersonated Lee Oswald in Montreal.

Not long after the assassination, Vidal who allegedly was not happy with the way things were going, had given an interview to Chapelle - the contents of which never seeing the light of day.

Collins and Vidal were to die in 1964, Chapelle in 1965.

The before mention people associated with Vidal also claimed that during 1964, Bishop was regularly visiting family members attempting to gather information on what they knew. The intimidation factor being not exactly subtle.

Sometimes he was accompanied by a well dressed man, dark complexion, ominous, who they thought worked for the agency. They didn't know his name.

FWIW.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I was just wondering if you just learned this new information or why it took a year to get around to posting it?

Your thoughts and insight are always appreciated.

Bill Kelly

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

I've had most of that information for some time. The Vidal family members providing it are respected members of society holding responsible jobs and I'm wary of how it will impact their lives. They have also made several privacy requests that I plan to honor.

I won't reveal their names so forum members can make of it what they wish.

Over the next few months, I will post some more information and photos as I get clearance - I have already posted never before published images of Vidal himself.

There will also be some material involving Vidal, Bishop, Morales, etc.

The image below shows Vidal just before his execution in 1964. The damage done to his right ear in the boat explosion can be seen.

James

Bill,

I've had most of that information for some time. The Vidal family members providing it are respected members of society holding responsible jobs and I'm wary of how it will impact their lives. They have also made several privacy requests that I plan to honor.

I won't reveal their names so forum members can make of it what they wish.

Over the next few months, I will post some more information and photos as I get clearance - I have already posted never before published images of Vidal himself.

There will also be some material involving Vidal, Bishop, Morales, etc.

The image below shows Vidal just before his execution in 1964. The damage done to his right ear in the boat explosion can be seen.

James

Thanks James,

I'm looking forward to learning more.

BK

• 1 year later...

Here is some additional information on Col. Bishop:

William Bishop Mexico City 1963

The Man Who Knew Too Much end notes Bernard Fensterwald disinformation linking O'Hare to Bishop

U.S. - Cuban intelligence conference on JFK assassination

Mary Ferrell Database Entries:

Entry #1

Record: BISHOP, WILLIAM C. (CLARENCE ?) (COL.) Sources: Madisonville Meteor, 7/6/92

Mary's Comments: DOB: 2/18/23; POB: Georgia; DOD: 7/2/92.

Served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. Paratrooper with Darby's First Rangers Battalion. Served 23 years in military intelligence. Was at Pearl Harbor. Prisoner of war during both WW II and Viet Nam. 33rd degree Mason, Shriner of Hellana Temple, Dallas.

Survived by wife: Jean Gibbs Bishop of Madisonville, two daughters and sons-in-laws, Nita and Doran Walker of Cleburne and Susan and Pete Alanis of Houston; two sons, Robert Smith of Houston and Richard Smith and wife, Karen of Sugarland.

Buried 7/5/92 in City Cemetary in Madisonville.

Interviewed by Gary Shaw and Earl Golz in 1984. Told strange stories of involvement with CIA and involvement in murder of Trujillo. He claimed he was in Baker Hotel in Dallas as part of military intelligence 11/22/63.

Claimed he was at Trade Mart, Dallas, checking identification. Claimed to have been in Africa. Claimed to have been involved in murders of James Meredith, Martin Luther King and Jimmy Hoffa. Although we have copies of Bishop's Military I.D., the government denies any knowledge of him. (See card on Bill Bishop)

Entry #2

Record: BISHOP, WILLIAM C. "BILL" Sources: List of patrons at Sportsdrome Gun Range one of the days Oswald was allegedly there.

Mary's Comments: 1963 City Directory; Wm. C. Bishop, Bank Manager, Brook Mays Music, 2927 W. Colorado Blvd., Dallas, TX. 1966 City Directory; Wm. C. Bishop, Investments, 1st Natl. Bank Bldg., Dallas, TX (214) 748-3347; residence; 2927 W. Colorado (214) 337-7023. (See entry for Wm. C. Bishop)

William_Bishop.jpg

This photo of Bishop was taken in 1980 after he suffered a stroke. (Photo Credit: The Man Who Knew Too Much by Dick Russell)

Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson

Zach Robertson is doing a great job of contributing valuable information and reviving some of these excellent threads. But it does remind me of how much the Education Forum sorely misses the irreplaceable James Richards.

