The Education Forum

Tosh Plumlee

Gerry, you seem to be spending a lot of time criticizing Tosh Plumlee recently. Would it not be better to answer some of the claims made by Joan Mellen about you? Until you do address these issues it seems to me that your reputation as a reliable witness will remain in doubt. See this thread:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3173

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

duplicate post

Tosh.

Hi res book scan of Cancellare, cropped and enhanced.

Interesting.

- lee

Lee Thanks:

Tom Willson some years ago did photo work on this print. Peter Lemkin somehow got the orginal neg for him. Tom said his findings were two people in the shadow of the trees one down low on the slope of the hill; one a little higher up. The light areas are in contrast and brake the shadow lines of the tree and tree trunk, indicating something iwithn the shadows. He also said to Lemkin and others that he thought he had found another person near the overpass at the parking lot near parked cars.

He and Peter had a falling out and he would not release the picture or his findings to Pete. I talked with Tom before he died and he told me he wanted to do more work before he released his findings. Jim Marrs also knows this information and I think was told the same thing by Wilson, however I am not sure about this. It does appear from just new tech that people are at that location. I have said for years that this needs to be investigated futher, but for whatever reasons nobody has taken it serious. In fact some have gone out of their way to discrerdit the possibility that someone is there even to the point of altering the picture to discredit the south knoll story.

Tom Died suddenly. Not sure of the date. Jack White also studied the picture but he said there was nothing there almost to the effect 'it was all in my head", hence no real work was done on it at that time 1989-90 by him.

thanks for the work you've done on this. What do you think?

Tosh,

At first blush, I see multiple objects which could be people in that crop - need to look at it more closely.

Additionally, I don't know that you saw the hi res scan I did of the pick-up, closer to the underpass. There are at least 3 people at the truck. I managed to get an original UPI 1963 B&W 8x10 from eBay. Unfortunately, the area which included 'SOB man' was cropped out.

You can see the truck area in the GKS shooter thread.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5441

I would like to work a bit more on the Cancellare image - the best I've been able to find relative to quality is performing a book scan. It's a shame I didn't have that area in the UPI 8x10. There would be a lot less doubt as to what is back there.

BTW - the South Knoll area is quite interesting. There is very little coverage of it from the published stuff available stuff from 11/22. I took that view of it [attached] in 2004 I think.

I had tried to find a decent version of this photo and this area for Peter some time ago - I'll send him the scan I did, and try to do another one.

- lee

Quite some time back on another forum we were discussing the guy in the image below, the one wearing the silver cross around his neck. Due to some unfriendly people who kept redirecting the thread, I found myself completely confused.

I believe the man wearing the silver cross was identified as Sergio Sanchez, brother of Celia Sanchez.

The next morning, November 22, 1963, about 4:30-5 a.m., our weather briefing was not favorable for a VFR flight into Dallas's Red Bird airport. We selected Garland as an alternate in case the weather had not improved by the time we arrived near Dallas air space.... I only began to learn the full scope of the operation from my pilot Rojas and a field operative friend of mine named Sergio.... Although my specific assigned function was only as a pilot, upon arriving at Redbird Airport, Sergio asked me if I wanted to come along and see the President. I could also act as a spotter for him and his team, which, he said, were assigned to the south side of the plaza. I was told other members of the team would be patrolling the north side and the overpass. I understood we would be looking for a type of triangulation ambush. I gladly accepted Sergio's offer. It seemed like an adventure I didn't want to miss. We were driven from Red Bird Airport to a place not far from the Oak Cliff Country Club, then driven to Dealey Plaza, where we (Sergio and I) checked various areas and attempted to spot potential members of an attack team from the position on the South Knoll.... While on the south knoll, Sergio and I were attempting to evaluate the most logical places where shooters might be located, but everything was confused, the timing was off, team members were late getting into position. They were not where they were supposed to be and the limited radio contacts that we had with them were not working, or spotty at best. It was soon after our arrival that the motorcade arrived. When the shots rang out, I had the impression of 4 or 5 shots, with one being fired from behind and to my left on the South Knoll, near the underpass and south parking lot. While leaving via the south side of the underpass near the train tracks, Sergio and I smelled gunpowder....

While he's at it, maybe Tosh could identify the men in the above photo?

T.C.

All I know about him is he was with Frank's Colum 9, or had been with, I was told. I had his war name at one time and his picture was hanging up in the old Alpha-66 Hdq before they move. I am the one behind him. I was only there because a weapons drop to Raul and Debora Espin (pho) went bad and they help me get out after our aircraft went down. I was not active with the rebels as some have said. Some of this has been posted on other places and it should be checked out. I am working of memory. I sure some will take exceptions. None the less, I am doing my best and can only talk about what I know or what I think I know. In 1957 I was 20.

-----------------------------------------

The photo was taken by Wendell Hoffman, Bob Taber's photographer. Wendell gave some of his exposed roles of film to Tom Dunkin, who took them out to Miami.

When Wendell was at No Name Key, during September 1962, he met with Tom, and reminded Dunkin that: He had never seen any of the pix after that point in time [April 1957]. Dunkin told him he had them at his office -- at the newspaper he worked for [The Glades County Democrat, Moorehaven, Florida]. I presume that Dunkin never did deliver the negatives, but somehow the pic had been published 5 years earlier with no pic credits for Wendell [1957].

