The Education Forum

Carl Jenkins

John Simkin

John, I doubt that Jenkins was Morales boss in 1963 as Morales was reporting directly to Shackley on his JM/WAVE work and probably had a dotted line report to Fitzgerald follwoing the departure of Harvey. That appears to have been in support of the continued Castro assassination effort which seems to have gone on after it was officially shut down with the departure of Harvey. The Harvey-Roselli meeting down there in the spring seems to have been related to this compartmentalized continuation as it occured away from JM/WAVE yet was conducted under the ZR/RIFLE crypt.

Point taken. I had an email this morning from a reliable CIA source confirming that Morales reported directly to Shackley.

But wasn't that Shackley masquerading as "Larry Florer" in Dealy Plaza?

(Not.)

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his article in The Intelligencer: Journal of U.S. Intelligence Studies, the CIA asset, Don Bohning (code-name AMCARBON-3) relies heavily on two telephone interviews with Carl Jenkins. I have made several attempts to contact Jenkins, but his grandson, Kent Jenkins, and granddaughter, Heather Benfield, both claimed that he was unable to discuss his activities in the CIA for reasons of national security. However, it seems that he is allowed to talk to CIA assets like Bohning.

The two interviews with Jenkins took place on 28th August and 6th September 2007. His main objective is to discredit the information on my web page on him.

It's uncertain from where Quintero's alleged link to the November 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy - along with Carl Jenkins, another of his onetime CIA case officers - originated. The most likely source is Gene Wheaton, a strange duck who surfaced around the time of the Iran-Contra scandal, with which Quintero, Jenkins and Wheaton all became entangled.

I make it quite clear in the text that my claims are based on the interview that Gene Wheaton gave to William Law and Mark Sobel in 2005.

Jenkins, a previous acquaintance of Wheaton, who had been sleeping in his car, provided him a place to sleep in a Washington DC area apartment that Jenkins kept during the Iran-Contra period. Jenkins, in a telephone interview, described Wheaton "as a piece of work," and cautioned me that "you should read a book on paranoia before you do any more. He (Wheaton) is a paranoid character of grandiosity and conspiracy. He's got to be in the middle of everything. Always seems to be one of these little guys on the fringe ...everything is a conspiracy."

Jenkins said Wheaton "had made some of these allegations" that he and Quintero had somehow been involved in the JFK assassination, but they had known nothing about them until later. "If somebody was in the same country at the same time, they were part of some sort of conspiracy," said Jenkins of Wheaton. "He had picked up a couple of old airplanes and tried to put together a cargo airline… he got a contract out of Memphis or Louisville, hauling stuff for somebody else. He had no assets, no capability. He had the grand idea that he would somehow get huge contracts for the Iran operation."

Bohning fails to mention that it was Wheaton who was the main figure who exposed the Iran-Contra Scandal. in May 1986 Wheaton told William Casey, director of the CIA, about what he knew about this illegal operation. Casey refused to take any action, claiming that the agency or the government were not involved in what later became known as Irangate.

According to David Corn (Blonde Ghost: Ted Shackley and the CIA Crusade) in 1985 Jenkins introduced Gene Wheaton to Paul Hoven. Jenkins and Wheaton were at this time involved in trying to "win federal contracts to transport humanitarian supplies to anticommunist rebels, including the Mujahedeen of Afghanistan and the Contras". They failed in this venture and then complained to the State Department about the activities of Richard Secord, Oliver North, Ted Shackley, Edwin Wilson and Tom Clines.

Hoven arranged for Wheaton to meet with Daniel Sheehan, a left-wing lawyer. Wheaton told him that Tom Clines and Ted Shackley had been running a top-secret assassination unit since the early 1960s. According to Wheaton, it had begun with an assassination training program for Cuban exiles and the original target had been Fidel Castro.

