The Education Forum

Promoting the Forum

John Dolva

John Simkin: "It is not just the JFK Conferences that the media ignores. I suspect Lamar Waldron's book will get very little coverage. Gerald McKnight's Breach of Trust was largely ignored. Joan Mellen is likely to get more press but not for the right reasons. Can we expect Larry Hancock's revised Someone Would Have Talked when it is published in March to get much attention. I doubt it, even though he will probably include the name of the CIA agent who organized the operation.

I was talking to David Talbot about this problem on Tuesday night. I believe his book has the potential to get the headlines when it is published in 2007. Although he is a well known figure in the media world (unlike Lamar Waldron and Larry Hancock), there is no guarrantee this will happen. It is my belief that the research community has got to rethink the way it puts out information into the public domain. After all, Operation Mockingbird is alive and well. Maybe this is a topic for a new thread."

one topic that occurs comes to mind:

This Forum will probably be a contributor to any closure on this subject. With that in mind perhaps a thought should be given to the overall life of it.

One of its strengths is its freeflow nature. Topic spawns topics that go on down paths that are dropped and revisited and so on.

Some people post here after serious research and then post succinct articles 'ready for publication', others submit tenuous thought patterns that may or may not lead somehere. All in some way are valuable.

Access to the material generated may be part of a problem.

Journalists and researchers need ready access.

________

A hierarchical or linearly structured 'database' is difficult to navigate.

I wonder if there is some technology available, such as the engines that drive search engines that could continuously create and recreate an index that presents short abstract and hyperlinks, that resides in the Forum only, to aid access? Access>usefulness>exposure>likelyhood of mention of forum and books.

________

I understand 'googling' is a word in the dictionary now:

"Darn it, I have to have this in by 6pm, I can't find anything on this?" "Well , have you tried 'edding'?"

"Darn it, I have to have this in by 6pm, I can't find anything on this?" "Well , have you tried 'edding'?"

John,

Yes I have, actually, and I STILL can't find it!

(Just kidding, as usual)

Thomas

John,

Yes I have, actually, and I STILL can't find it!

(Just kidding, as usual)

Thomas

hey , no Thomas that's good. Unfortunately I often abandon searches because or duplicates and irrelevant 'bumpers' and 'one liners'. A different search engine could be set to filter out duplicates and present all one-liners in one 'page' so a quick scan can ignore irrelevancies. A database that can be queeried could maybe also be set up to create hyperlinking within the search results so that the linear structure could be broken.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I have been doing a bit of promotional work for books that I feel need to be read by more citizens.

I have written reviews and severeral brief comments about Joan Mellens book, Breach of Trust, and Act of State on the current events forum of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper (the original paper of Joe Pulitzer)

Some of these forums of the major daily newspapers get quite a lot of traffic.

This could be a way of promoting this forum. Of course the comments will have to be whittled down to a particular point, hopefully with some connection to current events (not too difficult with the wealth of solid research at this forum)

In paticular I recommend drawing newcomer's attention to the index of subjects. These solid backgrounders let the newcommers know that the forum is based on solid research rather than rumor mongering.

• 2 months later...

Once again, the more I read some of the threads on the index that are organized by topic, the more I am anxious to get this information out to more people

I suggested in the above post that we might let a lot of people know about the forum by posting about it on the major daily's forum boards.

As an example I have just posted on the

stltoday current events forum a post that is tailored to get more viewers to this forum.

TO see this google; stltoday forums current events

My thread is the one that starts with Porter Goss. I also posted later on the JFK thread.

Now think if there were similar posts on a lot of different national newspapers fourms.

The reason I am typing this is because I think we need to think strategically about developing a critical mass

who is aware about some of the research on this forum. We cant just sit around waiting for the next front page reviews of Posner.

Not how these posts can be tailored to specific topics in the index such as OPPERATION MOCKINGBIRD. I like to stress the index because these topics can be a quicker inroads for novices. I am wondering if there is anyone interested in a systematic effort to attract more readers to the forum.

By the way my screen name on the above named site is oujiQualm, in case you care to take a look.

Just think what or who we might catch if we cast the nets a bit wider?

The main way I promote this Forum is that when I construct a page on a character I also start a thread on that person on the Forum. As a result of my Google ranking, the web page usually gets to the top or very near to the top when doing a search on this character. Therefore, when the person visits the page, they often then go to the Forum. This is why we have so many of the people I have written about join the Forum.

Yes, journalists do make use of this Forum. Some investigative journalists are regulars. Others reach it via my website. For example, I have noticed that several recent obituaries published in newspapers have lifted passages from my website. This is understandable as all journalists use Google to find information.