The Rebel carrying the long-barreled 12 gauge shotgun is then Lt. Juan Nuiry Sanchez. [later Comandante, and retired as a General].

The Rebel walking behind him is then Lt. William Galvez, who by July 1958, was elevated to Comandante, and given his own command of a Column. After Batista fled, and Fidel & Co. were enroute to Havana [8 days on a slow trip, taken precautions] -- Raul ordered Galvez to take over the large army barracks near Cardenas, Matanzas Province [Campo Goicuria].

During February Galvez was ordered to cease roller-skating around town, as it was pissing off the M-27-Julio underground veterans, and they felt he should concentrate on business: Such as the Batistiano drive-by shooters, and rounding up the war criminals, who were then still at large, and continued to rape and pillage.

My platoon was ordered to rush there by Cmdte. Camilo Cienfuegos, and to thereafter to take care of said war criminal problems. We had several courtsmartial, and executions !!

Column # 9 was headed by Cmdte. Hubert Matos, and he had NO "Gringos" in the column, just one ex-German sailor/marine. Matos can be contacted in Miami. [He served 24 years in Castro's Gulags, having been arrested after he resigned (October 1959) his command of Camaguey Province and denounced the Communist attempts to indoctrinate his troops.]

Chairs,

GPH

And now the rest of the story:

The picture first appeared public in Life Magazine in 1957 in reference to the hostages taken by Raul at his northern camp. I think it was taken by Andrew St George. It was taken at the time that the US State Department sent a represenitive from Washington DC (Wieland or Whica ??) to negotiate the release of the American hostages. I think they settled for tractors. I am not sure if Dunkin covered this meeting at Raul's camp. I was only aware of one photographer from life Magazine.

I was under the impression that Frank Parez (phon) headed up Col 9. At least this was what I understood at the time from Frank Bender of Miami who had or was working with Westbrok (Rosales) of the DR's M-26-7. with CIA support to the students at the University of Havana I do know that Matos did head up one of the Columns. None the less I am the man behind to one you refer to as Galvez as documented in the released CIA- 202-104-10406-10212 and the FBI 302's OO Miami. Those files were released in 1996 and 1991 Congressional request and FOIA to John Winer and Dick Mc Call of Senator John Kerry's Staff.

William Galvez was with Castro in the southern part of Cuba at the time of the United Fruit hostages. There was one "Gingo with Matos for a short time before he went back to Gitmo and that was Tom Mosness (pho) also known as "The Cowboy

The rebel in front of me could be the one you speak of. But I had another name in mind a war name perhaps you can tell me that name? The picture was staged for press coverage and Velma Espin (Debra) gave me the M-1 and I fell in behind this person. Carlos was behind me. Later these rebels (Carlos) got me to a safe place and I was picked up by a Texaco PBY from Marathon and then went to Miami.

Carlos's daughter and her boyfried were both killed by Batista' goons at the Humboldt Apartment complex during a meeting. This was after the Palace Attack on Batista. Marquesto, an informant, was responsible for tipping off the police. Some years later Carlos killed Marquesto by throwing him, chained and bound froma C-46 Regina Air Cargo aircraft. I was co-pilot and Rojas was pilot IC. Sergio (?)Sanchez did have a brother who was with Castro in 1958 but not sure if he was at Rauls hidaway at the time of the hostages in 1957.

I was debriefed at Sloopy Joes on Flager St downtown Miami and the Mc Allister Hotel. (Biscanne and Flagger) We meet others across the street at Bay Front Park where we meet with Johnney Farentallo and John Martino and Larry Allen. John Martino went to a rooming house (Nellies? I think it was) to pick up a package and then all of us went to the safe house on SW 9th Terrace in Coral Gables. I had a room at the Green Mansions, Miami Springs across from Eastern Airlines. I worked for Riddle Airlines and Regina Air Cargo of Miami The Dodge Corp was our cut-out cover employment (Dodge Island is where stolden guns were stored from National Guard Armories. They were later flown, by me and others, to the M-26-7 and the Students.

"Poinsetta"

Tosh

---------------------------------

"Frank Pais" had already started an uprising in Oriente Province on the 30th of November, 1956. The original plan was for the yacht Granma to land a week before, so that Fidel and the 85 others (Castro revised the number down to"82" -- when some of the original guys defected) would provide a strike force in support.

Castro, and the "Granma" got lost, and eventually were forced to land at Belic, the westernmost cape of Oriente -- and over 150+ miles away from where Frank had staged the uprisings. Fidel's arrival was for naught, the uprising failed; and Frank Pais was later captured, tortured, and murdered.

Fidel's guys were wiped out [down to just a dozen], but were saved by "Campesino/Rustler/Peasant" Cresencio Perez. Cresencio led them to safe have in the foothills of the Sierra Maestra.

[The survivors of the Frank Pais uprising later created the "30th of November" organization. When Raul left Fidel behind in the Sierra Maestra [April 1958], he headed north to the Sierra Cristal. Within weeks he had done more skirmishes than Fidel's laggards had accomplished in the previous 17 months (since Belic). Raul styled his operation as "The Frank Pais 2nd National Front!!]

The so-called "United Fruit Hostages" story did not involve anybody from "Mamita Yunai", as ALL of the hostages were from the Nicaro Mining Corporation. "Abuelo" Silva Tablada confiscated an OS2U "Kingfisher"

at the Nicaro airstrip.