Paul Hoven also put Wheaton into contact with Newt Royce and Mike Acoca, two journalists based in Washington. The first article on this scandal appeared in the San Francisco Examiner on 27th July, 1986. As a result of this story, Congressman Dante Fascell wrote a letter to the Secretary of Defense, Casper Weinberger, asking him if it "true that foreign money, kickback money on programs, was being used to fund foreign covert operations." Two months later, Weinberger denied that the government knew about this illegal operation.

On 5th October, 1986, a Sandinista patrol in Nicaragua shot down a C-123K cargo plane that was supplying the Contras. Eugene Hasenfus, an Air America veteran, survived the crash and told his captors that he thought the CIA was behind the operation. He also provided information on two Cuban-Americans running the operation in El Salvador. This resulted in journalists being able to identify Rafael 'Chi Chi' Quintero and Felix Rodriguez as the two Cuban-Americans mentioned by Hasenfus. It gradually emerged that Clines, Oliver North, Edwin Wilson and Richard Secord were also involved in this conspiracy to provide arms to the Contras.

According to Simkin's website - and without identifying the source, although it is likely to have been Wheaton - Quintero is quoted as once saying: "If I were ever granted immunity, and compelled to testify about past actions, about Dallas and the Bay of Pigs, it would be the biggest scandal ever to rock the United States." Quintero categorically denied to me in informal luncheon conversations before his death that he had ever made such a statement.

Once again Bohning lies about what is on my website. I make it clear that my source for this statement is an article by Reinaldo Taladrid and Lazaro Baredo in Granma on 15th January, 2006.

Simkin's website has about as much misinformation about Jenkins as it does about Quintero. The second paragraph of the Jenkins profile states:

According to Jenkins he "had nothing to do with Guatemala" and wasn't even in the CIA. "I was a captain in the Marine Corps on active duty as an instructor for a reserve unit in Rome, Georgia. I didn't even know about Guatemala until years later." After nine years in the Marines, beginning in 1943, he was recruited by the Agency in 1952 and sent to "The Farm," the secret Agency paramilitary training facility in Virginia, as a survival instructor. With the Korean War ending in 1953 and the Agency cutting back in personnel, he rejoined the Marines and was sent to Rome, Georgia, where he spent 1953 and 1954 rebuilding a Marine reserve rifle company, before returning to the CIA in 1955. [The Arbenz overthrow in Guatemala occurred in 1954]. He later was involved in both the Bay of Pigs and in Laos, although contradicting Simkin's claim, he said he "never worked for [Ted] Shackley and never worked with him," in either Miami or Laos."

It is strange that Jenkins complains about something that was not on my website. My main source on Jenkins is Larry Hancock. He discovered that Jenkins joined the CIA in 1952 where he "became a CIA paramilitary, survival, evasion and escape trainer for the CIA." It was during this period that he first worked on covert operations with Tracy Barnes, E.Howard Hunt, William (Rip) Robertson, David Atlee Phillips and David Morales.

Larry was unable to discover what Jenkins was up to in 1954. The next time he surfaces in the documents is in 1955. As he points out in "Someone Would Have Talked (2006): "From 1955-1958 Jenkins served as an instructor for paramilitary tactics and resistance and trained cadre for both the Thai Border Police and the Chinese Nationalist Special Forces". Carl Jenkins became Training & Operations Officer for maritime infiltration of small teams in the SE Asia Project. This involved Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines (1958-1959).

According to the interview he gave Bohning: "After the Korean War the CIA cut back in staff and in 1953 he rejoined the Marines and was sent to Rome, Georgia, where he was involved in rebuilding a Marine reserve rifle company, before returning to the CIA in 1955."

What Jenkins does not want to talk about is his work at JM/WAVE. In 1960 he was appointed as Chief of Base for Cuban Project. He was responsible for the selection and training of cadre, assignment of officers for invasion brigade, maritime infiltration and operational management of small teams and individual agents.

Carl Jenkins was also involved in AMWORLD, a CIA program to remove Fidel Castro. In the summer of 1963 he worked closely with David Morales in providing paramilitary training for Manuel Artime and Rafael 'Chi Chi' Quintero and other members of the Movement for the Recovery of the Revolution (MRR). It was at this time Jenkins and Quintero became involved in the plot to assassinate Castro. According to Wheaton, this operation was then used against JFK.

