The Education Forum

G. Robert Blakey

John Simkin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill:

In its hot pursuit to connect Oswald to the Mafia, the HSCA tried to obfuscate a key point.

THe connection was supposed to be Dutz Murrett to Sam Saia to Marcello.

But as I write in my book:

"Yet, in interviews the HSCA did with Murrett's wife and son, it became clear that Murrett had gotten out of the book making business prior to 1959. Therefore, the Marcello-Saia--Murrett connection would not have been viable in 1963. The HSCA Report on this issue is careful not to be blunt with this information, which is clever of Blakey, since his staff was unable to provide credible evidence of a direct relationship between Dutz Murrett and Marcello--that is ,one without Saia.

In fact, in a later book co-authored by Blakey, he admits this by saying the Committee could not find any other underworld figures associated with Oswald besides Murrett. The above testimony , closely held by Blakey, is probably the reason why most of the members of the Organized Crime team did not think they had connected Oswald to the Mob. But it became clear by Blakey's attitude at meetings that 'Blakey wanted that. He wanted to make the link more than anything else.'" (Destiny Betrayed, Second Edition, p. 341)

Blakey was a disaster all the way around.

I agree with you Jim, the Dutz Murret connection is a BIG stretch. I used it previously to support RFK Jr.'s contention that his father recognized the names of those Oswald and Ruby phone records as mobsters they had investigated, but just because you take book on ball games does't necessary mean you are a mobster. Dutz seem like a good guy.

The friend of Dutz who bailed Oswald out of the NO jail is another question however.

I am putting together some background on Blakey to give to Richard A. Sprague, Esq. as he still has some HSCA records that I am trying to pry loose from him, and buttering him up with some juice on Blakey.

BK

• 1 month later...

Yea, yea, I know, I know all about Blakey, who I used to despise for locking away the HSCA records and then saying, "I'll rest on the judgement of historians in fifty years."

And I thought of him every minute we had to lobby Congress for the next decade or so to get the JFK Act passed, but now, in retrospect, he seems to have come around, not only in his promotion of a conspiracy at DP beyond the acoustics, but also his endorsement of Morley's suit and acknowledgement of being duped by the CIA and Joannides.

While he and we can now look back with a more clear vision of what happened, he now seems detached and almost disinterested, but I think we can all learn from what he has to say.

My youthful hatred has also been tempered by time, as was Vince Salandria's feelings towards Arlen Specter, as Vince tried to explain in this important essay.

Vince and Arlen have dinner at the Oyster House, settle their differences.

JFKCountercoup2: Salandria forgives Spector

Edited by William Kelly