[not the single-float model catapulted off of battleships, but the "tail-dragger" 3-wheeler].

"Abuelo" quickly rigged the bird with some bombs and attacked a nearby Bastistano fortress -- and they all surrendered within 8 minutes !!

"NO Tractors" -- just a deal like with the Marines and Sailors held hostage later. "STOP arming & refueling Batista B-26s and F-47 "Thunderbolts" at GITMO. However, they did confiscate all of the trucks, Jeeps, etc.

and took them back up into the hills. They also "appropriated two "D-8" Bulldozers to be used for improving the two airstrips, and for plowing out one more.

I have a 7 inch thick file on one Wm. Robert Plumlee [from ALL Mil/Agency/Bureau sources -- plus some interesting letters from Dick Clark and his show producers]; and I really don't think that you want me to "scan" them ??!!

The picture taken of Raul was NOT taken at his Mayari Arriba headquarters, but at the Nicaro Mining airstrip.

Both CIA officers Ron Cruziero and Wiecha accompanied Deputy-Und/Secy-Lat/Am-Affairs Wm. A. Wieland from GITMO.

The USMC helicopter was from Marine Squadron HMR-362, normally based at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. The pilot was a buddy of mine, and we flew together with the 1st Marine Brigade in the Pacific

[3rd M.A.W./FMF-Pacific]. NO C-46 ever landed at Raul's two airstrips -- Mayari Arriba or at Calabasas.

The largest aircraft to ever land there, other than Howard K. "Davy" Davis' "Stagger-Wing Beech" was the two F-51 "Mustangs" that Michel Yabor & Adolpho Diaz flew in during November 1958. The ONLY gun-runners flying in for Raul in the "2nd Front" (Sierra Cristal) were Pedro Diaz Lanz, Yabor, Sergio Sanjenis, Jorge Sotu, and Davy.

[Diaz Lanz was later to replace Capt. Orestes Del Rio as Chief of the Rebel Air Force after arrival in Havana. He later defected, along with his brother Marcos, and Frank Fiorini Sturgis during July 1959.]

Juan Nuiry Sanchez (with the shotgun) used the war name "Anibal" for a short time [spanish for "Hannibal"].

The pic was taken by Wendell Hoffman, and it was within 200 yards of Fidel's headquarters at Minas del Frio.

William Galvez's column took the long march to the West [with Che & Camilo], leaving Fidel to keep bullxxxxting the peasants to death.

Galvez missed the battle of Santa Clara, but that didn't stop him from grabbing a load of guns and ammo from my plane -- after landing at Mayajigua [Las Villas]. He also took Paul Hughes load from his twin Commanche -- and that load was supposed to go to Menoyo and the S.F.N.E. Rebels in the Escambray.

Raul later married "Vilma Espin". She died of breast cancer over 20+ years ago !! Her war name "Debora" was never used after Jan. 1959.

I have William Galvez's telephone number in Cardenas, if anybody wants to call and verify that: He is the one walking behind "Anibal". Or I can get his e-mail address from his cousin in Coral Springs, Florida.

You are dealing with somebody he was there, "Walking-the-Walk" -- "But-NOT-Talking-the-Talk" -- Just LISTENING & LEARNING !!

We are a small "family", and despite our "political" differences, we oftentimes stay in touch [between CONUS & Cuba] -- so I wouldn't tread too close to the real history/facts of guys who came from a small "family" of Rebels !! And especially not when we ALL knew one another; and quite a few of those still breathing, continue to stay in touch -- as often as it is safe to do so.

NOTE: The #21 Humboldt address was never used after Echevarria, Joe Westbrook, et al. were arrested, and later murdered shortly thereafter -- That is to say; NOT after the week of 13th March, 1957.

There were about 50 "Gringos" and other nationalities, working the "Cuban Deal"; and those of us who have survived, stay in contact. Like I said, it was a small "Family" and we all knew one another.

Gerhard Droller ["Frank Bender"] worked for Harvey in Berlin until 1960, and was never near Cuba until then !! He was totally ignorant of recent Cuban history, and didn't knpw a word of Spanish !! So I am puzzled how he would have mentioned any of the #21 guys, or anybody else previous to 1960 ??!!

NOBODY ever flew out of the Marathon, Key West or Coral Reef Country Club airstrips during the 1957-59 period. Monroe County Sheriff's deputies [paid by Customs] watched all three strips like Hawks. Everybody always flew NORTH if departing south Florida, and then turned east near Hobe Sound [Palm Beach]. After hugging the deck across Lake Okeechobee, and crossing the A.D.I.Z. at under 200 feet, so as to stay under Grand Bahama Air Force Base [u.S.] radar until making the turn to the southeast , and past the radar at Governeur's Harbor [Eleuthera, 57 miles northeast of Nassau].

[The "Hobe Sound Maneuver" kept us below the N.A.S. "Banana River" Radar. Its name changed to Patrick Air Force Base when the "Zoomies" took over.]

The farthest south anybody ever launched from was: At the abandoned Immokalee airport [Naples]; and that was for delivering to the Pinar del Rio ProvinceRebels [westernmost Cuba] that Neil Macauley later joined. [Cmdte. Dermidio Escalona in command] Flying due west [and on the deck] till well past Fort Jefferson [Dry Tortugas]; insured our avoiding the radars at Tampa [McDill], Avon Park Gunnery Range [Polk County], and N.A.S. Boca Chica [Key West] !!