Researchers will have to make a choice betwen the reliability of Wheaton or Jenkins. I know which one I believe.

• 2 years later...

I see that Wikipedia has now created an entry for Carl Jenkins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Elmer_Jenkins

The page includes a link to my page on Jenkins but does not repeat my claims that he was involved in the assassination of JFK.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKjenkinsC.htm

Wikipedia says he should not be mixed up with Karl Jenkins, the composer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jenkins

Indeed, the two men are very different. Karl Jenkins is one of the most important composers in recent times.

The page includes a link to my page on Jenkins but does not repeat my claims that he was involved in the assassination of JFK.

Indeed, the two men are very different. Karl Jenkins is one of the most important composers in recent times.

The other Karl Jenkins:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=17824

The Wikipedia Carl Elmer Jenkins page has existed there since November of 2007, with a link to the Spartacus page since the start.

(Click the "page history" link on Wikipedia articles to see edit history.)

• 2 months later...

I'm very interested in learning more about Carl Elmer Jenkins. Are there any other photographs of him available besides his passport?

There are only a small handful of documents on Mary Ferrell on him as well. Jenkins did use the pseudonym "James E. Beckhoff." Here are a couple worth noting:

Safe Houses for AMWORLD as discussed with Michael C. CHOADIN

11/21/63 Telecom with Beckhoff [Jenkins] and Reuteman [shackley]

11/1/67 Possible Guerrilla Activity in Chile

Does anyone know if he used any other field names, and if so, what they were? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Zach

Here are a couple other items on Jenkins:

Posted on Sat, Apr. 16, 2011 The Miami Herald

Useppa: island with a Bay of Pigs pedigree

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/16/2170877/useppa-island-with-a-bay-of-pigs.html

By DON BOHNING

dbohning@aol.com

Shaded by ancient banyan trees, the old "pink path" links Useppa's Collier Inn with other parts of the 100-acre island.

As historians look back 50 years on the Bay of Pigs invasion, one often-ignored sidelight is the small but important role played by a tiny island off Florida’s Gulf Coast.

Useppa, a secluded, sun-dappled 100-acre plot of land west of Fort Myers, briefly became a jumping off point for the dreams of Cuban exiles yearning to take back their country. Here is the story of that role as told to the author by Carl Jenkins, a CIA officer who also served in the Marines.

Jenkins had been training an infiltration teams in Saipan, in the western Pacific, to help bring about the eventual downfall of Indonesian’s President Sukarno when he was recalled and sent to Miami for a somewhat similar assignment involving a dictatorial leader closer to home.

When he arrived, Jenkins said in the 2008 interview at his home in Texas, he joined forces with Manuel Artime, a disaffected one-time Castro revolutionary considered by the CIA to be the key to any effort by exiles to mount an invasion of their homeland. Artime had connections to the Agrupacion Catolica, a student group tied to Havana’s Villanova University. He also knew disaffected Cuban army troops.

“We came to an understanding that Artime would provide the students and he would establish contact with ex-Cuban Army people,’’ said Jenkins. “They knew each other, but they weren’t prepared to work together at that point.”

Meanwhile, the CIA was arranging cover and setting up a covert training facility on Useppa, located 15 to 20 minutes by boat off Florida’s Gulf Coast.

For centuries, the island had seen only occasional use by fisherman and adventurers. In 1894, it was acquired by John M. Roach, a Chicago street-car tycoon.

One of Roach’s guests was Baron G. Collier, a New York advertising executive and wealthy Florida land owner who developed much of Southwest Florida (Collier County is named for him) and built the Tamiami Trail between Miami and Tampa.

Now, it was to become the first covert CIA base in Florida.

Freddie Goudie, a well-to-do Cuban businessman of Scottish descent, along with a half dozen others, provided the cover, leasing the island under Goudie’s name. Jenkins was listed as the company manager.