It's too bad many of the photos are gone. Wherever James is, I wish him well.

Zach is travelling down some of the same roads and is doing an impressive job of carrying on the tradition, in my opinion.

Zach Robertson is doing a great job of contributing valuable information and reviving some of these excellent threads. But it does remind me of how much the Education Forum sorely misses the irreplaceable James Richards.

It's too bad many of the photos are gone. Wherever James is, I wish him well.

Zach is travelling down some of the same roads and is doing an impressive job of carrying on the tradition, in my opinion.

Yes, here, here, I agree wholeheartedly.

Many thanks Zach, especially for compiling links to other articles so those who come down this path later on can go right to it rather than have to hunt it all down.

BK

Michael, Bill, & Steve:

Thank you very much for the kind words. It is awfully high praise that I greatly appreciate. It is great to be able to use this forum to get to know good people like yourselves. And Michael, I’m sure if James reads what you wrote about him, he would be very appreciative as well.

Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple documents pertaining to Col. Bishop:

FBI File: No Name Key Instructor

HSCA Letter from Bob Blakey

Sportsdrome Gun Range customers Nov 63

On Sunday, November 10, while Oswald was at the Paines' in Irving, an Oswald was again at the Sports Drome Rifle Range in Dallas, where Garland Slack saw him...

Two Oswalds in Dallas

Mary Ferrell Chronology

Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson

• 5 months later...

Here are a couple documents pertaining to Col. Bishop:

FBI File: No Name Key Instructor

HSCA Letter from Bob Blakey

Sportsdrome Gun Range customers Nov 63

On Sunday, November 10, while Oswald was at the Paines' in Irving, an Oswald was again at the Sports Drome Rifle Range in Dallas, where Garland Slack saw him...

Two Oswalds in Dallas

Mary Ferrell Chronology

Zach

While the DAVID ATLEE PHILLIPS/BISHOP certainly qualifies as THE BISHOP

at least in the real world, the Clarence Ward Bishop and other individuals cited on this thread

are also compelling....

But I have a question that hopefully tries to look at a larger issue, or, at least that is my intent....

Much has been made, and rightly so regarding destroyed, missing or unreadable documents.

Sometimes there are exceptions, such as, if I am not mistaken, the assertion that, I believe this is right

"All ONI documents pertaining to Lee Harvey Oswald have been destroyed."

Anyone who read the thread about Commander Terri Pike courtesy of Bill Kelly knows that such a blanket statement

is NOT True. From my own efforts to keep up, with the Archival materials not yet declassified, [i take exception

to the Archives claim regarding the percentage of documents being such a low number, and

believe there still an incredible number of documents that HAVENT been released, but that is a topic for another day....

My question has to do with the CIA Document coding, specifically

AE

AM

ET[HYROID]

GP

HT

JM

KU

LC

LI

OD

PB

QD

QK

RYBAT

WO

ZR

The above is not meant to be comprehensive but the generalized basic structure.

Considering BISHOP as an important cryptonym; does anyone believe that there was, or there are

classifications missing or destroyed not released yet; say......

BI[sHOP]

HI[DELL]

and other Crypt two letter headings beginning with the letters

C/D/I/M/N/R/S/T/X/Y

?

I don't mind admitting that the Cryptonym area

is not my area of expertise, so if it appears to be

a stupid question, I will admit possibly it is.

But I have never read anyone asking the question....

• 1 month later...
Guest Tom Scully

Dick Russell's book has info describing Thomas Eli Davis as finishing a five year army stint in Feb. 1958 and that Davis told the FBI he was an army ranger in Korea. Davis's wife told the State Dept. he was a POW in Korea.

Davis actually told the FBI he served two years only in the U.S. and finished in Feb. 1957, matching details in reports of June, 1958 bank robbery. weisberg archive has file in which C. William Bishop in a televised interview, links Davis to Alpha 66.

Are Bishop and Davis more myth than fact?