Chairs,

GPH

Quite some time back on another forum we were discussing the guy in the image below, the one wearing the silver cross around his neck. Due to some unfriendly people who kept redirecting the thread, I found myself completely confused.

I believe the man wearing the silver cross was identified as Sergio Sanchez, brother of Celia Sanchez.

The next morning, November 22, 1963, about 4:30-5 a.m., our weather briefing was not favorable for a VFR flight into Dallas's Red Bird airport. We selected Garland as an alternate in case the weather had not improved by the time we arrived near Dallas air space.... I only began to learn the full scope of the operation from my pilot Rojas and a field operative friend of mine named Sergio.... Although my specific assigned function was only as a pilot, upon arriving at Redbird Airport, Sergio asked me if I wanted to come along and see the President. I could also act as a spotter for him and his team, which, he said, were assigned to the south side of the plaza. I was told other members of the team would be patrolling the north side and the overpass. I understood we would be looking for a type of triangulation ambush. I gladly accepted Sergio's offer. It seemed like an adventure I didn't want to miss. We were driven from Red Bird Airport to a place not far from the Oak Cliff Country Club, then driven to Dealey Plaza, where we (Sergio and I) checked various areas and attempted to spot potential members of an attack team from the position on the South Knoll.... While on the south knoll, Sergio and I were attempting to evaluate the most logical places where shooters might be located, but everything was confused, the timing was off, team members were late getting into position. They were not where they were supposed to be and the limited radio contacts that we had with them were not working, or spotty at best. It was soon after our arrival that the motorcade arrived. When the shots rang out, I had the impression of 4 or 5 shots, with one being fired from behind and to my left on the South Knoll, near the underpass and south parking lot. While leaving via the south side of the underpass near the train tracks, Sergio and I smelled gunpowder....

While he's at it, maybe Tosh could identify the men in the above photo?

T.C.

All I know about him is he was with Frank's Colum 9, or had been with, I was told. I had his war name at one time and his picture was hanging up in the old Alpha-66 Hdq before they move. I am the one behind him. I was only there because a weapons drop to Raul and Debora Espin (pho) went bad and they help me get out after our aircraft went down. I was not active with the rebels as some have said. Some of this has been posted on other places and it should be checked out. I am working of memory. I sure some will take exceptions. None the less, I am doing my best and can only talk about what I know or what I think I know. In 1957 I was 20.

-----------------------------------------

The photo was taken by Wendell Hoffman, Bob Taber's photographer. Wendell gave some of his exposed roles of film to Tom Dunkin, who took them out to Miami.

When Wendell was at No Name Key, during September 1962, he met with Tom, and reminded Dunkin that: He had never seen any of the pix after that point in time [April 1957]. Dunkin told him he had them at his office -- at the newspaper he worked for [The Glades County Democrat, Moorehaven, Florida]. I presume that Dunkin never did deliver the negatives, but somehow the pic had been published 5 years earlier with no pic credits for Wendell [1957].

The Rebel carrying the long-barreled 12 gauge shotgun is then Lt. Juan Nuiry Sanchez. [later Comandante, and retired as a General].

The Rebel walking behind him is then Lt. William Galvez, who by July 1958, was elevated to Comandante, and given his own command of a Column. After Batista fled, and Fidel & Co. were enroute to Havana [8 days on a slow trip, taken precautions] -- Raul ordered Galvez to take over the large army barracks near Cardenas, Matanzas Province [Campo Goicuria].

During February Galvez was ordered to cease roller-skating around town, as it was pissing off the M-27-Julio underground veterans, and they felt he should concentrate on business: Such as the Batistiano drive-by shooters, and rounding up the war criminals, who were then still at large, and continued to rape and pillage.

My platoon was ordered to rush there by Cmdte. Camilo Cienfuegos, and to thereafter to take care of said war criminal problems. We had several courtsmartial, and executions !!

Column # 9 was headed by Cmdte. Hubert Matos, and he had NO "Gringos" in the column, just one ex-German sailor/marine. Matos can be contacted in Miami. [He served 24 years in Castro's Gulags, having been arrested after he resigned (October 1959) his command of Camaguey Province and denounced the Communist attempts to indoctrinate his troops.]

Chairs,

GPH

And now the rest of the story:

The picture first appeared public in Life Magazine in 1957 in reference to the hostages taken by Raul at his northern camp. I think it was taken by Andrew St George. It was taken at the time that the US State Department sent a represenitive from Washington DC (Wieland or Whica ??) to negotiate the release of the American hostages. I think they settled for tractors. I am not sure if Dunkin covered this meeting at Raul's camp. I was only aware of one photographer from life Magazine.

I was under the impression that Frank Parez (phon) headed up Col 9. At least this was what I understood at the time from Frank Bender of Miami who had or was working with Westbrok (Rosales) of the DR's M-26-7. with CIA support to the students at the University of Havana I do know that Matos did head up one of the Columns. None the less I am the man behind to one you refer to as Galvez as documented in the released CIA- 202-104-10406-10212 and the FBI 302's OO Miami. Those files were released in 1996 and 1991 Congressional request and FOIA to John Winer and Dick Mc Call of Senator John Kerry's Staff.