THE WHITE CASTLE

“The idea,” said Jenkins, “was that Goudie and his group had contracted with a personnel company that would assess the abilities of all the people that they sent over there and try and assign them to jobs that they fitted…based on language abilities and so forth.”

President Eisenhower signed off March 17, 1960, on what was to become the Bay of Pigs. Jenkins and another CIA agent started ferrying recruits from Miami to Useppa a month later.

In two rental cars, he and a CIA colleague would pick up the exile recruits in the afternoon at a White Castle parking lot on Brickell Avenue in downtown Miami. They would then drive on the old Tamiami Trail through the Everglades to the departure point by boat for Useppa, returning the same night; a round trip of some 300 miles.

A SUBTERFUGE

Jenkins estimates it took a couple of months to ferry the 80 exile recruits to Useppa where he decided “we needed to have serial numbers if we were going to have a semi-military operation. We would start with 2,500…if they were picked up and asked for their serial numbers it would indicated there were 2,500, or more than there actually were…the first number went to Goudie, the front man.”

The arriving recruits were housed at the island’s Collier Inn, formerly known as the Tarpon Inn. As part of the vetting process, personnel assessments were prepared and lie-detector tests were given.

“Before we were finished, we knew more about these people than their parents did,” said Jenkins. It was the beginning of what eventually was to become Brigade 2506, although at the time there was no intention of a brigade or an invasion. “It was August, 1960, before that idea was ever sold…and I opposed it from the start,” said Jenkins.

ON TO PANAMA

In June, 1960, about 30 of the 80 or so recruits at Useppa were sent to Panama for further training in communications as radio operators, as well as intelligence gathering and propaganda. Most of the others went to a newly opened training base in Guatemala. Jenkins was to become the first commander there as well.

As for Useppa, it now is an exclusive home for the well-to-do, with, according to its website: “140 privately owned homesites, two marinas, two food and beverage facilities, a retail store, a wide array of island accommodations, a service department and a utility company.”

The island is administered by The Useppa Island Club.

You can’t just drop in. To get to the island as a visitor, advance permission is required.

The island’s boast: No Bridges, No Cars, No Crowds.

But it does have a history. And a Bay of Pigs pedigree that is unique.

Don Bohning, a retired Miami Herald Latin America editor, is author of ‘The Castro Obsession: US Covert Activities Against Cuba 1959-1965.’

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/16/v-print/2170877/useppa-island-with-a-bay-of-pigs.html#ixzz1WrLuEu66

Here is a snippet of another from the Washington Post

The Ultimate Conspiracy Theory; From Nixon to North, From Castro to the Contras, the Christics Can Explain It All

The Washington Post

Author: Mark Hosenball

Date: Sep 11, 1988

BUY ME! THE WASHINGTON POST NEEDS $$

Together, [Daniel Sheehan] asserts, these unlikely partners devised a plan to train a secret band of ultra-right-wing Cuban exiles-or "contras," as Sheehan cleverly calls them-who would be infiltrated into Cuba to foment a counter-revolutionary uprising. Within this clandestine army was an even more secret squadron allegedly composed of professional assassins. Sheehan calls them the "shooter team" and says that in 1962 a young CIA officer named Ted Shackley and a sidekick named Tom Clines were put in charge of the "contra war" against [Fidel Castro].

While in Southeast Asia, according to Sheehan, Shackley and his accomplices got up to a variety of nefarious activities, ranging from a campaign of political assassinations in Vietnam to meetings with Florida gangsters and Laotian opium warlords. Sheehan adds that during a brief sabbatical as head of the CIA's Latin America division in Washington in the early 1970s, Shackley managed to mount a military coup against Salvador Allende, the Chilean Marxist. Meanwhile, according to a version of the theory outlined by Sheehan in a speech on Sept. 4, 1987, three members of the "shooter team" were among those arrested while planting bugs in the Watergate offices of the Democratic National Committee; other team members were involved in the assassination of President [John Fitzgerald Kennedy].