Dick Russell's book has info describing Thomas Eli Davis as finishing a five year army stint in Feb. 1958 and that Davis told the FBI he was an army ranger in Korea. Davis's wife told the State Dept. he was a POW in Korea.

Davis actually told the FBI he served two years only in the U.S. and finished in Feb. 1957, matching details in reports of June, 1958 bank robbery. weisberg archive has file in which C. William Bishop in a televised interview, links Davis to Alpha 66.

Are Bishop and Davis more myth than fact?

Hi Tom,

Nice find. Is this the file you were talking about:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/M%20Disk/Morrow%20Robert%20D/Item%2010.pdf

Did this TV interview ever air? I'd like to find a copy of it, or see if it can be posted on Youtube one day. Any thoughts on going about tracking it down? I'm not sure about Davis, but I think Bishop is a pretty important character.

Zach

Guest Tom Scully

Hi Zach, my laptop ran out of stored power before I could post all of this.

I've verified that you and I are posting the same Weisberg archive link. :

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/M%20Disk/Morrow%20Robert%20D/Item%2010.pdf

I have no other details about the C. William Bishop - Robert Morrow transcript I found on the Weisberg archive. I don't know if a video or sound file of it exists, yet.

I am trying to find the original sources of information about Thomas Eli Davis because he seems more intriguing because he just so happened to have a brother-in-law in 1963, who was married to a Schlumberger I can link directly to Jean De Menil's brother-in-law, Eric Boissonnas. :

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18884&view=findpost&p=248533

From the jfk.hood.edu posted above and by Zach :

Page 8 :

...CUT BACK TO: BISHOP

TEXT: Video tape on association with Jack Ruby

CUT BACK TO: NARRATOR

Another man whom Bishop claims had used Lee Harvey Oswald's

name in Dallas, Mexico City and New Orleans, is mentioned by the

House Select Committee. His name was Thomas Eli Davis III, a soldier

of fortune who, according to Bishop, was associated with Jack Ruby's

gunrunning, connected to the CIA's assassination apparatus and

closely associated with Veciana's Alpha 66 through Rolando Masfarrer.

\

Bishop, as case officer to Mario Kohly and Veciana, said that

he personally knew Lee Harvey Oswald was in the Lake Ponchetrain

training camp of Alpha 66 in Louisiana.

In addition, Bishop says that he met Clay Shaw, the man New...

The man who knew too much - Google Books Result

Dick Russell - 2003 - Biography & Autobiography - 588 pages

Davis, a native Texan, was discharged from a five-year Army stint in February 1958; he later told the FBI he had served in a Ranger battalion in Korea. In June....

I think I can support that these details are not true. It appears Davis, almost 22 years old in June, 1958, was out of the army in February, 1957, after two years service, and lied to an FBI informer about service as a Ranger in Korea. Davis's wife told the U.S. State Department in December, 1963, that Davis had been a POW in Korea.

Davis was born in August, 1936 and told the FBI he did not begin army service until early 1955. Hostilities had ended in Korea before then.

Good work Tom,

Davis is pretty interesting. I think this 1983 TV interview could be somewhat important; it would be nice to at least find it. In my opinion, finding anything on Col. William Bishop is well worth the time invested.

Here is another file on Bishop at Hood:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/M%20Disk/Morrow%20Robert%20D/Item%2024.pdf

The Weisberg Archive is great but it can be difficult to navigate at times.

Thanks,

Zach

Good work Tom,

Davis is pretty interesting. I think this 1983 TV interview could be somewhat important; it would be nice to at least find it. In my opinion, finding anything on Col. William Bishop is well worth the time invested.

Here is another file on Bishop at Hood:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/M%20Disk/Morrow%20Robert%20D/Item%2024.pdf

The Weisberg Archive is great but it can be difficult to navigate at times.

Thanks,

Zach

Zach,

When I clicked on the link, I got the same photo of Bishop that's in TMWKTM, with the extra notation that it was taken of him when he was "down in Texas". Was there supposed to be more to the "file"? BTW, I think it is very important for researchers to be familiar with his 'record" and what he said to people like Dick Russell.

Thanks,

--Tommy :)

Edited by Thomas Graves