William Galvez was with Castro in the southern part of Cuba at the time of the United Fruit hostages. There was one "Gingo with Matos for a short time before he went back to Gitmo and that was Tom Mosness (pho) also known as "The Cowboy

The rebel in front of me could be the one you speak of. But I had another name in mind a war name perhaps you can tell me that name? The picture was staged for press coverage and Velma Espin (Debra) gave me the M-1 and I fell in behind this person. Carlos was behind me. Later these rebels (Carlos) got me to a safe place and I was picked up by a Texaco PBY from Marathon and then went to Miami.

Carlos's daughter and her boyfried were both killed by Batista' goons at the Humboldt Apartment complex during a meeting. This was after the Palace Attack on Batista. Marquesto, an informant, was responsible for tipping off the police. Some years later Carlos killed Marquesto by throwing him, chained and bound froma C-46 Regina Air Cargo aircraft. I was co-pilot and Rojas was pilot IC. Sergio (?)Sanchez did have a brother who was with Castro in 1958 but not sure if he was at Rauls hidaway at the time of the hostages in 1957.

I was debriefed at Sloopy Joes on Flager St downtown Miami and the Mc Allister Hotel. (Biscanne and Flagger) We meet others across the street at Bay Front Park where we meet with Johnney Farentallo and John Martino and Larry Allen. John Martino went to a rooming house (Nellies? I think it was) to pick up a package and then all of us went to the safe house on SW 9th Terrace in Coral Gables. I had a room at the Green Mansions, Miami Springs across from Eastern Airlines. I worked for Riddle Airlines and Regina Air Cargo of Miami The Dodge Corp was our cut-out cover employment (Dodge Island is where stolden guns were stored from National Guard Armories. They were later flown, by me and others, to the M-26-7 and the Students.

"Poinsetta"

Tosh

---------------------------------

"Frank Pais" had already started an uprising in Oriente Province on the 30th of November, 1956. The original plan was for the yacht Granma to land a week before, so that Fidel and the 85 others (Castro revised the number down to"82" -- when some of the original guys defected) would provide a strike force in support.

Castro, and the "Granma" got lost, and eventually were forced to land at Belic, the westernmost cape of Oriente -- and over 150+ miles away from where Frank had staged the uprisings. Fidel's arrival was for naught, the uprising failed; and Frank Pais was later captured, tortured, and murdered.

Fidel's guys were wiped out [down to just a dozen], but were saved by "Campesino/Rustler/Peasant" Cresencio Perez. Cresencio led them to safe have in the foothills of the Sierra Maestra.

[The survivors of the Frank Pais uprising later created the "30th of November" organization. When Raul left Fidel behind in the Sierra Maestra [April 1958], he headed north to the Sierra Cristal. Within weeks he had done more skirmishes than Fidel's laggards had accomplished in the previous 17 months (since Belic). Raul styled his operation as "The Frank Pais 2nd National Front!!]

The so-called "United Fruit Hostages" story did not involve anybody from "Mamita Yunai", as ALL of the hostages were from the Nicaro Mining Corporation. "Abuelo" Silva Tablada confiscated an OS2U "Kingfisher"

at the Nicaro airstrip.

[not the single-float model catapulted off of battleships, but the "tail-dragger" 3-wheeler].

"Abuelo" quickly rigged the bird with some bombs and attacked a nearby Bastistano fortress -- and they all surrendered within 8 minutes !!

"NO Tractors" -- just a deal like with the Marines and Sailors held hostage later. "STOP arming & refueling Batista B-26s and F-47 "Thunderbolts" at GITMO. However, they did confiscate all of the trucks, Jeeps, etc.

and took them back up into the hills. They also "appropriated two "D-8" Bulldozers to be used for improving the two airstrips, and for plowing out one more.

I have a 7 inch thick file on one Wm. Robert Plumlee [from ALL Mil/Agency/Bureau sources -- plus some interesting letters from Dick Clark and his show producers]; and I really don't think that you want me to "scan" them ??!!

The picture taken of Raul was NOT taken at his Mayari Arriba headquarters, but at the Nicaro Mining airstrip.

Both CIA officers Ron Cruziero and Wiecha accompanied Deputy-Und/Secy-Lat/Am-Affairs Wm. A. Wieland from GITMO.

The USMC helicopter was from Marine Squadron HMR-362, normally based at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. The pilot was a buddy of mine, and we flew together with the 1st Marine Brigade in the Pacific

[3rd M.A.W./FMF-Pacific]. NO C-46 ever landed at Raul's two airstrips -- Mayari Arriba or at Calabasas.

The largest aircraft to ever land there, other than Howard K. "Davy" Davis' "Stagger-Wing Beech" was the two F-51 "Mustangs" that Michel Yabor & Adolpho Diaz flew in during November 1958. The ONLY gun-runners flying in for Raul in the "2nd Front" (Sierra Cristal) were Pedro Diaz Lanz, Yabor, Sergio Sanjenis, Jorge Sotu, and Davy.

[Diaz Lanz was later to replace Capt. Orestes Del Rio as Chief of the Rebel Air Force after arrival in Havana. He later defected, along with his brother Marcos, and Frank Fiorini Sturgis during July 1959.]

Juan Nuiry Sanchez (with the shotgun) used the war name "Anibal" for a short time [spanish for "Hannibal"].

The pic was taken by Wendell Hoffman, and it was within 200 yards of Fidel's headquarters at Minas del Frio.

William Galvez's column took the long march to the West [with Che & Camilo], leaving Fidel to keep bullxxxxting the peasants to death.