Then it was back to serious dirty work, according to allegations made by Sheehan in court documents. Serving first as the CIA's East Asia operations chief and later as assistant deputy director of clandestine operations, Shackley (with his trusty aide Clines) supposedly stole tons of U.S. weapons from South Vietnam and stashed them in Thailand. Later, Sheehan claims, Shackley, Clines, [Richard V. Secord] and a member of the "shooter team" named Rafael "Chi-Chi" Quintero siphoned off millions of dollars in Southeast Asia opium profits and laundered them through the mysterious Nugan Hand bank of Australia.

Link to google news archives for "Carl Jenkins" "CIA"

Most of these items are Pay-Per-View, and I can certainly appreciate the bigwigs at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram trying to profit off an article from June 14, 1992 - but, to me, this is easily one of the most annoying aspects of research :angry:

Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson

Again Zach, thanks for reviving a most important and interesting thread. I know you're aware of Pat Speer's post (reproduced below) mentioning another alias used by Jenkins.

I'm very interested in learning more about Carl Elmer Jenkins. Are there any other photographs of him available besides his passport?

There are only a small handful of documents on Mary Ferrell on him as well. Jenkins did use the pseudonym "James E. Beckhoff." Here are a couple worth noting:

Safe Houses for AMWORLD as discussed with Michael C. CHOADIN

11/21/63 Telecom with Beckhoff [Jenkins] and Reuteman [shackley]

11/1/67 Possible Guerrilla Activity in Chile

Does anyone know if he used any other field names, and if so, what they were? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Zach

I was just reading the 1978 HSCA testimony of Carlos Hernandez on Larry Hancock's

cd rom (which I recently re-found). (Chapter 5, Exhibit 2) On page 42 and

43, he identifies Carl Jenkins as the agent in charge of an infiltration

training camp based on Usepa Island, off the coast of New Orleans. He

adds that Jenkins was using the name Carl James.

This supports Gene Wheaton's statements about Jenkins' connections to the anti-Castro community and New Orleans..

Larry Hancock has confirmed that he hadn't read Hernandez' testimony since the recent interest in Jenkins (had any of us?). He will be adding this information to his website..

As James Richards and Pat Speer discussed, Useppa Island is off the Gulf Coast of Florida, although it is really not near Tampa at all. In the late seventies while boating on the

Intercoastal Waterway, some friends of mine and I went ashore at Useppa. It was obvious that the island had enjoyed some former glory, but had been largely abandoned.

The island was desolate then, it's so much different today. Today there is the Useppa Island Historical Society; they have a website and phone number. They include in their

history that the island was used as a training location for CIA officers. It's a long shot, but you might want to contact them to see if they have any more information.

Just a small point on that Bohning telephone interview where Jenkins describes meeting at a White Castle near Brickell Ave in Miami. It was not White Castle, it was Royal Castle.

Zach, what do you think about Peter Dale Scott's post #89 on this thread?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I probably saw Pat's post at some point but I have been through so many Forum pages, I can't remember. Thanks for bringing it back.

I very much respect Mr. Scott and all the great work he has done. His reply was from 6 years ago and I think it might be worth revisiting this subject. I think Larry Hancock has done the best job in disseminating the information surrounding Carl Jenkins and it is included in the 2010 update to his great book, Someone Would Have Talked.

I'm interested in learning all I can about Carl Jenkins.

Zach

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Oct released docs on AMWORLD with reports by Jenkins.

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/2018/104-10308-10080.pdf

Jenkins report on Artime about sending Tony Izquierdo and Silvano POSO (?)Carrillo to Panama in 1965 (page eight)

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/2018/104-10163-10123.pdf

• 1 year later...

I am fascinated by Carl Elmer Jenkins and Gene Wheaton right now.  The information relayed through his (Gene's) taped interviews is utterly priceless and makes SO MUCH sense when looking back at the Guatemala-Iraq period of US history.  I realize the absolute specifics are few, and that stands to reason.  He emphatically says at one point in his interview, 'It's not like somebody sat me down and explicitly laid out what happened in 1963', he was able to piece together what happened through decades of conversation both to and around him by covert operators at that time.  Is there any reason to doubt Gene Wheaton?

