The Education Forum

Ian Griggs: No Case to Answer

No Case To Answer is a major advance in dealing with the Kennedy assassination. First, its essays address a host of popular research myths which continue to perpetuate themselves and waste the time and energy of both novice and experienced readers. Ian Griggs research enumerates a variety of long-standing myths in regard to events, evidence and people, resolving numerous issues in a clear and concise manner.

Prologue:

1. The structure and organization of the Dallas

Police Department in November 1963

Part I The better-known witnesses:

2. Kennedy assassination witnesses: When pure chance played a part

3. An interview with Bill Newman

4. Where were you when the President was shot, Beverly?

5. Putting myself in Ed Hoffman's shoes

Part II The lesser-known witnesses:

6. Samuel Paternostro-The man whose ears may have told him

more than his eyes

7. Which side would have called Ronald B. Fischer and

Robert E. Edwards?

8. An interview with Johnny Calvin Brewer

9. The British female connection

Photo Section One

Part III Framing Oswald:

10. The Oswald line-ups and the riddle of Howard Leslie Brennan

11. A repudiation of the claim that Lee Harvey Oswald shared a

Dallas jail cell with John Franklin Elrod

12. Oswald- A driving force?

13. Lee Harvey Oswald in Helsinki, Finland: October 1959

Interlude:

14. Just another day at the office

Part IV Manufactured evidence:

15. The four faces of Harry D. Holmes

16. Firearms, photographs and Lee Harvey Oswald

17. The Mannlicher-Carcano: disassembly and reassembly

18. The paper bag that never was

Photo Section Two

Part V Jack Ruby: his club and his girls

19. Jack Ruby's Carousel Club

20. Search for a stripper, the Kathy Kay story

21. An interview with Shari Angel

22. A brief examination of Jack Ruby's possessions

at the time of his arrest

Part VI How the World reacted:

23. Kill that myth!

24. The most carefully planned stamp in postal history

25. Forty years of press coverage of the Kennedy assassination

26. World reaction to the Kennedy assassination

Photo Section Three

Epilogue:

27. Kennedy and Caesar

Ian, thank you for making time to answer questions.

I am interested in Harry D. Holmes. I have read what is posted on Lancer re. 4 faces. It poses many questions. I wish to know if you have managed to answer them? Particularly a photo of him? I'm also curious to know about his associates apart from those that can be gleaned from testimony. Up where he lived he was not far from HL Hunt and Bookhout. Do you know of others he lived close to?

Indirectly, have you come across a Fay Leon Hunt or associates of his?

Thanks in anticipation.

I am interested in Harry D. Holmes. I have read what is posted on Lancer re. 4 faces. It poses many questions. I wish to know if you have managed to answer them? Particularly a photo of him?

A picture of Harry D. Holmes can be found in the illustrations section of "No More Silence" between pages 166-167.

I am interested in Harry D. Holmes. I have read what is posted on Lancer re. 4 faces. It poses many questions. I wish to know if you have managed to answer them? Particularly a photo of him?

A picture of Harry D. Holmes can be found in the illustrations section of "No More Silence" between pages 166-167.

Hey thats good, Ian. Thank you for replying. No chance of posting at least a thumbnail? Or a link to online image?

Further, Richard Craig wrote about a division of politics within the DPD basically by the sound of it Right and Moderate. He also wrote of an individual who had a 'stall' in the entrance of the DPD who was a 'focus' for the Right. I don't understand if this means some sort of news-stand or one of those front office/booking desk areas, or what. Any info on helping to understand who he might have meant?

Also are there any lists of jail inmates/jailers on the 5th floor 11/22? Ive scoured the Online Dallas database with no luck.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I have just read Mr. Griggs' book and I highly recommend it. (Hopefully my endorsement will not be its death warrant.)

The book is interesting and written in a delightful style (due in part to Mr. Griggs' heritage). I think it fair to say it that it is more designed for the assassination research community than for a general readership. But I would certainly recommend it for all members of the Forum. Of course it is a compilation of essays that Mr. Griggs has published before but it is nice to see them collected in one book.

Mr. Griggs devotes a chapter to establishing his premise that Lee Harvey Oswald never carried the rifle into the TSBD in a paper bag. He makes a strong case that the paper bag was manufactured evidence.

I have the following question for Mr. Griggs: Do you then believe that Mr. Frazier lied about the whole "curtain rod" story? (The only implication is that he must have.) If so, do you have any theory why?

An aside: the book has a photo of a young Jim Marrs dancing with Kathy Kay at the Carousel Club. (Fortunately the only things Marrs has revealed are his lower thighs.)

• 1 month later...

Bill Kelly has posted an article on the Forum about the possibility of obtaining a grand jury in order to investigate the assassination of JFK.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5634

I have started a thread where I have asked researchers to put forward evidence that would justify the case being reopened.

As a result of your own research, what evidence is currently available that suggests that Lee Harvey Oswald was not the only one responsible for killing JFK?

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5659

• 1 year later...
Robert,

Can you remember the source for the rumours of Candy Barr's involvement in drug running, especially with R.D. Matthews?

Hopefully Ian Griggs will read this and enlighten us a bit.

John

My first inclination was to refer to Ian Griggs' excellent book No Case to Answer. On page three, Griggs writes:

Special Service Bureau

This was the first of the specialized departments. It operated under the command of Captain W. P. Gannaway who was supported by six Lieutenants, 34 regular Detectives, 14 Patrolmen who were temporarily assigned to the Bureau...

Captain Gannaway (at that time known as "Mr. Narcotics") had been in charge of the notorious 1957 undercover operation and raid that culminated in stripper Candy Barr being arrested for possession of half an ounce of marijuana. For this offence, she was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment, actually serving less than three years before being paroled.

and on page 220:

Another famous name that never worked for Jack Ruby was the notorious Candy Barr. Candy (real name Juanita Slusher Dale Phillips Sahakian) was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for possession of less than half an ounce of marijuana in 1958. She was released on parole after serving less than three years. One of the conditions of her parole was that she was not allowed to continue her normal profession as a stripper. Jack Ruby tried repeatedly to persuade her to work at the Carousel Club but she could not afford to violate her parole conditions as that would have taken her straight back to jail.

I found no other references to Candy Barr and none for R.D. Matthews. I remember reading Ian's essays in The Third Decade and thinking how remarkable that a guy in Britain had such an interest in President Kennedy's murder, and did such great research. I came to find out how many great researchers there were in Great Britain and Ireland. I'm still amazed by that.

Ian's book, No Case to Answer is really underrated, in my opinion. It is a great read with lots of unique research into the city of Dallas, its law enforcement apparatus, and the characters that were involved in one way or another in events surrounding the President's murder.