Galvez missed the battle of Santa Clara, but that didn't stop him from grabbing a load of guns and ammo from my plane -- after landing at Mayajigua [Las Villas]. He also took Paul Hughes load from his twin Commanche -- and that load was supposed to go to Menoyo and the S.F.N.E. Rebels in the Escambray.

Raul later married "Vilma Espin". She died of breast cancer over 20+ years ago !! Her war name "Debora" was never used after Jan. 1959.

I have William Galvez's telephone number in Cardenas, if anybody wants to call and verify that: He is the one walking behind "Anibal". Or I can get his e-mail address from his cousin in Coral Springs, Florida.

You are dealing with somebody he was there, "Walking-the-Walk" -- "But-NOT-Talking-the-Talk" -- Just LISTENING & LEARNING !!

We are a small "family", and despite our "political" differences, we oftentimes stay in touch [between CONUS & Cuba] -- so I wouldn't tread too close to the real history/facts of guys who came from a small "family" of Rebels !! And especially not when we ALL knew one another; and quite a few of those still breathing, continue to stay in touch -- as often as it is safe to do so.

NOTE: The #21 Humboldt address was never used after Echevarria, Joe Westbrook, et al. were arrested, and later murdered shortly thereafter -- That is to say; NOT after the week of 13th March, 1957.

There were about 50 "Gringos" and other nationalities, working the "Cuban Deal"; and those of us who have survived, stay in contact. Like I said, it was a small "Family" and we all knew one another.

Gerhard Droller ["Frank Bender"] worked for Harvey in Berlin until 1960, and was never near Cuba until then !! He was totally ignorant of recent Cuban history, and didn't knpw a word of Spanish !! So I am puzzled how he would have mentioned any of the #21 guys, or anybody else previous to 1960 ??!!

NOBODY ever flew out of the Marathon, Key West or Coral Reef Country Club airstrips during the 1957-59 period. Monroe County Sheriff's deputies [paid by Customs] watched all three strips like Hawks. Everybody always flew NORTH if departing south Florida, and then turned east near Hobe Sound [Palm Beach]. After hugging the deck across Lake Okeechobee, and crossing the A.D.I.Z. at under 200 feet, so as to stay under Grand Bahama Air Force Base [u.S.] radar until making the turn to the southeast , and past the radar at Governeur's Harbor [Eleuthera, 57 miles northeast of Nassau].

[The "Hobe Sound Maneuver" kept us below the N.A.S. "Banana River" Radar. Its name changed to Patrick Air Force Base when the "Zoomies" took over.]

The farthest south anybody ever launched from was: At the abandoned Immokalee airport [Naples]; and that was for delivering to the Pinar del Rio ProvinceRebels [westernmost Cuba] that Neil Macauley later joined. [Cmdte. Dermidio Escalona in command] Flying due west [and on the deck] till well past Fort Jefferson [Dry Tortugas]; insured our avoiding the radars at Tampa [McDill], Avon Park Gunnery Range [Polk County], and N.A.S. Boca Chica [Key West] !!

Chairs,

GPH

To GPH:

Thank You. for your information. However, would you please footnote and reference your statements and paraghs. This would be a help to real researchers and historians in order to establish a true record of your activities and adventures. I will likewise try and do the same.

As to your claims about me... big deal. I know more than you think about your phony background info on me and my friends. It is very important for you to be sure nobody investigates you and publishes what they find. However, this is not what this Forum is all about... >>>< so buzz off Flake and let others get on with their work.

You have been ask by many to answer direct questions about your statements over the years... for whatever reasons you side step those questions and go into long writings and comments that go nowhere.

Don't you think the time has come to really be of help (if you are and have done ALL the things you say you have done over the years and you are who you say you are) don't you think its about time to be of some help to the research community in their quest for truth?

Sir. I will no longer respond to you committs about me or other matters you post. You are a wast of my time.

P.S. I did receive your E-mail threat directed toward me... You and your "Buddies" take your best shot. I will not be intiminated by you or anyone.

End

Edited by William Plumlee

Raul later married "Vilma Espin". She died of breast cancer over 20+ years ago !! Her war name "Debora" was never used after Jan. 1959. (Gerry Hemming)

The image below shows Vilma Espin in the middle, Dickey Chapelle on the left and I believe the man is Antonio Lusson.

FWIW.

James

Mr. Plumlee and Mr Hemming...

Could I get your comments on a Cesar(io) Diosdado and/or recollections? Mr. Plumlee, I queried you on this once before and you made mention of Illipango. Thanks guys.

Jason Vermeer

I will let my esteem friend in arms, GPH, go first on this.

Perhaps HE can enlighten us with his references, documentation, and background.

I will follow.

However, until that time I will refer you to Gene Wheaton, Mike Rupart, and Peter Dale Scott, as well as John Simkin. I think they, as well as others, have solid documentation on this person which might clear a few questionable matters.

Also or another note:

Gerry. Could you footnote and reference this previous post you posted for us:

".....I inserted him into the drug interdiction Ops after my return from Africa during July, 1966. After seven months of UC work, he opted not to go to Vietnam [March 1967; and with about $1.3 million "skimmed" from the dopers -- he retired to the "Costa del Sol" in Spain [summer 1967].

(a passport stamp for the dates of entry and departure would help)

Do you have a current "security clearance"? Have you ever had a "security clearance"? if so what type, who issued it, when, and where?..