I also find it amazing that Carl Jenkins was able to avoid the "spotlight" for so long, even though it's only like the dim flickering of a lighter actually...

The guy responsible for the recruitment of BOP participants, who ran Maritime operations against Cuba for years, and was training a rifle assassination team to eliminate Castro in 1963 was basically unknown to researchers until 2005?  I suppose it was his ability to fall into what appears to be a fairly normal existence in the 1970's right until the present day that enabled this invisibility.  I believe he is still alive and must still be protected by certain (most?) doc releases, correct? 

Although it seems clear Carl Jenkins was highly unlikely to discuss his life/career with anyone outside his immediate circle of family and friends, it's hard to understand the (apparent) inaction of Anne Buttimer of the ARRB when dealing with Gene Wheaton.  The fact that she left the Board and is apparently unwilling/unable to discuss Mr Wheaton is a bit peculiar.  It's impossible to believe that someone could forget such allegations during a face to face interview.

Daniel Sheehan's book look's to cover a critical juncture in the live's of Wheaton and Jenkins.  The copy online leaves out the page right after Elisabeth Jenkins, herself a high ranking CIA psychologist, gives her husband the OK to work with Wheaton and Sheehan in an effort to blow the lid off Iran-Contra (among other goals).   I've ordered a copy and hope to learn a good deal more concerning this matter.  Are there indications that Wheaton and Jenkins had a falling out after this jaw-dropping scandal was (sort-of) exposed?  Possibly due to the way that Sheehan handled it?

Any info on Jenkins or Wheaton would be gladly welcomed.

1 hour ago, Brendan Boucher said:

I am fascinated by Carl Elmer Jenkins and Gene Wheaton right now.  The information relayed through his (Gene's) taped interviews is utterly priceless and makes SO MUCH sense when looking back at the Guatemala-Iraq period of US history.  I realize the absolute specifics are few, and that stands to reason.  He emphatically says at one point in his interview, 'It's not like somebody sat me down and explicitly laid out what happened in 1963', he was able to piece together what happened through decades of conversation both to and around him by covert operators at that time.  Is there any reason to doubt Gene Wheaton?

I also find it amazing that Carl Jenkins was able to avoid the "spotlight" for so long, even though it's only like the dim flickering of a lighter actually...

The guy responsible for the recruitment of BOP participants, who ran Maritime operations against Cuba for years, and was training a rifle assassination team to eliminate Castro in 1963 was basically unknown to researchers until 2005?  I suppose it was his ability to fall into what appears to be a fairly normal existence in the 1970's right until the present day that enabled this invisibility.  I believe he is still alive and must still be protected by certain (most?) doc releases, correct? 

Although it seems clear Carl Jenkins was highly unlikely to discuss his life/career with anyone outside his immediate circle of family and friends, it's hard to understand the (apparent) inaction of Anne Buttimer of the ARRB when dealing with Gene Wheaton.  The fact that she left the Board and is apparently unwilling/unable to discuss Mr Wheaton is a bit peculiar.  It's impossible to believe that someone could forget such allegations during a face to face interview.

Daniel Sheehan's book look's to cover a critical juncture in the live's of Wheaton and Jenkins.  The copy online leaves out the page right after Elisabeth Jenkins, herself a high ranking CIA psychologist, gives her husband the OK to work with Wheaton and Sheehan in an effort to blow the lid off Iran-Contra (among other goals).   I've ordered a copy and hope to learn a good deal more concerning this matter.  Are there indications that Wheaton and Jenkins had a falling out after this jaw-dropping scandal was (sort-of) exposed?  Possibly due to the way that Sheehan handled it?

Any info on Jenkins or Wheaton would be gladly welcomed.

Brendan,

In addition to the links that David posted above, I highly recommend Larry Hancock's book,  Someone Would Have Talked.    If I recall, Larry devoted and entire chapter to Gene Wheaton and his associations with Carl Jenkins and Raphael "Chi Chi" Quintero.