The Education Forum

Ruby and Oswald

Tim Gratz

It has been reported that in 1990 the then AG of Texas, a man named Mattox, stated that his mother, who was a waitress, had seen Ruby and Oswald together in her employer's restaurant on more than one occasion.

Does anyone have any additional information on this assertion? E.g., where he first made it, why it was made so late in the game, whether it was ever investigated, etc?

Thanks!

It has been reported that in 1990 the then AG of Texas, a man named Mattox, stated that his mother, who was a waitress, had seen Ruby and Oswald together in her employer's restaurant on more than one occasion.

Does anyone have any additional information on this assertion? E.g., where he first made it, why it was made so late in the game, whether it was ever investigated, etc?

Thanks!

Tim, think this is part of the Rosco White story, and Mattox is Attorney General Jim Mattox (see below), George

RUBY, OSWALD MEETING

In another curious twist to the case, Mattox said late Monday he is

interested in pursing the White story because he was once told by his

mother, a waitress at Campisi's Egyptian Restaurant in Dallas, that Ruby

frequented the restaurant and that she thought she saw Ruby and Oswald

eating dinner there together once.

The restaurant owner, the late Joe Campisi, testified before the House

Select Committee on Assassinations in 1978 that he didn't see Oswald in his

eatery, Mattox said.

Mattox said he believes he has jurisdiction in the case, and he would

interview White and his associates "to see what they've got and let them

explain it to me."

"The key to the thing, of course, is, if the FBI acknowledges seeing

the diary," Mattox said. "The only thing to do is to get a look at the

diary or acknowledgement (by the FBI) that it existed."

"This is not a solution to the John Kennedy case," Fensterwald said

after Ricky White told his story. "It's information we think is important,

and we think it's true. Even if what is said here today checks out, the

case is not solved. We still don't know who planned it and paid for it and

basically what the shooting was about. The best we can hope for is to get

out of this an idea of who the actual assassins were."

It may be difficult for Mattox or anybody else to do much with the case

without the Roscoe White diary, which disappeared in 1988. The leather

bound journal talked about the assassination and the aftermath, said Ricky

White, adding that he and his mother read it.

Roscoe White died of injuries sustained in an explosive fire in 1971.

His widow, Geneva, is critically ill and, according to family members,

unable to be interviewed.

Edited by George Bollschweiler

Thanks!

Tim, think this is part of the Rosco White story, and Mattox is Attorney General Jim Mattox (see below), George

RUBY, OSWALD MEETING

In another curious twist to the case, Mattox said late Monday he is

interested in pursing the White story because he was once told by his

mother, a waitress at Campisi's Egyptian Restaurant in Dallas, that Ruby

frequented the restaurant and that she thought she saw Ruby and Oswald

eating dinner there together once.

The restaurant owner, the late Joe Campisi, testified before the House

Select Committee on Assassinations in 1978 that he didn't see Oswald in his

eatery, Mattox said.

Mattox said he believes he has jurisdiction in the case, and he would

interview White and his associates "to see what they've got and let them

explain it to me."

"The key to the thing, of course, is, if the FBI acknowledges seeing

the diary," Mattox said. "The only thing to do is to get a look at the

diary or acknowledgement (by the FBI) that it existed."

"This is not a solution to the John Kennedy case," Fensterwald said

after Ricky White told his story. "It's information we think is important,

and we think it's true. Even if what is said here today checks out, the

case is not solved. We still don't know who planned it and paid for it and

basically what the shooting was about. The best we can hope for is to get

out of this an idea of who the actual assassins were."

It may be difficult for Mattox or anybody else to do much with the case

without the Roscoe White diary, which disappeared in 1988. The leather

bound journal talked about the assassination and the aftermath, said Ricky

White, adding that he and his mother read it.

Roscoe White died of injuries sustained in an explosive fire in 1971.

His widow, Geneva, is critically ill and, according to family members,

unable to be interviewed.

At the risk of sounding condescending, which I do not mean to be, assertions whether pro or con, that Ruby and Oswald were linked are actually quite extensive.

I will suggest a few "places to go" if one really wants to explore the topic.

Go to maryferrell.org and insert "Ruby Oswald" in the search function.

Go to the City of Dallas - JFK Archive on the Internet (don't have URL handy Google it., and be prepared to spend some time there) there are extensive 'reports' by individuals circa 1964 that Ruby and Oswald knew each other. I believe although I am not sure that some of this material may not be in the Warren Report, (which I believe enhances, rather than casts aspersions upon same)

John Armstrong's research into "The Two Oswald's delves into this area as well.

Ron Lewis Book about Oswald, (although I do not assert or deny his 'credibility.')

One "Ruby/Oswald" book is written by someone with a connection to Ruby, in some form and does not appear to me to have been written with any other purpose than to quash those allegations whether True or False. But that's 'my opinion.'

I am also sure that there are numerous posts on the Forum concerning this "allegation" in the vault, so to speak.

BUT! The most intruiging assertion I have ever read about concerning "Ruby and Oswald" concerns a story that I read on one of the many JFK Forum's (not this one, I don't think) which stated (source unknown Penn Jones, perhaps) that there were 'several Southwestern Bell Employee's (provided telephone service to Dallas 1963, now SBC Communications,) who contacted the Dallas Police Department stating that there was a 'special phone line' in which Oswald and Ruby spoke via telephone over an extensive period of time before 11/22/63. The allegations were not only never investigated, but the SW Bell Employee's who made this information known were "transferred' to a location quite far from Dallas, Permanently.

As to the last paragraph, I do not even pretend to know whether this is a bogus story or true, just added 'for the record.'

Then you can be up to date on the vast realm of material on 'that subject.'

Edited by Robert Howard

At the risk of sounding condescending, which I do not mean to be, assertions whether pro or con, that Ruby and Oswald were linked are actually quite extensive.

Go to the City of Dallas - JFK Archive on the Internet (don't have URL handy Google it., and be prepared to spend some time there) there are extensive 'reports' by individuals circa 1964 that Ruby and Oswald knew each other. I believe although I am not sure that some of this material may not be in the Warren Report, (which I believe enhances, rather than casts aspersions upon same)

Ron Lewis Book about Oswald, (although I do not assert or deny his 'credibility.')

One "Ruby/Oswald" book is written by someone with a connection to Ruby, in some form and does not appear to me to have been written with any other purpose than to quash those allegations whether True or False. But that's 'my opinion.'

I am also sure that there are numerous posts on the Forum concerning this "allegation" in the vault, so to speak.

You are absolutely right Howard, there are many "places" that are dealing with Ruby and Oswald. I

only wanted to answer Tim's request if there are any infos on that, why it was made so late, to get the name Mattox into the right context and finally to give some infos about the mentioned restaurant. B)

George

You are absolutely right Howard, there are many "places" that are dealing with Ruby and Oswald. I

only wanted to answer Tim's request if there are any infos on that, why it was made so late, to get the name Mattox into the right context and finally to give some infos about the mentioned restaurant. ;)

George

Pardon, my faux pax