Have you ever been "turn down" for a clearance or had one "revoked"?

Thanks for your help.

END

Raul later married "Vilma Espin". She died of breast cancer over 20+ years ago !! Her war name "Debora" was never used after Jan. 1959. (Gerry Hemming)

The image below shows Vilma Espin in the middle, Dickey Chapelle on the left and I believe the man is Antonio Lusson.

FWIW.

James

Velma Espin (Debra) gave me the M-1 and I fell in behind this person. Carlos was behind me. I was not aware she had passed away. I was under the impression that she and Raul had a child.

note; Carlos was behind Danny Sullivan. Sullivan was behind me. Velma was using the code name Debroa in 1957 when the hostages were being held by Raul in northen Cuba.

Edited by William Plumlee

I believe it would be helpful if we could establish some perspective on all this information. Is there anything upon which Tosh and Gerry agree? Is it possible a lot of their 'differences" are simply the by-product of memory erosion? Or is it a pure slam-dunk fact that at least one of them is lying?

Gerry, are you willing to accept any part of Tosh's story? Is there anyone who knows both of you, who could help sort this all out? Tosh, can you think of anyone who knew both you and Gerry, who could help set the record straight?

Edited by Pat Speer

Please Mr. Plumlee... I don't wish for you to "wait for the other" simply recall your experiences or opinions. There is nothing in the literature that I am not aware of already regarding Diosdado. If you are unwilling to disclose whatever you may know simply say so. You mentioned Illipango some time ago. Are you willing to elaborate on this? Anything you can contribute please...Jason Vermeer

I believe it would be helpful if we could establish some perspective on all this information. Is there anything upon which Tosh and Gerry agree? Is it possible a lot of their 'differences" are simply the by-product of memory erosion? Or is it a pure slam-dunk fact that at least one of them is lying?

Gerry, are you willing to accept any part of Tosh's story? Is there anyone who know both of you, who could help sort this all out? Tosh, can you think of anyone who knew both you and Gerry, who could help set the record straight?

Pablo Duran's son... still in Miami, SW 9th Ter. (?) I think. The Fuller,family and members of the late 'Wild Bill" Harvey's family as well as members of Sam Giacana and John Roselli's family. Senator Berry Goldwaters records and family members, Tucson Arizona.

Senator Gary Hart. of Colorado. Bill Holden of Denver Colo. Wendell Seal of Louisiana and Henry Seal,( the old Henry Seal Aviation Dallas, Love Field Texas; Jody Foster daughter of Bill Cooper, and Carl Riner Jet West Aviation Reno, Nevada. (reference; Bill Cooper)

Chubby Winer owner of "Starlight Cruises, Marathon Key Fla. Carl ?? Scanner owner of the DC-3's at Marathon FL. Dick Poto of Marathon can be located through the Police Department. (reference the Plum Key Raid): Craig Smith Miami Dade County Homicide Div, Miami FL; (ret)

. Most of these people were contacted in 1991 by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Congressional investigators prior to close door testimony.

Gene Wheaton had interviewed some of these people prior to his testimony in Washington DC, I was told this by Dick Mc Call and John Winner of Senator Kerry's staff who are now with the US State Department.

Porter Gross CIA.

Paul Lee, CIA contacts Div, Denver, Colorado.

Denver FBI references to SAC Scott Warner

"Shaggy" friend of KIki Guat MX DEA (ret) background Quintero and the Ranch.

Please Mr. Plumlee... I don't wish for you to "wait for the other" simply recall your experiences or opinions. There is nothing in the literature that I am not aware of already regarding Diosdado. If you are unwilling to disclose whatever you may know simply say so. You mentioned Illipango some time ago. Are you willing to elaborate on this? Anything you can contribute please...Jason Vermeer

I will get back to you on the Hanger #3 and other matters. Perhaps you can post what I said some time ago until I can get my notes and documentation in order. I will not go on memory on this important point.

I made that mistake once before. Is he still in the Keys? Was it ever established that he was working with the "Miami Five" and the Homestead Air Force caper? I did not follow much after 1992. The Hanger was DEA and MI..., kind of like a "super market for weapons and other things.., but I'm sure you know that. I will give you a recap of what I think and what I do know.

Do you have a copy of 'I Ran Drugs for Uncle Sam by Neal Matthews of the San Diego Reader, April 5, 1990'?

In that article is a published military/DEA map with all the documented fly ways and stagging points and other details about the drug war and 'Hanger # 3 and what went on there from the viewpoint of military and DEA, UC pilots.

I'm sure someone has a copy they would share with you and until I get my material together. I sure that will help you a lot in reference to you interest. Neal Matthews is in San Diego He was in the ph book as of 2000. You might ask him for a copy or how to find one.

I do have a life and I do want to help, but I have been on this for four days now.., in my view trying to help. I do not intend to get drawn into he did he did'nt debates for whatever reasons. Nor will I be 'bird doged' into sucker traps for special interest reasons or projects. I am not say that this is your intentions. If I can help I will. Tosh

FWIW.

James

--------------------------------

James:

Comandante Antonio Enrique Lusson permitted the only American in his "Columna" -- to use one of Dickey's cameras to take this photo near Palma Soriano, during late 1958. the then 17 year old Leutenant ["Teniente"] Donald Soldini, didn't want either his photo taken, nor his name mentioned in her later article in "Readers Digest".

Don Soldini was interviewed a few years back by Miami New Times, and the article was styled as "Cuba's Yanqui Fidelistas" -- and can be found on the Web. Also interviewed were the three young kids from GITMO who went up into the Sierra Maestra to join Fidel for a short period. Only the oldest, Ryan stayed on when the others returned to the base. One of the three turned strongly anti-Fidel many years ago.

The only "Gringo" there with Dickey who consented to "go public" was: U.S. Marine Corps deserter Gerald "Gerry" Holzthaus, who upon return to CONUS -- was convicted and sent to the Portsmouth, New Hampshire Naval Prison for 3 years. I last visited with him at his Daytona Beach home during the 1970s.

Fidel financed Don Soldini's education at the University of Mexico (D.F.); and Jim Bishop wrote a story about him during the 1960s. Don has been an international land developer for over 50+ years, and visits Cuba about every 4 months. He and his sons also live and do business in Fort Lauderdale, and I doubt that he would discuss anything over the telephone with anybody !! But he WILL tell you about this phony "Tooshee" having never been anywhere near the M-26-Julio Ops, or even inside the island of Cuba, EVER !!

[Of course, when Don calls Havana, and they later send up some material, "Tooshie" will then claim that they are a bunch of "Lying Commies"!!]

Dickey's biographer [Ostroff] interviewed me during 1988 for her book "Fire in the Wind". Dickeys papers were at the University of Michigan, but have since been transferred to the U. of Wisconsin at Madison. My daughter lives and works there, and it would be no great difficulty to explore why I am in the book.

And moreover, WHY there is absolutely No reference to Mr. "Tooshie" to be found ANYWHERE. He appears no where in any government documents such as: "U.S. Citizens in Cuba" -- "List of Pilots involved in Cuba", "Pilots restricted from Cuban Airspace", etc., and etc., ad nauseum !!

Much too long I had given "Tooshie" the benefit of the doubt, but NOT as someone who might embellish here and there; but, what we in the USMC/Naval service call "Sea Stories". When he went overboard on EVERYTHING years ago, many of my associates demanded retribution and correction.

I have tired of the telephone calls and e-mails from pissed off Cubans and Americans -- who are frequently being sent "hard-copy" of "Tooshee", and this is via Google & this Forum's postings. As for my security clearance here at Fort Bragg, it remains at "Crypto/Q".

As for his reference to a threatening e-mail "from me"; I suggest that he publish the "headers" of same which trace it back to the sender. If he fails to do so,, then I will assist him by contacting the Secret Service in this matter next week.

[bTW: I now have a videotape copy of "Tooshee's" lying interview scam performance taken a while back. Anybody interested in: "..how he "has trouble while on film..??!!]

Once again [might have been repeated typos on his part] -- Raul Castro didn't move his operation north to the Sierra Cristal until, bored to death, he "upped-and-moved" during APRIL, 1958 !!

Chairs, [and it has nothing to do with furniture, per se]

GPH

Tosh:

I know I don't have to say this, but I get the distinct impression from GPH's posts that he is trying to intimidate you. Use of name calling, threatening email. Sounds like your presence here is quite threatening to him. I do hope that you will remain on the forum, at what ever level that you see fit, and perhaps some of this WILL actually get sorted out. I thank you for the thoughtful answers you give to poster's questions. We don't have many left on this planet who are a true part of this history and I think all here are most grateful for your contributions.

Gerry: Sorry you found my question to be so stupid, but why should Joan Mellen SAY you told her Helms ordered the hit? You admit you "wasted (your) time with" her, so you obviously told her things. You throw the term "lawsuit" around fast and loose, like your buddy Gratz. What are your DAMAGES? Harm to your so- called reputation?

I think if you are going to be here and others ask you reasonable questions regarding discrepancies in what you have said over the years, these are valid questions. Unless your real role here is to just yank people's chain.

Dawn

Comandante Antonio Enrique Lusson permitted the only American in his "Columna" -- to use one of Dickey's cameras to take this photo near Palma Soriano, during late 1958. the then 17 year old Leutenant ["Teniente"] Donald Soldini, didn't want either his photo taken, nor his name mentioned in her later article in "Readers Digest".

Don Soldini was interviewed a few years back by Miami New Times, and the article was styled as "Cuba's Yanqui Fidelistas" -- and can be found on the Web. Also interviewed were the three young kids from GITMO who went up into the Sierra Maestra to join Fidel for a short period. Only the oldest, Ryan stayed on when the others returned to the base. One of the three turned strongly anti-Fidel many years ago.

The only "Gringo" there with Dickey who consented to "go public" was: U.S. Marine Corps deserter Gerald "Gerry" Holzthaus, who upon return to CONUS -- was convicted and sent to the Portsmouth, New Hampshire Naval Prison for 3 years. I last visited with him at his Daytona Beach home during the 1970s. (Gerry Hemming)

Thanks, Gerry. That's terrific stuff.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Soldini also in contact with Marita Lorenz in Cuba?

Anyway, the attachment below shows Antonio Lusson having some target practise.

James

Tosh,

I wonder if you could take a look at the attached photos and tell me who the Anglo is. I am sure you know Jesus, the Latino, but I never knew the identity of the anglo. These photos were taken in the fall of '81 in Puerta Limon on the day we met. The anglo appeared about the same time you did so I assume you know who he is.

Al